The Mandalorian Chapter Ten Spoiler Discussion

It does not take overthinking it to see that. Causally ending an entire genealogy should not be for laughs, even in Star Wars. But even beyond that, baby Yoda eating an egg every other scene did get old.

It does not take overthinking it to see that. Causally ending an entire genealogy should not be for laughs, even in Star Wars. But even beyond that, baby Yoda eating an egg every other scene did get old.

Well these eggs were very precious to her, and she's desperately trying to get to her new home which is the last hospitable place for her species. That means the Frog Lady's race is endangered. And they are not just a sentient species, but they appear to be a very gentle, harmless and peaceful species. And then The Child is just happily eating them as a gag and KEEPS eating them.

Ok so the Sith Lord baby, and homicide comments are a little over reaching considering most of us eat chicken eggs which are basically the same thing as what she was carrying, right until her plea with the translator. Difference is she's a sentient being. Though in Star Wars everything seems to eat everything else at times.

True she did seek refuge and look for a sub-light speed transport to save what remains of her potential offspring. After her speech though I can see Baby Yoda going after them, but not succeeding, except the first one. Kids put stuff in their mouths all the time and try to sneak food, but they should've had Mando stop him.

This is when the fan base takes the Star Wars universe a little too seriously. Especially concerning an innocent Yoda baby. He doesn’t know any better.

Ewoks also almost cooked and ate our heroes.
Yeah, I've been really surprised and slightly confused by all of the moral furor caused by what essentially amounts to a toddler shoving things in its mouth. Unfertilized eggs are a lot less shocking than the heroes of ROTJ almost becoming dinner for a bunch of teddy bears.

Not even close to the same thing. One is someone pleasuring themselves, the other is the end of a lineage.

Yeah, I've been really surprised and slightly confused by all of the moral furor caused by what essentially amounts to a toddler shoving things in its mouth. Unfertilized eggs are a lot less shocking than the heroes of ROTJ almost becoming dinner for a bunch of teddy bears.

We knew they weren't going to die. That's a false association.

I do think it's still funny with a dark undertone. They're unfertilised, so it's not like him eating a sentient being. More like eating a placenta. The implications aren't really immediate as they'll only be fertilised once she delivers them to her mate.

Calling him a baby Sith Lord is kinda funny though.

Yeah I found it funny myself and I especially laughed at the last one at the end.

This is when the fan base takes the Star Wars universe a little too seriously. Especially concerning an innocent Yoda baby. He doesn’t know any better.

Ewoks also almost cooked and ate our heroes.

False equivalence.

I think the fanbase taking things too far is sending death threats to actors because they didn't like their characters or sending them bullying, harassing messages. This is harmless discussion :D

I think a big reason we are seeing a lot of focus on this BabyYo/egg thing is... What else did the episode give us really?

What? How was anything moved forward in terms of plot, characters or themes?

They gambled that that puppets antics are enough.

It just isn't for me.

At best we got the tiniest of peeks into the New Republic five years post Endor and we found out Mando's mission to the New Republic prison ship last season is unlikely to come and bite him on the ass.

Okay.

Also on another note...

Mando tells the two X-Wing pilots "May the Force be with you."

Odd.

He seemed to have no idea about who the Jedi were or the Force in season one. Now he is aware that this all has cachet inside New Republic circles?

(sigh)

It don't makes sense in this series and never has or will.

I think a big reason we are seeing a lot of focus on this BabyYo/egg thing is... What else did the episode give us really?

What? How was anything moved forward in terms of plot, characters or themes?

They gambled that that puppets antics are enough.

It just isn't for me.

At best we got the tiniest of peeks into the New Republic five years post Endor and we found out Mando's mission to the New Republic prison ship last season is unlikely to come and bite him on the ass.

Okay.

Also on another note...

Mando tells the two X-Wing pilots "May the Force be with you."

Odd.

He seemed to have no idea about who the Jedi were or the Force in season one. Now he is aware that this all has cachet inside New Republic circles?

(sigh)

It don't makes sense in this series and never has or will.

How many turns of phrase do you use that you know the full origin of. The issue is, because the Jedi have been the focus of Star Wars for so long, that it over states just how big and known in the galaxy they were. They were mysterious and mythic people even during the Clone Wars. I mean, the Mandos have been gone for less of the time than the Jedi, and look at how people treat actually meeting the Mando.

How many turns of phrase do you use that you know the full origin of. The issue is, because the Jedi have been the focus of Star Wars for so long, that it over states just how big and known in the galaxy they were. They were mysterious and mythic people even during the Clone Wars. I mean, the Mandos have been gone for less of the time than the Jedi, and look at how people treat actually meeting the Mando.

Yes indeed... Look at how EVERYONE knows about Mandalorians, their culture and history. Multiple characters have used that to manipulate him even in both seasons.

We're the Mandos EVER as wide spread and well known as the Jedi?

My thinking is... Jedis got around in their duties. At the end they were literally generals in a pretty important war to galactic politics pre-Empire.

Say you are on a planet that the Republic dispatched Jedis to for whatever reason in the year right before Skywalker's turn. A 10ish year old kid there who was aware of or witnessed whatever deed the Jedis did would be how old by MANDALORIAN? Around mid 40ish, no? This wouldn't be ancient history or even comparable to someone now being unfamiliar with say WWI or WWII history and figures. It's like an adult now over the age of 30 not being aware of the Vietnam War or Watergate. Do those oblivious people exist? Sure. They ain't the majority and even with an oppressive government doing its best there is no way to completely purge the memory of everyone.

I mean I turned 44 over the summer... My mother (1949) and my grandmother (1932) are still alive. There isn't anyone alive 5 years after Endor who remembers the Galactic Republic's seeming only guardians of Peace and Justice and who did so in a rather flamboyant way (Lazer swords and robes) based out of a giant tower on the capital planet with the backing and blessing of the near galactic wide government, who on top of that were the most visible adherents to a religious philosophy whose tenets and beliefs are so ingrained into the culture of the Republic that sayings like "May the Force be with you" are as ubiquitous as "God bless you" in the real world?

I don't buy it, but more importantly it makes no sense in that this inconsistency... Doesn't do anything for the story. If in the story Mando from the jump was "I don't know what species this child is... But it has the Force. Like the Jedi of old. But the Jedi are no more."

Then the armorer could reveal that no, the story of the fall of the Emperor includes the last known Jedi. That Jedi has now gone on to refound the order in secret (I honestly would assume the New Republic would set up Luke wherever he wanted but keep the location close to the vest.) but no one knows where.

Nothing major has changed in our story this way, has it? Mando is still searching for the Jedi either way, no?

So what has making this highly unlikely mass amnesia about the Jedi Order added exactly? Galaxy wide anyone over 40 years old should have memories of the Republic and the Jedi. There is no way around this, especially since, outer rim or not, Mando gets around. This would all be fairly common knowledge one would think especially in the circles Mando walks in. Warriors, assassins, criminal elements... The legends if not the history of the Jedi would factor into the various groups that the Jedi confronted on a regular basis as the defacto Federal law enforcement if you will of the Old Republic.

Lastly, our Mando in this series has got a Spock thing going on. Because of Spock's half human heritage Spock tries to be the most Vulcan Vulcan of them all. The chip on his shoulder about his human side makes him go to great lengths to emphasize his Vulcaness. I think our Mando has a similar thing going on. As a foundling he wasn't born into the Mandalorian world or culture but it is pretty obvious once he bought in, he bought in hard. He's committed to the Mandalorian ethos and is well, well versed in their ways and seems pretty informed on their history... But he just skipped all the history between the Jedi and the Mandalorians? The Dark Saber? None of this came across his desk?

It is just something that sticks out and makes no sense, especially given how good everything else on the show is this aspect feels like the person that came up with it DOESN'T know Star Wars... Which is impossible given the pedigree of the people behind the scenes. So... It's always gonna make me and I dare say a lot of other SW fans scratch our heads.

The Jedi went all over the place during the Clone Wars (which a still fairly young person like Mando was alive during), dispatched on missions to all kinds of worlds, and people like Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi were famous war heroes and them being Jedi Knights was no secret.

I can buy people not necessarily knowing Luke was a Jedi, but not remembering Jedi at all? Yea, doesn’t check out.

I think Mando knowing May the Force be with you isn't a big deal. It appeared to be a common phrase among the Rebel Alliance, and it's probably something Mando heard from their chatter over communications at some point.

The Jedi went all over the place during the Clone Wars (which a still fairly young person like Mando was alive during), dispatched on missions to all kinds of worlds, and people like Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi were famous war heroes and them being Jedi Knights was no secret.

I can buy people not necessarily knowing Luke was a Jedi, but not remembering Jedi at all? Yea, doesn’t check out.

Were the known as Jedi or were they known as generals? I mean, Leia asked for General Kenobi, not Jedi Master Kenobi. I do think the Clone Wars and making the Jedi military commanders would have colored how people view the Jedi. And yes, we run into plenty of people who know the Jedi in the various series. Just not this one.

George Lucas created this whole dilemma and confusion, when he had Han Solo not believe in the force at all in A New Hope, but then make Jedi these super famous world wide policemen in the prequels.

EmbtM99WEAEWYb7

How many Jedi were there meant to be? The recognition thing could just be a numbers game - if the Jedi Order was little more than a few thousand strong at any given time, and the Mandalorian culture numbered well into the hundreds of thousands or millions at one point, then given the size of that galaxy and various civilizations, the truth about the Jedi other than "they were a religious peacekeeping order who served as leaders in the Republic and fought in the Clone Wars" might not be so well known, as there would've been a lot fewer people who'd actually met a Jedi in person or seen them in action.

George Lucas created this whole dilemma and confusion, when he had Han Solo not believe in the force at all in A New Hope, but then make Jedi these super famous world wide policemen in the prequels.

Eh... that is different.

Han says that as someone who doesn't believe in the philosophical/metaphysical underpinnings of the Jedi "faith" that there is a mystical unity of creation or whatever Hippie nonsense Ben was selling. :o

The nature of the Force and the acceptance of what that implies is a whole other question than awareness of this galaxy wide, 1,000 generations strong order of warrior priests that have been at the forefront of galactic politics for tens of thousands of years.

If anything Han's lines and tones there indicates he is aware of the widespread belief in the Force... He just doesn't buy it.

In Rebels Kanan said there were about ten thousand Jedi during the Clone Wars. In a galaxy of countless planets, some of which would have billions of inhabitants, it's not hard to imagine who/what they really were not being well understood by most people, and then them fading into obscurity fairly quickly following their near extinction and years of Imperial propaganda. The force also isn't exclusive to the Jedi and Sith, we've seen other force sensitive/worshipping cultures in the show before, the Night Sisters, the Bardottans in Clone Wars season 6, and whatever group Chirrut was part of in Rogue One.

Obviously, the galaxy in this storyline is a big place. And the Republic didn't even operate everywhere in the prequels. Certain planets were out of their reach and didn't follow Republic rules.

How we as a society view things isn't always the best point of reference.

The "Galaxy" as we know it in Star Wars has countless planets, worlds, and sentient civilizations. Some are probably in remote areas. Some may have never heard or seen Jedi.

Obviously, the galaxy in this storyline is a big place. And the Republic didn't even operate everywhere in the prequels. Certain planets were out of their reach and didn't follow Republic rules.

Like how Amidala was shocked that slavery existed on Tattooine despite the Republic's anti-slavery laws, and Shmi said the Republic doesn't exist out here. And how Watto didn't want Republic credits.

Like how Amidala was shocked that slavery existed on Tattooine despite the Republic's anti-slavery laws, and Shmi said the Republic doesn't exist out here. And how Watto didn't want Republic credits.

While I don't like the prequels, I did think those lines were a good way to establish big picture world building.

World building dialogue is underrated IMO.

While I don't like the prequels, I did think those lines were a good way to establish big picture world building.

World building dialogue is underrated IMO.

Yea, I like concepts like that. I have a somewhat similar concept in some of the backwater worlds in my interstellar empire, and the idea that even this seemingly iron fisted military dictatorship can't control everything and some worlds govern themselves fairly autonomously and don't really see a lot of its "presence".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"