EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are YOU face-palming for? We should be face palming.

You say the concept of a blonde thunder-god from outerspace who flies around, lifts planes and controls lightning is more realistic than an African country that uses Dr.Doom-level technology to simply defend their borders.

How is that not racist and borderline trolling?
How in the hell is my opinion racist, yet trolling. Get your head fix, cause that all in your mind, that my opinion is somehow racist or "borderline" trolling. Don't put your BS in my opinion dude. I don't appreciate that....I'm neither.

The realities are there, get over it and be honest.

Last edited:
How in the hell is my opinion racist, yet trolling. Get your head fix, call that all in your mind that my opinion isracist or "borderline" trolling. Don't put your BS in my opinion dude. I don't appreciate that....I'm neither.

The realities are there, get over it and be honest.

How is it racist???

You think Tony Stark building advanced technology in his garage is fine but not an entire African country.

What "realities" would prevent Africans from accomplishing things like Tony Stark???

I don't think anyone would care that an African nation has all of those resources. Sure I bet there are a few people who get their history lessons from Braveheart would take issue with it, but the "general audience" probably won't care as long as the movie looks good and has good action. Hollywood has a penchant for only showing the bad side of Africa instead of the more vastly realistic portrayal of it being far more modern than grass skirts, but I don't think too many people would question it. If they do then **** them. Wakanda is far more realistic than most fictional comic worlds considering that there have been many African empires before colonization on par or ahead of the curve with the rest of the world.

I'm not saying that Wakanda is real, but an advanced African nation has happened in the past while a space race of gods in the sky has no historical basis besides myth.

You twisting the point....I said nothing about his tech & resources....I'm talking about Wakanda, an African country with the worlds top tech & resources...which I guess you will say next, it is his since he is also the leader of the country.

:dry:

but you all are missing point and getting defensive over an legit opinion.

You haven't made any points. Explain why Thor is "understandable" and BP/Wakanda is not in a superhero movie universe where they just fought an alien invasion.

I want to know why people like Tony Stark and Reed Richards couldn't be born in Africa?

I'm sure there's a perfectly non-racist reason, right?

I don't think anyone would care that an African nation has all of those resources. Sure I bet there are a few people who get their history lessons from Braveheart would take issue with it, but the "general audience" probably won't care as long as the movie looks good and has good action. Hollywood has a penchant for only showing the bad side of Africa instead of the more vastly realistic portrayal of it being far more modern than grass skirts, but I don't think too many people would question it. If they do then **** them. Wakanda is far more realistic than most fictional comic worlds considering that there have been many African empires before colonization on par or ahead of the curve with the rest of the world.

I'm not saying that Wakanda is real, but an advanced African nation has happened in the past while a space race of gods in the sky has no historical basis besides myth.
Most of the media views Africa as everyone being in mud huts in grass skirts. Inside Africa on CNN is the only show I can think of that tries to present a positive image of Africa.

Most of the media views Africa as everyone being in mud huts in grass skirts. Inside Africa on CNN is the only show I can think of that tries to present a positive image of Africa.

There's also this show called Africa Live on a channel from China called CCTV as well. People really get caught up on that stereotype of Africans being behind when it's not true. I think a lot of it is willful ignorance while others is the lack of a good presentation in the media. I really do think that people would react well to a BP movie if Hollywood gave them the chance and didn't dumb it down to make it more "acceptable" for people who would take issue with a country like that.

We have the African Channel here in the UK which shows African talk shows, sitcoms, soap operas, current affairs shows, ect

It's still viewed as third world to those that haven't been there, including a lot of blacks ourselves.

Thor is suppose to be a God...that's understandable. An African nation with the worlds top resources and technology.....no one is suspending imagination on that one. Come on...don't act like you don't understand what i'm referring. Let's be real & honest.

because we black folk could never have a grasp on technology and the use of natural resources?

-A Black Engineer

It's still viewed as third world to those that haven't been there, including a lot of blacks ourselves.

There has been that trend for black people from North America/South America/West Indies to have this image of Africa thats romanticized, fetishized, and nostalgic. An uncomplicated view of Africa as a vestigial homeland awaiting the return of its lost children which I sometimes find a little uneasy.

There has been that trend for black people from North America/South America/West Indies to have this image of Africa thats romanticized, fetishized, and nostalgic. An uncomplicated view of Africa as a vestigial homeland awaiting the return of its lost children which I sometimes find a little uneasy.

Maybe back in the 1970's, at the height of the "black is beautiful" movement but now I'd say the majority of African-Americans are ashamed of Africa either openly or secretly. The media has wore us down and now African pride is almost completely erased from our collective identity.

Here's the problem with being "realistic" about Africa rather than "idealistic". When you've never been to Africa you must use something to form an opinion and often the only two choices is western media which is oversaturated with ugly images and black militant fantasies of a utopian Africa which seems to completely ignore any ugliness whether true or exaggerated.

I myself think you have to look at the good of every culture instead of focusing on the limitations. Every culture has limitations but they also all have universal truths, some form of beauty and historical importance. People need to acknowledge the good things about African culture, especially the last remaining indigenous ones, and stop obsessing on the negative traits. That doesn't help anyone.

I think that it would stretch credibility if Wakanda were the "sci-fi city of the future" variety in the movies. However, that does not mean that Wakanda can't exist, and as an advanced, modern nation. Just don't try to sell the audience on "supertech utopia that is thousands of years old," since even if they accept the premise, it just leads to bad places on any consideration.

My own preferred paradigm is "Wakanda as the Japan of Africa": Wakanda wasn't a supertech empire in the 1800s, but they were a stable nation-state with an advanced social and governmental structure. Once western explorers/colonialists made contact, however, they broke their relative-isolationism and made a push to bootstrap to "modern" tech levels so as to prevent themselves from being conquered like the rest of Africa. Throw in a giant reserve of their "magic" metal that they've used for centuries ( and that they learn to exploit even moreso as they accelerate their own development ), and the odd bits of other stuff like a ritual herb that boosts human physicality? Bam, you have a Wakanda that is credible, interesting, and doesn't come off as a bad mary sue nation.

I said before that I though Wakanda should look more like the Japan of Africa except with African inspired design mixed with some of the current futurism inspires architecture in places like the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao, Spain and City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia, Spain.
Guggenheim_Bilbao_2.jpg

valencia_spain.jpg

Wakanda should be recognizable as a place on earth and not look like Coruscant from Star Wars or another Asgard which are other worldly or science fiction heavy in design.

Maybe back in the 1970's, at the height of the "black is beautiful" movement but now I'd say the majority of African-Americans are ashamed of Africa either openly or secretly. The media has wore us down and now African pride is almost completely erased from our collective identity.

Here's the problem with being "realistic" about Africa rather than "idealistic". When you've never been to Africa you must use something to form an opinion and often the only two choices is western media which is oversaturated with ugly images and black militant fantasies of a utopian Africa which seems to completely ignore any ugliness whether true or exaggerated.

I myself think you have to look at the good of every culture instead of focusing on the limitations. Every culture has limitations but they also all have universal truths, some form of beauty and historical importance. People need to acknowledge the good things about African culture, especially the last remaining indigenous ones, and stop obsessing on the negative traits. That doesn't help anyone.

I think it's also important to see the good modern developments happening in the different African cities. I don't care much for the outdated romantic perceptions of Africa from Westerners. Yes, there's a lot of great history of kingdoms and empires, but that's still history. News channels like CNN, the BBC World, etc have been focusing on the modern developments of African peoples and it's been very informative and mostly fair. It may not give Black Americans a sense of pride or empowerment, but I don't care what they want from Africa. When Obama became president Africans thought things would change. They soon realized they still had sole responsibility for their own fate.

I don't care if people think the negative image of Africa is "honest".

Any perspective of Africa is purely subjective.

You might as well focus on the positive rather than dwell on the negative opinions of Africa and her people. That only serves a persistent white supremacist ideology and nothing else.

Why does Africa even have to be referred to as 'her'? Was it 'Mother Africa's' fault a woman got mauled by a lion a few days ago while she was making love to her boyfriend? The land can't be blamed for that.

How about just doing Wakanda the way it is in the freaking comics!

All this discussion about a totally fictional comic book nation.

Just do the Black Panther that's in the comics, it isn't rocket science!

because some people don't believe it's realistic

It's hard to sell a land-locked isolationist country with extremely limited natural and human resources as being more advanced than the global community. Countries with the issues I described are typically the poorest nations on the planet. However, comic books are a work of fiction so there is some wiggle room.

It's hard to sell a land-locked isolationist country with extremely limited natural and human resources as being more advanced than the global community. Countries with the issues I described are typically the poorest nations on the planet. However, comic books are a work of fiction so there is some wiggle room.

It's not unrealistic at all when you consider what happens during Avengers.

A blonde extraterrestrial demigod wearing a cape shooting lightning at giant intergalactic alien monsters with help from a giant green monster and a guy flying around in a robotic body suit shooting lasers.

But you think a land-locked county with advanced technology is where audiences will question the realism???

Are you guys serious??? :dry:

It's not unrealistic at all when you consider what happens during Avengers.

A blonde extraterrestrial demigod wearing a cape shooting lightning at giant intergalactic alien monsters with help from a giant green monster and a guy flying around in a robotic body suit shooting lasers.

But you think a land-locked county with advanced technology is where audiences will question the realism???

Are you guys serious??? :dry:

All of this ^^^^. I am literally laughing in tears at this. You guys are nuts for saying the audience won't believe in Wakanda.

All of this ^^^^. I am literally laughing in tears at this. You guys are nuts for saying the audience won't believe in Wakanda.

Exactly...intergalactic immortal that worships death...cool.
Wakanda...impossible
:woot::woot::woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985