BvS Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - Part 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you feel about him portraying playboy Bruce at "full tilt?" I recall some Hypesters hoping that, as an older incarnation of the character, he'd moved away from or refined that persona.

Yeah, it might be a bit worn out by now. But I think it fits in with the degradation of a sense of purpose that he has experienced by his mid 40s.

How do you feel about him portraying playboy Bruce at "full tilt?" I recall some Hypesters hoping that, as an older incarnation of the character, he'd moved away from or refined that persona.

It wasn't what I was expecting, but I love the idea that he uses his status to fill the void that being The Batman has created. Does anybody know if there's any precedent for that kind of portrayal? I honestly can't think of any.

I'm a little disappointed but what he's said, that it's almost meant to fill a void, and not just be some act he's got to put on to make sure no one suspects him of being a secret crime fighting vigilante; that there will be true emotion to it interests me.

Plus this Batman driven by frustration and anger rather than just justice is also intriguing.

I'm a little disappointed but what he's said, that it's almost meant to fill a void, and not just be some act he's got to put on to make sure no one suspects him of being a secret crime fighting vigilante; that there will be true emotion to it interests me.

Plus this Batman driven by frustration and anger rather than just justice is also intriguing.

That's what I find so intriguing about it. It's not merely a ruse, nor is he having the time of his life: he's a tragic character and it's his way of numbing himself.

Yeah, it might be a bit worn out by now. But I think it fits in with the degradation of a sense of purpose that he has experienced by his mid 40s.

I think so as well, and I have to admit it's a side of the character I've been looking forward to seeing personified in Affleck's performance. We've already witnessed a glimpse of his 'serious Bruce Wayne', and that was the persona I initially had misgivings about; I wasn't sure if he possessed the necessary gravitas to pull that off. Having seen the trailers, though, I must say he put my fears to rest. Getting back to playboy Bruce, I would think a part like that comes easier to Ben, as it allows for him to take advantage of his own jovial and likable traits were he looking to inject them into the role.

Yes, I liked that as well. It sounds like we'll be seeing a different, yet very familiar, approach to his damaged psyche. Perhaps this Bruce Wayne did, at some point, manage to transcend the dark pull at the center of his life -- that is, up until a certain Joker came along to remind him there's no escaping tragedy when you're Batman. In addition, it presents a more grounded and accurate take on the gamut of human development, one filled with obvious troughs and peaks.

Yes, I liked that as well. It sounds like we'll be seeing a different, yet very familiar, approach to his damaged psyche. Perhaps this Bruce Wayne did, at some point, manage to transcend the dark pull at the center of his life -- that is, up until a certain Joker came along to remind him there's no escaping tragedy when you're Batman. In addition, it presents a more grounded and accurate take on the gamut of human development, one filled with obvious troughs and peaks.

Yes.

Whatever history Bruce Wayne has had with those 20 years he's been operating in Gotham will have him deal with some genuine pathos and I'm looking forward to seeing how Affleck injects those pathos into the role.

Yes.

Whatever history Bruce Wayne has had with those 20 years he's been operating in Gotham will have him deal with some genuine pathos and I'm looking forward to seeing how Affleck injects those pathos into the role.

Indeed. Perhaps -- and I'm just speculating -- there will be flashbacks to an earlier, happier time in Batman's life. As hinted above with my reference to Joker, I think the "death of Robin" may be used as a vehicle to explore all that.

On a related note, now that we have confirmation of the playboy persona, I find myself even more curious about the exchange we see take place between Bruce and Clark in the trailer. It's interesting that Bruce would allow an outsider to see that more serious side of him in public.

Indeed. Perhaps -- and I'm just speculating -- there will be flashbacks to an earlier, happier time in Batman's life. As hinted above with my reference to Joker, I think the "death of Robin" may be used as a vehicle to explore all that.

On a related note, now that we have confirmation of the playboy persona, I find myself even more curious about the exchange we see take place between Bruce and Clark in the trailer. It's interesting that Bruce would allow an outsider to see that more serious side of him in public.

I don't think this new info implies he's not publicly "serious", though . It hints that the excessive lifestyle is not to throw people off of the scent ala Bale's Bruce, but rather serves as a means to escape his pain. It seems like this Bruce Wayne is a man on the edge.

I don't think this new info implies he's not publicly "serious", though . It hints that the excessive lifestyle is not to throw people off of the scent ala Bale's Bruce, but rather serves as a means to escape his pain. It seems like this Bruce Wayne is a man on the edge.

That's a good point.

Hmm. I just noticed that we got two very similar confirmations yesterday. In the HC thread, Jokes recently posted an excerpt from an article where Cavill reveals he played Clark Kent more like a 'delicate' introvert (as many of us had been speculating) than a bumbling idiot; and here we have an interview with Affleck discussing his 'full tilt' take on the playboy Bruce persona.

More of the interview, courtesy of Batman-News

SCL: What do you think of the two suits you get to wear in the movie?

BA: I really like their design. They’re faithful to Frank Miller’s vision in The Dark Knight Returns comic. In fact the movie borrows a lot from that comic, as noted by our use of the massive and very symbolic battle armor. They’re pretty heavy and cumbersome in the end. The challenge was to create fight scenes where I could move with ease, which is tough. The suits have to look cool and be functional at the same time. One thing that couldn’t be done before but is finally possible now is to wear the suit without the arms. They put motion sensors on my arms to recreate the rest of the suit in post production. And that allowed me to move my arms freely without looking like a robot during fight scenes. I think it was the first time an actor could have all that flexibility and move his head in a Batsuit!

SCL: What was the biggest challenge for you personally on this film?

BA: That filming took so long – 140 days – and that everything was so compartmentalized, fragmented. It was tough to recall where a particular scene fit in the overall story, or to understand those moments that were stuck between SFX heavy shots which would be completed in post. I’m not used to that type of filmmaking, I can’t switch to cruise control, I have to restart the engine every time. For instance today I’ll only be filming shots of about ten seconds or so, which will then be edited to build an entire scene. I’m more used to shooting a whole scene in order to try different things. This time around it’s very technical, and you don’t really have much freedom amid all those visual effects.

SCL: Why is Luthor the right villain for this film?

BA: Between the character that was written by Chris Terrio and Jesse Eisenberg’s portrayal, it’s the meeting of two great minds, on the same wavelength. Luthor is, for me, the most interesting character in the film. He’s radically different from what we’ve seen so far. He’s grounded in reality, and he’s extraordinary. This type of film is only as good as its villain. That’s why The Dark Knight was so brilliant, because of Heath Ledger’s Joker. Jesse improves the film with each scene he’s in. He’s not your usual one-dimensional villain, there’s a whole psychology behind him.

SCL: Does Batman v Superman speak about the current world?

BA: I don’t think this film has any sort of lesson, but it’s more than just entertainment, it’s also trying to show that there are real consequences to violence. When a building collapses, people die, and those are lives lost forever. This film also shows that fear is the enemy of us all. Fear brings out the worst in us. When we fear powerful people because we think they might destroy us, we tend to use that to justify any decision we might be tempted to make. There are some parallels with preemptive strikes, and things like that. It allows us to analyze how we think about what we do, when facing a threat. That’s very relevant to what’s going on in the world right now. The film tackles pertinent themes.

SCL: in conclusion, in a fight between Superman and Batman, who wins?

BA: Well… When you see the film, you’ll realize it’s more complicated than that! There’s no real winner. I like the idea that Truth is the winner.

Interesting! Do you mean the movie (which I haven't seen) or the actual Tarot card reversed?

Movie. (I havent seen eighter and it will be released in march 2016 in US) Former Bruce Wayne plays a succesful rich guy who feels empty & meaningless inside and lives party life (lots of women etc.) to endure to pain he feels.

Right now you have guys in the industry in their late 30s and 40s that still give off the playboy "chilling on my yacht, banging a different chick every night" vibe, so it's not really farfetched.

Right now you have guys in the industry in their late 30s and 40s that still give off the playboy "chilling on my yacht, banging a different chick every night" vibe, so it's not really farfetched.

What's interesting for me is it's not a fake persona like Bale's Wayne. Alfred was right in Batman Begins, Wayne started to enjoy that life finally.

W91Ugw.gif

What's interesting for me is it's not a fake persona like Bale's Wayne. Alfred was right in Batman Begins, Wayne started to enjoy that life finally.

W91Ugw.gif

I don't think he's necessarily enjoying it, though, any more than a heroin junkie enjoys their life.

Loved loved loved Affleck's interview. This Batman sounds even MORE grounded than before, the talks about filling the void amd bekng frustrated are great displays of humanity.

Now I'm even more pumped up for his portrayal of Bruce. He must have seen so much ***** in over two decades as Batman, it makes so much sense that he needs something to numb the emotional pain. Furthermore, him not being exclusively driven by his sense of justice but also by anger and frustration is so wonderfully grounded. He's in a dark place and will hopefully join Superman in the sun in the end.

W91Ugw.gif

It's like method acting. If you go too far in your efforts to perfectly embody a role, it can change you. With the Batman disguise, we've already seen such an alteration take place in Bruce. It makes sense that if he never found true happiness and continued going about his playboy charade, that it too would eventually evolve (or devolve, depending on how you look at it) into something more natural and complex.

I don't think he's necessarily enjoying it, though, any more than a heroin junkie enjoys their life.

Yes, for Bruce, his lifestyle isn't what you would call fulfilling -- at least not in the healthy sense. However, to say that he doesn't derive pleasure from it to some extent would be erroneous. Peak and mental conditioning aside, he's still just a man.

^ Also, CGI Batclothes. It seems that Batfleck will try to do at least some of the fighting, though the scenes in the trailer seem to be off StuntMan.

It's like method acting. If you go too far in your efforts to perfectly embody a role, it can change you. With the Batman disguise, we've already seen such an alteration take place in Bruce. It makes sense that if he never found true happiness and continued going about his playboy charade, that it too would eventually evolve (or devolve, depending on how you look at it) into something more natural and complex.

Yes, for Bruce, his lifestyle isn't what you would call fulfilling -- at least not in the healthy sense. However, to say that he doesn't derive pleasure from it to some extent would be erroneous. Peak and mental conditioning aside, he's still just a man.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying it's not like he's living it up and having the time of his life. Rather than his debauchery being a façade for the public, it's a façade for himself.

CWd5AurWcAAt8qD.png

I'm falling back in love with the film again. I absolutely adore what Ben's saying about his portrayal of Bruce. That's been my dream interpretation from the get-go.

Keaton had a practically non-existent public life
Clooney was public, but lacked the pathos
Bale's was similar to Keaton, and his public persona was played purely for laughs

Oddly enough I think Kilmer probably came the closest to how I'd imagine Bruce to be outside the suit. Ben looks to be the type that is constantly trying to fill in the empty hole in his life, with the luxuries his wealth provides. At best having short stints of pleasure/happiness but never feeling truly fulfilled.

More and more I'm glad they went this post-peak route rather than starting from scratch all over again.

Nice. Not a big fan of billionaire playboy aspect, I kinda hoped they won't go there this time around, but I do like what Affleck said on playing Batman.

^ Also, CGI Batclothes. It seems that Batfleck will try to do at least some of the fighting, though the scenes in the trailer seem to be off StuntMan.

He was talking about mech-suit. I'm surprised that not entire suit is CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"