The Avengers Crowd Reports!

My local theater (town of 15,000) had 4 showings. I think it was two 2D and two 3D. I was in one of the 2D theaters and it appeared to be sold out. From the way they were assigning tickets on the way in I have to assume both 2D showings were full. Not sure about the 3D theaters.

The audience skewed VERY young. Teenagers made up at least 90% of the crowd. That surprised me a great deal. I noticed older people were arriving late so some may have got there too late to get a ticket. We were seated an hour before showtime and the place was 50% full at that point. Fun group though...many costumes. One guy painted green. Male to female ratio appeared to be about 60/40%. Hard to say for sure, but there seemed to be quite a few girls there.

Trailers were Spider-Man, Battleship, and Batman. The screen was screwed up for the Spidey trailer so no idea how that went over (one guy sprinted out to inform management to cheers from the crowd). Dead silence for Battleship and a couple of claps for Batman.

Applause at the end but most didn't stay for the extra scenes. I guess they had to get up early for school and just figured "we'll see it on YouTube". Overall one of my best ever movie theater experiences. The place was buzzing.

My brother is going to the first showing today here in Columbus and I and my girlfriend will be going first showing on Saturday, will let everyone know what kind of crowds we see.

I want to report a Kraut!
My German co-worker is late, I can't leave work because of him!

My "private" screening was crashed by about 45 others. No applaus. Trailers:prometheus-Brave-TDKR-Battleship.

My showing was awesome! Crowd was fun as hell two hours before the movie we were all discussing and talking and cracking jokes while sitting in the theater it was a small theater, in Dolphins Mall here in Miami, during the movie we cheered, we laughed we had a good time! :D I missed "Puny God" though because of the crowd reaction to what happens prior :/ but all in all can't wait to see it again tonight!!! :D

My showing was great, not sold out, but we were in a theater added at the last minute for 3-D. Movie cut out at the very beginning for 10 minutes, and I thought we were going to have a riot on our hands.

But I used to work at that theater, and that was the most crowded I had ever seen it, and I worked during TDK's release. Very good sign for Marvel.

Seen it for the 3rd time. It's been 1 week and 2 days since it was released here in the Philippines and I must say people are still lining up to see this movie, it's not full but I'm surprised that some people are still reserving seats for this movie. There were still some laughs and cheers during the film, the part where the Avengers assembled in NYC got the most cheers in the movie.

The theater I went to had it playing in three rooms. IMAX 3D, IMAX, and Regular. All were sold out. We got there two and a half hours early and the line was already pretty big. We still managed to get seats right in the middle of the room.

My midnight screening crowd was insane...
there was a standing ovation at the end
and everyone rofled at the second post credits scene

Went to the first showing here @ 9am. About 10 people in theater. Expected a small crowd being a Friday morning.

Crowds is Michigan have been the best I've EVER seen for a Friday. I never checked out any Harry Potter or Twilight movies but Avengers is outclassing every other event film I've ever measured and I like to check out crowds and gage several local theatres.

Friday night, REGULAR screenings were selling out and jam packed. One theatre had four major large auditoriums filled and 3 smaller 3D screening packed. An AMC 30 screen theatre 5 miles away had another 4 HUGE auditoriums filled including an IMAX. 4 other side screening also near sell out.

Box office numbers are going to be huge.

My audience went wild every time Hulk was on-screen! Especially during the scenes where he showed his dislike for gods. Hell, I didn't even get to hear his line because they were going so crazy; but I was cracking up right with them. :D

This was also the first time I've seen a movie where the audience clapped. They even did it two times. One for the ending & another for the mid-credits scene.

I went to a later matinee so I could have a somewhat small, but still loud enough audience. It had about only 70 people, but got exactly what I expect a larger crowd would be. They laughed (quite a bit more than I initially thought going in) at all the right times and you could hear an audible gasp at Coulson being killed. The NYC and Helicarrier fight scenes really got the crowd excited, especially when their personal favorite superhero was on-screen. I think the only time I couldn't hear the dialogue was just after Loki got smashed and Hulk said his little line.

After the movie, walking out into the theater lobby, there were just lines of people at the other screens showing the movie and also the ticket line at the entrance. I haven't seen those type of lines since maybe TDK or a couple of the Star Wars prequels so this movie is doing quite well, even in a fairly small, 120K+ city.

I went to my 4th screening tonight, with my 15 years old cousin. We went to this 300 seats tiny movie theater at a little town close from here and I wasn't surprised to not see too many people waiting in line for the movie, since well it's a little town and it's been a whole week since the movie opened here.

Well, that's why we've got there half a hour to the screening, because after we got ourselves some energy drinks some energy drinks, there was a huge ass line for the show, an extremely varied crowd, packed movie theater and people cheering like ****ing nutsos through the whole movie. I want you to take a moment to remember that ONE WEEK has passed since the movie opened here. This is so ****ing crazy. And my cousin is a newly turned comic geek, she just bought her first digital comic ever, Avengers Assemble #1.

As for my personal viewing experience, every time it's like the first time. Saying that The Avengers is the ultimate cinematic experience is an understatement.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

Last edited:
I caught the AM showing which was quite packed and got plenty of audience applause. Lots of laughs were had from my crowd but being easily irritated like I am, the audience laughter got annoying after a while when I was trying to pay attention to the movie.

I caught the AM showing which was quite packed and got plenty of audience applause. Lots of laughs were had from my crowd but being easily irritated like I am, the audience laughter got annoying after a while when I was trying to pay attention to the movie.
That's sort of why having a smaller crowd is better since they still laugh over a bit of dialogue, but it's hardly ever so loud that you can't hear.

That's why I usually go to AM showings to have the smallest crowd possible, and thus a quieter one, but I guess with a hugely anticipated event movie like this the audience turnout will be enormous regardless of the time, especially when the movie is just released. There were some instances the laughter practically became a spectacle.

That's why I usually go to AM showings to have the smallest crowd possible, and thus a quieter one, but I guess with a hugely anticipated event movie like this the audience turnout will be enormous regardless of the time, especially when the movie is just released. There were some instances the laughter practically became a spectacle.
For a movie like this, I guess it's going to be a little harder to find a smaller crowd. Afternoon matinees on Fridays are probably the best bet for movies like this but even then, I bet a lot of people could take off work early to see it. I partially went to a later time, even though I could have seen an early afternoon showing, was to see how large the crowd was for the late-night showings. After seeing the long lines in town the size of mine, I feel confident that the movie is doing good business in plenty of other locations.

There were actually a ton of fanboys, which was great. Cheering and clapping and half stayed until the very end.

For a movie like this, I guess it's going to be a little harder to find a smaller crowd. Afternoon matinees on Fridays are probably the best bet for movies like this but even then, I bet a lot of people could take off work early to see it. I partially went to a later time, even though I could have seen an early afternoon showing, was to see how large the crowd was for the late-night showings. After seeing the long lines in town the size of mine, I feel confident that the movie is doing good business in plenty of other locations.

I have no doubt this movie will mop the floor at the box office this weekend, and my theater was pretty packed when I went and that was just the AM matinee. I plan to see it again this week with hopefully at least a quieter crowd. I don't mind when the audience laughs at some funny moments but it gets annoying when it's non-stop and it drowns out the sound from the movie. It's like "Okay, it was a funny scene worth a chuckle, move along."

There was definitely positive energy at my screening, though. You can tell it won over everybody. It's the most likeable movie I've seen in a long time, for lack of a better word to describe it. Just one of those movies that makes you happy to be alive when you've seen it and you let it sink in.

The crowd i saw it with erupted in applause at this scene:

194f35df.jpg

It brought a tear to this aging fanboy's eye. :yay:

I just saw the movie again today(its my 2nd time seeing it), when I went to the midnight show there were no kids but this one was full of them. The theather was probably 89% full and this is not a busy theater in my town, its just conveniently located to where I live now. Everyone who was in line was going to see The Avengers, some weren't even going to the same showing as me, and there was a showing every 30 minutes(some 2d, some 3d). The first half of the movie I was getting a little worried that the kids weren't into it cause they weren't laughing at the jokes(my midnight show laughed at ALL the right places, it was great.) but once the Hulk came on the scene on the helicarrier they started getting into it. They loved The Hulk. Everyone laughed and clapped at the stuff he did. The kids were really into the movie once the team assembled and when it ended I heard multiple people walking out(yes, before the 2 end credit scenes) saying "That was GREAT".

My theater was very enthusiastic at nearly every point of them movie. They laughed at all the humor, clapped when Hulk stopped that one Leviathan from going through a building, clapped when the lights dimmed when it started, clapped when the lights came on, and cheered at Thanos.

The second time I went to see it my theater was very packed and thankfully the crowd was a lot quieter and more restrained. They still laughed at the funny parts but they weren't obnoxious or disruptive about it.

Thursday night was probably one of the most enjoyable midnight premieres I've ever been to - if not THE most enjoyable.

I can only hope my next viewing is even half as enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"