Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 43

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Apocalypse started off very promising and I was very optimistic but I'm not sure where it changed sometime after the Horsemen got recruited I disliked how they just became mute except for Magneto. The movie had promise but they dropped the ball not to mention the final battle was so ridiculously quick I was expecting more. Some of the CGI was just painfully bad it was like a lot of the movie was just rushed and it messed things up. Though I did enjoy Apocalypse it was lacking and they just cut to many things that should've been left in the movie, like my gripe was Storm was never mentioned by her code name or her real name she is just known as the black chick with white hair. The little we got from Shipp though I was impressed by and I thought all the young cast actually did a great job they just didn't have much to work with. Angel and Psylocke were just completely wasted. I like what Singer has done in the past but we just need someone else onboard he dosent have the handle on all the characters I would want.

i definitely agree with that.

still not sure why Singer had to make apocalypse give her white hair... or why it is that singer can't seem to let mutants be mutants.. why Xavier needed an event to be bald, why rogue needed magneto.. why storm needed apocalypse.. some mutants are just born that way... (in storms case it was ancestry) but still... why he had to make a "to do" about all 3 of their hair i do not understand its like he was too afraid to make them "that much of freaks"

Last edited:
We definitely need a change in focus so that Storm gets more character and the emphasis moves away from Xavier, Magneto and Mystique.

J-Law didn't bring a box office boost to XM:A, so the studio's thinking on the importance of her role is proved without a doubt to be misguided and erroneous.

Get rid of Mystique and Magneto from the next movie. It will save money and allow others to get a slice of the screentime.

bingo

Quicksilver may not have been an X-Man in the comics but chances are he is gonna be an X-Man for the next movie and they probably won't treat him less of an X-Man than the others by singling him out.

if they skip a decade who knows what the status quo will be.. everyone thought for sure Nightcrawler would be in X3 and DOFP neither happened.

if they skip a decade who knows what the status quo will be.. everyone thought for sure Nightcrawler would be in X3 and DOFP neither happened.

Since they have quicksilver in a good position for the next movie where he can be part of the action... Yeah he will still be there ;p

I can't see why they would get rid of any of the others either so I imagine they will keep the current set up.

Last edited:
Quicksilver was by far the best received of the new recruits, so he absolutely should be a big part of the next film.

Disagree entirely. He's vastly overpowered and in each film a special sequence has to be constructed because of him, so he doesn't have a natural place in the story; it's all very contrived.

Disagree entirely. He's vastly overpowered and in each film a special sequence has to be constructed because of him, so he doesn't have a natural place in the story; it's all very contrived.

i agree... i think they're spending too much time and budget on him when we don't really have to see it all from his perspective EVERY time he's in a film

He has still been the stand out character for a LOT of people so whether he gets another special sequence or not its still not very likely that they won't have him there.

Quicksilver is an X-man

tumblr_o9cedlG4be1skjrdeo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Im fine with the core team for the next film being Scott, Jean, Storm, Kurt and Polaris as a new recruit with Warren joining midway through

Since they have quicksilver in a good position for the next movie where he can be part of the action... Yeah he will still be there ;p

I can't see why they would get rid of any of the others either so I imagine they will keep the current set up.

So you just want the same things over and over again?

You keep saying we will get more Magneto, more Mystique, more Quicksilver, as if the only thing a sequel can do is give us more of the same. It's really tired thinking.

XM:A was supposed to be a closure of the existing trilogy and a chance to shift gears for the next trilogy. That doesn't mean giving us the same thing over and over and over and over and over. Have some imagination. It's like you're a hamster stuck on its wheel going round and round and unable to get off.

Magneto could easily skip a movie. Quicksilver made it clear he is hesitant about raising the 'daddy issue'.

In my view, if they do another movie with this young cast, Magneto should be absent and Mystique also should be explained out of the story.

At the end, Quicksilver decides to go and find Magneto, and that could lead to a House of M / Genosha inspired sequel.

But the very next film should build the team dynamic between Storm, Jean, Cyclops and Nightcrawler. It was a mistake to write out Banshee and Emma Frost, as they (or Banshee at least) would have made good additions to the team (they could have been found imprisoned at Alkali Lake in XM:A)...

I agree with you, both Mystique and Magneto I want a break from seeing them in every movie especially if using this characters gives the other characters very little screentime. They need to focus on the team dynamic of the new recruits Storm,Jean,Scott,Nightcrawler and Jubilee who was seriously mishandled in Apocalypse. I also agree it was a serious mistake possibly killing off Emma and Banshee offscreen it's a major complaint I've had in this movie and a stupid decision on their part. I would have really loved to see Caleb return as Banshee I was disappointed in that. I'm just not happy at all with the direction they are taking this franchise so many mishaps.

So you just want the same things over and over again?

Its not about what i want its about the most logical bet for what we will get, me saying i want something isn't gonna make it likely to happen

You keep saying we will get more Magneto, more Mystique, more Quicksilver, as if the only thing a sequel can do is give us more of the same. It's really tired thinking.

Having them involved doesn't necessarily mean you are getting more of the same its just the most logical bet to assume there will be enough connective tissue to apocalypse that they will want michael and jen to have some involvement since chances are none of the producers or even any director that comes on board will look at it as tired thinking.

And any thought in general of reducing quicksilvers part just sounds so crazy at this point, its hard to take any thought like that seriously

Last edited:
Disagree entirely. He's vastly overpowered and in each film a special sequence has to b constructed because of him, so he doesn't have a natural place in the story; it's all very contrived.

I think this Quicksilver is great and Peter's definitely brings charisma to the role. But I think they made a mistake placing him with the X-Men. He should have left with Magneto and that should have been the last we see of him for a while.

In terms of character based dynamic the team actually has a good balanced group, quicksilver and nightcrawler are the comic relief of the group and stops everyone feeling abit too serious.

Last edited:
Its not about what i want its about the most logical bet for what we will get, me saying i want something isn't gonna make it likely to happen

Having them involved doesn't necessarily mean you are getting more of the same its just the most logical bet to assume there will be enough connective tissue to apocalypse that they will want michael and jen to have some involvement since chances are none of the producers or even any director that comes on board will look at it as tired thinking.

And any thought in general of reducing quicksilvers part just sounds so crazy at this point, its hard to take any thought like that seriously

I don't think it's that logical or predictable though.

It was expected that Nightcrawler would join the team in X3, that Rogue was moving towards a stronger role and that Cyclops would be a key part of the Phoenix Saga.

And after First Class, it was expected that Emma Frost, Banshee and even Azazel would feature in the next film.

Bottom line is that they can do whatever they want. A different director could shake things up completely. And actors' availability and contract demands can have an effect.

I don't think it's that logical or predictable though.

It was expected that Nightcrawler would join the team in X3, that Rogue was moving towards a stronger role and that Cyclops would be a key part of the Phoenix Saga.

And after First Class, it was expected that Emma Frost, Banshee and even Azazel would feature in the next film.

Bottom line is that they can do whatever they want. A different director could shake things up completely. And actors' availability and contract demands can have an effect.

Well how many xmen movies haven't had magneto or mystique? Obviously that could change but in the long You can hope Michael fassbender isn't available to come back or you can try and see it through the eyes of the guys making these movies, I mean who from a creative point would decide against for example having scenes between quicksilver a magneto?

In terms of what they do with characters it doesn't count, just because rogue wasn't given a certain role isn't the same as say just not having rogue in the movie

I ain't gonna mention quicksilver because I could see if someone in a script meeting said hey guys I know quickie has gone down well with the audience in the last 2 movies but maybe we shouldn't have him in the next movie.... I could see a lot of looking around the room before people burst into laughter tbh

Last edited:
there remains to be seen when we will get another X-men film since they seem to be focusing on spin off films so pointless to be arguring.

it is going to detmine first off who is doing the film with Kinberg

then who from the first class cast they want to neograte deals with to come
back.since Mystique is training them at end of apocalypse she could be back.

Apocalypse seemed to be setting up Cyclops and jean for bigger roles but
it remains to be seen if they will follow through on it.that depends who does
the next film.

Chances are either way the team dynamic of Cyclops,Jean,Storm,Nightcrawler and Quicksilver would likely get abit more focus in another movie since we haven't seen how they work as a team yet but at the same time its like saying saying hey maybe wolverine won't be in X-Men apocalypse... No they apparently always knew from the start they wanted him involved in some way and he was.

I think that's the best way to describe his role in Apocalypse, unfortunately. If Peters does return, they need to find a more natural fit for the character.

They have pretty much him a natural fit with the ending of apocalypse. it may not be one people recognise from the comics but for this film version it's a fine fit.

I remember watching DOFP and thinking that Quicksilver's scene was one of the best moments in the whole franchise, but when his rescue sequence started in XM:A, I very distinctly remember cringing the whole way through, even as early as when the music first started. It felt very forced and and tonally inconsistent, the CGI was subpar, it was corny as hell, it dragged on way too long, and I resented the fact that it took away from Havok's death. I know some people would say that was the point, but still.

Luckily enough, Evan Peters' natural charisma and Quicksilver's other scenes in the rest of the movie saved the character for me, but I remember very clearly rolling my eyes and resenting the character for that bit of moment during that rescue scene because I just KNEW that people would once again praise the hell out of it and we'd get another contrived ass scene in the next movie.

To be realistic, I just know that Quicksilver will be back in the next movie, whenever that may be. The character is popular with the audience, the actor is enthusiastic enough, he's not a Jen Lawrence or Michael Fassbender Hollywood caliber that he'd actually want to refuse coming back, and he still has one more movie in his contract anyway (assuming the usual 3-movie contracts that the rest of the cast get).

I just hope that they'd find a way to fit him in naturally and not hog all the spotlight from the rest of the X-Men who very much deserve it more than he does, both because of the characters they're playing and the incredibly talented actors they chose to portray them.

Last edited:
While I enjoyed both Quicksilver scenes, though prefer the first to the second, would anyone agree or disagree with this random notion where I'm throwing out: Quicksilver's scene in Apocalypse had the opposite effect that, say, Daredevil's hallway fight in Season 2 had. Where it's a bit grander and more grandiose, but while, from what I can gather, people enjoyed both hallway fights, I get the feeling that more people enjoyed Quicksilver's first super speed scene in Days of Future Past compared to Apocalypse.

Again, I liked both, but probably liked the one in DoFP more because we hadn't seen speed like that done in a long time, if ever, in superhero films, and I think it made speed a big thing just before The Flash would do it later on the CW show.

i definitely agree with that.

still not sure why Singer had to make apocalypse give her white hair... or why it is that singer can't seem to let mutants be mutants.. why Xavier needed an event to be bald, why rogue needed magneto.. why storm needed apocalypse.. some mutants are just born that way... (in storms case it was ancestry) but still... why he had to make a "to do" about all 3 of their hair i do not understand its like he was too afraid to make them "that much of freaks"

I agree with all of this and I'm just as confused as you are. It's nice they are taking the grounded approach but they are completely flipping these characters mythos and if dosent always pay off.

One thing that kind of bugged me was on the behind the scenes features on the bluray, Bryan talked in detail about casting Tye, Sophie, Kodi, Ben etc and how they went about the casting and the character and I was kind of annoyed with his reason for casting Alex as Storm. Now I loved Alex as Storm. She did great with what she was given but Bryan said in casting storm he just wanted to find a young Halle Berry. That's it. Nothing about the strength of the character like he discussed when it came to Sophie or Tye. Or nothing else about the character besides a younger Halle Berry. It really seems that Bryan is just not a big fan of Storm. I loved the young cast and the development and wished Storm had more. In the sequel I primarily want to see this young group work together and delve into their relationships e.g Jean and Storms friendship.

I liked this group. I'd give Lana as Jubilee a bigger role. Maybe trying to get involved but her powers aren't up to the level as everyone else's. And I'd also bring back Ben as Angel and it could be a very good way of developing him and Storm more and how they're trying to do better. Also Jean, Angel and Cyclops triangle. Who won't love that lol?

Last edited:
I think that's the best way to describe his role in Apocalypse, unfortunately. If Peters does return, they need to find a more natural fit for the character.

I remember watching DOFP and thinking that Quicksilver's scene was one of the best moments in the whole franchise, but when his rescue sequence started in XM:A, I very distinctly remember cringing the whole way through, even as early as when the music first started. It felt very forced and and tonally inconsistent, the CGI was subpar, it was corny as hell, it dragged on way too long, and I resented the fact that it took away from Havok's death. I know some people would say that was the point, but still.

Yeah...

Idk I loved the DOFP scene, but this one felt like watching the road runner from looney tunes.. I was half expecting him to pull a deadpool and break the 4th wall and hold up a mee-beeb! Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"