Supergirl Episode 3.09 "Reign" (SPOILERS)

Am I the only one kinda of hoping Supergirl never technically defeats Reign? I mean, in the comics, she never really did. Reign outmatched her pretty solidly throughout. Supergirl just ended up hurting one of Reign's fellow Worldkillers, and Reign's concern for the others is what prompted her to take her crew and leave Earth.

Since there don't appear to be other Worldkillers in play here, Ruby getting hurt/being at risk will probably be their equivalent. Kara will probably use that in some way, but I still hope she remains otherwise outmatched. And while this one's less likely, I ALSO hope Reign somehow isn't killed. Like, I can see her Samantha side coming through and killing herself for the greater good or whatever, but I hope they don't go that route. If she leaves Earth by choice like she did in the comics (and Alex takes in Ruby or something), that would be ideal, imo, because then we know there's a real threat out there that could come back and be seriously dangerous anytime. Unlike other recurring villains whom Kara has proven she can handle.

I like this idea too. These super villains should not be one-and-done. Whatever mind-set she is in at the end, Reign should be allowed to get away, or retreat, so she's not just a single season baddie.

I'm annoyed Saturn Girl isn't blonde.

are you telling me she isn't even a Telepath/Psychic either??

Well James isn't a red head either, so there is that. At least Supergirl is a blonde.

Haven’t gotten one through all the pages of this thead...but where the heck is Superman?!? Normally I wouldn’t say she needed help...but how does he not come when his cousin is getting her butt kicked?

The thing is, Reign was getting her butt kicked as much as Supergirl was. Supergirl was holding her own against Reign until the last minute or so. So Supergirl didn't really need anyone's help before that.
It was getting whacked on the head with the piece of concrete and the head butt that took Supergirl out of the fight. And by the time it was obvious that Supergirl needed help it was too late for anyone
to get there. If someone had joined the fight earlier it would just have made Supergirl angry that they didn't feel she was good enough to take on Reign by herself. Look how Supergirl took it when Superman
intervened with her fight with Reactron.

Haven’t gotten one through all the pages of this thead...but where the heck is Superman?!? Normally I wouldn’t say she needed help...but how does he not come when his cousin is getting her butt kicked?

My issue isnt with Supes not being there since he isn't 2 mins away from the action. Who knows what he is facing right now.

True, Primal. Superman has his own battles to fight. He doesn't need to be summoned every time Kara struggles in a fight, and frankly, he shouldn't. This was stressed back in "Fight or Flight," where Kara expressed displeasure with James summoning Kal when she was having difficulty dealing with Reactron:

Regardless Supergirl will need help in defeating Reign whether she likes it or not.

True, Primal. Superman has his own battles to fight. He doesn't need to be summoned every time Kara struggles in a fight, and frankly, he shouldn't. This was stressed back in "Fight or Flight," where Kara expressed displeasure with James summoning Kal when she was having difficulty dealing with Reactron:

That's a good point. The show's dramatic moments wouldn't mean much if every time Kara gets in trouble, there's a deus ex machina resolution via another hero. Supergirl has to take her lumps every so often.

Regardless Supergirl will need help in defeating Reign whether she likes it or not.

It's possible that she'll win the final battle alone, but perhaps she'll undergo some additional training and/or have some new tech when it's time for round 2.

Last edited:
It was getting whacked on the head with the piece of concrete and the head butt that took Supergirl out of the fight.

Likely a technical error vis-à-vis the superhero physics. :cwink: More nerdy trivia:

“Historically” speaking, a surprise blow from an improvised weapon (e.g., a metal pole /w concrete attached) could often knock down/stun(?) Superman or Supergirl. But no serious damage was entailed because of generalized invulnerability. And certainly, no bloody cuts or bruises could be inflicted with such an object.

Now, it does get more dicey with weapons fashioned from kryptonite. Back in the Silver Age, kryptonite - in addition to poisoning/weakening - could temporarily rob Superman of his various powers. Except for invulnerability. This explained why villains couldn’t just shoot or stab Superman after the initial kryptonite exposure. In subsequent iterations, however, this loophole was removed. And under these new “rules,” it was possible for Supes to suffer bloody injuries (assuming prior weakness via kryptonite). But absent kryptonite, the only way for Reign to inflict nasty wounds on Supergirl would be with super fists. An Earthly object/weapon wouldn’t work.

:word:

I don't take the comics as the check off for what happens or doesn't happen in the TV series. They have stated from the very beginning that though they will pull from the comics, the TV series is its own iteration and universe. So it sets its own canon. In the first season, during the Flash crossover, Silver Banshee brought blood with one of her screams....that tells me that the right hit, strength of the opponent, can bring blood.

I don't take the comics as the check off for what happens or doesn't happen in the TV series. They have stated from the very beginning that though they will pull from the comics, the TV series is its own iteration and universe. So it sets its own canon. In the first season, during the Flash crossover, Silver Banshee brought blood with one of her screams....that tells me that the right hit, strength of the opponent, can bring blood.

To be sure, the show can define “superhero physics” however it likes. :cwink: And they’re certainly not beholden to the fanciful extremes of the Silver Age.

But my geeky musings are more about consistency and internal “logic.” For instance, I take it for granted that this version of Supergirl could bust through a steel-reinforced concrete wall and emerge unscathed. Such a feat is well within her established strength and invulnerability levels. But if that’s the case, a chunk of concrete wielded as bludgeon would be equally frail. Again: consistency. Even allowing for Reign’s super strength, it’s the relative weakness of the weapon, itself, that’s the problem. :word:

To be sure, the show can define “superhero physics” however it likes. :cwink: And they’re certainly not beholden to the fanciful extremes of the Silver Age.

But my geeky musings are more about consistency and internal “logic.” For instance, I take it for granted that this version of Supergirl could bust through a steel-reinforced concrete wall and emerge unscathed. Such a feat is well within her established strength and invulnerability levels. But if that’s the case, a chunk of concrete wielded as bludgeon would be equally frail. Again: consistency. Even allowing for Reign’s super strength, it’s the relative weakness of the weapon, itself, that’s the problem. :word:

Depends all on the speed at which she is going through the wall, hands in front, knowing what is about to happen....as opposed to a sucker hit, coming at her with a massive amount of power behind it, her not knowing what is about to happen no chance of putting hands up to counter the hit.

BUT, I see your point, I just don't think that hard about it.... ;)

I'll admit getting bonked by a chunk of concrete and bleeding was a little hokey. But the headbutt was certainly plausible. I don't know, maybe it was like Solar Flare.
Supergirl expended all her energy in the fight and was losing her powers. She did pass out after fighting Superman and that fight didn't last nearly as long nor was it as brutal.
And being at night she couldn't recharge.

And she just got back from being out of the sun for quite awhile, AFTER 3 blasts from a very energized Metallo.

Yeah, I could see that. I guess its not so much a triangle, but as Kara said , "they're three good people caught in a bad situation". Its not a triangle in the sense of their being two people with an equal chance at ending up with one person.

Imra is his partner/ wife for a Mon El who's seven years older and a bit wiser, while Kara is in love with the guy Mon El used to be. Kara is an outsider to the relationship , but at the same time, she was his first love, and clearly had an effect on him becoming the man he is now.

Still, given the CW's history, I'd be stunned if it didn't turn out Mon El still had feelings for Kara and if somehow the relationship , Imra and Mon El ,won't somehow be put in jeopardy by it.

I'm 99% sure that's happening. Probably from as early as the next episode but we'll see.

It's a CW show.....nothing else needs to be said. :/

Is it possible that Reign is powered by red sun radiation? it could explain why her blows have more effect on Kara, why she's mostly out at night, and the color of her heat vision.

Is it possible that Reign is powered by red sun radiation? it could explain why her blows have more effect on Kara, why she's mostly out at night, and the color of her heat vision.

But how would she refuel so to speak?

Not if they write it closer to the comicbook iteration....she will figure out a way to send Reign on her way, IF WE GET MORE WORLD KILLERS in on this....that can come about. That is the way I would like them to go.

I have a feeling Ruby will be Reign's downfall.

I don't think I ever commented on this ep, the big fight between Supergirl and Reign was really well done, Kara just had her Knightfall moment. :wow:

I wonder how long it will be before someone realizes Sam is Reign, I thought they overplayed her friendship with Kara and Lena though, I know it's going to play into Lena finding out Kara is Supergirl and stuck between the two, but Sam hasn't been around that long to act like the 3 are sister close.

I don't think I ever commented on this ep, the big fight between Supergirl and Reign was really well done, Kara just had her Knightfall moment. :wow:

I wonder how long it will be before someone realizes Sam is Reign, I thought they overplayed her friendship with Kara and Lena though, I know it's going to play into Lena finding out Kara is Supergirl and stuck between the two, but Sam hasn't been around that long to act like the 3 are sister close.
Well, it's easier to buy her bond with Lena, since we were told they knew each other before Lena came to National City. Somehow I STILL don't think Lena's gonna find out Kara's identity though, lol. But yeah, I think she'll be the first to figure out Reign. She already had a moment in this ep noticing that something was "off" with her.

Well, it's easier to buy her bond with Lena, since we were told they knew each other before Lena came to National City. Somehow I STILL don't think Lena's gonna find out Kara's identity though, lol. But yeah, I think she'll be the first to figure out Reign. She already had a moment in this ep noticing that something was "off" with her.

If nothing else, Ruby might go to Lena and tell Lena that there is something wrong with her mom. Maybe show Lena a cell phone picture of Sam as Reign.

Just caught up with the Ep, was pretty good, but Kara seemed to get defeated too easily for me. Hopefully their next fight is a bit more even.

It won’t be even because Reign is straight-up more powerful.

I don't think Kara is ever going to defeat Reign by sheer force. I can see the showdown being that she is able to draw out Samantha's human side. If Kara learns that Reign is Samantha and that she doesn't even know what's going on, then she is definitely not going to want to hurt her. She'll be holding back out of compassion.

It will definitely not be a fight like Supergirl fighting a pure evil villain.

I don't think Kara is ever going to defeat Reign by sheer force. I can see the showdown being that she is able to draw out Samantha's human side. If Kara learns that Reign is Samantha and that she doesn't even know what's going on, then she is definitely not going to want to hurt her. She'll be holding back out of compassion.

It will definitely not be a fight like Supergirl fighting a pure evil villain.

Given how Alex told her to forget her humanity when fighting Reign I think the writers played there hand there Kara is actually going to have embrace her humanity in order to beat Reign.

Yup, humanity (both Kara's and Reign's) will be the key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"