Arrow Arrow General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 28

Like whom?

Blake Lively, Nina Dobrev, Colton Haynes, Stephen Amell, Gina Rodriguez, Lili Reinhart.

They only get bit parts though. I can’t remember a single CW actor who became a movie star after being on a CW show. They usually stick to TV or TV movies

This isnt about being a big movie star, it's about being in movies. The right movie could have her miss half the season and thus not able to come back. Same reason why Jensen wasnt able to advance in becoming Captain America, because Supernatural took up to much of his time.

I never saw Brooklyn so I don’t know how EBR is as an actress outside of Arrow. I’m hoping it’s just the writing that makes her character so terrible. She could actually be a good actress for all I know...

Nah. Have you ever seen her bathroom blogs or segments? She is absolutely awful in that, and it's not the writing of any Arrow team. It's her herself. She is insufferable and so cringe worthy.

Blake Lively, Melissa Benoist and Gina Rodriguez have all had substantial roles in movies. And not just movies, but legit, GOOD movies, too. Gina's a Golden Globe-winner and Melissa's had a high-profile lead gig on Broadway, too.

The men of CW have not fared as well, and I don't see many plum roles in EBR's future just because she's not a very good actress, imo.

Blake Lively, Nina Dobrev, Colton Haynes, Stephen Amell, Gina Rodriguez, Lili Reinhart.

This isnt about being a big movie star, it's about being in movies. The right movie could have her miss half the season and thus not able to come back. Same reason why Jensen wasnt able to advance in becoming Captain America, because Supernatural took up to much of his time.
Those aren't movie stars. Arguably Lively, but that might be more due to who her husband is. She has had quite a few films since Gossip Girl.
All praise to Rodriguez though; she seems to be getting some leading woman roles, but not putting butts in the seats. Dobrev was in a XXX sequel and in that Let's Be Cops film, but that's it.

Now 15-20 years ago, WB stars got plenty of film opportunities. But that was a different world.

I doubt Jensen would have gotten the role for CA, but yeah you're right about Supernatural taking up too much of his time. But you're crazy if you think anyone on Arrow is getting leading male/female film offers.

It's mainly Melissa Benoist who is getting all the roles. EBR is hardly in the same league as her

Melissa Benoist is probably the only one who will have a future beyond her show. She already does a lot of stuff in between.
Oh Melissa Benoist will get work. honestly I hope Caity Lotz and Candice Patton do other things. Amell will probably get roles in action movies.. EBR? not sure.

Oh Melissa Benoist will get work. honestly I hope Caity Lotz and Candice Patton do other things. Amell will probably get roles in action movies.. EBR? not sure.

Depends if other people like this whole schtick she has going on which she demonstrates clearly in those bathroom videos. Obviously the creators of Arrow were charmed by it, but others might find it excruciating to watch. But if she's not trying to do comedy, then all that's left is drama, and her dramatic scenes are horrible and acted really badly.

Those aren't movie stars. Arguably Lively, but that might be more due to who her husband is. She has had quite a few films since Gossip Girl.
All praise to Rodriguez though; she seems to be getting some leading woman roles, but not putting butts in the seats. Dobrev was in a XXX sequel and in that Let's Be Cops film, but that's it.

Now 15-20 years ago, WB stars got plenty of film opportunities. But that was a different world.

I doubt Jensen would have gotten the role for CA, but yeah you're right about Supernatural taking up too much of his time. But you're crazy if you think anyone on Arrow is getting leading male/female film offers.

As I said. Don't try to change the narrative. And let's not act like Chris is some emmy award A+ actor. He is as basic as they come but fell into the right role.

As I said. Don't try to change the narrative. And let's not act like Chris is some emmy award A+ actor. He is as basic as they come but fell into the right role.
Change what narrative? I never stated Chris was a great actor, but he has more range than Jensen (who is pretty good considering he played a tv character for 14 years). Let's face it; CW actors aren't getting leading roles in blockbusters or Oscar bait and that's what you believed; when it's not true.

Change what narrative? I never stated Chris was a great actor, but he has more range than Jensen (who is pretty good considering he played a tv character for 14 years). Let's face it; CW actors aren't getting leading roles in blockbusters or Oscar bait and that's what you believed; when it's not true.

You obviously didn't read what I had quoted myself.
Primal Slayer said:
This isnt about being a big movie star, it's about being in movies. The right movie could have her miss half the season and thus not able to come back.

It doesnt matter what network you're on, majority of them don't go on to become blockbuster leading movie stars.

I was talking about big blockbuster movies. The only actor that I can think that is now considered a leading movie star is Chris Pratt.

Pratt also didn't become a movie star until 10 years after his WB tenure. Who knows where any of these actors will be in a decade. I think it's safe to say it's never happening for the Supernatural guys as they're Pratt's current age already (or in Ackles' case, older), but ya never know with these younger actors. Everybody's gotta start somewhere. Half of all "A-list" actors seem to have started on some soap opera, lol. All it takes is that one good role for people to see you differently and for the opportunities to open up. Hell, I certainly never expected Blake Lively to have much beyond a CW career, and while I still don't think much of her as an actress, I can't deny she's done quite well for herself outside of Gossip Girl.

You obviously didn't read what I had quoted myself.
Primal Slayer said:
This isnt about being a big movie star, it's about being in movies. The right movie could have her miss half the season and thus not able to come back.

It doesnt matter what network you're on, majority of them don't go on to become blockbuster leading movie stars.
My apologies.

I concur. But most of them are not even in consideration for roles. And the roles they are in consideration for would be B-films or films that specifically aimed at a teen-demographic.

CW actors have it far worse. Being considered a "teen idol" has a short shelf life.

Pratt also didn't become a movie star until 10 years after his WB tenure. Who knows where any of these actors will be in a decade. I think it's safe to say it's never happening for the Supernatural guys as they're Pratt's current age already (or in Ackles' case, older), but ya never know with these younger actors. Everybody's gotta start somewhere. Half of all "A-list" actors seem to have started on some soap opera, lol. All it takes is that one good role for people to see you differently and for the opportunities to open up. Hell, I certainly never expected Blake Lively to have much beyond a CW career, and while I still don't think much of her as an actress, I can't deny she's done quite well for herself outside of Gossip Girl.
It is quite a mystery why Lively is still relevant. She's a semi-decent actress married to an A-lister; I'm sure that helps.

I'm quite shocked about Pratt. I remember when he was guest starring on The OC and then he got supporting roles in Moneyball and Zero Dark Thirty.

James Gunn took a risk casting him for Guardians and he's never looked back. Though, he's only had a few non-blockbuster roles. Magnificent 7 remake and Passengers and neither was a HIT. So, perhaps Pratt can't sell a film other than as StarLord and fighting raptors.

James Gunn took a risk casting him for Guardians and he's never looked back. Though, he's only had a few non-blockbuster roles. Magnificent 7 remake and Passengers and neither was a HIT. So, perhaps Pratt can't sell a film other than as StarLord and fighting raptors.
I mean, that's not what defines a "movie star" these days, though. Even Tom Cruise movies outside of his big franchise are pretty hit-or-miss in terms of success. Same for RDJ. No one sells a movie on their name alone anymore.

Today, a movie star is simply a famous person people know from movies. Most people know who Blake Lively and Chris Pratt are, whether they like their work or not.

Well, if you are going to bring Jensen Ackles into it, I sort of wonder how he would have done as Captain America, but I think it's likely we'll see him on some cop show in a couple years.

I can also see Amell and even David Ramsey doing a cop show once Arrow is finish. Amell's performance in series one was at times wooden but over the years he gradually got better and now he's a decent actor imo. I do hope Amell gets a good role as he's a likable guy and I respect him for deciding to take a chance by seeking new roles instead of comfortably staying at Arrow for a few more seasons.

I mean, that's not what defines a "movie star" these days, though. Even Tom Cruise movies outside of his big franchise are pretty hit-or-miss in terms of success. Same for RDJ. No one sells a movie on their name alone anymore.

Today, a movie star is simply a famous person people know from movies. Most people know who Blake Lively and Chris Pratt are, whether they like their work or not.
Good point.

I doubt most folks know who Lively is though. Thank Jesus for that. She ain't the brightest bulb.

I can also see Amell and even David Ramsey doing a cop show once Arrow is finish. Amell's performance in series one was at times wooden but over the years he gradually got better and now he's a decent actor imo. I do hope Amell gets a good role as he's a likable guy and I respect him for deciding to take a chance by seeking new roles instead of comfortably staying at Arrow for a few more seasons.
I could see Ramsey doing a cop series. He seems among the best actors on Arrow IMO. But yeah, I concur that Amell got better over the years.

Did he have a say in ending the series? I assumed that was just for the press. Some actors on shows for a decade don't mind as they know they wouldn't have much opportunities elsewhere.

David Harewood's another actor who will have a respectable career when he's done with Supergirl, as he already had one before Supergirl was a show. But he'll most likely stick to BBC and cable stuff with the odd movie role thrown in every now and then like before.

And Kev, I have a feeling more people are familiar with Lively than you'd like, lol. Hell, my 66-year-old mom knows who she is, and she hasn't seen a frame of Gossip Girl in her life. The girl headlines movies on a regular basis, and some of those actually make money. Those Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants movies, Age of Adaline, The Shallows and A Simple Favor were all modest successes at the box office, and she was a lead in all of them. Not to mention her substantial supporting role in The Town which was a pretty big awards season movie. Just because she's not starring in blockbusters (if we ignore Green Lantern) doesn't mean people aren't familiar with her, especially when you factor in that she and Reynolds are a pretty high-profile celeb couple. As I said, I don't like her as an actress (though I'll admit she was actually pretty great in A Simple Favor), but she's fairly undeniably a famous movie star, imo.

Last edited:
I never knew Blake Lively as a CW actress because I never watched Gossip Girl and only saw her in cinema films. And she has been quite a few, and the lead too. I liked the Shallows and Age of Adeline, and A Simple Favour was alright but she was a bit crazy in there (which her character was anyway).

May Ernie Hudson comes to Star City and mistakes the character John Deegan from the Elseworlds crossover for John Diggle. Then Oliver can put on his Arrow growling voice and kick him into a hole while pointing to Diggle and saying "This is Spartan!"

I just had a thought. If Oliver dies, I would kill to have Slade show up at the funeral. I don't know if they can negotiate for Manu to be there, but he's been such an important part of Oliver's life and if he wasn't at the funeral I'd be slightly disappointed.

They should pull out all the stops for his funeral scene. He was the flagship character for the DCEU, the leader in several of the crossovers...he's mentored or otherwise built relationships with almost every hero in the current Arrowverse...he deserves a great farewell scene. Heck, I want Harry Wells to be there, I want Lenny Snart to be there...anyone he's even remotely close to, if they can get the actor, they need to be there.

They should pull out all the stops for his funeral scene. He was the flagship character for the DCEU, the leader in several of the crossovers...he's mentored or otherwise built relationships with almost every hero in the current Arrowverse...he deserves a great farewell scene. Heck, I want Harry Wells to be there, I want Lenny Snart to be there...anyone he's even remotely close to, if they can get the actor, they need to be there.
Whilst I'd want a large number of characters to be present, I doubt anyone would feel comfortable with Slade there, nor would I expect Snart to be present. They barely interacted.

An appearance by Slade offering his condolences may work, but he's not the kinda' guy to show up at the funeral I don't think. Those in attendance at the funeral should be actual friends of Ollie, or people that are close friends with a supporting cast member.
  • Team Arrow (obviously)
  • The Legends (specifically Sara Lance, Ray Palmer and John Constantine)
    • there's really no need for any of the others, as they haven't had that connection to Ollie
  • Team Flash (Barry, Cisco, Iris, maybe Joe?)
    • Don't quite see Caitlin needing to be there, nor a Wells. Has Ralph ever even met Ollie?
  • Supergirl - and Supergirl alone. Alex, John, Brainy (etc) haven't really interacted enough with Ollie to justify them being there.
Maybe a few guest characters too, like Nyssa? One thing that does make me wonder though (and I may be remembering this incorrectly), but isn't Ollie present when Barry disappears (in the future)? I seem to remember him being mentioned, or referenced, alongside Supergirl? If that is indeed the case, then either Barry is going to disappear earlier than expected, or the timeline is going to change. That, or we're all wrong, and Ollie isn't going to die just yet.

Whilst I'd want a large number of characters to be present, I doubt anyone would feel comfortable with Slade there, nor would I expect Snart to be present. They barely interacted.

An appearance by Slade offering his condolences may work, but he's not the kinda' guy to show up at the funeral I don't think. Those in attendance at the funeral should be actual friends of Ollie, or people that are close friends with a supporting cast member.
  • Team Arrow (obviously)
  • The Legends (specifically Sara Lance, Ray Palmer and John Constantine)
    • there's really no need for any of the others, as they haven't had that connection to Ollie
  • Team Flash (Barry, Cisco, Iris, maybe Joe?)
    • Don't quite see Caitlin needing to be there, nor a Wells. Has Ralph ever even met Ollie?
  • Supergirl - and Supergirl alone. Alex, John, Brainy (etc) haven't really interacted enough with Ollie to justify them being there.
Maybe a few guest characters too, like Nyssa? One thing that does make me wonder though (and I may be remembering this incorrectly), but isn't Ollie present when Barry disappears (in the future)? I seem to remember him being mentioned, or referenced, alongside Supergirl? If that is indeed the case, then either Barry is going to disappear earlier than expected, or the timeline is going to change. That, or we're all wrong, and Ollie isn't going to die just yet.
Slade could show up at the funeral but keep his distance from the crowd; I feel like that would be in character for him, after his S5-S6 appearances.

I agree Ralph doesn't need to be there, but I think Harry and Oliver interacted enough that it would make sense for him to be there. Caitlin would probably be there just because they have a history of making Team Flash more connected to TA than we actually see (i.e. Caitlin saying "we loved her" after Laurel died even though I don't think they ever interacted at all).

But I agree no one from Supergirl needs to be there other than Kara. Nyssa definitely should be present, I agree. And if they're ever going to bring Thea and Roy back in the present, that would be the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"