Contest Of Marvels II Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by Phaedrus45, Apr 17, 2006.

1. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

huh, yeah Flatman...:rolleyes: I would prefer not to see him back....:D

The only reason why he advanced was because the location was in the desert and his opponent (I can't remember the name) got weaker the longer he was away from water....

2. Phaedrus45 Registered

My reason from the beginning about arguing about the infinity gems was the fact they in relation to the characters, they didn't have them long enough to consider them central to their characters. Only during Adam Warlock and the Infinity Watch did they have them, which was about a three year run.

In deciding how to judge which character is the one available, we always said it's the one they are best known as. (So, we wouldn't consider Spider-Man's "The Other" personality to be included.) I would make an argument we use whichever version is the last used, or current, up to the time that characters are divided between participants (unless noted before hand). This way, there is no doubt, no argument, that JH or I will have to make. In this way, Drax is the new version we are currently seeing in the Annihilation books. (In the case of death, it will be the version available before death.)

EDIT: This would also take care of the question about Captain Britain and his sword. He currently isn't using it; thus, it's not anything that needs to be debated.

3. Phaedrus45 Registered

Yeah...the idea of uber-powerful Dr. Strange does make a valid point. It's kind of like Forge from last season. A person can argue how powerful someone is, especially with Prep. But, the case with Dr. Strange and Forge that I found funny was they have had prep time in the 616, and it never did them any good. Plain and simple, what they were allowed to do and how they were allowed to advance hadn't ever been seen before.

So, if we eliminate Dr. Strange, should we eliminate Forge, too?

4. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

Hmm yeah...at the beginning of all this JH had said NOT to go crazy with characters like Forge, which did happen, so I see your point. But of course it's really subjective on how much is too much....

If there was a way to cap them so they are not played to be uber in both cases than I could see them staying....

5. Johnny Blaze Freethinker

On a completely different note...

This Friday peeps!

IT'S PLAYOFF TIME!!!

[​IMG]

GO BOLTS!!! :D

6. wiegeabo Omniposcient

You....You shut up! :mad:

7. Phaedrus45 Registered

Hockey? I'd rather see Disney on Ice.

8. Johnny Blaze Freethinker

Blasphemy! :mad:

9. Trigger Loeb Killed Me Off

Hmmm, some of those guys were cute....Go playoffs in deed!

10. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

But I remember you arguing that Moondragon (seemed) more powerful than Xavier even without the gem, so why bother increasing her power even more? Even if it's not that much...

Drax, well I understand he was stupid when he had the gem(something about a resurection), but is that the version of him that will be used in the tournament? Because if it's not, than why would he have the gem if he's not in that state? If that's the version we're using, than fine he could have the gem but he is obviously too dumb to use it so it can't be argued he would be able to use it in the tournament. So what would it matter if he had it or not? Plus the guy was made to to kill Thanos (without the Gem), so I could easily see him on the chopping block too...

Gamora never used it, but again it could easily be argued that SHE COULD use it since it's in her inventory. So obviously if I had her as a character I would bring it up since it's a factor that could decide a matchup. But anyways again she has been said to be the best fighter in the marvel universe, so why bother going through the trouble of increasing her power?

As for Pip, he is close to being on the chopping block so it doesn't matter for him. Although I mentioned above that he could probably have it....

11. Sparta* ~Sword of Darkness~

Huzzah for PLAY-OFFS!!! :) :up:

...boo-urns to Tampa :ghost:

:p

12. JewishHobbit Registered

My opinions on some of the previously mentioned topics. Phaed, if there's something I mention as a rule, or my opinion, and you agree with, I say let's start making a list of definate rules or changes, so one doesn't slip through the cracks. It'll be easier to keep track of that way :up:

Last season I divided the characters evenly. Those left over were the odd number of characters that were left. However, I really hated having characters unowned. If people can be mature about it, I'm alright with continuing the draft and giving random people (however the draft turns out) one extra character, and this way every character has an owner.

I agree that it got a little annoying last season with lack of turnout in regards to voting, debating, etc. After round 1 I made it a rule that a person must vote and debate in a majority of their matches, and I even thought that was leniant. In my opinion I think it should be manditory that a person at least give a write up, even if a few lines, for every one of their characters, and that everyone should vote. If we want to be leniant on voting we can say they are required to at least vote in weeks where they have a match.

Now, we're not evil dictators and we can be understanding if you miss here and there, or if something comes up that you can't participate that week. But if at all possible, let us know when you won't be around, and if it's for too long be courteous enough to inform us and kindly step out of the tournament, so that your characters can be distributed and the game can continue. (with how long this thing is, I say that if you know you can't participate for 3 or 4 consecutive weeks, it's considered too long. Phaed and I can figure this out for further detail later.)

13. JewishHobbit Registered

No, I think you were fine, because you did so respectfully and with purpose. I was more annoyed at people who just disappeared.

We looked into that as a possibility, but we decided that for at least this season we'll keep the one on one status quo. If we have a season 3, then I would highly consider the team option.

14. JewishHobbit Registered

I personally liked how we had it last season. There is to be no character interaction. Preptime is simply your character and that's it. Also, resources that belong STRICTLY to the character in question can be used, not something his teammate can use or make up for him. Some examples below:

Any X-man who is not a psychic cannot use Cerebro.

If there is something in the Avenger's Mansion that is accessable to everyone, but your Avenger Character died before it became accessable, it is not accessable to the character.

Any X-man who cannot fly, or has never been seen flying it, cannot use the blackbird.

Thing, Sue, and Johnny cannot use devices created by Reed, unless he previously created it FOR them to use, thus making it their's.

Someone whose had SHIELD clearance (Danielle Moonstar, Kitty Pryde, etc) who was not a level 10 agent (Nick Fury), cannot use level 10 agent's resources.

etc. etc. etc. If there is a question on whether something is allowed, PM it to Phaed or Myself. (Provided we keep preptime this way)

And I have to say that I ended up not being a fan of the characters knowing about previous matches, or even the tournament at all. I like to picture the matches as random individual things.

Hmm, never even considered these options. Truthfully, I'm not 100% against the ideas. I'm okay with them if Phaed and most everyone else are.

I personally like the idea of open debating until voting is over, for the fact that not everyone has the same scheduals, and sometimes people need more time before getting their debates up. I think this is especially important if we are going to make debating a 99.9% manditory thing.

The only times that I can recall a match's debates going too far are when names and belittlements begin to appear. I don't mind a little heated debate, but I've said it since day one, this is a gentlemen's game and it will be treated like so.

I actually really like the idea of predetermining the locations before the brackets are made. It's really cool having a hometown advantage, but it's something that Powder wasn't able to do last season, and I'd like to maybe see it happen this season. I think that the circumstances of each location should be decided on in each location. (One random week can be Daily Bugle fully staffed, another week can be Daily Bugle empty, or whatever). There's a lot of matches, so we'd need a lot of locations, but I think something that could help is by including locations of other media, though I prefer not too many. If Phaed is okay with this then I'm okay with it, but I prefer it to be 90% comic book locations. Heck it can even be comic book locations outside of the Marvel and DC universes.

To tell you the truth, toward the middle to end, I stopped remembering when any schedual took place (due to my hectic schedual). I did feel that the schedual was fairly adaquate though, and did alright. Two and a half to three days is good voting time in my opinion.

I do think that it should be manditory that a vote is cast in EVERY thread, or not counted at all. It isn't fair to the players who aren't in your thread, if your vote could have saved their player, but you were too lazy to do all threads (this isn't a knock to Deathshead, just saying this in general).

I'm still against the notion of changing your votes, though if I'm in the minority on this I can change my vote on this :p In my opinion, if you worry about changing your vote during voting time, then put off voting for as long as you can and read every rebuttle that comes. Don't vote in the first 3 minutes and get mad when someone puts up a rebuttal after you vote.

In my opinion, no. I prefur this to be all individual matches, thus no connection. Plus if Malice takes over Thing's body in round 1, most probably Malice's opponant in round 2 won't remember this, it taking place 27 years later. And who wants to retrace a thread to find the match to see how it went?

Again, in my opinion, no.

15. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

Umm I did that on purpose. I never liked the idea of anyone having an advantage before the match even started. It should be an even playing field for each character. I mean how fair would it be if ANYONE faced Doctor Doom in his castle....it's basically an automatic loss.

The character could spend their 24 hours of prep time to prepare the battlefield to fight against their opponent, which goes against one of the other rules that a character can not interact with the battlefield.

16. JewishHobbit Registered

Some of Powder's comments that I wanted to comment on:

I think we all felt this after a while, and I think a good cure would be to have more "break weeks" were we take a week off to regain our wits. I'm not sure how often we should have them, but I think it'd be a big help. We can either schedual them, or just play it by ear. When people seem to be getting tired, we can randomly call one.

In my opinion (as previously stated) every character should have at least one small debate each week. I will say that I am not into the idea of someone 'filling in' for someone else if they can't participate. For some reason that just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth. I'll have to think on that one and get Phaed's opinion.

So something like this

Friday - Monday- Post strategy. Once strategy has been posted debating on issues can be made.
    Tuesday - Debating ONLY. Which means no placing a strategy and only debating issues.
    Wednesday Morning - Friday Morning - Voting ONLY.

The only problem with a one day debating time period, is that there are people who may not be able to get on that day, or who could easily debate the day before or the day after, but would miss their chance and could lose the match because work made them stay over on debate day (and I don't think that's a legitiment excuse to leave work early :))

I'm still torn on this one. I like to keep it open for everyone to enjoy, but you are right on people not following the rules and voting based on favorate characters or players, etc. I'm open to change this rule to only CoM contestant voting if Phaed and most everyone else would prefur this.

17. JewishHobbit Registered

I know you did that on purpose, and I respect it. However, the Fantastic Four have faught Doom in his castle time and time again, and it seems that in most comic matches, there's a hometown advantage. Now if I were to post locations as you did last season, I'd have done the same thing, but I like the idea of posting them prior to the characters being placed in the brackets, as it adds a bit more of comic realism to the matches.

18. JewishHobbit Registered

As for the Infinity Gems:

I think, for the sake of argument, that it may be best to just completely remove them. I know that Moondragon, Gamora, and Drax are good enough characters to do well without them, and though Pip would probably get the axe due to lameness factor, and I think it's an understandable sacrefice. The only one I'm iffy on is Adam Warlock. I only know him with the gem. What was he like before it, and what exactly can or can't he do with it?

19. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

Break weeks would be good. I would say in between each round. Especially the early rounds since they are so long, and the ones near the end because each match is very important...

It wasn't really a suggestion, more of a passing thought. Not something I am crazy about as well.

Actually you misinterpreted. What I was saying is that each contestant should post their strategy/argument FIRST before debating which should happen by Tuesday. The debating could happen after the FIRST post at anytime, but instead of voting starting on Tuesday leave that one extra day to have debates only to clear up any last issues and have voting start on Wednesday and end on Friday instead of Thursday.

The schedule would be nearly the same, just that there is one extra day to have for debates and voting starts and ends a day later.

You have to think back at the beginning of this when we were all fresh in this. We all usually had our debates by Sunday and debated through. At the end everyone was near dead of exhaustion so we were delaying our debates as long as possible....

Doesn't the DTL follow the same guideline though, isn't only the participants able to vote?

Maybe you could extend the voting to past participants and maybe even people who voted in year one....

20. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

As far as I can tell he still has cosmic powers and is still a formidable character without it, but with it he could use the soul gem for many purposes including absorbing one's soul into the Gem's dimension, deevolving an individual into it's most primal state, and can increase his strength and other abilities substancially....

21. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

So the combined effort of the fantastic four were able to beat Doctor Doom in probably a more surprised attack....:)

That's saying a lot, of course....

How about you list all the locations to be used in the tournament, do up a list in secret of what week is what and than if there is a problem one week where some character would have too great of an advantage than switch it with another week....

22. JewishHobbit Registered

Here’s my opinion on some characters:

Too Uber
    High Evolutionary
    Scarlet Witch (though Pre-Bendis I think could be okay)
    Thanos
    Franklin Richards (though his teen Fantastic Force version may be alright)
    Malice
    Molecule Man
    Blackbolt
    Dormammu

Debatable
    Gilgamesh
    Adam Warlock
    Magus
    Dr. Strange
    Morg
    Silver Surfer
    Terrax
    Ikaris (Eternal)
    Kulan Gath
    Sphinx
    Any Captain Marvel
    Nate Grey
    Kid Omega
    The entire Thor section (most could be debated)

”Special”
    Pip the Troll
    Trapster
    General Ryker
    Wood God
    Howard the Duck
    Alex Wilder (But man I’d hate to remove a Runnaway)
    Beak

Debatable
    Jigsaw
    Sharon Carter
    Chameleon
    Baron Wolfgang Von Strucker
    Stilt Man
    Medusa
    Gateway
    Lockheed
    Kazar
    Shanna
    Mojo
    Viper
    Gargoyal
    Nighthawk
    Silver Sable

23. JewishHobbit Registered

And as for the GLA. While I agree that Squirel Girl and Flatman are overly "special" some of their characters can be decent (Big Burtha, Doorman, and Grasshopper specifically), but then I'm sure there's other characters out there who we'd much rather have than them.

Also, I'm thinking it might be alright to substitute a few almost "special" characters for alternate cooler ones... such as Abyss for Abyss (Age of Apocalypse), or Laurie Collins for Laurie Collins (House of M).

24. JewishHobbit Registered

I'm thinking that Hyperion (Exiles) could still be alright, as he's pretty much just an evil Superman. I think he'd be top of the line uber, but he can be beaten by fairly conventional means.

25. JewishHobbit Registered

Ah, so you're suggesting that basically there's a last day for debating, focused on only debating, and after that it closes and there's not debates during the voting period? that actually doesn't sound bad. I'm not sure that we really need the extra day, but if a day is known strictly as "debate day," then I guess it could motivate. Hmm, I'll have to think on that.

I don't think so. It didn't use to.

This could possibly work