C. Nolan's Interstellar - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was only 3 people, 4 counting Caine and once again they're high quality actors

My opinion is it's ok if the director brings out the best in the actor which is why I'm fine with him re-using Hathaway and I'm not as keen as the others with him using JGL again (IMO his work with Nolan were inferior compared to his other non-Nolan works). If it's not even the actor's best work then I'd rather see the actor work with another director and see something different. Also, it helps if the character the actor is playing is vastly different from the previous characters they've played in the director's movies.

Didn't Morgan Freeman say at one of TDKR premieres that he was going to be working with Nolan again?

Hell, he doesn't even have to be in the movie, just narrate it. Actually, have McConnaghey's inner monologue be voiced by Freeman.

[McConnaghey stands with his shirt off. Morgan Freeman enters. McConnaghey points at his own torso.]

McConnaghey: Beautiful, ain't it?
Freeman: Beautiful, unethical, dangerous. As long as your shirt is off in this space craft, I won't be here.

And such will be his struggle throughout the film. For you see, he just wants to be seen as the eloquent black man he knows he is, deep inside.

Sounds like a classic Nolan psychological thriller to me

I'm envision the poster now, mathew mconnaghay looking into a mirror, Morgan freeman staring back. The tag line reads: in space...he found himself.

I just think he is being loyal to his actors, if there is a part in the film that fits the actor he will offer it to them first and they never say no (except Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano).

pearce declinded a part ?

i only know that pantoliano said no to the role of flass in BB

Nolan talked with Pearce about the Ra's Al Ghul role. There was a time when Nolan wanted Ra's and Bruce to be at around the same age.

Didn't Viggo, DDL, Evan Rachel Wood, and Damon also decline Nolan (I think Franco was a scheduling conflict so that doesn't sound like a turn down)?

Nolan talked with Pearce about the Ra's Al Ghul role. There was a time when Nolan wanted Ra's and Bruce to be at around the same age.

Didn't Viggo, DDL, Evan Rachel Wood, and Damon also decline Nolan (I think Franco was a scheduling conflict so that doesn't sound like a turn down)?
Yeah I think so, sorry I was supposed to mean actors he already worked with turning down roles from him.

My opinion is it's ok if the director brings out the best in the actor which is why I'm fine with him re-using Hathaway and I'm not as keen as the others with him using JGL again (IMO his work with Nolan were inferior compared to his other non-Nolan works). If it's not even the actor's best work then I'd rather see the actor work with another director and see something different. Also, it helps if the character the actor is playing is vastly different from the previous characters they've played in the director's movies.

I disagree that his work hasn't been good in Nolan films. Inception wasn't a character piece, it was a heist movie so nobody was deserving of awards attention for that film no matter how much the fanboys tried to pretend Leo or Marion were. Inception is my favorite film of Nolan's but it is a story based film full of thinish characters.

The Dark Knight Rises is an okayish movie features good performances all around. I really liked Hathaway, JGL, Hardy(minus the voice) and Bale's (minus the awful Batman voice) performances in the film. Their performances carry a lack luster film. I really enjoyed JGL's performance. Yes he was playing a straight arrow but I don't think an actor has to act wacky to give a fine performance.

If I applied your mode of thinking of my own then I'd want Bale to stop working with Nolan because I felt that his performances in BB and TDK were nothing to write home about. The only actor to do some of their best work in a Nolan movie is Heath Ledger IMHO. His actors do very good work but their best work as actors? Rarely.

Last edited:

That was at a (now seemingly distant) time when actors like Guy Pearce thought comic book films were a silly fad impending death, shortly. Now that comic book films have proven to have a bit more staying (and box office) power than expected (of which our Nolan had more than a hand in), he without hesitation takes a role in Shane Black's Iron Man 3 when it would've been far more of a shock had he taken it back in the now mythical times of 2005.

I disagree that his work hasn't been good in Nolan films. Inception wasn't a character piece, it was a heist movie so nobody was deserving of awards attention for that film no matter how much the fanboys tried to pretend Leo or Marion were. Inception is my favorite film of Nolan's but it is a story based film full of thinish characters.

The Dark Knight Rises is an okayish movie features good performances all around. I really liked Hathaway, JGL, Hardy(minus the voice) and Bale's (minus the awful Batman voice) performance in the film. Their performances carry a lack luster film. I really enjoyed JGL's performance. Yes he was playing a straight arrow but I don't think an actor has to act wacky to give a fine performance.

We can agree to disagree. I understand that JGL's roles in Nolan's movies doesn't exactly call for too much acting but then so are Cotillard's, Murphy's and Hardy's roles and yet I found them all superior to JGL.

If I applied your mode of thinking of my own then I'd want Bale to stop working with Nolan. because I felt that his performances in BB and TDK were nothing to write home about. The. only actor to do some of their best work in a Nolan movie is Heath Ledger IMHO. ThHis actors do very good work but their best work? rarely.

That's actually the reason why I'm ok if Bale and Nolan never work together again (and I say this as a fan of both). :ninja: Granted, Bale was excellent in The Prestige for me (and I loved him in the trilogy) but I feel like there's more to him that another director could tap into (like David O. Russell did). And, there's most likely another actor that Nolan could bring the best out of.

I definitely agree with you though that there's really no one that gave a career best (outside of Ledger and arguably Hathaway).

JGL's roles have essentially been lifeless empty suits. There's being the straight man and then there's being what basically amounts to a character prop. JGL's roles have unfortunately been the latter in Nolan films thus far.

pearce declinded a part ?

i only know that pantoliano said no to the role of flass in BB

I didn't know that. Joey Pants would have made an awesome Flass.

I understand that JGL's roles in Nolan's movies doesn't exactly call for too much acting but then so are Cotillard's, Murphy's and Hardy's roles and yet I found them all superior to JGL.
Marion, Murphy and Hardy didn't play goody goodys. Hardy had about as much a character in Inception as JGL did, yet he crafted a far more appealing cardboard cutout.

Didn't Anthony Hopkins also turn down the role of Alfred Pennyworth... claiming he had no interest in comic book movies?

JGL's roles have essentially been lifeless empty suits. There's being the straight man and then there's being what basically amounts to a character prop. JGL's roles have unfortunately been the latter in Nolan films thus far.
Absolutely. Wanna know who plays a compelling straight man? Oldman as Gordon in The Dark Knight.

Marion gave the least interesting performance in TDKR.

Eh, I guess it is an agree to disagree thing.

Didn't Anthony Hopkins also turn down the role of Alfred Pennyworth... claiming he had no interest in comic book movies?

I think so. And wasn't Dennis Quaid also offered something?

Although, as pointed out, this was during the time when comic book movies still have a stigma.

I think so. And wasn't Dennis Quaid also offered something?

Although, as pointed out, this was during the time when comic book movies still have a stigma.

I can't believe any actor would be so narrow minded at any point with comic book movies. If...

Marlon Brando
Gene Hackman
Jack Nicholson
Patrick Stewart
Ian Mc Kellan

...can all appear in a comic book movie, it seems silly that an actor would be so resistant in 2003/2004.

It's not about genre... it's about good movies and bad movies and sometimes you have to take the risk.

Oh well, at least Michael Caine was willing to take the risk.

Just be happy that comic book movies have come to a point where Robert f****** Redford is willing to participate in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"