Batman Begins v.s The Dark Knight Rises

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Green Goblin, Jul 28, 2013.

?

Which do you like more?

1. Batman Begins

2. The Dark Knight Rises

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shauner111

shauner111 Well-Known Member

You cant keep Bane alive. There's no chance in hell the writers would do that. That guy gets thrown in prison and either one of his mercenaries gets him out or he gets out on his own. Even if he was in pain because of the mask and locked away, you cant have both Bane and Joker out in the world.

I saw the realization on Bane's face that Batman had won, when Batman was staring at him and Bane asks "I broke you, how have you come back?". That was enough for me.

He got the death he deserved in my opinion. Blown down the hallway with a hole in his chest.

2. Schrute

Schrute Well-Known Member

Ehhh if the writers let the Joker live after showing us he could break out of the GCPD, they could let Bane live. If Joker never broke out and was never heard from again, a man who holds a city hostage with a nuke (even though this is a fictional universe) wouldn't be put into just some prison where he could easily escape I assume.

Though, we know the real reason why Joker wasn't heard from again unfortunately.

3. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I think a lot of people wanted Bane to die a noble death, like killing himself after being defeated by Batman or something. But the whole point was to NOT give him that noble death. That was part of the mission at that point anyway, to die in "the fire". Letting him die on his own terms would be something of a victory for him.

Instead he and Talia both die in very unflattering, inglorious ways, unaware that their ultimate mission will fail. Poetic justice.

4. BatmanBeyond

BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

Yep. :up:

What's so odd about Catwoman teasing Batman in a humorous way? It's her MO essentially. :oldrazz:

I thought that moment was pure Catwoman snark, very fitting for her character. Although the line did take me out of the scene a little bit on subsequent viewings. But I digress.

How very inspiring.

5. Schrute

That's what I mean, the execution just seemed odd to me. Maybe because everything was so intense from the battle to Talia's reveal then came Bane's death then a one-liner? Just always takes me out of the scene for some odd reason.

The final chase scene has grown on me immensely though I will say

6. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Bane's death was embarrassingly bad. So was Talia's.

Before TDKR the villains all had good exits. Ra's serenely closing his eyes before the train crashes. Joker's awesome monologue hanging upside down, then laughing his head off at Batman when he reveals what he did to Dent. Batman's surprise tackle of Dent in those tense final moments where he's tossing the coin to decide Gordon's son's fate.

7. BatLobsterRises

Bane's death reminded me of Dent's actually, with how sudden and disorienting it was, and right as they were both about to kill someone (or 50% of the way there :oldrazz:).

8. Green Goblin

Except with Bane it was very anti-climatic are far less emotional.

9. shauner111

I can say the same about Bane. He had an AWESOME line right before he got blown away by a canon. Pretty epic death if you ask me.

10. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Not to mention the movie didn't just move swiftly on and seemingly forget that Dent just died. There was the whole emotional ending with Batman and Gordon standing over their fallen White Knight's body.

11. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I think I have had this discussion before, but I thought it was great. It was funny, satisfying and worked. No one complains when the male hero gets to say something "funny" as he defeats the villain ("I won't kill you--but I don't have to save you"/"No...but I know how you got THESE!"/"Taste of your own medicine, Doctor"/"Get away from her you *****!").

I feel like for many, not saying you, have more of an issue with Catwoman or a female in general being the one to do it. Just my perspective on the issue.

12. BatLobsterRises

Should it have even been emotional? The characters are apples and oranges, it's simply the way the death scenes were shot and executed that were similar to me. Dent was a tragic figure who we saw as a hero for 2/3 of the movie. His death has huge ramifications for Gotham and Batman.

Bane was a straight up monster. His death was purely a good thing and a welcome relief after 2 1/2 hours of him dominating everything. Hence Catwoman gets her one liner. The truly cathartic moment is when Batman defeats him.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  13. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

That's how I see it. I totally understand why some felt it was anti-climatic but for me it was more of a "**** yeah! serves him right!" moment.

Back when the promo pics of Catwoman with a gun came out and people were guessing that she will kill Bane, I remember absolutely hating the idea. But after seeing the movie and seeing that Bruce/Batman already defeated Bane before that anyway, I was completely fine with it. Also, as discussed above, I thought it was a fitting death for Bane. A quick and humiliating death for someone with a massive ego.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  14. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

Ultimately, imo, Nolan made the right call in terms of Selina doing it even if I felt the death was kinda meh. Much like the reaction to
    Superman killing Zod in MOS
    , I think there may have been a bit of a fan backlash to Bruce killing Bane.

15. Green Goblin

The twist added a layer of humanity to Bane. He was not just a terrorist but someone who acted as a guardian to a woman since she was a young child.

Back on to his death- TDKR established Bane as Batman's toughest foe. In my opinion he should have had a death scene/end scene as epic as the ones in BB and TDK.

I would have forgiven it had Talia's death scene not been done with laughably bad acting.

16. shauner111

Don't blame Marion for that please. Every actor has been through moments like this, when there's multiple takes for a shot. It was up to Nolan to choose which take was the best. I don't know why he chose that one, but honestly it's not even bad acting. The only thing that's overdone was the head movement at the end. Seriously now. I always thought her shaking in shock, was good acting, it was just the eye closing/head tilt. Even so, it's not as bad as people like to claim. Obviously people don't watch enough movies because there's far worse death scenes out there.

17. BatLobsterRises

And the twist WAS his epic moment. Neither Ra's, Dent or Joker got emotional flashback scenes during their final moments of the movie that showed another layer of their character. That scene was very emotional IMO. Sure, people made fun of Bane rolling a tear but I thought it was great and done tastefully.

18. Green Goblin

Which is why the death he got didn't fit.

We had just seen a more human side to Bane, he was not the monster we initially thought yet his death was played for laughs.

19. BatLobsterRises

He still WAS a monster though. It's not like suddenly he's some tragic character we should feel sorry for. He just had an extra dimension to him, but that was far in the past. The Bane we saw throughout TDKR was a fully formed monster who was doing horrible, horrible things in service of his own twisted "noble" intentions.

20. BatmanBeyond

BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

Don't forget the ridiculous over the top evil smirk. :oldrazz: That's the thing that bugs me the most about the take. Nolan does have a 'knack' for peculiar choices, such as the Talia death scene take.

True. But does that really excuse him for all the horrible **** we see him doing throughout TDKR? I think not. The 'poetic justice' people have been referring to concerning the manner of his death is still valid.

21. Schrute

Or they have watched enough to know that her death scene was particularly bad/comical :oldrazz:

22. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Oh wow, didn't know the poll was tied.

Thread bump, FTW!

23. Human Torch

Human Torch Well-Known Member

QFT :up:

24. shauner111

Batman killed Two-Face in the same abrupt way that Catwoman killed Bane. Dent was about to kill Gordons son, Bane was about to shoot Batmans head off, both were interrupted.

I dont see the difference. I've heard just as many people complain about Harveys death. I enjoyed both. And i always go back to "well, what would you have done differently for Bane's demise?" and i never get a straight answer. Quite frankly, i didnt think there was anything else to do with that character.

25. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

QFT, but the big exception is Scarecrow. I didn't like the way he was taken out in BB. It felt like Nolan and Goyer didn't know how to write him out of the story and decided to half-ass it. That's my biggest issue with the character in that movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.