BvS Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - Part 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a fan for over 30 years and I've always thought the no killing rule was dumb. Luke Skywalker kills, Captain Picard kills, Iron Man kills, and so do all other heroes. Batman killed while saving innocents and he was 100% justified, just as Superman was 100% justified in MOS.

This is the absolute best incarnation of Batman we've seen, it puts the Nolan Batman to shame, and I'm incredibly excited for the solo movie.
And that's why it's wrong. You're basically asking Batman to be like every other hero that you just listed. The idea is that Batman is unique, he is his own character, and it's why he stands out among many. Not just because he's a man who dresses like a bat. That's a pretty good reason right there. But because of who he is. His moral code is everything. Batman can kill if it's to save a life. When he starts killing because he's lazy, wants his job to be easier, or flat-out enjoys the act of killing a criminal...it becomes a problem. He starts to become less unique, mentally weaker than previous versions because the whole reason for Batman's existence is to make sure innocent people (or anyone in general) don't go through the same **** he went through. Which was losing his parents from a random criminal who shot them out of panic, for money, jewelry, fun, whatever the case may be. They died from bullets, he became an orphan. To have Batman kill for enjoyment or laziness or strictly vengeance (which is to make yourself feel better)...it throws that all away. Then you start running into plotholes, things like that, because you start asking questions of why this villain wasn't killed yet this one was even though the Joker for instance is more evil. On and on.

Just because Affleck's Batman is great aesthetically, doesn't mean he puts Nolans to shame. You're ignoring characterization.

Ben Affleck is directing Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"