All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
But surely Whedon is no Snyder?

I don't know... Snyder's had his fair share of clunkers too (Watchmen and Legend of the Guardians were pretty good, Dawn of the Dead was okay). Mind you, those also had Snyder co-writing the script...

Regardless of how many films he's directed, Whedon can control a budget like nobody's business. And for a novice feature director, he takes to big-budget directing like a duck to water.

I don't understand the double standard some fans have for J.J. Abrams, when Whedon is as new to filmmaking as he is.

Hahaha! Way to out yourself. I'm a huge Nolan fan, I'm just not a blind fanatic. When I made my original post, I wasn't specifically thinking of you, but the fact that you took offense says something. I must have struck a nerve.

Hahaha! Way to out yourself. I'm a huge Nolan fan, I'm just not a blind fanatic. When I made my original post, I wasn't specifically thinking of you, but the fact that you took offense says something. I must have struck a nerve.

:applaud:applaud:applaud:

Dark Knight is a raging Nolanite. He also hates all things Marvel.

Back to Whedon. I mean Nolan. I mean....Superman?

Who is this Superman you speak of? :huh:

:oldrazz:

Joss Whedon: Call me. No, seriously, it's enormously difficult to take very disparate characters and make them work. And DC has a harder time of it than Marvel because their characters are from a bygone era where characters were bigger than we were. Marvel really cracked the code in terms of them being just like us. I think you need to use that as your base.

I really don't know how everyone else is reading this, but it seemed right to me.

DC characters ARE intended to be bigger than we are. That's the reason graphic novels like Earth One annoy the bad place out of us fans and start us on a 'they are trying to 'marvelise' Superman' rant. We see it exactly the same way.

And he's right in the sense that it's the relatable aspects that you should be using as your base. That's something that Snyder pretty much keeps consistently repeating about MOS too.

I don't see why people think it was him being arrogant... I just don't see it :huh:

Regardless of how many films he's directed, Whedon can control a budget like nobody's business. And for a novice feature director, he takes to big-budget directing like a duck to water.

I don't understand the double standard some fans have for J.J. Abrams, when Whedon is as new to filmmaking as he is.

Agreed.

Besides, I haven't gotten over J Abrhams Superman script...

Out of boredom, a World's Finest film, a good idea or a fanboy wet dream?

"Never before seen MAN OF STEEL set images and video coming very soon to Nuke The Fridge .... Stay tuned" per NTF facebook page.

How awesome it would be if they pulled a fast one on us and the video actually turned out to be a the teaser.

Oh well...

Out of boredom, a World's Finest film, a good idea or a fanboy wet dream?

God I want one.

But right now, I don't see how it would work.

Basically Nolan has pretty heavily distanced Batman from a world in which anything 'supernatural' or 'alien' exist. And I think the next Batman franchise needs to undo that to a certain extent.

Sure it's great to have had a take on Batman that was widy popular, and accesible and critically well received. But if you HAVE to ignore any fantasy elements of Batman in order to please the 'intellectual' crowd, then don't bother.

Because Batman IS more than just the solitary hero in a gritty realistic world.

He's the human hero in a world full of superhuman threats, and superhuman allies.

But yeah, basically I think that idea has to be re established before the audience will be ready to see Superman and Batman teaming up on screen.

Honestly, if Warner Bros doesn't wish to have two live action versions of Superman going around, or doesn't care that they won't have Superman in a JLA film, IF MOS proves to be a success and creates at least a trilogy, don't expect to see a JLA movie within the near future.

I'd say, it might be a good 10-15 years from now, before we see a JLA film.

I mean, Warner Bros. would have to start with having their new batman (after Nolan) be inside of a shared universe with other heroes.

And then they'd have to release films for other major JLA characters, and not to mention...ALL of these films would have to have some measure of success in order to keep building up to the big film.

I really don't know how everyone else is reading this, but it seemed right to me.

DC characters ARE intended to be bigger than we are. That's the reason graphic novels like Earth One annoy the bad place out of us fans and start us on a 'they are trying to 'marvelise' Superman' rant. We see it exactly the same way.

And he's right in the sense that it's the relatable aspects that you should be using as your base. That's something that Snyder pretty much keeps consistently repeating about MOS too.

I don't see why people think it was him being arrogant... I just don't see it :huh:

Whedon wants DC characters to become more human, more relate able, more "Marvelized".

His Wonder Woman script was rejected by WB because of this type of approach, DC characters are meant to be larger than life, rather than "fit" in the regular world.

How awesome it would be if they pulled a fast one on us and the video actually turned out to be a the teaser.

Oh well...

it would be awesome, I just hope they aren't jerking us around with this stuff...they promised HD pics like a month or so ago and we haven't seen those yet...

Such a sad thing with the rebooting trend. Even though Marvel started it, they're at least exploring their assets.

DC/WB is rebooting Batman.

Is that really all you got DC/WB? I know DC might not have as many famous or interesting characters to adapt as Marvel. At least not for standalone movies, and especially not when they start out with the biggest and most powerful they have, Superman.

But there are still some great characters to choose from I'd say, instead of just rebooting an old familiar. That just seems desperate.

Such a shame about the misfire that was Green Lantern. I guess a reboot is outta the question for at least 5 years or so.

But looking past the members of JL, what other DC-characters need love too while carrying potential for something great, would you say?

Whedon wants DC characters to become more human, more relate able, more "Marvelized".

I really don't see where he said that. He just said they were harder to handle because they are less human and relatable than Marvel's 'like us' characters. Which I agree with.

His Wonder Woman script was rejected by WB because of this type of approach, DC characters are meant to be larger than life, rather than "fit" in the regular world.

Yeah, that's what I just said, and that's what he said too.

He is acknowledging that it is easier to approach Marvel characters and particularly The Avengers as a team up, because the characters don't have such a larger than life feel, and they can fit easily into the real world.

And he's acknowledging that in having that advantage, they have 'cracked the code' in terms of how to put them on the big screen, especially in a time when being 'in the real world' seems to be the standard of a critically well received superhero movie.

DC have yet to do that other than Batman, and it would be a lot harder to pull together a JL movie at this point in time because all the characters have backstories that would need to be established in a more 'real world' way before you could really begin to try and make them fit in today's superhero movie climate.

Personally, I'd rather they just waited.

I'll believe it when I see these pics and video. We never got the HD pics that were promised.

See, but that's childish. I love Nolan's work and so does 98% of the Batboards, but the 'extremists' are only a small portion (from what I've seen). Alot of Nolan fans on this site are reasonable, and cite Nolan's weaknesses as a film-maker. They might worship him but it's not the case where the Batboards claim Nolan to be a God. At the worst, we'll get a poster or two who exaggerate and make menial remarks, however, that shouldn't justify backlash.

Will it be fair to all Marvel/Avenger fans if the successes of film leads to instant Joss Whedon hatred/bashing?

If the opinion of Nolan comes via Nolan-Extremists, then I pity the individuals who bash Nolan because of a group of idiots. In other cases, it's just competitive fanboyism -- that doesn't bother me.
I don't get this backlash thing. If there is a backlash to Nolan it's a very small group that isn't even worth mentioning because I haven't seen this huge backlash.

I do agree that the crazies have started to fade away though and that's a good thing.

Extremely popular directors always get a backlash at some point.

True but what Nolan backlash are people implying? I ain't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"