Days of Future Past Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Iluminata: I like your positive thinking regarding Cyclops and Rogue... but not agree at all with Singer not wanting to work with Ellen, specially with Kitty being a pivotal role on the storyarc. Yes, they havent been faithful to the comics ever, but I see Singer and Fox trying to please the fans a bit more this time, and Kitty could be on their list. Ellen still can say no, but I wouldnt count the character out, at least on the script stage.

And dont understand what do you mean with timing constraints.

Both Daniel and Bobby could easily be on this sequel if Singer wants them. So there's no real problem with them. In fact, they two are probably the easiest actors to get back, since they arent high profile.

Currently, out of the OT cast, I think Hugh Jackman and Anna Paquin are the biggest stars. Jackman has steadily starred in movies every year and Paquin has been on True Blood since 2008. I wouldn't mind if Rogue took over Kitty's role but I would have a problem if Logan did though. I'd rather have any one of the OT characters than Logan have a large role.

Bryan might only want to use actors he used for X-men and X2.If any actor hired for Last Stand was brought back it would be Ellen.However 2 Unknows.1;Is Ellen even Intrested
In coming back and 2:Does Bryan even want to use the character.

I have long maintained It's quite possibly Rogue will replace Kitty.Of course that requires It being a physical time travel device.

With the senintles It could keep COlossus and Iceman out.Also Let's say Xavier,Cyclops,Jean,Wolverine,Rogue,Magneto,and Mystique are all In future sequenzes.
That's 7 characters to jugle right there.That Is plenty.

Wolverine may not be time traveler but I doudt he won't be key player In future part of film.

Currently, out of the OT cast, I think Hugh Jackman and Anna Paquin are the biggest stars. Jackman has steadily starred in movies every year and Paquin has been on True Blood since 2008. I wouldn't mind if Rogue took over Kitty's role but I would have a problem if Logan did though. I'd rather have any one of the OT characters than Logan have a large role.

I would add Ian McKellen's name to that list. I do agree that Hugh and Anna have been the most active in their careers from the original cast. Normally I would add Halle Berry but her star power has really fallen over the years and with her personal problems I doubt Singer will want to deal with that.

I would LOOOOVE it if he would offer the role to Angela Basset as he originally wanted.

@Iluminata: I like your positive thinking regarding Cyclops and Rogue... but not agree at all with Singer not wanting to work with Ellen, specially with Kitty being a pivotal role on the storyarc. Yes, they havent been faithful to the comics ever, but I see Singer and Fox trying to please the fans a bit more this time, and Kitty could be on their list. Ellen still can say no, but I wouldnt count the character out, at least on the script stage.

You could be right on this BUT I think Singer is wanting to clean house with this franchise. I'm sure the new Studio heads will want him to fix the X-Men. That seems to be the focus of this entire soft-boot in the franchise. First Vaughn comes back then Rothman is fired and Singer returns to the Fox lot. There is obviously a tremendous amount of politics involved with this Film. More behind the scenes drama...I'm assuming of course, just from what I read in the trades.

And dont understand what do you mean with timing constraints.

Both Daniel and Bobby could easily be on this sequel if Singer wants them. So there's no real problem with them. In fact, they two are probably the easiest actors to get back, since they arent high profile.

I think both Daniel and Shawn would love to be in this film but we have to take into consideration these are 2 hour films at best 2.hr 15min films. We have the entire XMFC cast that are contracted to these films, it's their story and with Bryan expanding on Fassbender's role I don't think we'll have much time for many characters.

The original X-Men (Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Rogue, Wolverine) will not be able to benefit that much from that this film. If Singer is smart, I think he'll go in trying to fix the characters that need the most fixing (ie. Cyclops & Rogue). I think/hope that Cyclops becomes the Logan of the story while Rogue takes on the Kitty role.

We all have to remember these are loosely based on the comic book and Singer&Co has always been upfront about these films being reinterpretations and take liberties against canon. And as long time X-Men comicbook readers know that the X-Men really don't have a solid canon because things are always changing with them. They are the Soap Opera of Superheroes.

Last edited:
Singer hates Gambit? When did he say that? I thought I'd heard they tried to get him in for both X2 and X3.

If we're talking a 50 something Kitty, she would prob be recast rather than cover Ellen in makeup. Hiring Ellen Page isnt necessary for Kitty to be in the film.

IMHO Jackman and Marsden are the most likely to reappear. As I said in the other thread, Id love to see Cyclops really kick as in the alt future scenes, being a hero of the story. The irony would be he is fighting for a future where he dies a meaningless death.

Funny thing is Ive said many times here over the years, that Cyclops was never really my favorite character in the comic, however Marsdens Cyclops is my favorite film X-man. Singer has said he regrets not doing a third film, which he stated would focus heavily on Cyclops. Marsden was also pretty vocal about his love of the character around the time of TLS.

Last edited:
Gambit was suspose to the new X-man Introduced In the Singer plan for X3/4 till warner brothers offered to let Singer do his thing with Superman while Rothman was taking his time signing Singer to another film.

Even If Wolverine Isn't the time traveler he will play Important role In future part.

Like I said I can easily see Rogue as time traveler.Now If Cyclops Is in fuutre sequenzes I am sure Bryan will give him something to do.I think It's more likely Bryan will use returning cast members rather than Introducing new characters.

If all the surving mutants from first Class are In Days of future past that Is 10 characters plus add 4 characters soley In future that leaves us with 14 Characters
plus target of assassination bring us to 15 and It could be 16 If Moira returns.

Also consider most comic book films don't actully adapt comic book storylines.

Yea the future timeline is likely to feature only a few mutants. The comic book version was really only Wolv, Storm, and Collossus on a mission, tackling Sentinels, with Kitty on the side.

Its the First Class timeline that should be pretty filled up.

(BTW, Im betting on it being Cyclops Wolv and Jean in the future scenes)

You could be right on this BUT I think Singer is wanting to clean house with this franchise. I'm sure the new Studio heads will want him to fix the X-Men. That seems to be the focus of this entire soft-boot in the franchise. First Vaughn comes back then Rothman is fired and Singer returns to the Fox lot. There is obviously a tremendous amount of politics involved with this Film. More behind the scenes drama...I'm assuming of course, just from what I read in the trades.

I agree that they could want to fix the problems of this franchise, and thats a great move, but that doesnt mean they will get back all the big names x-men.

Id LOVE to see Cyclops and Rogue again on the screen, Id really love it, but.... I think some of the fans are expecting too much with this future idea. I mean, just to expect Wolverine, Jean, Cyclops and Rogue on this sequel feels too wishful thinking, in my opinion.

Thats like too perfect for the fans, having x-men leader again, more Rogue to see Singer giving them a better role than original trilogy.

And about Colossus, he is one of the characters of the storyarc, and its important to remember that Singer signed him, and his power would be really useful in a sentinels future, so these are three really important points to take into account.

I think between Anna and Daniel, Daniel has more chances than her. Anna has True Bloods new season and that could lead to agenda problems with Fox, and Daniel is a cheaper actor with a useful power and his characters appeared on the arc. It would be surprising for me to not see Colossus back, for all these reasons.

To have Rogue on the future would mean she will have to steal the power to the other x-men, so that would mean to watch a power used twice by two different characters, instead of a different power like Colossus one. Bryan uses to choose characters because their powers and how useful for the story they could be, so.... honestly, Colossus feels like a smarter choice.

Last edited:
And about Colossus, he is one of the characters of the storyarc, and its important to remember that Singer signed him, and his power would be really useful in a sentinels future, so these are three really important points to take into account.

I think between Anna and Daniel, Daniel has more chances than her. Anna has True Bloods new season and that could lead to agenda problems with Fox, and Daniel is a cheaper actor with a useful power and his characters appeared on the arc. It would be surprising for me to not see Colossus back, for all these reasons.

In this production it isn't so much about $$$$ anymore. It certainly seems that the studio has learned a very valuable lesson with Rothman. Cheaper isn't better and not to micromanage the talent.

I think you're sticking way too close to the Comicbook storyline. That's not going to happen. Yes the bones will always stay in place but the characterizations will change. Instead of Colossus they may use someone from XMFC cast to take his place. It will always be a reinterpretation.

I'd LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it if what you say turns out to be because I love Cudmore and Colossus. I just know how Bryan Singer seems to helm these stories. He like Alan Ball (True Blood) take characters and stories from the source material and reinterpret them to general audiences. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

And sure Cudmore is cheaper than Paquin to do this film but it's more about the story and I think The Studio wants Singer to fix the franchise. He has to start at the root with Cyclops, Rogue and even Jean. Those are probably the worst from his verse that were ruined the most.

Again this is just my opinion which means nothing in the end. Just my assumption after viewing his directing and writing style for characters. :cwink:

Gambit was suspose to the new X-man Introduced In the Singer plan for X3/4 till warner brothers offered to let Singer do his thing with Superman while Rothman was taking his time signing Singer to another film.

No, that's never been the plan for X3 at least. Bryan Singer's plan was always to introduce Beast and Angel. They were always his priority. Angel had the biggest chance of being in X2.

David Hayter, Tom DeSanto and Bryan all explained why Gambit was not needed for these films at Comic Con years ago. They said he didn't have a purpose because he was too similar to Wolverine (personality) and Cyclops (Powers). They also mentioned that Wolverine pretty much sufficed for the need of that character.

I think after that disastrous Origins:Wolverine film that character will probably go back into the closet for a while. He could become a background character in the way of Jubilee or Colossus but I don't think we'll see him upfront with the core team.

Last edited:
I agree Anna/Rogue is a long shot.

Not sure why Wolv and Jeans appearance seems shaky when both actors obviously have no problem reprising their roles.

Marsden might jump at the chance to replay Cyke,but that's up to the writters and producers.

In this production it isn't so much about $$$$ anymore. It certainly seems that the studio has learned a very valuable lesson with Rothman. Cheaper isn't better and not to micromanage the talent.

I think you're sticking way too close to the Comicbook storyline. That's not going to happen. Yes the bones will always stay in place but the characterizations will change. Instead of Colossus they may use someone from XMFC cast to take his place. It will always be a reinterpretation.

I'd LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it if what you say turns out to be because I love Cudmore and Colossus. I just know how Bryan Singer seems to helm these stories. He like Alan Ball (True Blood) take characters and stories from the source material and reinterpret them to general audiences. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

And sure Cudmore is cheaper than Paquin to do this film but it's more about the story and I think The Studio wants Singer to fix the franchise. He has to start at the root with Cyclops, Rogue and even Jean. Those are probably the worst from his verse that were ruined the most.

Again this is just my opinion which means nothing in the end. Just my assumption after viewing his directing and writing style for characters. :cwink:

No, that's never been the plan for X3 at least. Bryan Singer's plan was always to introduce Beast and Angel. They were always his priority. Angel had the biggest chance of being in X2.

David Hayter, Tom DeSanto and Bryan all explained why Gambit was not needed for these films at Comic Con years ago. They said he didn't have a purpose because he was too similar to Wolverine (personality) and Cyclops (Powers). They also mentioned that Wolverine pretty much sufficed for the need of that character.

I think after that disastrous Origins:Wolverine film that character will probably go back into the closet for a while. He could become a background character in the way of Jubilee or Colossus but I don't think we'll see him upfront with the core team.

On X3 wiki page they claimed Gambit was going to show up if rothman had made deal with Bryan.I remembered hearing after X-Men reports were Gambit wasn't needed with both wolverine and Cyclops.Bryan likes Beast.He was going to be In first film till budget forced him to be cut,and he wasn't In X2 because he thought Introducing 2 blue mutants In same film was too much.Angel was almost In X2.Purists would have been upset beasue the plan was for Angel to be turned Into archangel by Stryker exprementing on him by turning wings Into metal wings with adamanaturm.

It was known Bryan's plans for X3/X4(he was considering doing them as 2 part story filmed back to back like matrix sequels and lord of the rings) would have been larger role for Cyclops,Introduction of Danger room,and Hellfire Club led by Older version of Emma frost(Sigourney weaver was Singer's first Choice) and reportly would have beefed up Colossus role for cameo In X2(Similar to how Iceman and Pyro got expanded roles In X2 after cameos In X-men although Pyro was recast) and a rumor was that If Storm was In film at all It might only be a cameo.Nightcrawler would likely not have been written out If Bryan's X3.Alan CUmming didn't like makeup but was willing to play him again.They dropped him from Last Stand because the script only had Nightcrawler In small supporting role and they didn't want to pay for makeup job required for a small role.

Bryan I am sure Is more likely to get actors he used In X-Men and X2.The first step In fixing things would be to just stay X-Men,X2,and First Class are
only X-Men films before the Wolverine to be part of X-Men/FF shared marvel universe.That solves a lot of problems for them.You can have Cyclops in future part of Days of future Past and have that be seen as sequel to Singer's films.Inless this film will go back and forth between past and future I don't think this Is film that will give a big role to Cyclops.Even If Wolverine Isn't the time traveler I expect a big role for him In future scenes.

I wouldn't count out Anna Paquin for this film.Anna has publicly expressed Intrest In returning In past.True Blood will have fewer episodes this season and rumor was It may be In it's last season.Rogue could very well take the place of Kitty In story.

This film will take elements from original comic storyline just like X2 did with God loves man kills.Read that and you will see things from X2.

Bryan's approach to X-men was copyed by people like Chris Nolan and Jon Favraru.

People should look at Bryan's past work for clues to how he would approach Days of future Past.

Last edited:
I don't mind who is 'in' or 'out'. I just want it to make sense and feel like a cohesive saga with some thought behind it.

At the very least, I am hoping for good continuity from this point onwards.

But I'm not getting my hopes up too high because we could have another set of creative people come on board for the next film after DoFP and they could make other changes.

We don't know how long Singer, Vaughn and Kinberg will be involved; we've already had Vaughn step back to being a producer (and we don't even know if he will have any hands-on role) and it seems Jane Goldman has moved on (she's now rewriting Pinocchio for Warner Bros).

Who's in:

James Marsden (Cyclops):
The number one Singer man of all the cast. Went with Singer to Warner Brothers. Singer wanted to expand on Cyclops because he was Singer's favorite character. He will want fix what Ratner&Rothman did to the character and actor.

Anna Paquin (Rogue):
She and Singer remained close after he left X3. Went to his Superman Returns premiere in LA which didn't not sit well with FOX (probably why Margaret was kept in production hell). Went with Singer to Warner Bros and started doing films and Cable at Warner (HBO). And like Cyclops Singer may also want to undo the mess that Ratner&Rothman made of Rogue. Now since she's a blond I'm assuming she will dye her hair because Bryan made her dye her streaks for X2.

Famke Janssen (Jean):
Another big Singer supporter. He was even developing a show for her at Universal which unfortunately never left Development hell. She was also pretty vocal about supporting Singer. With her coming back for The Wolverine will only lead to that she will be back for Days of Future Past.

Rebecca Romijn (Mystique):
Like Paquin and Janssen she was another vocal supporter of Singer. She also was vocal about Ratner's "over the top" ideas for the X-Franchise. She was in the first XMFC so I'm expecting her to cameo (maybe expanded).

Hugh Jackman (Wolverine):
Definitely happening but I'm sure in a limited role. I think with Singer's expansion on Cyclops will leave Wolverine out in the cold due to screentime limits.

Ian McKellen (Magneto):
Eventhough Ian and Bryan can be lukewarm with each other they are also very professionally respectable. With Fassbender's Magneto role expanded will also allow for some Ian-Magneto involvement as well.

Patrick Stewart (Professor X):
Like Magneto is the most necessary out of the bunch to be in this film. Stewart and Singer have remained very friendly over the years.

Who's OUT:

Halle Berry (Storm):
Her relationship with Singer is legendary. There seems to be absolutely no love lost between these two. I don't see him wanting to work with Halle any more and with Rothman fired from FOX I don't see the new Studio Heads pressuring Singer to cast her back into the films. Singer was vindicated after XLS. She also may not want to work with Singer herself due to their poor chemistry.

Ellen Paige (Kitty):
Ellen didn't make a huge splash in this forgettable role. I also doubt she would want to come back to the franchise since her career is still riding a little high with Inception and Juno. I also don't think Singer wants to cast anyone from Ratner's selection.

Taylor Kitsch (Gambit):
Singer has made it no secret that he's not a big fan of the character. I doubt he'll want to cast Taylor "box office poison" Kitsch back into this role. I think if anything this character will just stay out of the film.

WILD CARDS

Daniel Cudmore (Colossus:
Like Alan I think he could be wild card. With time constraints may not allow Singer the time to add him or Bobby (Iceman) to these films.

Alan Cumming (Nightcrawler):
He's a wild card. Nothing major is happening with Cumming's career so I could see him as a possibility of wanting to come back. YET, with all his kvetching about the Make-UP and his lukewarm relationship with Singer may keep him from coming back to the movies.

Ultimately, I think Bryan is sticking with the Core Five (Wolverine, Rogue, Jean, Cyclops and Professor X) and then the core Brotherhood (Mystique Magneto) mostly due to timing constraints.

Interesting thoughts. I think you're right about who Singer's Core Five are.

No mention of Kelsey Grammer in your list though. Of all those newcomers in Ratner's The Last Stand, he is the most highly regarded - and he was cast by Vaughn before he exited.

There are several points here:

1) Some of those X-Men actors are getting on a bit now. I really can't see them all committing to being in X-Men films for the next decade or more, because they'll be too old for their characters and for all the action scenes. Fassbender's Magneto would be a better option than McKellen in the long term. And how many more times will Rebecca Romijn want to get naked and go through hours of make-up? A Star Trek reboot introducing fresh faces would have been the way to go.

2) Final decisions will also come down to actor availability and also if the actor wants to return to X-Men.

3) Singer will (hopefully) also want to bring in some new characters rather than just stick with the same old bunch.

This happens on all franchises.

Richard Donnor being fired on Superman II ws death knall to Superman franchise

Warner Brothers not wanting Tim Burton to continue on batman after Batman Returns was death knell to original series

Jon favrau and Joss Whedon are only directors to return to do sequel to Marvel studios films.Warner Brothers Is apparently Ignoring Chris Nolan wanting Man of steel to be set In it's own universe to start setting up their own shared universe starting with Man of Steel.

A lot of problems with X-men films can be traced to Tom Rothman sitting around and not making a deal quickly with Bryan Singer to do third film.And then forcing them to
do both dark Phoenix and cure In same film,forcing them to kill off Cyclops and Xavier,and hiring a hack director to finsh film In order to beat Superman to screen.And doing an even worse micromanaging job In Wolverine.It took Singer coming back to get the franchise back on course with first Class.

It will be Intresting to see credits on Days of future Past to see If Vaughn gets sole story credit or both him and Singer get story credit.It defently looks like Simon Kinberg Is sole screenwriter for this film.Which Is first for a X-Men film.Of course It helps having the screenwriter as one of the producers.Sometimes writers do drats they were hired for.Go on to other projects and when they decide to need more work on script they have to go to another writer.

No mention of Kelsey Grammer in your list though. Of all those newcomers in Ratner's The Last Stand, he is the most highly regarded - and he was cast by Vaughn before he exited.

1) Some of those X-Men actors are getting on a bit now. I really can't see them all committing to being in X-Men films for the next decade or more, because they'll be too old for their characters and for all the action scenes. Fassbender's Magneto would be a better option than McKellen in the long term. And how many more times will Rebecca Romijn want to get naked and go through hours of make-up? A Star Trek reboot introducing fresh faces would have been the way to go.

2) Final decisions will also come down to actor availability and also if the actor wants to return to X-Men.

3) Singer will (hopefully) also want to bring in some new characters rather than just stick with the same old bunch.

While Matthew Vaughn did cast Kelsey Grammer,Grammer Is on record saying he doesn't want to do another X-men film.He said while he was signed for more than one he hoped the Last Stand would be the last one.Plus I don't think Bryan SInger wants to call attention to different looks for Beast.I think Beast will most likely be dead In future.I think Bryan will keep Matthew Vaughn's look for beast.It may get better done but I expect catlike beast to
remain

Inless there are plans for a immedate sequel with original cast after days of futrue past this could be last film with original cast In expect

A:ANother wolverine film with possible appearance from someone else from original films
B:Original series actors might show up In rumored New Mutants and X-Force Spinoffs

If past of DOFP remains the 1960's you have 1970's and 1980's for more sequels.

Days of future Past will be dominated by returnees from First Class and Singer's films.That's part of reason they would do DOFP as sequel to first Class.In following film Is when they will start using new characters or introuducing younger versions of characters they couldn't use In 1960's when they go to 1970's.

Who's in:

James Marsden (Cyclops):
The number one Singer man of all the cast. Went with Singer to Warner Brothers. Singer wanted to expand on Cyclops because he was Singer's favorite character. He will want fix what Ratner&Rothman did to the character and actor.

Anna Paquin (Rogue):
She and Singer remained close after he left X3. Went to his Superman Returns premiere in LA which didn't not sit well with FOX (probably why Margaret was kept in production hell). Went with Singer to Warner Bros and started doing films and Cable at Warner (HBO). And like Cyclops Singer may also want to undo the mess that Ratner&Rothman made of Rogue. Now since she's a blond I'm assuming she will dye her hair because Bryan made her dye her streaks for X2.

Famke Janssen (Jean):
Another big Singer supporter. He was even developing a show for her at Universal which unfortunately never left Development hell. She was also pretty vocal about supporting Singer. With her coming back for The Wolverine will only lead to that she will be back for Days of Future Past.

Rebecca Romijn (Mystique):
Like Paquin and Janssen she was another vocal supporter of Singer. She also was vocal about Ratner's "over the top" ideas for the X-Franchise. She was in the first XMFC so I'm expecting her to cameo (maybe expanded).

Hugh Jackman (Wolverine):
Definitely happening but I'm sure in a limited role. I think with Singer's expansion on Cyclops will leave Wolverine out in the cold due to screentime limits.

Ian McKellen (Magneto):
Eventhough Ian and Bryan can be lukewarm with each other they are also very professionally respectable. With Fassbender's Magneto role expanded will also allow for some Ian-Magneto involvement as well.

Patrick Stewart (Professor X):
Like Magneto is the most necessary out of the bunch to be in this film. Stewart and Singer have remained very friendly over the years.

Who's OUT:

[U]Halle Berry (Storm):[/U]
Her relationship with Singer is legendary. There seems to be absolutely no love lost between these two. I don't see him wanting to work with Halle any more and with Rothman fired from FOX I don't see the new Studio Heads pressuring Singer to cast her back into the films. Singer was vindicated after XLS. She also may not want to work with Singer herself due to their poor chemistry.

Ellen Paige (Kitty):
Ellen didn't make a huge splash in this forgettable role. I also doubt she would want to come back to the franchise since her career is still riding a little high with Inception and Juno. I also don't think Singer wants to cast anyone from Ratner's selection.

Taylor Kitsch (Gambit):
Singer has made it no secret that he's not a big fan of the character. I doubt he'll want to cast Taylor "box office poison" Kitsch back into this role. I think if anything this character will just stay out of the film.

WILD CARDS

Daniel Cudmore (Colossus:
Like Alan I think he could be wild card. With time constraints may not allow Singer the time to add him or Bobby (Iceman) to these films.

Alan Cumming (Nightcrawler):
He's a wild card. Nothing major is happening with Cumming's career so I could see him as a possibility of wanting to come back. YET, with all his kvetching about the Make-UP and his lukewarm relationship with Singer may keep him from coming back to the movies.

Ultimately, I think Bryan is sticking with the Core Five (Wolverine, Rogue, Jean, Cyclops and Professor X) and then the core Brotherhood (Mystique Magneto) mostly due to timing constraints.

Is there something I am missing with the relationship between Berry and Singer. I only remember the one, highly publicized, altercation between the two on the set of X2. (Their relationship was fine for the first X-Men movie, that's why he brought her back) I really don't think that either of the two would be so begrudging and not willing to work with each other again over an incident like that. Besides if we're talking about characters that were treated unjustly then after Cyclops Storm was the most mistreated.

Rogue may not have been her comic counterpart but she was the version that Singer chose to portray and I don't think Singer is planning on changing that. Also Rothman & Ratner didn't make a mess of Rogue they just continued the arc that Singer had left with her. The only possible mistake they made with Rogue was having her take the cure and even that we know is reversible.

Halle can look regal given the right clothes, direction etc. I'd go as far as saying Halle is better suited for Storm now than she was 10 years ago.

mk7k6.jpg
uS9mR.png

MMRoi.png

I agree Halle does look rather regal in those pictures. I also agree that she may be more suited to the role better now that she's a little older. I would love to see her come back for DoFP and actually given a role that is more akin to the comics. I want to see a more leadership role from her, If cyclops isn't in the film. The thing that bothered me with the Last Stand was that during the final battle Wolverine was barking orders instead of her despite being told by Prof X that she was the leader. if she's in DoFP I'd like to see her have more of a commanding presence, again if Cyclops isn't in the movie I know he's the true leader, (though in the comics she beat him in a duel for leadership of the team even when she had no powers.)

Is there something I am missing with the relationship between Berry and Singer. I only remember the one, highly publicized, altercation between the two on the set of X2. (Their relationship was fine for the first X-Men movie, that's why he brought her back) I really don't think that either of the two would be so begrudging and not willing to work with each other again over an incident like that. Besides if we're talking about characters that were treated unjustly then after Cyclops Storm was the most mistreated.

Rogue may not have been her comic counterpart but she was the version that Singer chose to portray and I don't think Singer is planning on changing that. Also Rothman & Ratner didn't make a mess of Rogue they just continued the arc that Singer had left with her. The only possible mistake they made with Rogue was having her take the cure and even that we know is reversible.

For a change on here, this is a post with which I entirely agree!

It was Singer who created the big-screen version of Rogue (though he didn't cure her), and it was Singer who took Marsden off to make Superman Returns and led to Rothman ordering the character to be killed off.

Storm has also been done a disservice in these films, though thankfully she has had good action scenes and a reasonable amount of screentime, despite some half-hearted characterisation.

The animated series managed to include Cyclops, Wolverine and Gambit all alongside each other - and pretty accurately as well. None of them seemed superfluous or a duplication of any of the others.

Are we really saying that a cartoon can do it better than a multi-million dollar big-screen production?

Wolverine and Gambit were also very different in the XMO: Wolverine.

Gambit has a very different personality: more playful, mischievous, romantic. He's not some violent, gruff, conflicted, animalistic soul like Wolverine.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see all/most of the X-Men...I just don't expect to see much of them.

The animated series managed to include Cyclops, Wolverine and Gambit all alongside each other - and pretty accurately as well. None of them seemed superfluous or a duplication of any of the others.

Are we really saying that a cartoon can do it better than a multi-million dollar big-screen production?

Gambit has a very different personality: more playful, mischievous, romantic. He's not some violent, gruff, conflicted, animalistic soul like Wolverine.

Exactly what I think.

I never understood why they said that. If Im not wrong, I think it was Lauren who said Gambit and Logan were simliar.

Anyway, Im sure Bryan could do him justice, even much more than what Gavin did on Origins, tho I liked Remys role and Taylor. Would definetly love to see him again on this franchise, along with the rest of the original x-men. Not sure if it will happen after Days of future, but Id still love it.

Agreed. Plus if they're willing to rewrite Rogue's character and have her more of a Kitty Pryde/Jubilee kind of character then I don't see why Gambit should be pigeon holed as another Wolverine type character (which I disagree with since I think the similarities are only superficial).

TLS was critically bashed by Film Critics and Fans that was spawned out of Berry demands, Rothman's micromanaging and Ratner's inability to craft the film.

I think the studio wants to get as far away from TLS and Origins:Wolverine as possible. It's the whole purpose behind XMFC, it's not a complete reboot but a softboot to steer the franchise back to where it was before. The studio is trying to cash in on Singerverse as much as possible.

I agree 100%.

That's why I believe the Core 5 will be mostly cameos with maybe 2 that will be expanded. This is why I also believe that Cyclops and Rogue seem to be prime candidates to take on the Logan & Kitty roles. It will give Cyclops the storyline to breathe and Rogue the opportunity to fix her characterization. Plus Marsden and Paquin are the youngest out of the Core 5.

So true, I know many actors were forced to come back to TLS when Singer departed. Why so much uproar was made post TLS by Paquin, Janssen and Romijn.

I think many of them WANT to come back to the franchise now that he's at the helms and Rothman is gone.

With the already overbloated cast with XMFC, I don't think we'll see many new characters. Cameos but if anything I think the Villain will perhaps be a new character. If we have the core 5 plus XMFC cast that's really huge by itself. It's already been touted that this IS a Magneto movie so even if we see Cyclops, Rogue, Professor X, Jean and Wolverine it will be limited. Timing constraints is what will kill the opportunity to see new characters expanded on.

It was Singer who created the big-screen version of Rogue (though he didn't cure her), and it was Singer who took Marsden off to make Superman Returns and led to Rothman ordering the character to be killed off.

He did but by the time he left Rogue was courageous (ie. Saved the X-Men by flying the Blackbird, saving Logan from Stryker) and not afraid of her powers (ie. using them on Pyro and attempting to drain Magneto) and officially joined The X-Men and Xavier's right hand gal by the end of X2. There was an evolution happening with her characterization which you could see where her character was headed.

TLS just crapped away all of those elements (especially joining the team), made her afraid of her powers again, removed her from the team and crapped over all of her courage that was in X1 and X2. Scaled back so far on her it was just an insult to Rogue fans who were excited to see her in action for X3. Paquin even said it herself during the X2 junket "It's great to see she's not a damsel in distress and doesn't need saving"

Storm has also been done a disservice in these films, though thankfully she has had good action scenes and a reasonable amount of screentime, despite some half-hearted characterisation.

I love Storm but Halle has been given enough screentime and all of that screentime has only vindicated Singer's usage of Berry as Storm. Unlike Rogue, Storm's problem is with the actress and not the characterization. Halle is not convincing in the role so if Singer brought in Basset or someone else I would be so excited.

You're talking about 2 different mediums. It's not the same and let's be real, The Animated Series is rather embarrassing in terms of characterization. It's a cheesy over the top cartoon from the 90's which is fabulous for children but these movies aren't the same audience. The X-men has attracted more older teens and adults. You can't play by the same rules.

I don't think Gambit will go anywhere near this next film not so much because Bryan doesn't want him but because of the overbloated cast and time constraints for this film to be made.

I am a huge Jubilee fan but even I'm not deluded enough to believe she will be in this film.

I don't personally hold out much hope for Gambit in Days of Future Past (though a small cameo would be nice). There's really no call for it and I'm more worried about other characters like Cyclops (who's presence could be fairly questionable).

Jubilee I also don't believe would make it, but she's another character I like that I wouldn't say no to appearing. Though saying that she did cameo in all three original X-men films and her deleted scene in X2 makes we wonder if she could have potentially had at least a Kitty or Colossus sized part in a sequel at one point. I don't think a background cameo in the apocalyptic future would be too much to ask for, but again, I don't see it happening either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"