X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 8

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cktopl33 Registered

Hmmm. Mistake: 1. an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.

Bryan Singer definitely repeated this from both his older x-men films and newer ones he's directed. So, no.....I mean mistakes. No difference there.

2. Drexelhand Registered

Had Apocalypse not been awoken from his slumber by a flimsy blanket barely covering the sun, I'm sure the movie might've been seen as a bit better from the jump. That added a level of what the **** for a lot of people.

3. DACrowe Registered

As much as I liked the opening prologue, I wonder if it would have benefitted if he was awoken some years before, like say 1975 or even 1981 in a reference to Raiders, and he's had years to learn about our world, formulate his plan and speak English. Less time of him "getting his band together" as maybe already having two or three and coming for Magneto, and having a whole doctrine and religion being rebuilt around him.

Far too much time is spent setting him up. And then, "Learning." :facepalm:

4. Cktopl33 Registered

Well, consider this for potential optimism: 1. Production had no major hiccups. Everything seem to have gone smoothly and on schedule. Things seemed well planned.

2. Kinberg admitted the failures of Apocalypse, revealing a chaotic set where the script continued to change while production was filming, just like with X3.

3. Kinberg decided to give more time for visual effects:
    4. The actors describe more of a collaboration with Kinberg, potentially boosting better performances. James McAvoy considers it to be the most emotional of the X-Men films he had worked on. This is supported by Sophie Turner describing several major emotionally and physically intense performances to shoot and her prep for the character.

5. He's seen how shifting genres worked well for Deadpool and Logan.

So, I'm much more optimistic about this one considering all listed here. I don't know how Kinberg's directing style will be, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt considering he has a clear vision for this movie and he's been on set during production of the other x-men films. Anything other than another Apocalypse. So, we'll see.....

#979 Cktopl33, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. psyonic X-Man

"Apocalypse" needed to be a part two movie, I don't know somehow put to sleep by the 1983 team, then awaken post 2023 in a Age of Apocalypse style future with the OT cast expanding the 2023 timeline AND it being a final farewell to the OT cast. That's how I would have approached it. The OT cast is a big draw and the new cast will never compare to them.

6. Charzhin0 Registered

Apocalypse needed more verbal dialogue between Nur, Magneto and Xavier. They had 1 moment in the whole movie where they are all together on that hill and they wasted it. They should have had Charles challenge Apocalypses view on evolution given that Xavier is a Professor in the subject himself. Its strange from Singer that he avoided things like this but were present in his previous films.

I honestly feel the studio had some influence to have Singer/Kinberg make a more spectacle blockbuster type film, given it was released around Batman V Superman and Civil War.

7. Legion Registered

Actually, it was Hutch Parker that said that.

Kinberg admitted:
    Which to me is the wrong takeaway or he is simply not being honest about the issues with the film. You can make a great X-Men film with action and huge stakes. They simply failed to deliver a good film.

The visual effects and action choreography were weak. The Apocalypse character looked awful. There were still many wallpaper characters with few lines and flimsy motivations. None of these issues have to do with choosing to deviate from the formula a little bit and make a film with just a bit more action than the other installments.

I'm sure we will see a statement at some point about how they considered using the classic costumes for DP but chose not to since they were poorly received in Apocalypse - Yea fans have a problem with shoddy work. Not with the classic designs from comics or action sequences.

8. SumT Registered

dont you guys find interesting how Kinberg never adressed one of the flaws being that some x-men got poor roles, with very little or just no development?
    never.
    And something tells me he wont ever learn from that

9. Mya Registered

[​IMG] ;)

10. Mya Registered

Sorry for double posting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You're welcome.

11. Lip Registered

Context.

You do know what that is, right? So here is the context of my post (Or you can read it again):

Now be my guest to print and post here the score of Apocalypse and compare them with the audience's scores of Marvel Studios movies. ;)

12. Frankeh Registered

Seems like the Grey House is back. I would avoid repeating any sequences from The Last Stand, but maybe this time they'll hew closer to the comic and make it about JEAN and the reason why she goes back to her house, not a power play between Xavier and Magneto and who gets to keep the powerful girl.

The Last Stand really needed a scene where we saw Jean arriving at her house on her own and what this place meant to her.

Also the X-Mean team needed to show up there for their teammate, not just a few.

#987 Frankeh, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  13. Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

Who are all the X-Men/characters in this again?

Cyclops
    Jean
    Beast
    Storm
    Nightcrawler
    Quicksilver
    Mystique (ugh)
    Dazzler(?)

Who am I missing? Any definite word on Angel or Psylocke?

14. Drexelhand Registered

Honestly, I'm optimistic but one thing I can't deny is that while Kinberg may be one of the top ten producers in the world right now - he's not a very good screenwriter. Bryan Singer said in an interview how he had to have Days of Future Past's screenplay changed to emphasize dialogue. Apocalypse' script was rewritten at the last minute to lower the budget and rewrites went into production. The fact that they managed to get the movie out on time shows Kinberg's skill as a producer - it also shows his flaws as a writer.

I don't have a hate ***** for Kinberg like Psylockossus does, but one thing that user and I agree on is Kinberg shouldn't be directing this. Hopefully it'll be good - I'm not expecting it to be terrible, but I'm expecting something average, like better than The Last Stand and around the level of The First Avenger or The Dark World.

15. BMM Registered

It looks like another showdown at the Grey household. That, or a flashback/origin scene revealing Jean’s potential.

16. Erik Lensherr Registered

Reminds me of this

[​IMG]

17. SumT Registered

once again I get x3 vibes :ninja:
    hope the final result makes me forget about that movie 100%, but some stuff and photos arent helping

18. BMM Registered

Agreed. Maybe this is where Mystique dies instead of Xavier?

19. Lip Registered

I don't think Dazzler will actually be an X-Men in this. But there is her, and apparently Psylocke and Sunfire. We still don't know who Lamar Johnson and Daniel Cudmore will be playing. Judging by the way this franchise treats characters, they could be playing A-List fan favorite characters as cameos.

As a whole there is:
    -Scott
    -Jean
    -Storm
    -Kurt
    -Beast
    -Xavier
    -Quicksilver
    -Raven
    -Eric
    -Chastain's character
    -Dazzler

Others not revelead yet:
    -Daniel Cudmore's character
    -Lamar Johnson's character
    -Kota Eberhardt's character

Rumoured:
    -Psylocke
    -Sunfire
    -Toad
    -Ink

20. Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

Daniel Cudmore always played Colossus before in previous X-Films, do you think they would have him play someone else this time?

21. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

He gets thrown out of loop from one of the DOFP timelines and ends up here.

22. Lip Registered

He did play Colossus before, but he said this time he cannot say who he's playing. I don't think he'd have to keep his character a secret if it was Colossus.

Some people think it's a mocap character.

23. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Well Apocalypse underperforming at the box office and not out grossing X1 in North America, made it more clear.

24. Phoenix Egg Registered

Y'all are still doing this? Lol smh

25. Phoenix Egg Registered

Whoa thanks sharing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.