All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - Part 71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clouds can move while you're standing still too? I don't even care. Could just be the smoke from the car behind him.

Clouds can move while you're standing still too? I don't even care. Could just be the smoke from the car behind him.
Given the second shot comes 3 seconds after the first one, clouds don't move that fast. But I don't care either, it looks awesome.

From @NotoriousJLD on twitter. He put a google doc up with the following reactions:
NOTE: I DID NOT SEE MAN OF STEEL, but collected reactions from a few tipsters who did … or know people who did.

Here’s what they said ...

----

FROM MOVIE PEOPLE, sent directly to me

- MOS is awesome. :) Best summer movie yet.

- I loved MOS. Completely disagreed with people nitpicking "not enough personality." It's different: Bigger action, tight, VERY focused story.

----

FROM DANIEL DALTON, on his Twitter timeline @wordsbydan

- Man Of Steel is unlike any Superman film you’ve ever seen. Initial thoughts: Looked amazing, action was stunning, Cavill & cast excellent.

- Best film he's made. I loved his Watchmen, but this is a better fit for his skills. Oh, and there was no slo-mo :)

- Rusty was great, got a nice opening scene. K-Cost rocked the world weary farm wisdom of Pa Kent like a boss.

- as much as I enjoyed Returns, this is an entirely different beast. Returns felt anachronistic somehow. MoS is of this time.

- Singer’s film was too tied to Donner’s. This shrugs off any creative shackles and paints with a free brush.

-----

THIRD-HAND ACCOUNTS

- Posted to my TL by @terriwoodschels: one dm I got for MOS stated that it made him weep it was that great. He wishes he could write about it and beak this embargo.

- Posted to my TL by @notrip_22: heard "crazy good" spoke to me personally, very good, 11/10, 10/10, great, winning the lottery, best superhero movie ever.

- DM from a movie blogger: I haven't seen MoS, but from those that have (and are under embargo) I've heard it's abysmal.

And the panic begins!!!

Jenn Murphy ‏@jambot0110 9h
Also it definitely fails the Bechdel Test. Seriously can big budget movies create a decent role for a woman? It's getting pretty ridiculous.
Expand
Jenn Murphy ‏@jambot0110 10h
There's a reason why they told us not to tweet about the movie we just saw: IT'S TERRIBLE!!!

Also Korey from Spill.com mentioned a couple times in their podcasts that he has word from a friend that MoS was terrific.

Yeah he is check the building in this shot:
tumblr_mnn1sgWaT71rfv1sjo3_250.gif

That's what hours of outdoor shooting does ;).

"I'm no expert in regards to Superman's villains, but I'd much prefer a more intimate personal villain for the second one as opposed to outright expanding everything. That's what made TDK such a great counterpart to Batman Begins, it's scale was magnified towards Gotham city, rather than expanded to include larger and more dangerous external forces with more faraway settings."

I'd argue that the scale was SMALLER against Gotham City, since a device isn't threatening to destroy it entirely, and I feel like the latter is more emotionally gripping. That's why I'm advocating Metallo as a master henchmen, and Lex as the criminal mastermind. I feel like Lex is a personal villain who wasn't done justice in movies. Also, if Supes vs Zod is the ultimate fight so far, I think a smaller one wouldn't be a step back, but a chance to show how Superman and Metropolis interact. There are so many themes that a more intimate villain can generate. Also, I think seeing THIS would be cool:
2634182-kal__krypto_vs_metall_0.jpg

Yeah he is check the building in this shot:
tumblr_mnn1sgWaT71rfv1sjo3_250.gif
No, he isn't. Look at the missing/different cars in each of your examples. He's likely on the same street, but not in the same place and we have no indication of how those shots relate to each other in the scene.

Again, clouds move quickly. Smoke is hazy. And you're jumping to conclusions.

The mind is a funny thing. I've read probably 10-15 reactions from various places. Mostly Twitter. 14 have been great and glowing, and this one "terrible" reaction sort of made my stomach drop a bit lol. I need to get a grip.

Jenn's tweets sound like After Earth to me ;)

I thought it could be from something else too... hopefully it is lol.

The mind is a funny thing. I've read probably 10-15 reactions from various places. Mostly Twitter. 14 have been great and glowing, and this one "terrible" reaction sort of made my stomach drop a bit lol. I need to get a grip.

The concept of ONE person disliking it gives me hope. Because it means that the people who liked it might not have been paid off by WB. :yay:

I can't be the only one to notice the continuity error here (hint:the sky):

It doesn't matter though. It looks great so who cares!

It's different shots for probably two different scenes... when I was making the gifs I was looking at the frames, it has two different camera cuts.

4RSI2Ev.gif

i2wjnULqugxfM.gif

vTxZrbo.gif

iRbIpC2NbMwdf.gif

I thought it could be from something else too... hopefully it is lol.

The Bling Ring

maymMmv.jpg

This is Dan's INITIAL tweet "Man Of Steel is unlike any Superman film you’ve ever seen. Looked amazing, action was stunning, Cavill & cast excellent.

It's gonna rock the summer.

Jenn's tweets aren't about After Earth, seeing she can talk about After Earth all she wants. It is either World War Z or Man of Steel but seeing she just saw it last night I would guess MOS. Also, that is what the (one lady who saw MOS said, reason why WB doesn't want them to tweet about it is because its not good).

That's what hours of outdoor shooting does ;).

"I'm no expert in regards to Superman's villains, but I'd much prefer a more intimate personal villain for the second one as opposed to outright expanding everything. That's what made TDK such a great counterpart to Batman Begins, it's scale was magnified towards Gotham city, rather than expanded to include larger and more dangerous external forces with more faraway settings."

I'd argue that the scale was SMALLER against Gotham City, since a device isn't threatening to destroy it entirely, and I feel like the latter is more emotionally gripping. That's why I'm advocating Metallo as a master henchmen, and Lex as the criminal mastermind. I feel like Lex is a personal villain who wasn't done justice in movies. Also, if Supes vs Zod is the ultimate fight so far, I think a smaller one wouldn't be a step back, but a chance to show how Superman and Metropolis interact. There are so many themes that a more intimate villain can generate. Also, I think seeing THIS would be cool:
2634182-kal__krypto_vs_metall_0.jpg

actually they did get bigger in TDK....in BB...Ra's was trying to destroy Gotham via chemicals on criminals and was centralized on the hollows....while Joker had the whole city living in fear....he was blowing up hospitals, killing fake Batmen, kidnapping news reporters, screwing up law officials, killing Rachael...everything about TDK was amped up from BB.

small review from Daniel Dalton
More of an origin story of Kal-El than Clark Kent - if that makes sense - from the opening scenes on Krypton to the arrival of General Zod and the threatened genocide of humanity, Man of Steel is about what it means to be human - how Kal-El finally accepts he is Clark Kent, and how human kind accept Superman as one of our own.

It’s a film about being an outsider - being different, and accepting yourself whether others do or not.

It’s a film about fathers and sons, and - with more than a few sly biblical references - it’s a film about faith. Not necessarily religious faith, but faith in others. Faith in yourself.

Negatives would be the lack of character development in anyone other than Kal/Clark - Martha Kent and Lois Lane both suffer from underwriting, and Lois Lane especially is denied the chance to develop beyond two strong scenes, becoming a damsel in distress/love interest by film’s end.

Not quite at the same level as Batman Begins, but gives a stronger platform for sequel development than Superman Returns did.

I didn’t intend to write so much, but it’s been on my mind all day. I look forward to chatting about it with you all when it’s out in cinemas!

Did that Jen girl mean MOs? 2 days ago the same happened with an After Earth tweet we confused for a MoS one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"