A New Director After Nolan?

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Gotham22, Mar 24, 2010.

1. ALP

ALP In The Mountains

James I like you man, your posts are always interesting to read but boy I really think you are overestimating the comic book/sci-fi/fantasy aspect of the Joker.

He can't even compare as far as Man-Bat. In real life it is even possible to be bleached or devoid of any skin color. You'd be pretty white but not chalk pasty white, just really really pale. One would still have color because of veins and such, etc. But mostly, most of Joker's visual characteristics were there. The green hair, large grin, and purple suit. And thematically the Joker in Nolan's world also was similar to comic book Joker.

But there's absolutely no way Man-Bat or Clayface could ever be adapted to be grounded. Making Clayface a master of disguise just wouldn't be clayface. Clayface's most important trait is the fact that he is well, made of clay. And his existence is about being angry over what happened to him. A pretty boy into a monster. Of course he could just be a handsome man who is scarred but without his powers(the most important and well known part of the character) it just wouldn't work right. But as far as Joker, besides the white skin and some Joker toys everything else is there.

2. CFE

CFE This is a job for...

Guillermo Del Toro.

If anyone's going to come in and shed light on Batman's more supernatural/occult/fantasy implaments, I can't think of anyone better.

Can you imagine his design interpretations of Killer Croc or Man-Bat?

I'd also like to see Lady Shiva and Black Mask get their dues in an official film.

Redeem Freeze and Ivy while you're at it.

3. BatFan88

BatFan88 Well-Known Member

Maybe Snyder will create a Batman movie :D

4. CinematicESP

CinematicESP Well-Known Member

Guillermo del Toro would be cool, though I don't care for a lot of the villains that he'd excel at realizing: Clayface, Killer Croc, Man-Bat. They're a bit one note, and too much like Spider-Man villains (science experiments gone awry). They're more physical than psychological. I think the psychological villains are what sets Batman's rogue gallery far above the rest.

I'd want someone who could amp up the psychology and mystery element, and really bring out the detective in Batman.

Just a few ideas...

Rian Johnson
    John Hillcoat
    Nicolas Winding Refn
    Kathryn Bigelow
    Andrew Dominik

5. The Bat

The Bat Jim Lee Fanatic

Totally Agree...just like Miller's Batman:Year One, which was Film Noir all the way. As for a new Director, I'd like it to be Mathew Vaughn. After seeing "Layer Cake(which Daniel Craig narrates Film Noir style:cwink:)and X-Men:1st class...I think Vaughn has the directing chops to pull it off.

As for Bales replacement for Bruce/Batman...I've got the perfect guy that can pull off both parts. He already has experience playing the bad boy and the intensity for the part, not the mention the square Superhero Jaw.

Ian Somerhalder
    [​IMG]

Or...how about Micheal Fassbender?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. dark_knightt

dark_knightt New Member

deffinitely Tim Burton !! His "darkness" of movies is awesome.. He would create big batman movie with actual technology..

7. Batarang

Batarang Well-Known Member

As a long-time Batman fan and a HUGE fan of Batman 1989 (it was the thing that introduced me to Batman and movies in general), I love Burton's work and liked what he did for his take, but I don't think there's any reason he should direct another Batman film. That would be like moving back in time. Besides, Burton's probably got his plate full.

Personally, I'm more into the idea of a new director coming in and doing his take on Batman without having to abide by the rules of the world Nolan created or trying to emulate what he did. Perhaps it could use Nolan's films as backstory, so we don't have to see another origin film, but beyond that, I say do something different. Maybe a vision that allows us to see villains we would have never seen with Nolan in charge? Or maybe even a Gotham City that's more stylized, like in the comic books or the Animated Series?

Either way, everybody knows who Batman is and I believe the character has reached the point where WB could just release a Batman film, even if it doesn't follow a certain film chronology. I don't think that there really need to be any specifics as it pertains to future films. There are so many different things that can be done with the character. Maybe that director needs one film to tell his vision, maybe he needs two. After that, a few years later, another Batman film comes out and one that may not have anything to do with the previous two. I think that opens up the possibility of seeing lots of different takes on the world of Batman.

8. Ranma

Ranma Member

Once Christopher Nolan wraps up his Batman trilogy with "The Dark Knight Rises" and eventually moves onto a Bond film shortly thereafter (hopefully with Daniel Craig still in the lead) [see the commando ski sequence in "Inception"], I'd be interested to see either David Fincher ("Se7en", "Fight Club") or Alex Proyas ("Dark City", "The Crow") follow up with either of their interpretations of the character.

Both would provide a fitting dark atmosphere for the type of movie I want to see Batman in: Fincher in a more realistic fashion and Proyas in a slightly more fantastical sense. Heck, I'd be up for Edgar Wright ("Shaun of the Dead", "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World") taking the helm if he was really motivated and up for the project.

9. Bathead

Bathead The Oldest Geek

What you're missing here is the fact that original Clayface, as written by Kane and Finger was exactly that, a murdering psychotic actor who was a master of disguise. Nothing whatsoever Sci-Fi about him.The amorphous shape-shifting Clayface is a relatively recent invention. Nolan could very well have adapted that original version of Clayface to his realistic Batman, and still be faithful to the comics.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  10. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

James Cameron!

11. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

David Fincher was my top choice before Nolan was chosen (because despite Nolan already being one of my new favorite filmmakers back then thanks to Memento, it never even occurred to me that this would be his type of thing at all), and David Fincher remains my top choice when Nolan leaves.

Though if they don't want to go that "big name" with it, it would be cool if they went with another promising rising star like Nolan was, maybe with Duncan Jones, Matt Reeves or Rian Johnson...someone like that.

12. doctordoomsday

doctordoomsday New Member

David Fincher would be an interesting choice. I think that once Nolan is finished with Batman, a lot of people in Hollywood will want to direct the next film because of what Nolan has done with the character.

13. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men, Harry Potter 3) or Rupert Wyatt because Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the best movie of the summer.

It would be great to see a Batman movie done like BTAS with some fantasy elements.

Hopefully we'll get an non rubber, Alex Ross or Jim Lee costume this time around.

14. Eddie Dean

Eddie Dean Mr. Jackpots

Let's get Nicolas Winding Refn up here.

15. Hurm...

Hurm... Well-Known Member

Exactly. Which is why I'm kind of excited to see what happens after Nolan's world. Also, the next film would need a remarkable cast and director in order for the public to accept a reboot. The GA loves Nolan, Caine, and Bale, so replacing them with a new cast and crew that the audience accepts will be a challenge on its own.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  16. Hurm...

Hurm... Well-Known Member

I hope you're not serious.

17. Mister Meddle

Mister Meddle The Barber of Seville

How about Christopher Burton?

[​IMG]

18. PSYLENTGuardian

PSYLENTGuardian El Pollos Hermano

That's just rich. Michael Bale for Batman/Bruce Wayne. He'd be way too perfect :woot:

19. Tequilla

Tequilla Well-Known Member

It depends alot of the direction WB wants to the franchise. If they dont want a 180º turn , someone like Duncan Jones would be a solid choice .

But i think they will chase some big name director. Fincher would obviously fit , but i remember reading about some problems between he and some top guys at warner (after benjamin button)

20. El Payaso

El Payaso Well-Known Member

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH.

Bring Heath Nicholson's Joker!

21. Mister Meddle

Mister Meddle The Barber of Seville

[​IMG]

22. EML420

EML420 It's only part time.

Like said before David Fincher would be perfect the city in Seven reaked of sadness but at thes same. Time I feel like he would be going down Nolans route which isnt bad but it would be cool to see some more of Batmans supernatural enemys. My second choice would be G Del Toro its already been said but he would be great for the supernatural side of Bat.

23. jehybm

jehybm New Member

Fincher or Aronofsky would be my preferred choices.

24. jrd550

jrd550 He who is him

Excellent idea!

25. Cain

Cain I Heart Amazons

No. Greengrass is a good director but I actually want to comprehend the geography of a Batman fight scene next go round.