All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

So having a negative opinion immediately means that we are overly biased / spoiled / have "too high expectations" etc? So you can just throw our critiques out the window as being illegitimate? Should we only say nice things about promotional material in the future? :huh:

Okay... :dry:

2. Reek

Reek _____

I don't think Snyder is going for a short-film. :o

3. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

I was only referring to poster/promotional art.

The impatience and demand for auxiliary material is a whole different topic and one that I've widely tackled here before. When it comes to that I definitely do think the internet age has become "spoiled" but that's not what you were referring to in your initial post.

It was about some not finding the new poster very good and those who have said that the quality of the picture itself is poor and that the photoshop was quick and careless have a point. That's not being spoiled but just pointing out the truth. If someone were demanding for a trailer and a new poster then I would agree that they're being spoiled but placing a critique on something that deserves it isn't.

My point being that posters of the past were made with far more care, talent and time. Posters for a lot of films are progressively getting worst and that's unfortunate.

4. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

dont get me wrong is it great no it is solid but i would of chosen that shot of superman standing in FOT door with his cape blowing in the wind if they took a comic con screen cap

5. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

No I agree with that but sone are disappointed that we've only gotten a poster that to me shows how spoilt we have become.

6. Project862006

wow how about you calm the down you literally put about 100 words in my mouth not once did i say you cant be negative or that your opinion doesn't matter but go ahead and make stuff up to back up your post

:huh:

7. floreairfoot

floreairfoot There's a storm coming.

[​IMG]

The MOS theatrical poster will feature a photoshopped image of Brandon Routh.

8. ConnorKon-El

ConnorKon-El Amateur Film Nerd

I agree, not just posters but film as well are all becoming steamlined, and in the process are losing quality and creativity.

9. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

Me too. Basically, as long as Superman punches someone in the face and it seems "kewl and modern", people will eat it up.

10. Project862006

what i do like is if this poster is in theatres it is gonna get lots of people's attention

11. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

Some of the disappointment may stem from that clever build up they put us through.

Alot of people saying the concept is good. I think it's a good story point but not for a poster. Imagine months and months of walking into a theater building and all you see is this very literal still from a movie. It's just odd. Superman in chains as a concept can be made into a very viable poster, soldiers, military...Something about this....
    Can you all imagine if the soldiers had their guns armed and pointed at superman? It would be an even bigger example of the message they are sending here. Superman vs ...

Something about how matter of fact the setting it is, I'd personally prefer something more deliberate.
    [​IMG]

It's still early yet. Even TDKR got it's act together. And TDK had awesome posters.

I do agree with the idea that it will get attention though.

12. ConnorKon-El

ConnorKon-El Amateur Film Nerd

:pal:

13. gillberg2k1

gillberg2k1 Well-Known Member

And maybe that's what this franchise needs, because it sure as hell doesn't need another As The World Turns episode/pseudo love letter to Donner.

14. ThePhantasm

Sorry, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I'm just confused as to who exactly you are critiquing here.

I'm calm, but perplexed.

15. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

A person could photoshop Warner Bros. logo onto the helmets of the soldiers in the poster and it would still feel natural with the setting.lol

But in all seriousness; as others have said, love the concept, not so much on the execution.

I don't think some of us have such high expectations; it's just that you'd think that a professional film company/studio would release something that looks like it was worthy of someone being paid to do and not something that looks as though one of us could have made it; hell I've seen several forum users here with talents far better than the ones who were behind some of the TDKR posters, and they don't even get paid for it.

16. X Knight

X Knight Dark Knight of the Hype

this......a 1000x this.......

17. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

Do not post bootlegged/pirated material. That will get you an infraction and up to a probationary ban.

18. Charlus

Charlus Well-Known Member

:up:

19. X Knight

X Knight Dark Knight of the Hype

where's the bootlegged/pirated material???? :huh:

20. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

I do hope that they post pictures or stills within the coming months of Clark Kent or Superman smiling within that given picture. I'm sure a lot of people are aware that Cavil possess a great deal of charisma and given that Superman is one of the few heroes who can actually smile in a natural sense, it'd be a good time to show it somewhere down the line.

21. Scarecrow_King

Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

That's exactly what I'm saying. This poster concept makes it look like the whole army/prison thing is going to be much more significant than I think it should be. I would've rather seen a poster that reflects the theme or tone of the movie more than a single plot point.

22. ThePhantasm

craigdbfan deleted it fast. :up:

23. floreairfoot

floreairfoot There's a storm coming.

You just missed it. :csad:

24. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Even though the motive is dramatic, there is no drama in the picture itself whatsoever.

25. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

Honestly, i'm not as concerned with action scenes and trying to conform to current storytelling trends as much as I'm concerned with the movie being good regardless of whether or not they do action scenes and conform to current storytelling trends.

A Superman movie could have no hand to hand action whatsoever and still be a great movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.