Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - S2E1 "Shadows"

So you're mad because they are using characters on the show that probably have zero chance of being in a Hulk movie. A Hulk movie that probably isn't going to happen.

There's no reason it shouldn't happen.And when it does,it would be nice to have Talbot back in the franchise he belongs to instead of wasting him here.

Kinda like (and yeah,I know this can't happen before any geniuses point it out) making Flash Thompson Venom working for SHIELD,but Spider-Man can't be involved.

So if regular people touch it, they turn to stone. But if Skye/Coulson/Raina touch it, it may bring out their Inhuman powers? Cool.

What if Coulson wasn't anything before being injected with the Kree blood? Did the Kree blood permanently mutate his human dna to were he would still be able to attain super powers also without being born a special/inhuman?

Last edited:
So let me get this straight...

1. People are upset that they aren't using more characters from the comics.
2. People are upset that they ARE using characters from the comics because those characters deserve to be in movies, not tv.

Meanwhile, characters like Sitwell, Agent Carter, Coulson, Fury and Sif have gone back and forth between tv and movies.

It gets harder and harder to read these threads.

The Grey Gargoyle has powers that are similar to Creel, absorbing what he touches, and retaining those properties for a period of time.

GG's powers are more that he turns people to stone rather than absorbing random materials. That's what he's known for. I also encounter him every day in Avengers Alliance.

Dangit I can't remember that Characters name! I swear she was in the Project Pegasus run somewhere/.
She was MAGAMA covered I think, not the Mutant Magama.

That was an awesome premiere. Still can't believe how much this show has improved. Absorbing Man was a big surprise and a total success I think. There is a lot of potential there.

Excited for the season. Hopefully this success train picks up more steam.

Fans will complain about anything and everything. I oughta know; I am one of them.

There's no reason it shouldn't happen.And when it does,it would be nice to have Talbot back in the franchise he belongs to instead of wasting him here.

Kinda like (and yeah,I know this can't happen before any geniuses point it out) making Flash Thompson Venom working for SHIELD,but Spider-Man can't be involved.

There's nothing Talbot can bring to the Hulk franchise we haven't already seen...twice. His entire shtick is hunting the Hulk, which was the plot of those first two movies. If there was another Hulk movie, would you really want Talbot to play a major role in it, which would mean rehashing the same story again? Secondly, in what way does his appearance here prevent a hypothetical future appearance? What, not famous enough of an actor for you?

Oh, and your comparison stinks. Venom cannot exist without Spider-man. With or without the Hulk, Colonel Talbot is still overzealous military *****ebag that is just as valid on this show as he is on something with the Hulk.

I noticed that the blue alien's body had the same marking from the artifact and what Coulson drew

Pretty solid episode with some nice references (like the Kree body). If felt bad for Fitz, and that was an interesting surprise.

Yep I saw that on my second viewing, thanks. I didn't catch the Kree in the box 1st time around or the Kree symbols on the Obelisk.

Last edited:
I did make out the symbols flashing on the Obelisk, and saw that the camera focused on (I think) Skye before they went to break, possibly indicating that she noticed the Kree markings.

I did make out the symbols flashing on the Obelisk, and saw that the camera focused on (I think) Skye before they went to break, possibly indicating that she noticed the Kree markings.
I just watched it a second time. Skye definitely noticed the symbols flash across the Obelisk.
cknEQzV.jpg

A few other things:
Coulson: "There aren't enough payphones left in this country." I don't know why that line amuses me so much. :)

The mineral Creel was given wasn't actually a diamond, but was Musgravite. Apparently worth $35,000 per caret, with only two faceted gems in existence. (http://listverse.com/2007/12/02/top-10-rarest-gems/).

Who was the guy at the end? Was it the guy from the opening flashback scene?

Dont get me wrong, im not calling those who didnt stupid, or haters, or trolls, nor do i consider that i have higher standards than them in terms of quality. But this is the year 2014. We have this little thing called history behind us, and while cinema is just over 100 years old, other arts arent. Public success has never been a valid indicator of the works quality. Nor reviews. So there is no truth to face here. We cool? :)

And as for non-controversial opinions... The pilot received RAVE reviews (i read them) and it was named the best new pilot by critics, while tons of people said it was mediocre or underwhelming. Again, doesnt proove anything qulity wise, but there you have some controversy.
I thought the Pilot was rather decent. It did a good job in setting everything up, but then the show took a massive nosedive in quality shortly afterwards. And then shot right back up with the Captain America 2 tie in.

It was the first season of a television show. Most first seasons are pretty weak. We, as a viewing public, got really lucky with a string of hit shows that became pop culture sensations which started strong and maintained that momentum consistently. But if you look at the history of television, it is just as common for great television series to have a rocky start. And no other TV show has to navigate the difficulty of existing in an ongoing fictional universe of which it is only one part.

The show started off kind of slow in S1, but I thought it built up nicely to a great finish. Once they had Bill Paxton on the show, I thought it played out nicely.

S2 is really off to a great start, although I'm kind of sad that's it for Lucy Lawless. I thought she would be a regular for a while.

The bit with Agent Carter and Dugan and the commandos was great. I can't wait for that show to come out.

Creel was never going to be a regular in the Hulk movie. They already did the "Absorbing Dad" thing in Ang Lee's film. I know that's not Creel's story but the powers were the same. Besides Creel was originally a Thor villain. I know he became more associated with Hulk, but that's not how it went down in the comics.

I'm entertained by the show, and I think they have a good vibe going on. I really like what they're doing with Ward, and that will be a fascinating part of the show going forward. He's a much more interesting character now than he was in S1 just being the prototypical "good guy".

There's nothing Talbot can bring to the Hulk franchise we haven't already seen...twice. His entire shtick is hunting the Hulk, which was the plot of those first two movies. If there was another Hulk movie, would you really want Talbot to play a major role in it, which would mean rehashing the same story again?
That is part of the Hulk's shtick to begin with.He's continually hounded by humanity.But the worst part of this is,Talbot is the perfect foil for Banner.His reason for hating Banner is over Betty (which they just shot to hell considering he apparently has a wife and 11 year old son in the MCU).He has the most primal of reasons for hating Banner: envy.And it was actually a pretty cool concept in the comics as he won Betty over and married her.Such untapped potential for drama,all wasted.
Talbot is one of my favorite supporting characters for Hulk and they pretty much chucked him by the way side to give AOS another "name" on the show.

For all the things I hated in Ang's Hulk,at least they had Talbot as Banner's main antagonist.(Even though they didn't play up a romance with Betty)I'd have imagined the MCU would take advantage of something that even the Ang film didn't ignore.Hulk's my favorite character and frankly he's gotten a raw deal more often than not from the MCU.

Secondly, in what way does his appearance here prevent a hypothetical future appearance? What, not famous enough of an actor for you?
I actually love Adrian's performance.That's what makes the prospect of missing out on using him in a Hulk film all the more painful.

As I said above,they already cast the dye with him as a family man.Trying to put him in a Hulk film without his original motivation would be useless.They didn't need to keep putting him in the show if they intended to use him later in a Hulk film.By the time a Hulk film rolls around,his potential will be tapped out.
Oh, and your comparison stinks. Venom cannot exist without Spider-man. With or without the Hulk, Colonel Talbot is still overzealous military *****ebag that is just as valid on this show as he is on something with the Hulk.

Well you better tell that to Sony who will undoubtedly try for the Venom solo movie at one point.

You could basically replace Talbot with Gen Ross for this show and get the same result.Is he off limits to you?

Last edited:
Creel was never going to be a regular in the Hulk movie. They already did the "Absorbing Dad" thing in Ang Lee's film. I know that's not Creel's story but the powers were the same. Besides Creel was originally a Thor villain. I know he became more associated with Hulk, but that's not how it went down in the comics.

The Absorbing Dad bared so little in resemblance to the Crusher Creel version,I'm not entirely convinced he was off limits.

I think more people associate Creel with Hulk than Thor.Same as DD with Kingpin despite his being "a Spidey villain".Frankly,Hulk's rogues gallery isn't the strongest,which is why his best foes originated elsewhere.I still dream of a day when Hulk meets Rhino in live action.

That is part of the Hulk's shtick to begin with.He's continually hounded by humanity.But the worst part of this is,Talbot is the perfect foil for Banner.His reason for hating Banner is over Betty (which they just shot to hell considering he apparently has a wife and 11 year old son in the MCU).He has the most primal of reasons for hating Banner: envy.And it was actually a pretty cool concept in the comics as he won Betty over and married her.Such untapped potential for drama,all wasted.
Talbot is one of my favorite supporting characters for Hulk and they pretty much chucked him by the way side to give AOS another "name" on the show.

For all the things I hated in Ang's Hulk,at least they had Talbot as Banner's main antagonist.(Even though they didn't play up a romance with Betty)I'd have imagined the MCU would take advantage of something that even the Ang film didn't ignore.Hulk's my favorite character and frankly he's gotten a raw deal more often than not from the MCU.

I actually love Adrian's performance.That's what makes the prospect of missing out on using him in a Hulk film all the more painful.

As I said above,they already cast the dye with him as a family man.Trying to put him in a Hulk film without his original motivation would be useless.They didn't need to keep putting him in the show if they intended to use him later in a Hulk film.By the time a Hulk film rolls around,his potential will be tapped out.

Well you better tell that to Sony who will undoubtedly try for the Venom solo movie at one point.

You could basically replace Talbot with Gen Ross for this show and get the same result.Is he off limits to you?

Talbot's wife and child could still die, and Talbot could later on take an interest in Betty. At least this way he wouldn't seem as much of a cardboard cut out figure but would have a past. Or maybe, instead of that, the Hulk or Banner could be partially responsible for his wife and child dying, and that could be the motivation for Talbot hating him that much. That would actually be a better reason than simply having envy. In fact, if it's Banner rather than the Hulk who is responsible in some way, then it would be even more pronounced. And that way, they could even get Mark Ruffalo to guest star without the need for motion capture.

Some of you act like the MCU is gonna keep running and running. How many Hulk films do people think there are gonna be for Marvel to realise they could have used Talbot.

There is still the Leader and Red Hulk, not to mention the high possibility that they could use abomination again, as well as some varient of Planet Hulk.

That is 4 right there, which would take you to about 2030 if they started in 2017 and did one roughly every 3 years.

Talbot's wife and child could still die, and Talbot could later on take an interest in Betty. At least this way he wouldn't seem as much of a cardboard cut out figure but would have a past. Or maybe, instead of that, the Hulk or Banner could be partially responsible for his wife and child dying, and that could be the motivation for Talbot hating him that much. That would actually be a better reason than simply having envy. In fact, if it's Banner rather than the Hulk who is responsible in some way, then it would be even more pronounced. And that way, they could even get Mark Ruffalo to guest star without the need for motion capture.

More simply than that Talbot always loved Betty but she rejected him for Bruce 15 years ago. Talbot got married and had a kid, but never forgave Bruce for stealing his true love. That hatred has only grown over the years as Bruce turned into the Hulk and ran away but Betty still loves him.

EDIT: Something sad that occurred to me after viewing: In the opening sequence, we're shown WWII-era Carter and Whitehall. At the end, we see present-day Whitehall. Compare and contrast with present-day Carter from TWS... :(

My thought it is that it's a basic MacGuffin. Maybe it granted Kraken a longer lifespan so, he didnt age as a normal human would) and maybe that played into his/Strucker's idea that people have a destiny beyond normal humanity. Maybe his case will be what inspired Strucker (though it needn't be mention in the films) and maybe the twins are experiments (maybe Absorbing Man is as well) and Kraken is searching for people who can be evolved using this technology (like Skye). That would make it a very important MacGuffin, but not something that necessarily needs to exist after this season of the tv show.

Remember how the Winter Soldier was kept young. Maybe Whitehall also spent some time in a cryogenic chamber.

Yeah, is that the same alien from season 1? That would make it over 70 years old...

Anyone notice the Kree in the case back in the 40s?

But has anyone noticed that the boxes carried by HYDRA soldiers at the beginning of the episode are decorated with the insignia of Erwin Rommel's Deutsches Afrikakorps?

http://oi61.tinypic.com/3356p37.jpg

If the artifacts in those boxes were found at the same time and at the same place as the alien corpse, that means the corpse and the Obelisk were dug out somewhere in North Africa prior to May 1943.

Also, remember what the Red Skull said in CATFA when he discovered the Tesseract:"And the Führer digs for trinkets in the desert." I guess not all of those trinkets are useless.

Who was the guy at the end? Was it the guy from the opening flashback scene?

Yes. Herr Reinhardt and Dr. Whitehall are the same person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"