BvS Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - Part 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you did there, Hot Toys.

kDHD9EJ.png

This is actually perfect.

^ Batfleck, I think is the scariest looking Batman there.
D5Xnpnk.jpg

I think Keaton is terrifying in his own right.
SPK0lNZ.png

Of course, I'll have to see Batfleck in motion to see if his other scenes are just as imposing.

But yeah, Batfleck looks like a straight up MONSTER in that shot.

But at this point, I'm practically ready to say that Ben is Bruce Wayne. I think the combination of his underrated acting ability with his existing Bruce Wayne qualities will make him the best Bruce we've seen so far.

I have a feeling they've been "hiding" his Batman for the actual movie itself. Like they know his Batman will cause jaws to drop and want to save it for the movie. There's only been one instance of brief fighting with regular thugs, and no dark sequences of Batman intimidating people who aren't Superman. Yes, I know he brands them, but there hasn't been a scene of him talking creepy to a regular thug released yet.

I think the combination of Watchmen and existing BvS footage has me pretty much not concerned for Batman :)

Agreed. Like you said, there's still a lot we've yet to see of his take on Batman. I have to say, though, what little was shown of his performance so far, particularly during the standoff with Superman in Gotham City, has impressed me to an extent. I enjoyed his subtle mannerisms, e.g., how he lowers his head ever so slightly before delivering the now-famous 'bleed' catchphrase.

I also think Ben is aware of his strong resemblance to Bruce Wayne and is using that to his advantage. I could be wrong, but that's just the sense I get when I see how he manages to convey rage through his eyes, and yes, even with the gnashing of his teeth. Like Cavill, he appears to have based his portrayal mostly on the source material, as opposed to any previous iteration on film; and it seems to be paying off.

I was behind Affleck's casting from the start. As soon as I heard he had won the role, it was like a Eureka moment in my head - all those Batman comics with a traditionally handsome Bruce Wayne from the 40s onward, especially with that strong jawline and chin, the dark wavy hair, the height and noticeably broad build in the shoulders, and so on - Affleck is all that, personified. It was strange as he's never someone who would have been on my radar in terms of casting for a Batman role.

Fingers crossed now that he can impress everyone with his portrayal of the dual roles in this film.

That's a great collage. There were some pretty great shots in that CW special regarding BvS. Why was Snyder hiding those from us? Haha.

Maybe to lull the naysayers into a false sense of security, knowing the best is yet to come.

In hindsight Ben Affleck was the right choice
I might have just lost all hope for the film if Josh Brolin got cast

In hindsight Ben Affleck was the right choice
I might have just lost all hope for the film if Josh Brolin got cast

Yeah, that would have killed it for me too. I like Brolin a lot as an actor, but he felt SO wrong for Batman to me that I was jumping for joy when it didn't happen. He's much better suited to Thanos.

LOL, anybody remember when El Mayimbe was claiming that WB was "definitely" going to cast Brolin because they were SOOOOOO impressed by the hallway fight in the Oldboy remake? What an idiot.

Yeah, if it was being released in February, I'm not going to lie... I'd be genuinely worried about it. But the end of March is good.

I can actually see Brolin as Miller's brutish, disheveled Batman. Even though a lot of folks, including the producers themselves, consider BatFleck to be the living embodiment of said version, I slightly disagree. While the costume is, in some respects, conceptually owed to Miller's DKR Batman, I think it reflects more of an amalgamation between various comic book influences, including David Finch's Batman: The Return #1 as well as Jim Lee's Hush and All Star Batman & Robin: The Boy Wonder. It may even be from the latter that Batfleck's 'scruffy' look derives.

I also think that both Finch and Lee have a cleaner style of drawing, whereas Miller's pencils are kind of on the sloppy and rushed side. His Batman looks like a mess of a man in certain panels. And again, I can see Brolin better conforming to that depiction. However, it's not my preference, which is why I'm glad Snyder and WB went with Affleck.

I think I like the Batfleck amalgamation best of anything I have seen to date at least in film (and it's only from trailers, granted, but still). I will reassert my hunch that in writing The Batman Geoff Johns and Ben Affleck will draw from Batman: Earth One as a major primary source material. This is ultimately an original iteration, and an amalgam; but I think the two strongest inspirations will be (at least for BvS) Miller's TDKR (for current Batman) and Johns' BEO (for his origin). Maybe by the time The Batman rolls around they will pick up some of the threads from BEO and begin working those more. But anyway, that's ultimately just a guess obviously.

I can actually see Brolin as Miller's brutish, disheveled Batman. Even though a lot of folks, including the producers themselves, consider BatFleck to be the living embodiment of said version, I slightly disagree. While the costume is, in some respects, conceptually owed to Miller's DKR Batman, I think it reflects more of an amalgamation between various comic book influences, including David Finch's Batman: The Return #1 as well as Jim Lee's Hush and All Star Batman & Robin: The Boy Wonder. It may even be from the latter that Batfleck's 'scruffy' look derives.

I also think that both Finch and Lee have a cleaner style of drawing, whereas Miller's pencils are kind of on the sloppy and rushed side. His Batman looks like a mess of a man in certain panels. And again, I can see Brolin better conforming to that depiction. However, it's not my preference, which is why I'm glad Snyder and WB went with Affleck.

Yeah, if they were actually doing a straight-up adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns then maybe I could have been on board with Brolin. But as a MOS sequel/JL prelude/Batman franchise starter, he just felt too old to me. And I know he's not really that much older than Affleck, but he LOOKS older.

Yeah, if they were actually doing a straight-up adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns then maybe I could have been on board with Brolin. But as a MOS sequel/JL prelude/Batman franchise starter, he just felt too old to me. And I know he's not really that much older than Affleck, but he LOOKS older.

Yeah, and I have even more trouble seeing him as Bruce Wayne.

I can look at these new pics over and over

I think Brolin would look far too believable as Batman for me. By that I mean, if I were looking at him in his regular persona, it'd still be hard for me to imagine him NOT beating up criminals at night.

MoZf8sY.jpg

Whereas Affleck has kind of an unassuming look to him.
2v_Ohbu0.png

Plus, I think Affleck's more of a fanboy, so I think that will carry over into his performance a bit (Bale read comics for Begins, and I think that's part of the reason his performance as Batman was the best in the trilogy)

Last edited:
I was behind Affleck's casting from the start. As soon as I heard he had won the role, it was like a Eureka moment in my head - all those Batman comics with a traditionally handsome Bruce Wayne from the 40s onward, especially with that strong jawline and chin, the dark wavy hair, the height and noticeably broad build in the shoulders, and so on - Affleck is all that, personified. It was strange as he's never someone who would have been on my radar in terms of casting for a Batman role.

Fingers crossed now that he can impress everyone with his portrayal of the dual roles in this film.

I had the same experience. I was shocked for a moment, because he wasn't someone I had considered, then I immediately thought of The Town and I've been on the Fleck train ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"