Sequels X-Men Sequel - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker talk abit about the next X-Men movie

But how specifically will X-Men 7 differ from what’s come before? Both Kinberg and Parker confirmed that they’re deep into production on the film, which looks like it is closer to fruition than fans might’ve expected a month ago.

“In terms of development of the next X-Men movie, which Hutch and I are in deep, deep inside of right now, regardless of what my role is going to be on the movie—and we really are deep inside it and in prep on it, in truth—it is the challenge that we have given ourselves, and that the studio has given us too, by the way, is to make it feel fresh and different from all of the X-Men movies that have proceeded it and feel like it’s a new experience. And that’s a great opportunity as an artist and a filmmaker.”

Further, while Kinberg and Hutch would not answer whether there would be a more cosmic or science fiction bent to X-Men: Supernova, Kinberg did promise that the film would be more grounded and gritty than any X-Men movie fans have seen before.

“I can’t really talk about the content of what we’re talking about right now,” Kinberg begins. “But we certainly want to enter into new areas that the X-Men haven’t entered into before. And that means just not the possibility of what you said, but really the interpersonal dynamics between these characters has to feel different, and heated and visceral, and human and relatable in ways that maybe some of the movies in the past have been more theatrical and sort of operatic. We would like the next movie to feel grounded and even gritty and dangerous in ways that we haven’t really seen an X-Men movie be.”

Indeed, with rumors circulating that Kinberg is even in line to direct the next team X-movie—he wrote the screenplays for the last two X-Men: Days of Future Past and X-Men: Apocalypse—it’s a subject we were very intent on bringing up. Kinberg, who confirmed his interest in doing more on X-Men 7 which is “deep in prep” (although nothing is agreed upon in terms of directing it), spoke very candidly about whether the receptions for Logan, Deadpool, and Legion are having an effect on what fans are calling “Supernova.”

“It has,” Kinberg said about Logan influencing the next X-Men movie. Hutch Parker also pointed it just isn’t X-Men films either—but the marketplace as a whole that’s raising the bar on superhero pictures.

“I think five, 10, 15 years ago, there was a feeling that titles alone were enough to make a movie, and to open a movie,” Kinberg reflects. “And we found—the industry has found—in the last three, four, five years that if you don’t make a great movie, you get exposed for it, and you get exposed before the movie even opens. And people look at Rotten Tomatoes more than they look at movie times, and if you don’t have a good Rotten Tomatoes score, and you don’t have good critical reception of the movie, you don’t have a movie that’s going to succeed, with very, very few exceptions.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...-explains-how-logan-is-making-it-fresh-gritty

Last edited:
Basically Kinberg just addressed a bunch of my concerns with that piece. Superhero Movies can't be made the same in a Post Avengers World. Interpersonal Relationships basically have the X-MEN actually interact and talk to each other. Try something different with X-MEN (No Mystique, No Magneto, No Wolverine). Grounded Dangerous Gritty sounds like we'll get good fighting finally.

To quote Wolverine: "I sure as hell hope not." That's only one X away from being something else entirely.

That was funny

Last edited:
I like the sound of 'fresh and different' and we need a new experience and more of a focus on the character dynamics. I didn't expect the 'grounded and gritty' comments though. Can we please be grounded with some added comic book accuracy and costumes please? :woot:

Kinberg on the X-Men universe and its future

“The thing that’s amazing about the X-Men is that there are hundreds or thousands of characters and a handful of really great teams, and Alpha Flight is one of them. It’s not something that we’ve been actively developing, but when you think about what the next phase is beyond the movies we have on our plate like Deadpool 2, New Mutants and whatever the next X-Movie is going to be, and potentially X-23. There are a lot of movies on the docket right now and Gambit, and X-Force would come after Deadpool 2. On the other side of those, then we have to start thinking about not just what are the sequels to the movies that already exist but what are the new universes that we can get into and Alpha Flight could be one of them. I wouldn’t want to stick them into an existing movie—I think they deserve to have their own.” -

See more at: http://lrmonline.com/news/simon-kinberg-on-the-future-of-foxs-mutant-franchise#sthash.CL1SQBVA.dpuf

Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker interview

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/sim...erine-more-x-23-and-the-dark-phoenix-saga-101

On if the character of Wolverine is finished on the big screen or if he might be rebooted down the line

Kinberg: We haven't started talking about that. The truth is, we really approached this as, this is really the end of Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine and it very well be the end of Wolverine in the movies. Beyond that, we'll figure out if there is some other version of him. We haven't gone down that road. We really approached this as if it were the end.

On if a solo X-23 movie is in the works

Parker: We have been talking a little bit about that and the possibility certainly exists. She's a remarkable actress, I think she did an amazing job, and a lot of the credit for that goes to Jim [Mangold]. It's certainly a rich opportunity, we haven't gotten specific in any way, but I'd love to see more with that character.

On the rumor Kinberg is directing the next X-Men

Kinberg: I can tell you that the stories of me directing it are premature, but I can also tell you that we are in prep on what the next X-Men movie will be. - On if they plan on re-telling the Dark Phoenix storyline: Kinberg: We can't confirm what the next movie will be, but I can talk a little about, frankly, what I would do differently if I were to make X-Men: The Last Stand again, which had the Dark Phoenix storyline. I think the big mistake we made with that movie - and if anybody is to blame for it it's the writer, and I was one of them - it's that we made the Dark Phoenix the subplot of that film, instead of making it the main plot. The Dark Phoenix story is the biggest, and in many ways the most epic, saga of the X-Men comics, so you can't make that the B-plot of the movie. If we were lucky enough to have the opportunity to re-tell that story - and certainly, what we did with the end of Days of Future Past gave us the opportunity to re-tell it - I think we all would want to give it the justice and the space to breath that it deserves.

On whether James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence will be back in the next X-Men movie

Kinberg: I can tell you as a fan, I would love to see them again. In terms of the specifics and mechanics of it, we can't talk about it.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Kinberg on the X-Men universe

A lot of information all of a sudden. It sounds very promising though. ;)

It all sounds promising, but doesn't it always?

Kinberg seems to say all the right stuff, except for making the next X-Men "grounded and gritty" -- that seems to harken back to the X1-X2 days, I love those but no thanks. At least he admits that the next movie needs to feel fresh and different, and that it needs to be well received.

Thing is even Singer said all the right stuff before Apocalypse came out (bigger power displays than ever! everyone will get a character arc! etc etc)
It all sounds promising, but doesn't it always?
Exactly. And let's not forget Kinberg went on trades defending everything about FF, saying it wasn't a disaster, saying they improved on source material (yikes!), etc. I'm not saying he should've done otherwise (although the whole improving on source material now makes him look like a tool), I'm just saying it certainly didn't end up being true. But colossal mistakes should provide wisdom for future endeavors, hopefully.

Last edited:
Talking of F4 and whether there would be a sequel

SIMON KINBERG: I don’t know the answer to that in terms of whether or not fans will ever see it. I think B-roll is probably the place where they will see it. And for us, it’s in the past in the sense of lessons learned and we would love to make another Fantastic Four movie. We really believe in that cast, and I think the lessons that we learned would help us make a more consistent movie than we did the first time.

That leads to the question of whether or not Fox has to keep making Fantastic Four movies in order to hold on to the rights. Kinberg replied:

KINBERG: I have no idea. I think the truth is we would not make another Fantastic Four movie until it was ready to be made. One of the lessons we learned on that movie is that we want to make sure we get it 100% right, because we will not get another chance with the fans.

KINBERG: "Hutch [Parker] and I were together on Fantastic Four, the most recent one. We love that cast. Obviously, the movie wasn't what we wanted it to be and it wasn't received the way we wanted it to be,"

http://collider.com/fantastic-four-2-plans-simon-kinberg/#images
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/02...stills-plans-on-a-great-fantastic-four-movie/

Last edited:
Alpha Flight seems next on possibility list after New Mutants & X-Force. Hopefully Excalibur gets next after that's the ultimate way to get talent. Alot of superhero actors are foreign portraying American. Bet they'd love to drop the American accent and still be a Marvel* Character.

Ugh

Just let it go, guys.

EDIT: On "grounded and gritty", hopefully they mean not having end of the world stakes/a superpowered villain (which would go against making Dark Phoenix), making it a more personal story (a la Civil War), etc. As opposed to returning to the limited action, visuals of the OT.

Last edited:
That's a lot of studio talk, but very little specifics (aside from mentioning Alpha Flight).

I'm not getting excited or even enthusiastic yet. It's just too early.

And after what XM:A did with Storm, Mystique and Psylocke, and after Banshee and Emma were just killed off-screen, I remain incredibly wary about this franchise and what horrible things they might do next.

Because I'm not sure they really do learn any lessons. All that's changed is that Rothman has gone.

Grounded and gritty screams Operation zero tolerance and Project Wide awake and maybe Proteus in there in the middle.

Kinberg on the wider X-Men universe

As far as if the studio is looking at long-term plans with the X-Men franchise or if they’re just going one film at a time, Kinberg replied:

KINBERG: There’s a long-term plan. There’s a long-term plan for what to do with each of these movies, and how these movies could potentially interact or come together in the future. And yet, within each of these films, there’s the freedom for the filmmaker to make whatever movie they want to make. So we don’t want to hamstring—it’s not an episode of a television show. We want to give filmmakers the opportunity to be creative and bold and provocative the way Jim Mangold was with Logan; the way Tim Miller and Ryan Reynolds were with Deadpool. We’ve seen that pay off creatively and commercially with Deadpool and hopefully with Logan, so we want to keep it within the larger timeline and larger sort of architecture, but give people an opportunity to play.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/sim...erine-more-x-23-and-the-dark-phoenix-saga-101

"Grounded and gritty" will be due to it having a less budget than X-Men Apocalypse. I say no more than $150 million, prodably a First Class-type of budget.

Grounded and gritty screams Operation zero tolerance and Project Wide awake and maybe Proteus in there in the middle.
Or Mutant Massacre.

Kinberg makes it sound like Dark Phoenix isn't a guarantee, although the production title said otherwise. Maybe it's a budget issue.
"Grounded and gritty" will be due to it having a less budget than X-Men Apocalypse. I say no more than $150 million, prodably a First Class-type of budget.
Bingo.

Honestly, as much as FOX has been unfairly cheap with X-Men before (it limited X1 and X2), this time around I would welcome it because the filmmakers will be forced to make the best out of limited supplies. As Deadpool proved all it takes is a good team.

Last edited:
Hopefully Simon did learn from his mistakes in X3 and does a great job in the new one...

Kinberg = blah blah blah

And then you end up watching his films and n you realize that the guy is just all talk.

Or Mutant Massacre.

Kinberg makes it sound like Dark Phoenix isn't a guarantee, although the production title said otherwise. Maybe it's a budget issue.
Well I for one would be fine with waiting for Dark Phoenix until X8. ;)

"Grounded and gritty" will be due to it having a less budget than X-Men Apocalypse. I say no more than $150 million, probably a First Class-type of budget.

"Grounded and gritty" doesn't really square with X-Men: Supernova or Dark Phoenix.

Unless they entirely remove the cosmic setting and have it set on Earth. But then I can't see why they would choose Supernova as a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"