EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chiwetel Ejiofor is Tom Hiddleston's pick for Black Panther he has said in interviews.

I'm not trying to start any conflict but really don't see what makes Aldis Hodge such a good pick for Black Panther. I watch Leverage and saw him in Supernatural and nothing about him really gave me a T'challa vibe to be honest.

He know something we don't?

He know something we don't?
Nope.

That was just his personal pick because he worked with Ejiofor before and thinks he would be good in the role. Hiddleston probably wouldn't show up in a Black Panther movie anyway and I doubt he has that much sway with the Marvel office.

I think Marvel are probably sitting on the Black Panther for now anyway. They probably have some scripts but no directors or cast so any names are speculative right now.

Maybe it's just because I watched Django Unchained. But they should just go ahead and cast Waltz as Klaw.
I mean other than "being on the nose" like terry said, there's not much downside to casting him. He's a respected actor, he has a fan base overseas and in America, and he's good at playing the villain. Besides, Hugo Weaving was pretty "on the nose" casting when it came to Red Skull and that didnt take away from his performance.

Cassel is still my top choice but I think Waltz would be the best choice

I think the thing that took away from Weaving was his terrible German accent. Plus the movie diluted his character by making him less of a Hitler devotee. I like Waltz for Klaw. He was largely wasted in Green Hornet. But even there, he did a decent turn.

Dr. Cosmic,

Regarding my 'broader canvas' comment, I was referring to Hudlin's willingness to criticize Western nations relationship with African ones. I think it's a rare thing that any writer is trying to exclude readers with their writing. Though to be fair, I do think that some writers do write for certain audiences.

It seems that Hudlin's attempts, IMO, to broaden the reading audience for Panther at the same time turned off some veteran Panther readers or some just griping fanboys in general. I doubt that Hudlin intentionally meant to exclude, though it is possible that he wasn't trying solely to cater to those readers or the general gripers either. IMO again, he was trying to introduce a new, fresh perspective for Panther. Some fans got it, some fans didn't, and others rejected it.

Darkush... Didn't you say the canvas broadness was in contrast to talking about the past or individual entities? How does dealing with African issues mean not talking about the past, or the individual perpetrators of those injustices?

Regardless, on casting:
Waltz is a good choice. I also liked him in Green Hornet. He understood the role, and he pulled off what was in some ways a serious role, even though the movie and the character arc was ridiculous.

Let's say Ejiofor for T'Challa, Waltz for Klaw. Is there any real reason not to use Djimon Honsou as T'Chaka in flashbacks/dream sequences? I can't think of any good ones.

But my question is: who else should be in this movie?
Ramonda? Shuri? Monica Lynne? Everett Ross? M'Baka? Queen Divine Justice? Zuri? W'Kabi? Batroc? Any thoughts on those castings?

Cyril Raffaeli as Batroc and Alfre Woodard as Ramonda seem the no-brainer-est.

Darkush... Didn't you say the canvas broadness was in contrast to talking about the past or individual entities? How does dealing with African issues mean not talking about the past, or the individual perpetrators of those injustices?

Regardless, on casting:
Waltz is a good choice. I also liked him in Green Hornet. He understood the role, and he pulled off what was in some ways a serious role, even though the movie and the character arc was ridiculous.

Let's say Ejiofor for T'Challa, Waltz for Klaw. Is there any real reason not to use Djimon Honsou as T'Chaka in flashbacks/dream sequences? I can't think of any good ones.

Ramonda? Shuri? Monica Lynne? Everett Ross? M'Baka? Queen Divine Justice? Zuri? W'Kabi? Batroc? Any thoughts on those castings?

I think you have to have some bigger names in the cast that are at least somewhat BO draws. He's not that big of an actor nowadays. In terms of skill he wouldnt be bad, but he hasnt really done anything of note since Blood DIamond in 2006

Regardless, on casting:

I wouldn't mind seeing actors like Naomie Harris, David Harewood, Sophie Okonedo, Paterson Josheph (Basically everyone from The No1 Ladies Detective Agency) in some supporting roles although I'm not sure who they could play though.

My dream cast hasn't changed much.

Tongayi Chirisa for T'Challa.
258207.jpg

Djimon Hounsou as T'Chaka
djimonhounsou.jpg

Jason Isaacs as Ulysses Klaw
greenzone50112medium.jpg

Laz Alonzo as Erik Killmonger
fenixss.jpg

Alan Tudyk as Everett K. Ross
alantudykx.jpg

I'd mentioned Peter Mensah as S'Yan and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as M'Baku, but considering they've been in Marvel movies already (Mensah in Incredible Hulk, Agbaje in Thor 2) maybe they should avoid double-dipping. However if Marvel wanted to, I think they're perfect for those. Especially Mensah as S'Yan. I really don't have anyone in mind for him but Mensah.

Maybe Kevin Grevioux as M'Baku if the character is just a "heavy".

kevingrevioux.jpg

Christopher Judge if it's a more realized character.
sg1s6changeling2.jpg

Viola Davis as Ramonda, mainly because she's hot right now from her Oscar nom.
violadavis.jpg

Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Monica Lynne
mv5bmtuxmjm1mzgxml5bml5.jpg

Joe Morton for N'Gassi, but I feel like the character isn't quite necessary. The role of older advisor and regent can just as easily be woven in with S'Yan.
kNBDy.jpg

Michael Clarke Duncan as Zuri seems like a no brainer...:(

Mmmmmmm. Gugu Mbatha-Raw...I would marry that woman right now if I had her in my sights. I'd pull out all kinds of black magic just to make her my wife. She's so damn gorgeous!

My dream cast hasn't changed much.

I'd mentioned Peter Mensah as S'Yan and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as M'Baku, but considering they've been in Marvel movies already (Mensah in Incredible Hulk, Agbaje in Thor 2) maybe they should avoid double-dipping. However if Marvel wanted to, I think they're perfect for those. Especially Mensah as S'Yan. I really don't have anyone in mind for him but Mensah.

Viola Davis as Ramonda, mainly because she's hot right now from her Oscar nom.

Joe Morton for N'Gassi, but I feel like the character isn't quite necessary. The role of older advisor and regent can just as easily be woven in with S'Yan.

Damn good cast. (I like that we're getting back into casting discussions)
The only thing that I could say is that Im not really sold as Alonso for Killomonger. Not sure who I would cast in his place tho

Anyway here's my cast/choice of characters for the first film. it's a little revised from the last one I made

Aldis Hodge as T'Challa/Black Panther
25k3egw.jpg

Denzel Washington as T'Chaka
2hhp16o.jpg

Jessica Lucas as Monica Lynne (she actually was on the Maria Hill shortlist for The Avengers)
6zbhiq.jpg

John Gallagher Jr. as Everett Ross
2e22iys.jpg

Djimon Hounsou as Zuri (Doesnt look like the comic character, but I think he can do the role justice)
2rojote.jpg

Danny Glover as N'Gassi
r1wz1s.jpg

Christoph Waltz as Klaw
242by84.jpg

Giancarlo Esposito as Achebe
2dufpch.jpg

Regardless, on casting:

Dr. Cosmic,

Regarding the canvas broadening, I don't think that it means you don't talk about the past or individuals who committed racist or exploitative actions in the past. I do think there is a tendency to at times just reduce racist actions to a singular organization (or small group of organizations) like the KKK or the Neo-Nazis, or just one villain. Once that villain (ex. American Panther and Hate Monger during Liss's run) is defeated, the story shifts to something else. Hudlin didn't do that. That history of colonialism and racism hung over a good deal of his run like a black cloud, permeating the narrative, or the perception of the narrative.

If anything I think Hudlin was more willing to criticize nations and societies more so (and this not something I think he did all the time or even that pointedly, though certainly more than Maberry or Liss did) than just having an obvious and on the nose racist villain or organization that everyone could just write off. His work presented a more potentially disturbing challenge for readers that could hopefully make them look at their own attitudes regarding race and review them to see how truly enlightened they were.

I like Aldis Hodge, but. . . I just can't see him doing a good T'Challa. Now, it could be he has it in him to do so, but based on his current roles? Not seeing it. Not in the way I could see Chiwetl Ejiofor doing it, or the way Denzel Washington could have done it, if it were made about a decade ago.

As a big Star Trek fan I'd love to see Avery Brooks in some type of role. I could see him being a member of the U.N. for Wakanda, or a member of the Department of Defense talking to Ross about his report. Hell for laughs they could have him as Nick Fury's brother or something. lol

Darkush... so... his canvas did include potential readers then. Okay. Do you think that all the readers who received this potentially disturbing challenge were unenlightened?

I'd mentioned Peter Mensah as S'Yan
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as M'Baku
Viola Davis as Ramonda,
Joe Morton for N'Gassi
Aldis Hodge as T'Challa/Black Panther
Denzel Washington as T'Chaka
Jessica Lucas as Monica Lynne
John Gallagher Jr. as Everett Ross
Djimon Hounsou as Zuri
Danny Glover as N'Gassi
Christoph Waltz as Klaw
Giancarlo Esposito as Achebe

That's some great casting! Gugu Mbatha-Raw is particularly inspired, and Giancarlo Esposito is awesome always. Passing on the choices I agree on, my first film plays a bit like this:

T'Challa - Chiwetel Ejiofor
chiwetel_ejiofor.jpg

T'Chaka - Laurence Fishburne
laurence-fishburne.jpg

Ulyses Klaw - Viggo Mortensen
viggo_mortensen.jpg

Monica Lynne - Anika Noni Rose
gi_80365108_anikanonirose1.jpg

Ramonda - Alfre Woodard
alfre_pic.jpg

S'yan - Morgan Freeman
morgan_freeman.jpg

Everett Ross - Anton Yelchin
AHHHILOVEHIM.jpg

M'Baka, The Man-Ape - Terry Crews
936full-terry-crews.jpg

Nakia - Kerry Washington
kw5.jpg

Okoye - Naomie Harris
naomie_harris1.jpg

Batroc - Cyril Raffaeli (District 13)
Shuri - Amandla Stenberg (Hunger Games)
W'Kabi - Wood Harris (The Wire)
Edit: Switched Okoye and Monica Lynne's actresses

Last edited:
Dr. Cosmic,

The canvas issue referred more so to how I thought Hudlin addressed the history of colonialism and racial exploitation to set his take on Panther into a historical context. Not so much about the fan base.

Now I do think he did attempt, and succeeded to some extent, at broadening the readership. In part that was because, IMO, he was willing to depict race and a black superhero in comics in a different way than we had seen before, or rarely before. One of those ways was his relatively good grasp of contemporary black American pop culture (something even Priest didn't impress me with), his attempts to gain Panther mainstream notice, and a willingness to speak bluntly about race in a way most of his contemporaries did not.

Where the critics come in. I don't think Hudlin was above criticism-no writer, artist, or creator are above criticism. So, no I don't think all of his critics were unenlightened. Now, where it comes to issues of Hudlin and race, I do think some of his critics were unenlightened. I think some were approaching Hudlin's work from a myopic racial viewpoint that couldn't recognize or empathize with an entire history of black suffering and progress that Hudlin was drawing inspiration from.

Also some of these critics were very quick to call Hudlin a racist but very silent about the near whiteout occurring in many contemporary American comics. And as I've said before, I think how Panther was depicted by Hudlin was not something some critics, who were more comfortable seeing black characters play supporting roles if any at all, wanted to see. I think that Hudlin and his take on Panther might have been seen as too uppity for them.

There are tons of white comic book characters, relatively speaking, that provide positive reinforcement for white fans while also serving as role models for non-white readers. I think Hudlin was attempting to do the same with Panther for black fans and non-black readers, but also tie him to a very real history of racial exploitation and conflict, and some of his critics couldn't compute that so some started calling him a racist to delegitimize his work.

Doc Cosmic, I think I would flip your Monica Lynne and Okoye castings. Just because I think Harris is more believable with action and Rose can definitely hold a tune.

I could see Tim Russ as S'Yan, if the character is more of an advisor.

timruss.jpg

Part of the reason I love Mensah as S'Yan is because in my ideal BP script, T'Challa defeating S'Yan in honorable combat to assume the mantle would be a major action piece. After that he assumes an advisory and confidant role for T'Challa. So ideally I'd want someone with the physicality and the acting skill to project wisdom. Easy to find actors with one element or the other, but both is harder.

Last edited:
Ha! Brilliant, agreed! The only reason I had Rose where she is is because she did the accent in No. 1 Ladies detective agency. I also had co-oped someones idea of Monica Lynne being a CIA agent and combined it with her singing thing for her to be a CIA plant, which creates a very interesting link with the history of the actual Black Panther Party, but you're right, that would be more interesting if it looks on a meta-level that Monica Lynne's actress had been hired for her singing ability. I'm going to go ahead and edit my post now, cuz it's really that great of an idea.

Darkush, did it present a potentially disturbing challenge to the readers (the fan base) or not? Were all of the challenged readers unenlightened? Do books with white leads do this?

Last edited:
I also had co-oped someones idea of Monica Lynne being a CIA agent...

That would be a pretty interesting change.

How would you want them to play that out: Lynne openly an agent assigned to T'Challa? Basically merging Lynne and Everett K. Ross?

Lynne undercover, spying on T'Challa unbeknownst to him? The dramatic tension being will he find out or will she be "turned" by T'Challa?

Or T'Challa knowing Lynne is a CIA mole and using that to his advantage? Basically both of them gaming each other?

I think the latter would be kind of awesome in that it flies in the face of a traditional superhero romance. Dramatic tension galore as they both court and lie to each other.

Monica as a CIA agent or something similar would be great. I'd like it if her superiors strong armed her into trying to get close to T'Challa just to spy on him. She doesn't want to do it, but she has to go along with it because it's her job and she'd get fired if she turns down an assignment. Near the end of the movie T'Challa acknowledges that he knows she's spying on him the whole time, and that he manipulated things a bit to get her close to him for a couple of reasons. One, he knows she's honest enough to only give them enough info to shut them up. Kinda like Sam on Burn Notice with the FBI. Secondly, he likes her, wanted to see her get ahead since she's honest, and she's not too bad on the eyes. Maybe at some point in the series she gives up the CIA to focus more on a singing career due to having too many conflicts with her superiors. That way they could keep the singer background from the comics.

Ha! Brilliant, agreed! The only reason I had Rose where she is is because she did the accent in No. 1 Ladies detective agency. I also had co-oped someones idea of Monica Lynne being a CIA agent and combined it with her singing thing for her to be a CIA plant, which creates a very interesting link with the history of the actual Black Panther Party, but you're right, that would be more interesting if it looks on a meta-level that Monica Lynne's actress had been hired for her singing ability. I'm going to go ahead and edit my post now, cuz it's really that great of an idea.

Darkush, did it present a potentially disturbing challenge to the readers (the fan base) or not? Were all of the challenged readers unenlightened? Do books with white leads do this?

I think it's up to the readers of Hudlin's run to answer that question. I already said that I do think his run could be potentially challenging to some readers where issues of race were involved. I can't say that all challenged readers were unenlightened, but from what I saw of some of the responses to Hudlin's work I think some were, though I have to wonder how many of these critics actually read his work or were just looking for something to rail at.

I do think books with white leads can challenge people too where issues of race are concerned. Though I would argue that the books with white leads rarely address racial issues, unless in a 'very special episode' format, which is relatively neatly wrapped up and not discussed again until the need for another very special issue. I think part of this comes from how race has been and is lived in America by whites and blacks, which are largely different experiences, IMO.

Hudlin is cognizant of that and I think his dipping into that well comes off as anti-white perhaps to people who are not used to, or are not aware of, or don't want to address that history. Or can't accept a view of history that doesn't support their own.

I know the internet, the media, is usually filled with voices that tell us to forget, or to get over it, and in this climate it is very difficult to explore that history because it is difficult, it is uncomfortable, it doesn't gibe with all of the good things we are told, it puts a bit of tarnish on our exceptionalism. Now, critics can call people like Hudlin names for this and stick our heads in the sand or they can maybe see if his point of view has any merit.

Darkush, I agree that not all of those who were disturbingly challenged were unenlightened. Do you see how those people may feel alienated from the book and character? Do you see how I might empathize with those people?

Now my wonderment is: Would T'Challa have been any less awesome and central if that potentially disturbing challenge had not been presented? And Do books with white leads present potentially disturbing challenges to readers on any issue at all?

That would be a pretty interesting change.

How would you want them to play that out: Lynne openly an agent assigned to T'Challa? Basically merging Lynne and Everett K. Ross?

Lynne undercover, spying on T'Challa unbeknownst to him? The dramatic tension being will he find out or will she be "turned" by T'Challa?

Or T'Challa knowing Lynne is a CIA mole and using that to his advantage? Basically both of them gaming each other?

I think the latter would be kind of awesome in that it flies in the face of a traditional superhero romance. Dramatic tension galore as they both court and lie to each other.
Monica as a CIA agent or something similar would be great. I'd like it if her superiors strong armed her into trying to get close to T'Challa just to spy on him. She doesn't want to do it, but she has to go along with it because it's her job and she'd get fired if she turns down an assignment. Near the end of the movie T'Challa acknowledges that he knows she's spying on him the whole time, and that he manipulated things a bit to get her close to him for a couple of reasons. One, he knows she's honest enough to only give them enough info to shut them up. Kinda like Sam on Burn Notice with the FBI. Secondly, he likes her, wanted to see her get ahead since she's honest, and she's not too bad on the eyes. Maybe at some point in the series she gives up the CIA to focus more on a singing career due to having too many conflicts with her superiors. That way they could keep the singer background from the comics.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I would want to make it a kind of reveal, bypassing the need to go much into how and why she took the assignment, and at the end of the film she breaks with the CIA. I guess it would add to the tension of their interaction if she was shown reporting to her superiors earlier, and holding something back, or disagreeing with her orders. I really like the idea of them courting while playing a game of secrets. That could be a LOT of fun, and really make her something absolutely incredible for the film. It also makes it more fun if the Dora Milaje are suspicious/jealous of her.

I wouldn't have Monica and T'Challa actually settle together/happily ever after. It'd be that "No, you have a kingdom to run and... responsibilities (snide look at the Dora)... my life is elsewhere..." but you still know there's unfinished business there, that whole shtick.

I would leave Everett Ross as the clear State Department wannabe-Ambassador, total scaredy-cat, where his arc is basically T'Challa teaching him to grow a pair, which is why he's accepted as an American ambassador to Wakanda because he has the gall to defend Wakanda's interests to his superiors.

I just got this crazy idea in my head for a nice echo/foreshadowing. Earlier in the film as T'Challa is telling Ross about the Black Panther Legacy all the hersay about T'Chaka is mentioned "The Black Panther can sneak up on you in broad daylight, The Black Panther has weapons that make the nuclear bomb look like sticks and stones, The Black Panther can put 1,000 men to flight by himself, The Black Panther fears nothing but his own relentless power." As the movie continues, these things become true of T'Challa so at the end when the Chiefs of Staff are all "we can't let this man usurp this asset" Ross is like "No, you don't understand... The Black Panther can sneak up on you in broad daylight..."

On S'yan, I also imagined an early fight scene being T'Challa taking the mantle of BP from S'yan via combat. I guess a Morgan Freeman stuntman wouldn't be all that convincing from a visual perspective. I'd put Djimon in there as S'Yan then. Tim Russ is awesome too though.

And those three, with T'Challa, Klaw and to some degree M'Baka, would be the core cast in my version of the film. S'yan would take that advisor role and be the mentor that gets killed. Lynne for romance, Ross for comic relief, Klaw as a crazy mastermind villain, M'Baka as the muscle villain.

Now what would be REALLY crazy is if Monica Lynne was just the cover and her actual name was Monica Rambeau or worse: Misty Knight, lol!

I dont know if I was the first to come up with it, but I did say a couple months ago that Lynne would be better if reimagined as a Government Agent

I say have her accompany Everett Ross when he comes to Wakanda and eventually she gets swept up in the plot

Viggo, Waltz and Isaacs are all three solid choices for Klaw IMO. Been a fan of Viggo in the role for months but I'd be fine with any of them if we're lucky enough to have one of them cast.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I would want to make it a kind of reveal, bypassing the need to go much into how and why she took the assignment, and at the end of the film she breaks with the CIA. I guess it would add to the tension of their interaction if she was shown reporting to her superiors earlier, and holding something back, or disagreeing with her orders. I really like the idea of them courting while playing a game of secrets. That could be a LOT of fun, and really make her something absolutely incredible for the film. It also makes it more fun if the Dora Milaje are suspicious/jealous of her.

I wouldn't have Monica and T'Challa actually settle together/happily ever after. It'd be that "No, you have a kingdom to run and... responsibilities (snide look at the Dora)... my life is elsewhere..." but you still know there's unfinished business there, that whole shtick.

I wouldn't want there to be a deliberate "reveal" moment. Like T'Challa out and out going "I know you're CIA..."

I'd want it to be Usual Suspects-like. Lynne is on the chopper out. Right before takeoff, he casually calls back something very minor she said about him in a CIA briefing. And as she's overhead, she suddenly thinks back over the events of the movie and realizes T'Challa gamed her.

I agree, no happy ever after for T'Challa and Lynne. They've always been star-crossed and the movie should be true to that.

On S'yan, I also imagined an early fight scene being T'Challa taking the mantle of BP from S'yan via combat. I guess a Morgan Freeman stuntman wouldn't be all that convincing from a visual perspective. I'd put Djimon in there as S'Yan then. Tim Russ is awesome too though.

S'yan would take that advisor role and be the mentor that gets killed.

Djimon could definitely work as S'Yan. However, the reason I'd want him as T'Chaka is because of how big I feel T'Chaka's part needs to be in terms of impact, if not screen time.

I would want the character of T'Chaka and his tenure as Black Panther kind of built up as a legend within the legend of Panthers. I'd want his death to be a major moment in the film, and for his legacy to loom large after his death. Think Mufasa in The Lion King. Because of all that, I want Djimon in that role because he has the screen presence to really pull that off.

T'Challa's character arc in the first film should be him coming to terms with the shadow his father casts and coming into his own. A lot of Black Panther's villains pop up because of breaks he makes with "the old ways". So to me, you really have to set up and show T'Challa doing his own thing against the grain to set up the conflicts with an M'Baku or a Killmonger well.

I see T'Chaka as "the mentor that gets killed". S'Yan is too important to kill off, at least in film 1. He's an audience gateway. S'Yan's the one guy T'Challa can be completely honest with, there are no facades for T'Challa to maintain with him. S'Yan also can casually explain tropes of Wakandan culture (Hetut Zeraze, Dora Milaje, etc) for the general audiences' benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"