Arrow Dinah Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They threw that serious grounded thing out the window this season.

GAIL SIMONE
‏@GailSimone
Okay. If Black Canary is on #arrow, why am I not writing her right now?

EXPLAIN THAT TO ME.

It's from November, but they need to make this happen.

Since Mamma Lance lives in Central City, it would be a great opportunity to have Laurel cross over some time.

Since Mamma Lance lives in Central City, it would be a great opportunity to have Laurel cross over some time.

Agreed; nothing against Felicity (since I love her character) but I think they're really overdoing it by using Felicity as the only character to constantly go back and forth between both shows (cities).

Plus, as far as I know of, Laurel is like the only member of Team Arrow that has not had the chance to really interact with Barry and I think it would be funny to see her reaction to his powers.

I'd like to see Gail guest write a laurel and/or a birds of prey episode for arrow...

Maybe Cisco can make her a better canary cry gadget that makes it more "organic" if the arrow producers are dead set against powers on the show for their main characters.

The scene from the preview
blackcanaryflash.jpg

Aww I'm so happy for her and excited to see Black Canary rise.

I've had my reservations about Cassidy taking over for Lotz but her obvious enthusiasm for finally being able to get in on the action is extremely reassuring, very much looking forward to seeing this play out.

romy_and_michelle_shop_gif_by_ellidegg-d48wfdl.gif

I feel like Michele watching Pretty Woman. I just get really happy when they finally let her suit up and fight.

I actually wonder if there was, even a moment, where Cassidy thought that it might be possible that she may no longer become Black Canary when Caity appeared on the show as "Canary" in Season 2, along with all of the hate that the character had been receiving at that period (something that Cassidy is said to have been aware of as well)

Looking forward to see Laurel as Black Canary, her costume looks great (although a little bit impractical with all those buckles and straps that doesn't seem to have any practical purpose), hopefully this will help with the undeserved hate the character receives, although she still has a long way to go before reaching Oliver's or Sara's level of skill.

Last thing: How do you deal with the fans? The shipping community on this show has gotten so crazy that we now have Jimmy Kimmel having said "Olicity" on the air. Do you just kind of black all that out and work?

[Laughs] Um...yes! Because I think the worst thing that you can do as an actor is to get caught up in the bulls--t. And I'm sorry for saying that word, but I ignore...you can't compare yourself to other people, you can't get caught up in all the drama. The best way that I've been able to deal with it is to just ignore all of it. I'm here to do a job and I'm passionate about it and I love it and I want to make the fans happy but I don't need to be hearing or reading or seeing negative things because that's not going to help me or my character in any way.

http://comicbook.com/2015/01/28/arrows-katie-cassidy-on-legacy-heroes-training-at-5-a-m-and-olic/

DC Comics has a history of legacy heroes -- people who take on the costume of their predecessors. I think this is the first time that's happened onscreen because obviously you don't usually kill your lead characters... On Arrow it turns out we actually do! [Laughs]

I actually wonder if there was, even a moment, where Cassidy thought that it might be possible that she may no longer become Black Canary when Caity appeared on the show as "Canary" in Season 2, along with all of the hate that the character had been receiving at that period (something that Cassidy is said to have been aware of as well)

I believe there was, she said in S2 when they brought in Sara as Canary she was briefly upset about it but the producers talked to her about it and told her their plans.

Here is the interview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58493

Some excerpts
Your costume's been a long time coming, From the beginning of the series, everybody wondered if, when, how? So what did it mean for you to finally get to this point?

Yeah, I mean, it's truly an honor. When I originally sat down and met with Greg [Berlanti] and Mark [Guggenheim] and Andrew [Kreisberg], they pitched me the characters attached to the show. And they had said Black Canary, and I was, like, over the moon. I wanted to do something action-packed. I thought that was great. And then it's television -- anything can happen. But Season Two, obviously, they brought my sister back, and she was the Canary. It was disappointing at first, but they explained to me, and it really made sense.

I'm actually happy that it worked out this way because they were like, "You can't just come become a hero overnight. You have to earn it." Oliver was on an island for five years. Laurel can't just all of a sudden wake up one day, put on the suit and turn into the Black Canary. She has to earn it. I feel as though Season Two, she really hit rock bottom, and the writers really wrote for me, which I totally appreciate. She's earning it. She's training. She's fighting. She's following her heart, and she's going out there on the streets. She's doing what she believes in.

Last edited:

I'm glad she's not Sara 2.0 yet. I can't wait for her to get there, but I actually want to see the journey. It'll be cool. And once she actually is a great fighter, she'll have earned it. Little things like getting cut on the arm by that guy show that they're not just suddenly making her an excellent fighter without any training.

And I know they addressed this, but it's nice to see it in the show itself. I know people don't like her, but I'm rooting for Laurel.

^That was a great scene with those two tonight.

^That was a great scene with those two tonight.

It has definitely been nice seeing the characters interact with people not named Oliver the past couple episodes. We've gotten some good scenes out of those interactions, particularly where Laurel is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"