BvS All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - Part 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes this convo is starting to bore me as well. It's a back and forth from people who know nothing.

I know, it was an all too obvious segue way... But then what we know vs. what we don't is so minuscule that rampant speculation is bound to happen, especially with some of the posters here. Cest la vie.

I'm a fan of Dark Knight Returns, so yeah I do agree that certain aspects get blown out of proportion by some people. Of course Snyder's Batman will have things in common with other versions of Batman...it's Batman. There are certain commonalities that are always going to be there. But I do personally think it's more than visual and that Snyder is going to be channeling some of that DKR spirit with his Batman. I thought it was interesting that Chuck Roven described this Batman as "very, very rough". And yes, he also described this Bruce Wayne as a very social animal (ala BTAS), so there you go- I'm acknowledging that it's not going to be 100% DKR.

"Very, very rough" could mean many things -- it certainly does not mean that Batman's overall characterization will be completely in line with what it was in TDKR. But yeah, I think we're all expecting Batman's fighting to be pretty brutal in this film compared to what we've seen in live action so far, which is a trait that is not exclusive to Miller's Batman.

Besides...it seems entirely feasible to me that it'll be part of Batman's arc in this film could be starting off as more extreme/cynical and ending up somewhere a little more balanced by the end, as a result of Superman's impact on him.

Exactly, that's what I'm predicting, and it sounds awesome to me.

I could be completely wrong and I'd happily admit that. But it just makes some level of sense to go with a slightly more extreme Batman to help play up the contrast between Bats and Supes in this movie. I mean, if there's any movie to do that in, it's this one.

Yup, and once again, Batman using extreme methods or being "rough" around the edges isn't by any means a Miller-only character trait. It's pretty much become a staple of the character in many interpretations.

I will not believe these rumours. I can not believe these rumours. No matter how much Snyder loves DKR he couldn't possibly replace the best Robin, Dick became great as Nightwing, with a one shot unpopular Robin that isn't even popular or all that well recieved. Its gotta be Oracle right?

That goes right out the window in the first place when you realize this is the first meeting of Batman and Superman, Wonder Woman has a role in the film, and this is going to launch a huge DC film universe that could never have been launched from a story that resembles TDKR.

Batman...

Superman...

Wonder Woman...

Doesn't resemble TDKR...

Oh, no...

He's adapting THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN!

Crap, someone beat me to it.

That's what I get for reading backwards.

Last edited:
Yes this convo is starting to bore me as well. It's a back and forth from people who know nothing.

You've described 80% of all superhero-related interactions on the Hype, many of which you've participated in. Well done.

I know, it was an all too obvious segue way... But then what we know vs. what we don't is so minuscule that rampant speculation is bound to happen, especially with some of the posters here. Cest la vie.
Yeah, yeah you're right of course. Speculation is the name of the game.

Exactly, that's what I'm predicting, and it sounds awesome to me.

Okay, so we're pretty much in agreement then?

All I'm saying is that Batman will probably start out more Miller-ized in this movie, and because of that I think specific DKR elements (such as perhaps Carrie) could be on the table. He will obviously have to de-Millerize at some point in order to be a part of the JLA. Hence whatever arc lies in store for him in this movie. The more extreme you make him at first, the more meaningful it will be for him to eventually be able to co-exist with Supes. Basic storytelling.

And sure, Miller isn't the only writer to portray as Batman "rough", but he sure as heck did it in a more monumental way than any other comic writer could claim. Why not borrow from a classic? Especially when it's your favorite.

Last edited:
It seems entirely feasible to me that it'll be part of Batman's arc in this film could be starting off as more extreme/cynical and ending up somewhere a little more balanced by the end, as a result of Superman's impact on him. I mean, to me that's the beauty of what you can do with movie adaptations when you're mixing up different pieces of source material. Things can be more fluid. Characters can grow and change. I'm sure Batman is going to have to go through some sort of arc in this movie before he's going to be capable of being a part of a team with superpowered beings.

I could be completely wrong and I'd happily admit that. But it just makes some level of sense to go with a slightly more extreme Batman to help play up the contrast between Bats and Supes in this movie. I mean, if there's any movie to do that in, it's this one.

I could see that work too, sort of starting out in a TDKR fashion but all the heroes coming to the fore could somewhat "rejuvenate" Bruce. Or perhaps the impending threat from something big (Doomsday/Brainiac/Metallo?) jumpstarts the partnership between him and Supes. Either way I highly doubt even if Malone is cast as Carrie that it means she'll have anything vaguely resembling a major role to play. Like you say perhaps his arc could start out at the backend of his career where he was used to encountering "normal" villains like Penguin/Joker (not suggesting they'll be in BvS, just conceptually) and the introduction of a super-powered villain serves to transition him from Batman + Robin/s to Batman seeing the necessity of a Justice League.

I'm hoping the introduction and cameos of the other league members is maybe briefly sprinkled throughout the duration of BvS with the conclusive scene being something that solidifies the need for a team in both the minds of Bruce and Clark, and that it needs their initiative to come together. Similar to the vibe in X-men: First Class where Xavier/Erik go around finding mutants. Batman + Superman going around recruiting Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash would be epic :woot:

I think she's just as likely to be a Luthor henchwoman or something.

Marketingwise, I'm hard pressed to see WB using this Robin before Dick Grayson or even Tim Drake.

Unless she gon' die.

Get ready.

tumblr_ndaxpaJGtr1t8b0huo1_1280.jpg

Using carrie kelly Robin is genius

The heroes of this movie will be
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Robin
And Cyborg in a small role

Looks like the Superfriends

So apparently that artist thinks that her goggles are just like, regular glasses...

I love the idea of having Carrie Kelley in this film. It would ground Batman's character a bit and give him a little more depth (e.g. being a fatherly figure).

I think she's just as likely to be a Luthor henchwoman or something.

Marketingwise, I'm hard pressed to see WB using this Robin before Dick Grayson or even Tim Drake.

Unless she gon' die.

Yeah, I doubt she's even a DC character. In the heat of the moment, it's hard for fans to remember that superhero films are also populated with a bunch of non-canon, secondary characters.

If Dick/Nightwing appears in the film I hope he has the classic blue/black costume, instead of the New 52 red/black costume.

She most certainly did not.

She wore big honkin' goggle things as Robin. With green lenses.

There's nothing all that "regular" about them. Which one assumes is why she wore them.
they kinda look like that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"