All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, it's based on opinion and preference.

Then what is your point? If is all opinion, then every point is valid and unquestionable.

55 million on OW was not massive or a large number for a film that was projected to have an 80 million opening.

Heavy drop off day to day on opening weekend indicates unhappy crowds and bad reviews.

Then make it clear that it's your opinion. You tend to write statements or analysis, and pass them off as the 'truth' (most recently with Prometheus). It makes you sound like a snob.

Unless I state otherwise, of course it is my opinion. But of course, if there is only opinion in this regard, this just makes your need to continuously bring it up snobbish.

I am sure all they want is Justice League at this point, but I think they are just too damn late.

Nolan doesn't want anything to do with it. Sounds like Bale doesn't either, although they will throw a boat load of money to try and get him. So then what? Cavill and a new Batman? With a new Green Lantern? It's not like they are afraid to have multiple actors playing the same character, but then what? Two actors playing Superman? It's a cluster.

They should just forget about the whole JL movie business.

If WB doesn't give him the keys to the city over there, I can't imagine him hanging around. My personal opinion is he wants to make his movies and have his own spot on their lot like Clint Eastwood. They should give him anything he wants, I think they want him to still work with their comic properties and he doesn't want that.

That really can't be that foolish, can they?

Alan Horn/Disney is on the phone right now. :cwink:

Absolutely. By all accounts Horn and Nolan got along just fine.

WB was in a Jay Leno/Conan Obrien type situation, they wanted to keep the more daring Robinov on board and the only way was to promise him the big seat. That meant the older Horn became expendable, but apparently they were the only one's who thought Horn was done.

Can you honestly blame WB for trying to get Nolan to deal with their comic book properties. Comic book movies, when done right, have the potential to pull in a boat load of cash. More so then original projects. So it just makes business sense to beg the guy to be involved with all of them.

The sources are always trying to make it out of proportion, remember the rumor before TASM came out saying that Sony execs. were not happy with Marc Webb's TASM movie ?

That one I never understood, considering they commisioned the script before webb was even attached.

At the end of the day we never really know what goes on behind the scenes. All these websites are gossipers, which don't get me wrong is fun to listen too, but I'm not exactly sure how much of it is true and how much is blown out of porportion.

Can you honestly blame WB for trying to get Nolan to deal with their comic book properties. Comic book movies, when done right, have the potential to pull in a boat load of cash. More so then original projects. So it just makes business sense to beg the guy to be involved with all of them.

Nothing wrong with that, just Robinov jumped the gun and said he WOULD be involved many moons ago.

WB was in a Jay Leno/Conan Obrien type situation, they wanted to keep the more daring Robinov on board and the only way was to promise him the big seat. That meant the older Horn became expendable, but apparently they were the only one's who thought Horn was done.

They should've kept Horn and gave Robinov the boot. By all means, Robinov seems to be driving away some of the key talent that's keeping WB's coffers full. While uprooting Joel Silver and his Dark Castle label off to Universal Pictures was long in the offing, the last thing Robinov wants to do is drive away Christopher Nolan. Nolan and his wife might shift to Horn's welcoming arms at Disney, or the other rivals like Paramount who would happily give him a first-look deal.

They should find someone who can handle all the DC properties, it is quite challenging task and that would require time and energy out of any person who is put in charge.

Nolan is a creative director who would not want to waste time being a producer to all DC movies.

WB needs to give up on Justice League. It's never going to happen.

If they think it has problems now (which they probably don't), they're not going to spend the next 11 months sitting on a bad film having spent a boat load of cash on production. They'll do what any rational human being would do and fix it.

But the reality is, the first cut was likely done MONTHS ago. So either this is really old news or it's simply not true.

It's not a sign that a film is good or bad if they are having a presentation at Comic Con. Green Hornet was at Comic Con. I find this hard to believe since Nolan and WB were all over the movie.

Exactly, stupid point for me to bring up about Comic Con, but reason for it is WB is treating MOS like there baby, you see how secretive and elusive they are being with this movie, it just don't make sense that they would feel this way, and I thought the same as you about Nolan.

My guess if anything is that Nolan is finally free from TDKR is and getting to work on producing MOS, and most likely (if anything negative was said) is that he was simply giving constructive criticism on the project now that he is fully involved. Nolan did say in a recent interview that if and when Zack needs him he is there for him, so no question Nolan is on it getting dirty somewhere with Zack the moment.

Nothing wrong with that, just Robinov jumped the gun and said he WOULD be involved many moons ago.

The way Nolan is with secrecy, its hard to drum up any hype with the guy. He wouldnt even admit he was doing a third batman film. Now in all of his interviews it sounds like they had the story for it right after the dark knight came out. Robinov has to keep the hype going someone.

Frankly, people talk about a batman reboot like its a sure thing, you dont have to look any further than the previous 4 films to see the quality dips drastically. If it was easy to make great batman film then we never would have had Nolan's series to begin with.

Early Man of Steel drafts were not great. Such a big mess Goyer was almost fired off the project.

Also rumors had it reshoots here and there had already gone down.

I just hope that somehow the problems with MOS would be fixed, there is still time (11 months)

And that things are not really that bad between Robinov and Nolan.

Then what is your point? If is all opinion, then every point is valid and unquestionable.

My point is that your point with Watchmen's failures with comic book community and yourself is simply a matter of opinion. Your argument would hold more weight had the entire (or at least 70%) fanbase rejected the film.

Half of the fanbase didn't.

Heavy drop off day to day on opening weekend indicates unhappy crowds and bad reviews.

That still does not excuse the awful marketing campaign. Watchmen was a CBM that got no help from its own studio. However, once Watchmen hit the DVD format (Director's Cut), ratings/reviews and sales suddenly were far more positive than when the film was released in theaters -- so much so that a number of sites have labeled Watchmen as one of the most underappreciated CBMs of our time, and receives mention amongst the likes of Fight Club and Alien on Amazon's, IMDB's and Moviefone's lists.

The fact is Watchmen was a Rated-R three hour CBM that received virtually no marketing. Now, were there mixed reviews and WOM? Yes, but that those factors weren't enough to sink Watchmen. Snow White and The Huntsman and Prometheus (according to you) received mixed reactions and WOM, but yet both films managed to make a decent sized profit. You can thank the marketing for that.

It's amazing how much a little bad news can breathe some life into this thread. :funny:

Early Man of Steel drafts were not great. Such a big mess Goyer was almost fired off the project.

What's the word now?

Last I heard, Gill said Nolan and executives were pleased with the first cut of the film.

Many people were expecting a teaser trailer to be attached to TDKR but so far we have got no news whatsoever, so chances of that happening are slim. :dry:

megamaid.jpg

And that's why I don't think Goyer should be left alone with Snyder when spearheading this project. If anything, they should have someone creative to have some input in guiding the franchise in the right direction at least.

That's always been the thing with Goyer is that imho, he's good only when he has someone monitoring his actions, like Nolan for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"