Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 43

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that kind of bugged me was on the behind the scenes features on the bluray, Bryan talked in detail about casting Tye, Sophie, Kodi, Ben etc and how they went about the casting and the character and I was kind of annoyed with his reason for casting Alex as Storm. Now I loved Alex as Storm. She did great with what she was given but Bryan said in casting storm he just wanted to find a young Halle Berry. That's it. Nothing about the strength of the character like he discussed when it came to Sophie or Tye. Or nothing else about the character besides a younger Halle Berry. It really seems that Bryan is just not a big fan of Storm. I loved the young cast and the development and wished Storm had more. In the sequel I primarily want to see this young group work together and delve into their relationships e.g Jean and Storms friendship.

I liked this group. I'd give Lana as Jubilee a bigger role. Maybe trying to get involved but her powers aren't up to the level as everyone else's. And I'd also bring back Ben as Angel and it could be a very good way of developing him and Storm more and how they're trying to do better. Also Jean, Angel and Cyclops triangle. Who won't love that lol?

That just goes to show you right there he's never "gotten" most of these characters... he gets their themes, he gets their struggles, but he really doesn't get why people love them I don't think.

Though he stepped it up a notch for sure with Jean and Kurt this time I think

Please writers and producers, enough with love triangles involving Scott and Jean. Just let them be boring and happy and sappy, focusing on the romantic relationship between just the two of them. Tye Sheridan and Sophie Turner actually have a great on-screen chemistry, and with their acting talent, could potentially look very believable as a loving couple. They also embodied and nailed their respective characters, so we actually have a good chance of seeing the real power couple that Cyclops and Jean Grey are known to be. They have the potential to be one of the most iconic romantic couples in superhero movies, instead of Scott only being known as the cuckold and Jean "actually being in love with Wolverine". Developing Scott and Jean's relationship will also pay off in case the Dark Phoenix story line comes along again, since the audience will actually be invested and the real tragedy of it all will be heartfelt.

Last edited:
One thing that kind of bugged me was on the behind the scenes features on the bluray, Bryan talked in detail about casting Tye, Sophie, Kodi, Ben etc and how they went about the casting and the character and I was kind of annoyed with his reason for casting Alex as Storm. Now I loved Alex as Storm. She did great with what she was given but Bryan said in casting storm he just wanted to find a young Halle Berry. That's it. Nothing about the strength of the character like he discussed when it came to Sophie or Tye. Or nothing else about the character besides a younger Halle Berry. It really seems that Bryan is just not a big fan of Storm. I loved the young cast and the development and wished Storm had more. In the sequel I primarily want to see this young group work together and delve into their relationships e.g Jean and Storms friendship.

I liked this group. I'd give Lana as Jubilee a bigger role. Maybe trying to get involved but her powers aren't up to the level as everyone else's. And I'd also bring back Ben as Angel and it could be a very good way of developing him and Storm more and how they're trying to do better. Also Jean, Angel and Cyclops triangle. Who won't love that lol?

That is so sad to hear the reasoning behind him hiring Shipp as Storm only because she looked like Berry that's not good enough. I'm glad Shipp was able do good with what she had but this is the reason as to why I want someone else on board of this franchise,someone who can handle these characters and bring the reason we feel in love with them from the comics to the movies. I want a director who has a love for all the characters he is using and a character as iconic as Storm deserves better, they can't seem to capture her that well and her presence. I still think we need fresh blood on this franchise, it's time for Singer to retire it.

It's funny because in the commentary it was actually Simon who kept trying to give Storm some love. Bryan mostly just said that he thought it was cool that she got to 'ride a lightning beam'. :/

In terms of what singer has done with storm in past films he has directed i wouldn't say she was mistreated compared to anyone else so i aint gonna jump on the wagon of him not being a fan so thats why he hasn't given her certain special treatments some storm fans feel she deserves.

In terms of saying they wanted a young halle berry, it could mean they just wanted someone of the same skin color or it could mean they also wanted to find someone as talented as halle berry to play storm.

Just because Singer didn't spent 5 minutes talking about what makes storm an amazing character doesn't really mean all that much.

Last edited:
In terms of what singer has done with storm in past films he has directed i wouldn't say she was mistreated at all so i aint gonna jump on the wagon of him not being a fan so thats why he hasn't given her certain special treatments some storm fans feel she deserves

In terms of saying they wanted a young halle berry, it could mean they wanted someone of the same skin colour or it could mean that and them saying they wanted someone as talented as halle berry to play storm, just because singer didn't spent 5 minutes talking about what makes storm an amazing character doesn't mean much at all
I agree to a certain degree. Bryan loves Halle and wanted to cast someone that can match her that's for sure. But he never said the same about Tye, Kodi or Sophie. Each one of them it was all about their strength, versatility, how well suited to the character they were and none of them were just i need a young version of James, Alan and Famke. But Alex was just im looking for a young Halle. It's not an insult but it also didn't inspire much confidence because he just wanted to find someone who looked like Halle but it didn't seem as important that she's a strong, talented, versatile actress. Which she actually is.

I love Bryan, always will. And I do think he does love these characters and this world and TBH I wouldn't be against him coming back but he needs to learn how to balance these characters.

I agree to a certain degree. Bryan loves Halle and wanted to cast someone that can match her that's for sure. But he never said the same about Tye, Kodi or Sophie. Each one of them it was all about their strength, versatility, how well suited to the character they were and none of them were just i need a young version of James, Alan and Famke. But Alex was just im looking for a young Halle. It's not an insult but it also didn't inspire much confidence because he just wanted to find someone who looked like Halle but it didn't seem as important that she's a strong, talented, versatile actress. Which she actually is.

I love Bryan, always will. And I do think he does love these characters and this world and TBH I wouldn't be against him coming back but he needs to learn how to balance these characters.

Or, like Deadpool, work with folks who know the characters well enough.

In the deleted scene overlooking Cairo Prof X says to Storm something along the lines of you're not a killer you don't want to do these things. And she said in my village I was treated like a freak or something like that and that people are scared of her and now she's powerful. It was cut. Literally that one line of dialogue would've provided enough understanding and tiny bit of backstory that Storm needs. Bryan and John did the same thing in DoFP. Halle had one amazing monologue. A call to arms to rally the mutants to fight for the cause. That bit and that tiny bit of dialogue are perfect Storm bits and they ended up on the cutting room floor. Unnecessarily because they each made up extra 20 seconds of screen time. Had that tiny bit of dialogue been left in for Storm we won't be as unhappy. Sure she still didn't do a lot in the final but at least she had some small amount of backstory and development just as the other young characters had. The intention to develop her is there they just seem to always cut it out. It's frustrating.

Now... I love the film but the biggest fail of it was the title character.

Well how many xmen movies haven't had magneto or mystique? Obviously that could change but in the long You can hope Michael fassbender isn't available to come back or you can try and see it through the eyes of the guys making these movies, I mean who from a creative point would decide against for example having scenes between quicksilver a magneto?

In terms of what they do with characters it doesn't count, just because rogue wasn't given a certain role isn't the same as say just not having rogue in the movie

I ain't gonna mention quicksilver because I could see if someone in a script meeting said hey guys I know quickie has gone down well with the audience in the last 2 movies but maybe we shouldn't have him in the next movie.... I could see a lot of looking around the room before people burst into laughter tbh

I really like Quicksilver and Evan Peters' portrayal (though it's not the personality of the comic book version at all)... BUT he does seem very overpowered and he hasn't been included in the films in an organic way. Special sequences are devised where he can show off. And it's usually done as comedy relief. So it all seems very contrived.

The creative team need to read more comics featuring Quicksilver so he can be deployed in a more natural way.

I also doubt they'll ever really tackle the daddy thing with Magneto.

I really like Quicksilver and Evan Peters' portrayal (though it's not the personality of the comic book version at all)... BUT he does seem very overpowered and he hasn't been included in the films in an organic way. Special sequences are devised where he can show off. And it's usually done as comedy relief. So it all seems very contrived.

The creative team need to read more comics featuring Quicksilver so he can be deployed in a more natural way.

I also doubt they'll ever really tackle the daddy thing with Magneto.

I dont see why they wouldnt tackle it tbh, they made a big enough plot point of it in apocalypse and are keeping him around for development also.

Although any tackling will probably be fairly different to the comics anyways.

Last edited:
I dont see why they wouldnt tackle it tbh, they made a big enough plot point of it in apocalypse and are keeping him around for development also.

Although any tackling will probably be fairly different to the comics anyways.

another question is does evan Peters have another film on his contract? if not add him to another they would have to reneograte if they do another full
X-Men film.

if they do only ones they defently have,depending on who would be in script,is actors introduced in Apocalypse.

Quicksilver just broke his leg. Would be super easy to explain why he is slower now and less overpowered in the next movie...

I'll believe it when i see it... especially considering they've never tackled Mystique/Nightcrawler

which is kind of hilarious at this point considering they always have scenes together, it'd make sense for mystique, and also truly add more characterization to both characters.

Singer always seems to be wanting to be groundbreaking.. but he really missed the ball with Mystique... a character who uses every trick in the book to get what she wants, a woman who sleeps with men to get what she wants, a sexually fluid woman who has fallen in love with Destiny. A woman so torn she had to give up her child for a better life.

sooooooooo many missed opportunities. for some fantastic storytelling... but no.. its always about Magneto flip flopping sides and Xavier being ridiculously emotionally naive every time it happens

another question is does evan Peters have another film on his contract? if not add him to another they would have to reneograte if they do another full
X-Men film.

if they do only ones they defently have,depending on who would be in script,is actors introduced in Apocalypse.

Well why would they put Mcavoy and Co on a 3 film deal and Evan peters only on a 2 film deal? its more than likely a 3 film deal

Last edited:
I'll believe it when i see it... especially considering they've never tackled Mystique/Nightcrawler

I think the difference with mystique/nightcrawler is that if any scenes they spent together were subtle if anything as nothing was ever spelt out that she is his mother... while with quicksilver and magneto it was a plot point and was also mentioned several times in the movie.

Last edited:
Obviously a lot of people don't like Mystique in this trilogy, but can someone explain to me what's wrong with this interpretation of the character, and how it's terrible? Personally, I really like what they've done with the character. No it isn't the Mystique from the comics but we already got that version with Rebecca Romijn, and Mystique in DOFP. I like that Mystique being a different person is a lasting consequence of going back in time and changing the past. And the arc of her trying to find her own path, and eventually coming back to the mansion to train the X-Men is an interesting take on the character for these films. This Mystique is a great female character, and I don't understand why anything good about her is thrown out the window simply because she's played by Jennifer Lawrence.

Obviously a lot of people don't like Mystique in this trilogy, but can someone explain to me what's wrong with this interpretation of the character, and how it's terrible? Personally, I really like what they've done with the character. No it isn't the Mystique from the comics but we already got that version with Rebecca Romijn, and Mystique in DOFP. I like that Mystique being a different person is a lasting consequence of going back in time and changing the past. And the arc of her trying to find her own path, and eventually coming back to the mansion to train the X-Men is an interesting take on the character for these films. This Mystique is a great female character, and I don't understand why anything good about her is thrown out the window simply because she's played by Jennifer Lawrence.

There are a combination of reasons:

1. People are angry that characters important to the X-mythos such as Cyclops and Storm are sidelined in favor of what is thought to be a B-list character in the comics. This must really sting for people since many important characters have never been given their due in the movies.

2. It's cool to hate on Jennifer Lawrence now. The fact that she is an A-list actress who in some people's eyes, is overrated and overexposed, and has expressed little enthusiasm for the franchise, just add fuels to the fire.

3. This is a comic book movie. For fans, status quo is god. A character can't have character development that would take them away from their recognizable comic counterpart otherwise it means that they are being assassinated, regardless if it makes for a good story.

Personally, I think the depth of Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique is closer to the one written by Claremont, in that she is an actual human being with emotions and motivations. Unfortunately, the popular depiction of Mystique now for many people is the sexy, evil for the sake of evil chaotic seductress.

Last edited:
4. Her acting is just not up to par with that of what people expect from an Academy Award winner (though this might fall under No. 2 on your list ie. has expressed little enthusiasm for the franchise).

I think it's a combination of all of the above tbh.

Edit: cool wheelchair!

Last edited:
1. People are angry that characters important to the X-mythos such as Cyclops and Storm are sidelined in favor of what is thought to be a B-list character in the comics. This must really sting for people since many important characters have never been given their due in the movies.
Seems a little unfair. Professor X, Mystique, Magneto, and Beast to a certain degree, have been the main characters of this new trilogy of films. So of course the film has to wrap up their stories while introducing the new class of X-Men.

Seems a little unfair. Professor X, Mystique, Magneto, and Beast to a certain degree, have been the main characters of this new trilogy of films. So of course the film has to wrap up their stories while introducing the new class of X-Men.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Fandom has never been logical. Especially comic book fandom.

I guess the counter argument would be that Singer didn't need to make a FC trilogy in the first place. FC could be the sole movie focusing on Xavier and Magneto, and the other two should have just given fans the characters they allegedly actually want to see.

Last edited:
I wonder how things would have worked had DOFP been the final film in this trilogy instead. I think it would have been a better way to wrap up this trilogy while bringing it full circle with the OT. I actually would have preferred that. Would have been cool to see this team of X-men established in the 2nd film and have them around for DOFP, considering the major disappointment being that it didnt feature X-men in the past (which ended up being the bulk of the film). I think that progression would have worked out better bc the plot of Apocalypse was anticlimatic after coming off of that which was bigger in scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"