All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.

As long as you guys keep posting OH NOES....THEY HAVEN'T RELEASED A POSTER....THE WB HATES US AND WANTS THE MOVIE TO FAIL....I'M LITERALLY AND FIGURATIVELY GOING TO ACTUALLY REALLY DIE BECAUSE I HAVEN'T SEEN A TV COMMERCIAL FOR THE MOVIE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......I'll keep up with the back in my days stuff.

And that's a promise.

there were three lonely years between Star Wars and Empire...we didn't know another one was coming...those were the dark days...before the internet

Yep.

As long as you guys keep posting OH NOES....THEY HAVEN'T RELEASED A POSTER....THE WB HATES US AND WANTS THE MOVIE TO FAIL....I'M LITERALLY AND FIGURATIVELY GOING TO ACTUALLY REALLY DIE BECAUSE I HAVEN'T SEEN A TV COMMERCIAL FOR THE MOVIE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......I'll keep up with the back in my days stuff.

And that's a promise.
And rightfully so

I remember watching a special bts for the film and how there was a comical issue on how Singer originally wanted the globe to be real while one of the producers thought that he wanted it to be all CGI and when the day came to present the thing, it as like a "Punk'd" moment where everyone thought Singer was yelling at the producer for not following orders..or something to that effect I think.

I remember that! And I'd be pissed if it wasn't up there either, but I'd be more pissed if Clark Kent doesn't wear glasses or have a secret identity in it. I'd rather Clark wear glasses than the globe atop the Planet, although I don't see why they'd omit the latter.

Yep.

And that's a promise.
Of course you are being ridiculous because I never said I'm going to die or that WB wants the movie to fail. This thread is about talking about stuff and that includes the marketing. You can say you think the marketing is awesome or bad. Of course you are free to chat about how movies were marketed back when Americans had to use seperate water fountains.

I try not to live too much in the past because frankly a lot of the pass sucked.

I think one of the things I'm most looking forward to is seeing how they're going to handle the secret identity.

I'm more looking forward to the action because Superman has yet to be involved in a modern action scene. Well next to seeing how the story plays out because a movie is nothing without interesting characters and halfway decent drama.

Come on!, WB, We are so desperate, please don't obligate us to hate, my expectations will evaporate, 'cause we're far from the date, and MOS things are still too 'private', so please let us finally sate, don't make us wait, or you'll probably harm MOS's fate!

LOL Jason Blood hahaha. This was funny.

Also I was thinking, what if Mackenzie Gray is like an associate of Luthor's like that guy was for Osborn in Amazing Spider-Man?

I'm more looking forward to the action because Superman has yet to be involved in a modern action scene. Well next to seeing how the story plays out because a movie is nothing without interesting characters and halfway decent drama.

I'm really looking forward to the action as well. The story in general is what I'm most looking forward to.

Come on!, WB, We are so desperate, please don't obligate us to hate, my expectations will evaporate, 'cause we're far from the date, and MOS things are still too 'private', so please let us finally sate, don't make us wait, or you'll probably harm MOS's fate!

Bravo. That was pretty good!

Also, I'm just looking forward to this being like an adventure, and be as good as Batman Begins was for me - that film blew me away! I was so happy and into when I saw that film so I want the same thing with this film.

Last edited:
Interesting that CNN swapped photos out on that Zimmer article. It's now the good old Supes in handcuffs picture instead of the leaked snow/crouching photo.

I wonder when we'll have that one officially released? Everyone's seen it at this point.

Problem is we were spoiled by Superman Returns. Say what you want about that film but it was fan friendly during production.

At 15, I did not really like Batman Begins when I saw it first time, however it has grown on me very much and I consider it to be one of the best CBMs, I felt like it was the mundane and boring version of Batman and that they took the "cool" factor away from him that the first Burton film had and that it really didn't pick up until the end. However I enjoy it very much now.

That said, I loved Superman Returns the first time I saw it, I saw more positives with it than negatives, mostly due to pent up anticipation for a new Superman movie and being relieved that it was still somewhat familiar, but from the moment I left the theater with each subsequent viewing my enthusiasm for it went down, unfortunately, and it does not hold up very well to me. :( However there are still many parts in it I like.

Point of all that is, although I think (and hope) I will love MOS all around, I'd rather less impressed the first time I see a movie and have it hold up really well in the long run and enjoy it more in the long run than love it the first viewing and hate it in the longrun. I had a similar reaction to TDKR and Batman Returns too.

Problem is we were spoiled by Superman Returns. Say what you want about that film but it was fan friendly during production.

Definitely. Why was that though? Why were they so "open" with it all? Was it because it was the first Superman film in a loooongwhile and they figured they had a responsibility to keep the public posted to reassure them they weren't going to "eff" it up (ironically)?

Don't you think pedal steel guitars will sound weird for a Superman movie?

(I don't know anything about music)

Not at all. Common instrument in blues, country, and related musical genres. It has a very American and rural sound. Used with a slide for haunting soulful sustain and note bending. In my opinion, the perfect accompaniment for a movie about an American icon from the Midwest who is the embodiment of small town virtues and America at its best. However, it may suggest that Zimmer is not going for a traditional string and horns orchestral sound and that might sound weird to some people, at least when it comes to what they expect from a Superman score.

Nothing wrong with taking a archaic approach to marketing(not that that's what WB has done at all). The problem is doing so when your competition is taking a modern approach.

I for one think they've released plenty.

Not at all. Common instrument in blues, country, and related musical genres. It has a very American and rural sound. Used with a slide for haunting soulful sustain and note bending. In my opinion, the perfect accompaniment for a movie about an American icon from the Midwest who is the embodiment of small town virtues and America at its best. However, it may suggest that Zimmer is not going for a traditional string and horns orchestral sound and that might sound weird to some people, at least when it comes to what they expect from a Superman score.

Wonder if there are any good examples of music of this kind...

Wonder if there are any good examples of music of this kind...

[YT]NsMRoQr0ujM[/YT]

Robert Randolph?

It is a very versatile instrument so I can't really think of a single defining example. It's not a common lead instrument, but you often see steel guitar players in blues, country, funk, or soul bands.

Definitely. Why was that though? Why were they so "open" with it all? Was it because it was the first Superman film in a loooongwhile and they figured they had a responsibility to keep the public posted to reassure them they weren't going to "eff" it up (ironically)?
Singer. Look at what he's put out so far with DOFP. And they haven't even started filming.

[YT]NsMRoQr0ujM[/YT]

Robert Randolph?

It is a very versatile instrument so I can't really think of a single defining example. It's not a common lead instrument, but you often see steel guitar players in blues, country, funk, or soul bands.

Wow. Well if I'm making the movie I say "no way" to all of that, however, I don't know how they are planning to use it, and as you pointed out it's a very versatile instrument and there are many ways to use it, so I will just hope for the best and trust Zimmer knows what he's doing with this one. :huh:

Singer. Look at what he's put out so far with DOFP. And they haven't even started filming.

Ahh yeah that is true! Well how was Snyder on other movies? Is this "tight lippedness" a thing of his or is it more of a "Nolan" thing? Or do you think it's just WB wanting to keep it mum...?

Yep.

And that's a promise.

:applaud:

Sadly, the Internet has spoiled me :csad: and thus my already limited patience gives way to fanboy despair when I don't get new stuff for extended periods of time.

But old man, I still ride my bike 12 miles to get to work so :argh: !!!!

:hehe:

So apparently there's a slightly shortened 3D trailer of the pre-existing one showing with the Jurassic Park re-release in theaters:

We're receiving reports that a 3D version of the existing "Man of Steel" trailer is being shown with the return of "Jurassic Park" in IMAX 3D cinemas.
Word is that a slightly shortened 3D version of the "Man of Steel" trailer is being shown before IMAX 3D showings of "Jurassic Park", with the title cards, "Next Summer", "From Zack Snyder", "And Christopher Nolan" altered to include a faint starfield in the background to make the words leap off the screen. Also the "Man of Steel" title card now fades into the new "S" shield at the end of the trailer.

A notation at the end of the trailer says, "Experience it in Real 3D and in IMAX 3D".

http://supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=12837

Wow. Well if I'm making the movie I say "no way" to all of that, however, I don't know how they are planning to use it, and as you pointed out it's a very versatile instrument and there are many ways to use it, so I will just hope for the best and trust Zimmer knows what he's doing with this one. :huh:

[YT]9ybwY4bFU0Q[/YT]

Fanboii linked to this in the score thread as a bit of a better idea of how pedal steel guitar could be used in Smallville scenes. Might assuage your concerns a bit. Personally, I'm really relieved by Zimmer talking about Superman's connection to America and the use of pedal steel guitars. Junkie XL's involvement and all those drummers they were using had me concerned that Zimmer was going for a similar sound to Batman - with lots of drumming and techno vibes. Such a sound tends to be dark and cold (Blade Runner, TDK, any modern spy thriller).

I was hoping for something warmer and uplifting with Man of Steel. I associate pedal steel guitars with a warmer, organic and soulful sound that is distinctly North American, so while unconventional, it makes me think that Zimmer is onto something, something more unique that will stand apart from Williams' fanfare. While I really liked the use of Journey to the Line and Elegy in the trailers, I somewhat worry that I liked them because they don't deviate much from Williams' iconic approach to Superman scoring - very classical, dramatic and symphonic.

[YT]9ybwY4bFU0Q[/YT]

Fanboii linked to this in the score thread as a bit of a better idea of how pedal steel guitar could be used in Smallville scenes. Might assuage your concerns a bit. Personally, I'm really relieved by Zimmer talking about Superman's connection to America and the use of pedal steel guitars. Junkie XL's involvement and all those drummers they were using had me concerned that Zimmer was going for a similar sound to Batman - with lots of drumming and techno vibes. Such a sound tends to be dark and cold (Blade Runner, TDK, any modern spy thriller).

I was hoping for something warmer and uplifting with Man of Steel. I associate pedal steel guitars with a warmer, organic and soulful sound that is distinctly North American, so while unconventional, it makes me think that Zimmer is onto something, something more unique that will stand apart from Williams' fanfare. While I really liked the use of Journey to the Line and Elegy in the trailers, I somewhat worry that I liked them because they don't deviate much from Williams' iconic approach to Superman scoring - very classical, dramatic and symphonic.

Thanks man. Yeah, that does ease it a little bit, but I am really hoping there are some horns in there or something that's symphonically stirring. I really liked the Journey to the Line trailer music, if it's anything like that I will be pleased. The score was always going to be a big point of contention for me unfortunately. :-/

Superman with "country music", no matter how avant garde an idea it is, will never mix for me, so I really hope this blows me away in a way I could never expect, because if it sounds like something I could see Jonah Hex riding into town to... :argh: ...I will just hope and pray the rest of the movie is damn good enough for me to block that out. lol

[YT]NsMRoQr0ujM[/YT]

Robert Randolph?

I love Robert Randolph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"