All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a big difference between searching for specific individuals behind a certain event in a certain city and doing a worldwide search for Superman. How would the US Government even know where to start looking? For all they know, Superman doesn't even have a secret identity or live in the US if he does. Things like the Boston bombing or the Vancouver hockey riot where social media and technology were used to find the perpetrators are far more narrow and smaller in scale. You have a starting place, You trawl through footage of the specific event for suspicious individuals. Launching a massive investigation into who Superman is when you don't even know if he is someone or where to start looking is a completely different situation. You'd need a Person of Interest sort of scifi machine.

The government could put Supes booking photo on the nightly news. I'm guessing the horribly ungrateful "My son was on the bus" woman would be dialing the hot line within the minute.

Furthermore, even if your points were correct, they do not necessarily lead to the conclusion that any semi-realistic take on Superman requires abandoning the Clark Kent disguise. As shown by the numerous examples from Nolan's "realistic" take on Batman, all you need to do is provide the audience with a plausible explanation and have it make sense in the confines of the story. People only ridicule the Kent disguise because live action adaptations like Superman Returns and Smallville didn't take it seriously and sell it with conviction. They poked fun at it and lampshaded it.

Let me be clear, I absolutely think Snyder and company should keep the Clark Kent disguise. I want to see Clark slouching while walking unmolested amongst the crowds of Metropolis, and being told by the clerk at the 7-11 that he looks sort of like that Superman fellow who foiled the alien invasion. What I don't want is for people who should know better - the residents of Smallville, Lois, Perry, the US Government - to act stupidly and be completely thrown off by glasses and a part in his hair. It's going to be difficult for Snyder to put forward what he calls a realistic take on the character while keeping some semblance of what has helped the character stay relevant for 75 years, but I am hoping he can pull it off.

Just playing Devil's advocate, but wouldn't searching Metropolis be a good place to start? The city is known for being the home of Superman and it is likely that Superman in this universe will at least spend most of his time there especially if WB wants MOS in a shared universe (you won't have Superman spending just as much time in Gotham as in Metropolis). That would already narrow the location of Superman down to just a single city as opposed to the whole world.

Yeah, that is true of the comics but Superman tends be portrayed as a global hero in the films if anything. But, accepting your point, it is also a massive city based on what we've seen from the trailers. It seems to put even New York to shame. So let's say it is a megacity of 25 million. There is still a huge difference between searching through a city that size on a regular basis and having the police and FBI go through footage of a well documented public event from a few small locations (where the bombs were planted). So far, it seems that these sort of social media investigations are only effective in regards to finding the perpetrators of very public crimes. Searching for private citizens going about their daily lives and not doing anything suspicious based on whether they resemble Superman is a completely different story. Also, I hate to say it but politics play a huge part in Boston or Vancouver style investigations. They involve a massive coordination of resources for very specific purposes - they can justify such massive expenditure because it is a finite endeavor, not necessary very often, and is needed to quell public outrage and deter copycats. You can't keep a manhunt on that scale going for very long. It is too expensive and you need to divert resources back to everyday policing.

I think we may just be getting the Superman we need AND deserve !

Seeing people getting drawn up into the gravity beam is pretty tense.

Jor-El and Zod stepping up for their one-on-one battle?

Things move so fast on these boards now, I can't tell how many people know about this guy. He's glimpsed in trailer #3, but this has got to be the infamous mo cap man right?

M3xJOQo.jpg

(Again loads of people have probably said this exact same thing, but I don't think it's reached the stage where such info is taken for granted.)

Can someone please post the link to the HD tv spot!? I cant seem to view it from the phone.

Things move so fast on these boards now, I can't tell how many people know about this guy. He's glimpsed in trailer #3, but this has got to be the infamous mo cap man right?

M3xJOQo.jpg

(Again loads of people have probably said this exact same thing, but I don't think it's reached the stage where such info is taken for granted.)

Damn. A genetically engineered giant lol or maybe he's a robot.

IT'S ONLINE! OFFICIAL HD!

[YT]q5zVB7TZs9I[/YT]

Just orgasm'ed through my eyeballs and out my sphincter. Didn't think it was possible, but you learn something new everyday. MAN OF STEEL, FTW!!!!!!!! That's my last viewing of T.V spots and any new footage! Hurry up, June 14h......... HURRY YOUR ASS UP!!!!!!

Just orgasm'ed through my eyeballs and out my sphincter.
...Graphic.

So, I think it's safe to say, based on what we've seen in this TV spot & the most recent trailer...

Metropolis is effed. Hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back