Game of Thrones - HBO part 2 - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly though wasn't the perceived reaction to what happened to ned worst than the red wedding? I mean he was arguably the series lead character as opposed to rob or caitlyn.

I'm not sure why so many people are acting like this is the most extreme thing ever? I think having ned knocked off was more ballsy tbh.

Ned was the bigger surprise, due to Bean essentially being the series lead up until that point and being in all the promotional materials and so on. But, without a doubt, the Red Wedding is the more horrifying event.

Still nothing on this show has shocked me as much as Bran getting pushed out the window in the first episode. Not sure why.

It terms of violence it was more horrifying but i think sansa as well as aria being there and pretty much witnessing their fathers surprise execution was just as gut wrenching as cat and rob.

I feel rob's death was much more telegraphed than ned's as well. I was fully expecting him to be dead by season's end maybe not right at that exact moment however.

It being telegraphed adds to it, though. Ned was brought out to plead, Joffrey demanded his head, Ilyn Payne swung the sword and it was done. With Rob, the entire episode, you have that feeling that something horrible is coming your way and there's nothing you can do but sit there and wait for it to play out. Like Catelyn hearing the Rains of Castamere. Some bad **** is coming your way, and you're gonna sit there and take it.

Plus, the RW had a pregnant girl being stabbed multiple times in the belly, so...

I would think more people had these deaths spoiled for them than Ned's.

Still doesn't make it easier to swollow.

Yeah the violence played a role no doubt, maybe it's just that i'm a bit desensitized to it (tv violence that is) that it didn't effect me as strongly as others.

The belly stabbing came as a surprise and might have been a little over the top (did they even know she was even pregnant)?

TBH i and a lot of people actually missed the "rains of castamere" reference in that episode. So it wasn't really until the doors were shut and frey had that last speech start and cat saw the hidden armor that we figured serious **** was gonna down.

I would think more people had these deaths spoiled for them than Ned's.

I had no idea what was coming. :(

I'm glad I avoid spoilers, a part of me doesn't want to read the books until the series is over.

George RR Martin will be on Conan tonight if you want to tune in at 11PM

I had known about Ned's death before I started the books because Season 1 had already aired and I'd heard they killed Sean Bean's character (I didn't have HBO at the time, so I hadn't watched it). So I knew he was killed, but I didn't realize that Joffrey ordered it the way he had, so it was still shocking when I read it.

I had read the third book well before Season 2 started, so I already knew about Red Wedding. I was pretty much yelling, "WHATever!!" at the Rob/Talisa scenes because I knew all along where it was going to end up.

But when I read the Red Wedding, it was shocking as hell. I don't think it totally registered until the last lines of the chapter, where Catelyn felt the knife at her throat.

I had a friend reading them just after me, and when he got to that part, he emailed me saying, "I don't even know what I'm reading anymore..." :wow:

While I do think the show handles some things better than the books, it does occasionally leave out some rather significant things. I'm not sure if they're saving them for later, retconning them or just dropping them.

One that isn't spoiler-ish would be the fact that Karstark murdered two of Edmure's men when they killed the Lannister squires. That obviously makes Robb executing him a whole lot more justified. If I recall correctly, they don't bring that up at all.

i wish the was some boom doom boom doom.

Stop being on TV and get back to work, you old bastard!

I laughed out loud reading this response.

It is bad enough the next book got pushed back so they could pound out extra copies with the premiere of the next season.

I laughed out loud reading this response.

It is bad enough the next book got pushed back so they could pound out extra copies with the premiere of the next season.

So you think Fall 2014 for book 6?

Add about four years to that estimate and it'll probably be closer to the truth.

I was thinking another 5 to be honest, but unless GRRM has been hard at it...He is probably just riding HBO's bus and raising his profile and $$$$ right now.

We may get the last book in 2025 lol

GRRM sounds like Valve Corporation...

:csad:

He better ****ing not.

Well, this series started in 1996, and thanks to his "mereenese knot" of plotting, books 4 and 5 took 11 years to publish...

Not to mention this was supposed to be a trilogy, then expanded into a 7 book series...and now he's entertaining notions of expanding that...

I was thinking another 5 to be honest, but unless GRRM has been hard at it...He is probably just riding HBO's bus and raising his profile and $$$$ right now.

We may get the last book in 2025 lol

Well, he did say at the start of this season he was 1/4 done with it--although he's had other status updates that seemed longer, maybe 1/4 is completely done, edits and all?

Yeah, sure.

the next book will come packaged with the blu-ray for Avengers 3.

At a certain point his last few books are going to be more like novelizations for the final seasons of the TV series.

Assuming he lives long enough to write those last few books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"