Avengers vs. X-Men: 2012 Event - Part 3

characterization goes completely out the window during these big events.

Sonofabiscuit. I haven't really touched X-Factor since Schism. I should've known it was only a matter of time before Lorna went nuts again.
Well she found it a pretty big revelation
She killed her mother and stepfather when her poweres manifested as a child

so have sooo many other mutants though. What is her real reason for being off kilter

and if the spoiler/rumor is true then yes..that IS a great thing to come out of this...though it will feel contrived and forced and seemingly left of center as this series went way off track.

Last edited:
So many things to say about this story.
I liked that the mutants came back, but seriously? "No More Phoenix"? Isn't the Phoenix necessary for cosmic harmony? It burns away what doesn't work to make build something new. And what does that mean for current-day Jean? Is she just erased? Is there still the White Hot Room? And I'm sorry for all Thor fans. I didn't see a single panel in this where we wasn't getting his ass handed to him. I don't even really know the character but I would think the God of Thunder could at least hold his own against one Phoenix, let alone 1/5. And I like that the remaining Phoenix Four are considered fugitives, but why the hell is Magneto's face on a wanted poster?? And if Wolverine is seriously gonna give Xavier's eulogy I think I'm gonna scream.

"No More Crossover Events", Marvel. And "No More Heroes VS Heroes".

Thor's repeated ass-kickings don't sting quite as bad since both Hulks get tossed around just as easily. I especially loved seeing the Hulk's recruitment at the start of #11 treated as a big deal when his sole contribution in #12 turned out to be getting knocked across the world in one punch by Phoenix-Man and then disappearing for the rest of the issue. Thor recovered from his one-punch TKO on that same page, then recovered and made it back in time to help in the final attack. Gotta take those small victories where you can get 'em. ;)

My favorite part of this event is when Cap and Cyclops sit down when all's said and done and both basically go, "Gee, I probably shouldn't have been such a dick at the start of all this, huh?" Moral of the story, kids: don't be a dick. :)

Last edited:
I don't think I saw Havok say a single word to Scott in any of the A vs X comics I read.
So many things to say about this story.
I liked that the mutants came back, but seriously? "No More Phoenix"? Isn't the Phoenix necessary for cosmic harmony? It burns away what doesn't work to make build something new. And what does that mean for current-day Jean? Is she just erased? Is there still the White Hot Room? And I'm sorry for all Thor fans. I didn't see a single panel in this where we wasn't getting his ass handed to him. I don't even really know the character but I would think the God of Thunder could at least hold his own against one Phoenix, let alone 1/5. And I like that the remaining Phoenix Four are considered fugitives, but why the hell is Magneto's face on a wanted poster?? And if Wolverine is seriously gonna give Xavier's eulogy I think I'm gonna scream.

"No More Crossover Events", Marvel. And "No More Heroes VS Heroes".
The Wolverine thing doesn't even surprise me.

I knew the day would come when Marvel pulled an X3 and swept away Cyclops/Xavier so they can replace if him with mr popular Wolverine.

Hope might be might least favourite mutant character from the last ten years.

So without reading the whole mess can I just assume my bendis standard formula for all events happens exactly as it always does?

That being, crazy hero/villain gets superpowerful, heroes assemble, heroes do absolutely nothing useful in terms of actually defeating the villain, one single dues ex machina being takes care of the whole mess while the heroes look on? The end?

Mostly right. It was two deus ex machina beings this time. I'm sure you can guess which.

Mostly right. It was two deus ex machina beings this time. I'm sure you can guess which.

Oh bendis, two of them? You're almost getting to the point where I can't completely predict everything you do from start to finish. Next up you'll be doing something crazy like having heroes winning fights and not repeating themselves (though I doubt it).

Sad thing is what I've read of AvX has me thinking it's almost certainly the best event done by marvel since they abandoned all the space characters.

This whole crap was Captain America and the Avengers faults. If only they had stepped aside and let the Phoenix bond with Hope as it was supposed to, the new mutants would have emerged and all this mess could have been avoided. Of course Cyclops is the scapegoat and goes down taking full responsibility for everything that went wrong

Oh bendis, two of them? You're almost getting to the point where I can't completely predict everything you do from start to finish. Next up you'll be doing something crazy like having heroes winning fights and not repeating themselves (though I doubt it).

Sad thing is what I've read of AvX has me thinking it's almost certainly the best event done by marvel since they abandoned all the space characters.
I still prefer Siege, dumb ending and all.

It was an exciting yet sensible premise and nobody acted like too much of a dope besides Bob himself. Other than the fact that the heroes didn't do s***, it was pretty solid.

I rather enjoyed the event, despite it's many flaws... the Mutie lovers ought to like the final outcome... no matter what the cost... I was never a fan of Scott anyways, and I thought it was in character for him to be a blankety-blank

It was an exciting yet sensible premise and nobody acted like too much of a dope besides Bob himself. Other than the fact that the heroes didn't do s***, it was pretty solid.

Take out the sentry, have a massive throwdown between osborn's forces combined with loki's guys and some evil asgardian types vs the heroes banding together and have the heroes win through their own individual and combined efforts in which every one of them mattered? That would have been cool. Instead bob turned into a crab, beat up everyone then killed himself cause only bob and stop bob.

All of bendis' stories actually have exciting and interesting premises, it's the execution and endings along with gross mischaracterizations that kill his stuff. I really think he's a brilliant idea man just don't let him actually flesh out his own ideas and all those horrible marvel events could have been pretty super.

Hey, remember when Scott had a piece of the Void repressed in the back of his mind and we thought that might go somewhere?

Because Marvel doesn't.

Haha, Havok won his AvX battle vs Captain America :D
It went away the same time the Void did. Or something.
When did that happen, Siege? Was Scott a part of that event? If so, then I stand corrected but as far as I know the Void is still inside his head and nothing has been made of it since he tucked it away

Last edited:
Yeah as far as I knew he still had it.

So are these new mutants the de-powered mutants getting their powers back or are they brand new mutants?

Thank you Marvel for this wonderful event where you thoroughly destroyed what was left of my favorite X-Man. *grumble*

A few things about the last issue:

I'm insanely happy mutant levels are up. I'm ready for a new tone in the X-books, away from the gloom of survival. It was a decent premise for a couple of years that set up some nice sagas, but it went on a little too long. Things are looking up!

Jean. Of course they teased her. But this ending doesn't make sense in the context of her character. It is basically canon that when Jean dies she goes to the white hot room and does phoenix stuff, so why wasn't she in this event at all? And giving Hope the White Hot Phoenix of the Crown outfit was the piece she needed to completely take over Jean's identity.

Captain America is the worst hero ever. He started this entire thing, and is completely arrogant about it. I'm totally on Cyclops' side. He said two things 1. Hope was meant to have the Phoenix 2. She would use it to repower mutants. He was right on both accounts, and he himself was never meant to have the phoenix powers and he knew it. And now Captain America has basically made himself and Wolverine the new mutant leaders. Feels so wrong.

Also, my favourite character is Jean. My second favourite is Cyclops. Should I just quit comics lol?

Last edited:
moraldefeciency said:

You do realize that Bendis is only ONE of the writers responsible for this and that he didn't even write this issue... right? The blame goes to all of them, not just Bendis.

And yeah, I like the result of what's happened but it's minor compared to how horrible the rest of the event was. I can't wait to hear Marvel tell us how amazing it was though and how everyone loved it :)

Haha, Havok won his AvX battle vs Captain America :D

When did that happen, Siege? Was Scott a part of that event? If so, then I stand corrected but as far as I know the Void is still inside his head and nothing has been made of it since he tucked it away
I was just making that up. I don't know what happened with that and, odds are, neither does Marvel. Maybe they'll bring it up whenever they're ready to have Cyclops rejoin the heroes and have his slate wiped clean.

I was just making that up. I don't know what happened with that and, odds are, neither does Marvel. Maybe they'll bring it up whenever they're ready to have Cyclops rejoin the heroes and have his slate wiped clean.
Oh okay. Then UXM 519, serves as the last mention of Scott with the Void as he took it from Emma and placed it in a psychic prison within his head. It never made sense to me why he could contain it with no problem, yet a powerful telepath like Emma couldnt. It would make sense if they blamed his behavior on that by saying it had been corrupting him since. That wouldnt have been too far fetched

A few things about the last issue:

I'm insanely happy mutant levels are up. I'm ready for a new tone in the X-books, away from the gloom of survival. It was a decent premise for a couple of years that set up some nice sagas, but it went on a little too long. Things are looking up!

Jean. Of course they teased her. But this ending doesn't make sense in the context of her character. It is basically canon that when Jean dies she goes to the white hot room and does phoenix stuff, so why wasn't she in this event at all? And giving Hope the White Hot Phoenix of the Crown outfit was the piece she needed to completely take over Jean's identity.

Captain America is the worst hero ever. He started this entire thing, and is completely arrogant about it. I'm totally on Cyclops' side. He said two things 1. Hope was meant to have the Phoenix 2. She would use it to repower mutants. He was right on both accounts, and he himself was never meant to have the phoenix powers and he knew it. And now Captain America has basically made himself and Wolverine the new mutant leaders. Feels so wrong.

Also, my favourite character is Jean. My second favourite is Cyclops. Should I just quit comics lol?
IA with your post. Hated what was done to Scott and Jean. I like that [BLACKOUT]mutants have been restored[/BLACKOUT], but not feeling how it all went down. And Im sorry but Scarlet Witch still idnt redeemed in my eyes. Im glad Hope at least got to call her out and say that what happened to Scott was all her fault for setting this all in motion

Maybe because it's a piece of the Void's mind, it can seize control of mental powers more easily than physical powers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"