Contest Of Marvels II Discussion Thread

Phaedrus45 said:
My reason from the beginning about arguing about the infinity gems was the fact they in relation to the characters, they didn't have them long enough to consider them central to their characters. Only during Adam Warlock and the Infinity Watch did they have them, which was about a three year run.

In deciding how to judge which character is the one available, we always said it's the one they are best known as. (So, we wouldn't consider Spider-Man's "The Other" personality to be included.) I would make an argument we use whichever version is the last used, or current, up to the time that characters are divided between participants (unless noted before hand). This way, there is no doubt, no argument, that JH or I will have to make. In this way, Drax is the new version we are currently seeing in the Annihilation books. (In the case of death, it will be the version available before death.)

EDIT: This would also take care of the question about Captain Britain and his sword. He currently isn't using it; thus, it's not anything that needs to be debated.

Hmm, I think this is a good start. I'm thinking the best and most clear way to do this is to go with your "last seen" idea, but to go to extreme's in the labling of characters that we want otherwise. All characters without notes after the end are current versions.

Examples -

"Spiderman (Red and Blue)" whereas current version would be the red and gold and with organic webshooters.

"Cable (Pre Burnt Offering)" would basically cover that and his telekinesis before they became massively uber, whereas current would be his technological mind from "Cable and Deadpool"

I'm thinking that this could be handy and make for less debates, though there would still be some I'm sure. A good idea may be to make an early post in each of the four threads with detail on characters like those mentioned above that could be debatable. We can randomly post them with updates later as people are eliminated and such as well.

Also: Some characters I'd like to see in...

Thin Man (he was in the New Invaders series and is going to be in the next issue of Cable and Deadpool. He's stretches like Reed Richards, but he's more lethal with it)

Daisy Johnson (this was Nick Fury's girl from Secret War. She can create earthquakes on a large scale, or as small as to explode someone's heart. Level 10 Shield clearance)

Thomas Shepherd (this is the new speedster from Young Avengers and
one of Scarlet Witch's twn sons, along with Wiccan
.)

Also Kate from Young Avengers if she isn't already

Maybe Layla Miller from House of M and X-Factor. She's been proving herself in X-Factor, so she's debatable.

Maybe some of the more noticable 198, like Erg and Mammomax. I'd love for Mr. M to be included, but he may be too Uber.

Maybe some of the Sentinel Squad O.N.E. guys.

I'd also love to see some of the 2099 characters myself -

Spiderman 2099
Skullfire 2099
Junkpile 2099
Xi'an 2099

other cool X-Men 2099 characters, and there were tons.

SHOOOOO!

Caught up,.. comment and debate on anything I've mentioned. Everything's up for open discussion, nothing's set in stone thus far.

POWdER-man said:
Break weeks would be good. I would say in between each round. Especially the early rounds since they are so long, and the ones near the end because each match is very important...

Doesn't the DTL follow the same guideline though, isn't only the participants able to vote?

Maybe you could extend the voting to past participants and maybe even people who voted in year one....

Anyone can vote in the DTL. It's just not a lot of outsiders do. :(

I htink breaks are going to be essential too. One week off after each round until the bracket champions are declared. After that, no more breaks until the final round. (True, those last few weeks of matches are important, but there's so few matches that I'm afraid the breaks would just slow everything down too much.)

wiegeabo said:
Anyone can vote in the DTL. It's just not a lot of outsiders do. :(

I htink breaks are going to be essential too. One week off after each round until the bracket champions are declared. After that, no more breaks until the final round. (True, those last few weeks of matches are important, but there's so few matches that I'm afraid the breaks would just slow everything down too much.)

Yeah, I'm thinking we can have a break maybe halfway through round one too, being that the end of round 1 is the half way point of the tournament. It'd be good to get at least one before then.

I like the idea of using different counterparts. I wouldn't mind having AoA Husk in the tournament instead of her normal counterparts.

Some points that I've noticed or want to speak on:

1) About what Powder kind of touched on; the idea of debating and how we go about posting. I don't know if anything will or should change...but, one of the aggrivating things about the debates is a) posting your debate first, only to have the next person's debate just be a slamming of what you've said. It's almost as if the first person who gets up their debate is at a disadvantage. (Also, the idea that I can come up with an idea of defeating their character, and the opponent says, "Well, I'll just do this..." doesn't really work unless the opponent's character would already take into consideration my strategy.) B) It is aggrivating to post your debate, and the main arguing happens during voting. For me, this is my time away from debating my matches, and is kind of a rest time. But, you tend to get the feeling that if you don't continue to debate, people will be siding with the other person. c) One very annoying thing is when Death's Head used the following debate for defeating my character: "Please vote for ____; I only have two characters left." What I remember about the match is I had his character defeated in debate, and yet i still lost. I do think a couple people might have taken pity on him. D) It's great to walk away from a round with a lot of characters still in your list alive....but, I think it's better that it's also a disadvantage in debating. I know that Powder felt overwhelmed the week he had 6 debates to do...but, as someone who had his list decimated, it's kind of the price you have to pay for good luck. It also made me feel better about having fewer character...lol.

2) Some characters mentioned might be troublesome...for the same reason that Gateway was difficult to debate against. Layla Miller, for example, not much is really known about her and her powers; so, it would be both hard to debate her or debate against her.

3) Yeah, I'm not sure anyone would say, "I would like to only play 10 characters," but, if someone who's played last season really doesn't want to have to debate as much this time, it might help convince them if they could just have some of their favorite characters, if the order of dividing them up provides this. I would ask, would Powder be more inclined to possibly play again if you can have just 10 characters to focus on?

Phaedrus45 said:
Some points that I've noticed or want to speak on:

1) About what Powder kind of touched on; the idea of debating and how we go about posting. I don't know if anything will or should change...but, one of the aggrivating things about the debates is a) posting your debate first, only to have the next person's debate just be a slamming of what you've said. It's almost as if the first person who gets up their debate is at a disadvantage. (Also, the idea that I can come up with an idea of defeating their character, and the opponent says, "Well, I'll just do this..." doesn't really work unless the opponent's character would already take into consideration my strategy.) B) It is aggrivating to post your debate, and the main arguing happens during voting. For me, this is my time away from debating my matches, and is kind of a rest time. But, you tend to get the feeling that if you don't continue to debate, people will be siding with the other person. c) One very annoying thing is when Death's Head used the following debate for defeating my character: "Please vote for ____; I only have two characters left." What I remember about the match is I had his character defeated in debate, and yet i still lost. I do think a couple people might have taken pity on him. D) It's great to walk away from a round with a lot of characters still in your list alive....but, I think it's better that it's also a disadvantage in debating. I know that Powder felt overwhelmed the week he had 6 debates to do...but, as someone who had his list decimated, it's kind of the price you have to pay for good luck. It also made me feel better about having fewer character...lol.

Some good points. As for the debating during voting goes, I'm on the side of saying that debates stop as soon as Voting starts. The more I'm thinking of it, the more I like the idea of extending debates one day and have the last day a "debate" day, for no other reason than to key it into people's memories that it's the last day to debate. This would fix that problem I feel.

The "Vote for me, I'm almost out" thing is kind of annoying, but all in all it comes down to the voters. We can't really say that you can't use pity in your tactics, but we can emphasize that it isn't looked kindly at. Overall I don't think there's really anything we can do about it. If someone uses it against you, point out that it's a part of the game and that the strongest characters should advance or some such. Just keep the debate going. That's my opinion anyhow, I'm open for it to change.

And lastly, on the topic of a person's debate is simply a rebuttle, I personally look down on that myself. I think it could be good to make it a rule that you HAVE to post your own debate before rebuttling your opponant's, or else it is illegal and if abused, you may become punished. This will help I think. Any other thoughts?

2) Some characters mentioned might be troublesome...for the same reason that Gateway was difficult to debate against. Layla Miller, for example, not much is really known about her and her powers; so, it would be both hard to debate her or debate against her.

Yeah, I thought that for Layla too, but I thought I'd throw the name out there. They're suppose to reveal a lot about her soon in X-Factor, so depending on how that goes we may want to either say a definate yes or no for her. If the characters is too questionable, I think we can together decide if they stay or go.

3) Yeah, I'm not sure anyone would say, "I would like to only play 10 characters," but, if someone who's played last season really doesn't want to have to debate as much this time, it might help convince them if they could just have some of their favorite characters, if the order of dividing them up provides this. I would ask, would Powder be more inclined to possibly play again if you can have just 10 characters to focus on?

Good question. I'm debating again on playing or not, this may help me out if we decide to go this route.

Trigger said:
I like the idea of using different counterparts. I wouldn't mind having AoA Husk in the tournament instead of her normal counterparts.

If we end up including AoA characters, Husk has always been one of my favorates. I don't know if I'd have her replace Husk, as she's fairly prominant as it is. I think they're both unique enough to maybe be in it as two separate characters, if we have room that is.

C'mon people...gotta get this thing going.
That way, when this season ends, I can once again begin trying to convince you all to do a DC one. :D :p

Heh, Sorry for the delay. My job sucks and make me work second shift, so when I'm home, my wife is at work, thus, the kids are all mine. So I get online but have to be quick here and theres. I'm going to be going through a temp. agency soon I think, so hopefully that'll help me out. Anybody gone through one before? I'm not sure what to expect.

Not sure how that would work out for you, never went that way...but good luck...:up:

BTW I think I might take the offer of only 10 characters now that you mention it....maybe me and JH can split a team...:D

Hey have you guys seen my thread in the Spider-Man 3 forum? It's in my sig, I managed to get a snapshot of Spider-man on set...:)

POWdER-man said:
BTW I think I might take the offer of only 10 characters now that you mention it....maybe me and JH can split a team...:D

You know, I might take you up on that. :) I won't say if I'll take any characters yet until closer to the beginning of the season.

Okay, you guys are all in my generation (for the most part),.... what are the chances of THIS being real?!

No chance. The guy who played Zack is on Commander and Chief right now. And even thought they're not sure if they'll get a season 2, if they do, he'll stick with that.

I doubt Theissen, Lopez, or Berkely would do it either. Besides, the idea is so thin. Possibly, the Belding-Screech thing would work. But why the heck would the others come back? (Maybe they would do a guest spot, but the whole thing seems doubtfull).

It would really rock if that group came back together. I used to watch Saved by the Bell all the time when it was on. Heck, just one more little episode or TV-movie centering around the gang would be a whole lot of fun.

What about Elders of the Universe like the Runner or the Gardener or Champion as characters for this thing?

I probably will play again. Good thing I saw this thread in someone's sig.:xmen:

JewishHobbit said:
Okay, you guys are all in my generation (for the most part),.... what are the chances of THIS being real?!
Sounds cool. I also am excited about the Aqua Teen Hungar Force Movie coming out. I love Adult Swim:xmen:

Never liked Saved By The Bell. At all. So I will pray to the Norse Gods that it never comes back from the dead. I'm still struggling to get over this Dallas remake. Seriously, J-Lo as Sue Ellen?

Ahura Mazda said:
What about Elders of the Universe like the Runner or the Gardener or Champion as characters for this thing?
The Runner should not be allowed. I could see the Champion making it in. Grandmaster...if Thanos and the Evolutionary aren't allowed then he shouldn't be either.
Don't know enough about the other Elders to say anything about them.

Wow, this thing's gone decreped. Lets get it going again, shall we?

Okay, I'll start by saying that I don't know a thing about the Runner, Champion, or any of them. I know the names, but I don't know enough about them to say yes or no.

Also, my time is still severely limited and it won't be freeing up any time soon. (well, hopefully soon, as I'm looking for a new job, but we'll see) So if I don't get the chance to post as much as I'd like, just keep the discussion going and I'm alright with whatever decissions Phaed makes about next season. If there's anything I'm strongly against, I'll let him know. We need a detailed list of what needs to be accomplished and then work on those things one by one, instead of all of them at once. Some things that need hashed out are:

- Characters to be taken out, and then characters to be added.

- Find out EXACTLY who from last season still want to play. And I'm alright with the limited amount of characters if anyone wants to only have 5 or 10 characters or whatever. If it gets more players, have at it in my opinion.

- Finish Identifying and making definate calls on the things we've had problems with in season 1. These shouldn't be difficult to figure out, we just need to hear the problems, the defenses if any, and make a call (Phaed and I that is). I think this is the first thing we should tackle and hash out. The characters are fun, but I don't think we should worry about those just yet. I'm about to hit the hey, but if I get the chance in the morning, I'll post a list of the topics brought up thus far and we'll start making some decisions regarding them. (or if any of you want to compile an organized list, feel free).

Hmm, I think those are the main three things we need to figure out. As mentioned, the last one, of what needs fixed from last season, I think should be tackled first. It's the least fun, but necessary. Once that is done, or mostly accomplished anyhow, we can move on to the characters, and from there, gather the players. Let me know if you think we should be going about this another way, but I think this is the best, most organized route.

Thanks guys. Now, I'm going to bed and calling this Birthday to an end. (oh, and I applied for a front end supervisor job today at a local arts and crafts store, pray that I get it!)

dang, did I miss saying Happy B-day to you, JH? I'm so sorry. I've been so busy with the sale of my old house, I've been neglecting doing anything for CoM II. On a good note, comics get mailed tomorrow (barring any unforseen problems) to both Blaze and Powder. I'll let everyone know what they are getting tomorrow. But, suffice it to say, Blaze gets the collection of X-Men comics I mentioned, including first appearance of Gambit, and Powder is receiving about 30 Ultimate X-Men comics.

Phaedrus45 said:
dang, did I miss saying Happy B-day to you, JH? I'm so sorry. I've been so busy with the sale of my old house, I've been neglecting doing anything for CoM II. On a good note, comics get mailed tomorrow (barring any unforseen problems) to both Blaze and Powder. I'll let everyone know what they are getting tomorrow. But, suffice it to say, Blaze gets the collection of X-Men comics I mentioned, including first appearance of Gambit, and Powder is receiving about 30 Ultimate X-Men comics.
Sweet. Thanks again, Phaed, for the comics. I know I can safely say I speak for everyone when I say that we really appreciate you going out of your way to provide a prize for this thing. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"