BvS All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 99

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to Batman Be-Leaguered. The promo looks all kinds of fun.

I'm looking forward to Batman Be-Leaguered. The promo looks all kinds of fun.

It's suuuuuuuuuuuuper fun. It premiered in the UK over the weekend and it's witty, action-packed, all-ages entertainment.

Why did SofNascimento get banned?

Sure it can with the brand recognition of Marvel now and their marketing machine.

But, the release date is going to be the deciding factor in this. Cap 3 doesn't have an entire month to itself, not to mention it'll be following an Avngers film, meaning we just saw them team up a year ago. Novelty might wear off.

But I doubt it. If I had to guess, both films will make a billion but will be separated by less than 300 million worldwide.

If very mediocre movies like TF4 and Pirates of the Caribbean can make a billion, BvS and Cap3 should get there easily (in theory). The novelty factor gives the advantage to BvS, time will tell.

If very mediocre movies like TF4 and Pirates of the Caribbean can make a billion, BvS and Cap3 should get there easily (in theory). The novelty factor gives the advantage to BvS, time will tell.

MoS missed the box office rush in China which happened this year. Last year, IM3 made 102M in China after releasing on a 5 day holiday and being promoted heavily. Fast 6 made 72M, MoS made 65M, Thor 2 made 61M.

This year, the Chinese box office has exploded, last year the Chinese box office was 4.2Billion for the entire year. This year, it broke 5 Billion in mid-August. That expansion has helped movies as well, TASM2 made 95M up from 50M for TASM, Cap 2 made 111M, DOFP made 115M, DOTPOTA made 113M and of course TF4 made 313M (it is a major outlier). Godzilla made 78M but it had extenuating circumstances preventing it from hitting 100M, namely TF4 released 10 days after Godzilla in China and sucked the air out of the box office, else Godzilla would have joined the 100M club in China for Hollywood movies this year.

If the Chinese box office keeps expanding over the next 2 years (very possible since saturation won't be reached till 2018 according to analysts and they add roughly 500 theaters including a significant number of IMAX screens every year), both BvS and Cap 3 can make 200M from China alone. Especially since the first weekend of April is a 5 day holiday in China, if BvS can secure that as the release date it will have a major run in the country.

Last edited:
SofN was... I had my problems, personally I. Suspect English wasn't his native tongue, which lead to some problems, however I was looking through his post history up until yesterday, and he didn't seem to post anything ban worthy. Maybe he was a white walker? A previously banned member?

MoS missed the box office rush in China which happened this year. Last year, IM3 made 102M in China after releasing on a 5 day holiday and being promoted heavily. Fast 6 made 72M, MoS made 65M, Thor 2 made 61M.

This year, the Chinese box office has exploded, last year the Chinese box office was 4.2Billion for the entire year. This year, it broke 5 Billion in mid-August. That expansion has helped movies as well, TASM2 made 95M up from 50M for TASM, Cap 2 made 111M, DOFP made 115M, DOTPOTA made 113M and of course TF4 made 313M (it is a major outlier).

If the Chinese box office keeps expanding over the next 2 years (very possible since saturation won't be reached till 2018 according to analysts and they add roughly 500 theaters including a significant number of IMAX screens every year), both BvS and Cap 3 can make 200M from China alone. Especially since the first weekend of April is a 5 day holiday in China, if BvS can secure that as the release date it will have a major run in the country.

Whoa. Nice post. That's some interesting data. I had no idea China was blowing up in that way with regards to theater expansions. I would imagine marketing these films over there is going to pick up significantly which would increase studio marketing expenses - but ultimately bring in huge returns at the BO.

Good stuff.

This year, the Chinese box office has exploded, last year the Chinese box office was 4.2Billion for the entire year. This year, it broke 5 Billion in mid-August. That expansion has helped movies as well, TASM2 made 95M up from 50M for TASM, Cap 2 made 111M, DOFP made 115M, DOTPOTA made 113M and of course TF4 made 313M (it is a major outlier). Godzilla made 78M but it had extenuating circumstances preventing it from hitting 100M, namely TF4 released 10 days after Godzilla in China and sucked the air out of the box office, else Godzilla would have joined the 100M club in China for Hollywood movies this year.

I remember reading about the chinese market isn't paying the studios in full. Is this true?

Man of Steel came out in China a few days after its North American release date so I see BVS coming a few days after BVS. BVS is coming out during Spring Break (on Good Friday) and a 5 day holiday could help BVS do gangbusters.

I remember reading about the chinese market isn't paying the studios in full. Is this true?

They settled that dispute early this year. Basically, in China studios get a clean 25% of the box office, unless it is a co-production in which case they get 35% (TF4 was a co-production). The issue arose when the Chinese film group SARFT asked for a 2% service fee from studios, they settled it in the end but no one knows what the settlement was.

Whoa. Nice post. That's some interesting data. I had no idea China was blowing up in that way with regards to theater expansions. I would imagine marketing these films over there is going to pick up significantly which would increase studio marketing expenses - but ultimately bring in huge returns at the BO.

Good stuff.

In China, studios spend zero on marketing since SARFT does all the marketing for the studios. Of course, studios can market their movies if they want, Disney famously flew RDJ to Beijing and Shanghai to promote IM3 and got a 5 day holiday weekend for the opening. If they had done that this year, IM3 may have got 200M from China. Since studios don't have to spend any money promoting movies, anything they get from China is pure profit, which is of course why SARFT decided on the service fee.

Man of Steel came out in China a few days after its North American release date so I see BVS coming a few days after BVS. BVS is coming out during Spring Break (on Good Friday) and a 5 day holiday could help BVS do gangbusters.

That is a pretty good spot. I still think Memorial Day is a better weekend, but the weekend before spring break ain't bad either.

Watch Ryan Choi be this movies version of The Atom, he will get more screentime than Batman and Superman. Also the final battle will take place in Beijing. And the Daily Planet will be bought by a Chinese billionaire.

7xt7YAm.jpg

This guy is coming back!

7xt7YAm.jpg

This guy is coming back!

Funnily enough, his story arc was the reason that TDK did not get a China release. It didn't make much of a difference as it would probably have made only 20-30M in China max as this was before the market really blew up.

And he got killed by the villain every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"