All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - Part 71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lois? noooo :(
The other reviews said she was a very active character

Man, I cannot wait to see this movie for myself next week.

You are seeing it next week? GOOD! I expect you to report back asap! :woot:

Anyway:

Russell: Do you want to talk about Man of Steel itself?

Kevin Smith: **** yeah, I can’t wait man. They haven’t let me see any more of it than anybody else or anything like that, but here in town there are folks who have seen it. All I keep hearing from those people, when an Agent says “people really seem to like this movie” that’s the highest praise you’ll ever get in Los Angeles. Most of the time people are like “everyone ******* hates it, dude” but with this one people can’t hide it. They may have cracked the Superman code again, man. I’m looking forward to it. The trailers make me cry, as much as I can put together about the story I’m there for.

Why care what others think?

People will always have different tastes.

Some will love it just because it's Superman, has good action or that it has a handsome man!

Some will hate it because it's not Marvel or Batman, because Zod is different than they imagined or because it failed the Bechdel test!

How many films that you love got mixed reviews?

How many films people absolutely loved that you just didn't care for?

Just wait and see it and judge for yourself.

Though the trailer/TV Spots certainly seem to imply that Lois isn't just damsel in distress, she takes **** into her own hands and fights back.

That sounds infinitely better than LOLRachel Dawes.

You mean that one shot of her shooting a Kryptonian gun? k.

the bechdel test sounds silly to me.
Of course you're gonna have Martha/Lois/Faora talking about Superman

what else can they talk about in a Superman movie? how different the weather in Krypton and earth are?

???

In that case, once you see the movie we can't take your opinion seriously because of your gender bias. I'm sure you didn't mean for your statement to come off as sexist, but it sure did.
Nobody's opinion is invalid.

That's not what I meant, I'm saying if that if it's the ONLY big negative of Man of Steel from her perspective, then you have to wonder how biased she really is about the whole gender spectrum. Plus I'm more curious to hear about potential writing problems/character development/etc.

I know someone who went to the Academy screening last night, and says if you're a fan of Henry Cavill, you'll love it.

Which means he must have been pretty good. :oldrazz:

The first thing she said about it is that there was a lot of action, and that it's LOUD. :funny: Some corny dialogue at times. (Oh dat Goyer. :funny: )

She couldn't say more, and I asked her privately if it was well-made and if she liked it, and she said yes to both. :up:

surprised-great-scott.jpg

Well of course its going to fail the bechdel test. The character is male, the protagonist is male. What did she think, lois and faora are going to discuss how one does their hair ???!

The Bechdel test is silly. TDKR actually passes with two VERY short exchanges between Selina and Jen, but nobody would call that movie female-centric. :funny:

the bechdel test sounds silly to me.
Of course you're gonna have Martha/Lois/Faora talking about Superman

what else can they talk about in a Superman movie? how different the weather in Krypton and earth are?

???

yeah it's one of those tests that loses all meaning in a situation like this
It's an origin story for Superman
All the characters (that means men too) will be talking about Superman
being that it's an origin story any character that's not Superman himself is secondary, therefore, when people other than Superman talk, it's about Superman.

You said because it's the same writers, it should be equally good... and TDKR did have a weaker script than the other two.

TDKR had an obscene amount of pressure on it. Aside from WB's "need" to build a shared universe, MOS doesn't have to be great, it just has to be decent and action-packed. So I think it can MORE than deliver on expectations, which were somewhat low early on, before the trailers really captured the element of fighting. Darn you trailer 3! You've made the movie look perfect ! :woot:

yeah it's one of those tests that loses all meaning in a situation like this
It's an origin story for Superman
All the characters (that means men too) will be talking about Superman
being that it's an origin story any character that's not Superman himself is secondary, therefore, when people other than Superman talk, it's about Superman.

Yeah and Lois is supposed to be chasing stories about him before he makes his debut so, yeah , of course her role is all about Superman.
Or was this movie supposed to start with Lois' childhood and all that.
:huh:

And of course Faora/Martha & Lois are gonna talk about him. Did she expect Faora to do something else.

You said because it's the same writers, it should be equally good...

So? You have a problem with that? Yes, it should be. What Goyer did with Batman is the same as with Superman. Rip-off a couple of comic books. And considering what a huge responsibility Superman is...and the fact that both Nolan and his wife went on record more than once about how they were helping with the script and considering no script Nolan was ever involved in was truly bad, I'd say my logic is pretty damn good.

and TDKR did have a weaker script than the other two.

In your opinion (when it comes to BB). That's not fact.

Maybe she did think it was terrible! It could be so bad it causes the end of the world! Cats and dogs living together and such! :whatever:

I'm not saying she's lying, the movie could very well be terrible. But, it still comes off as a tweet to rile up people.

He was doing more to UPSET Gotham's citizens, rather than destroy them.

If the TDK trilogy goes like this-Anithero-Villain-
Henchman

I want MOS to go like this:Antihero-
Henchman-
Villain

Not only would it build anticipation for the next villain, but it would also bump up hype for the next flick.

I would rather have a good, okay, great progression of quality than a
good, great, okay "progression." Because then everyone is disappointed by the third film.

Though it seems like we might get a great-good progression if MOS is nearly as awesome as it looks. ;)

But you are missing an important part...Nolan's trilogy was always going to be a trilogy so the villains picked for TDKR tied into the villain of BB and tied the series up....and Bane wasn't the main villain of TDKR...it was Talia

the way i see a sequel going and I havent seen this film is:
There are gonna be some people not ok with a powerful alien doling out justice on the planet and so we'll see an earthbound villain for that...if it will be Lex or some other person or agency remains to be seen

Ugh. That Jenn tweet and the reviewer saying it's not at the level of Batman Begins, has definitely brought my expectations back to reality. This place could get ugly soon.

But we just got to remember that what is seemingly the overwhelming majority are loving this film, and we really just have to judge it for ourselves.

It makes sense that Lois and Martha are perhaps underdeveloped. This is Clark's movie. There will be room in the sequel to further develop Lois.

Russell: Do you want to talk about Man of Steel itself?

Kevin Smith: **** yeah, I can’t wait man. They haven’t let me see any more of it than anybody else or anything like that, but here in town there are folks who have seen it. All I keep hearing from those people, when an Agent says “people really seem to like this movie” that’s the highest praise you’ll ever get in Los Angeles. Most of the time people are like “everyone ******* hates it, dude” but with this one people can’t hide it. They may have cracked the Superman code again, man. I’m looking forward to it. The trailers make me cry, as much as I can put together about the story I’m there for.

wtf does he mean? LOL

The Bechdel test is silly. TDKR actually passes with two VERY short exchanges between Selina and Jen, but nobody would call that movie female-centric. :funny:

It is completely pointless. Anytime someone mentions the Bechdel test as a way they honestly judge a movie, I loose respect for that person and their opinions. It is just so arbitrary.

Maybe the Twitter user's dislike of the film comes from expectations. For instance, superman and Lois are very much equals, they're a perfect match for one another. It's why guys and girls love Lois, she's a strong character. But does that mean they'll get the same amount of screen time or character development in an origin movie about Superman? Not likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"