Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 2 "Selina Kyle" General Discussion

so far there has been no mention of wayne enterprise........who control it?

I thought the episode was unfocused.

Penguin's mother's cameo amounted to basically nothing; the Bruce Wayne/Alfred stuff felt out of place and crammed in for the sake of fulfilling an imaginary quota; and Selina Kyle was surprisingly underdeveloped and absolutely not needed for the story the writers involved her in. Her single contribution had nothing to do with either the Dollmaker or her kidnapping.

Penguin continues to be a joy to watch and I thought the Dollmakers' henchmen were entertaining enough, I guess, but ultimately forgettable. The woman was written to be particularly dumb; why didn't she check every seat on both sides of the bus? Wouldn't she notice that the little girl she almost shot in the back wasn't among the group of frightened children?

Selina herself was played wonderfully. The actress bears a startling resemblance to Michelle Pfeiffer, as everyone and their mother have already pointed out.

I thought it was interesting that someone finally addressed why Bruce never saw a therapist, even though I don't know how I feel about the actual explanation. RE: Alfred's characterization: I find his attitude understandable to an extent, but rather rough around the edges, and surprisingly unprofessional. What did Thomas and Martha Wayne see in him?

Overall, this was an okay episode. Like the main antagonists, it was sufficient filler, but will soon be forgotten. 6.5/10.

Also (before I forget): Selina going by "Cat"? Give me a break. Stuff like that stopped being cute after like season eight of SV.

I think the tone of this show is closer to the Arkham series than either of the movie sets; pulpy and occasionally garish, high on energy and strongly set in a near dystopian Gotham, with subtlety on the back burner. As someone who enjoys a good ham and cheese entertainment provided the entire series is set to that, I like it a lot.

JPS is the only part I'm kind of iffy on. Half the time, I think she's a perfect up close view of the types of criminals who can breed the freaks like the Joker, but occasionally her character ventures off into more of a facade than a performance. And she's still got enough charisma to make me like watching her; oddly enough, I think she makes some of the stranger dialogue choices work because her character is being theatrical, and she definitely comes off as the Smug Snake villain who's dangerous, but below her own estimations in skills.

Penguin is completely a young version of Arkham's version; sociopathic, but in a way that seems more learned than genetic.

Selina was a highlight of the episode.

In summary, my friend and I had fun watching this show, in part because of its subversive nature in comparison to other procedurals, so I'm now a dedicated watcher.

I think they're pushing Bruce into being an angry young man way too quickly. His parents literally died a few days ago. As of now he should just be a sad little kid.

original.jpg

Another meh episode. Can't truly point out anything good about this episode.

Shame that I care more about the Penguin's journey than I do Gordon's, you know the main protagonist.

Those were some of the cleanest, well-fed homeless kids I've ever seen.

Gotham got something going for it. A+ welfare system!!

Show's not bad not great either, I can see it getting better though. You can kind of see where it's going pretty confident it'll end up being a pretty good show.

I think they're pushing Bruce into being an angry young man way too quickly. His parents literally died a few days ago. As of now he should just be a sad little kid.

It's been a few weeks.

Show's not bad not great either, I can see it getting better though. You can kind of see where it's going pretty confident it'll end up being a pretty good show.

Ha! I actually had the opposite reaction. I can totally see this as a one season show. By the second season, I can totally see it hitting a sophomore slump.

The tone of this show jumps so much scene to scene.

I can see why you'd say that, but I disagree. Whoever described the series as "pulpy" was more or less on the money. There isn't anything gritty or realistic (in the way of tone or presentation) about this show, and that isn't necessarily bad thing.

JPS is just ripping off Eartha Kitt in some scenes then switches to some low-rent British accent.

I liked her in the pilot. I thought she was having a little too much fun here.

The Penguin stuff is weird.

I like the idea of following him back to Gotham; they just need to make his scenes more interesing.

Montoya's face annoys me.It just does.

I'm already tired of her attitude.

Does anyone know the music that Bruce was listening to? I loved that scene.

I thought it was a random and irrelevant scene. We all know that there's darkness in that boy's heart...so of course he has to draw creepy pictures and jam out to heavy metal (or whatever that was). Talk about cheesy.

Last edited:
I can see why you'd say that, but I disagree. Whoever described the series as "pulpy" was more or less on the money. There isn't anything gritty or realistic (in the way of tone or presentation) about this show, and that isn't necessarily bad thing.

Maybe. I agree with the pulpy idea in theory but the execution isn't there.

When I see pulp/noir, I expect to see the worst in good and bad people. People doing what they have to survive and understanding it. That's what makes femme fatales so interesting.

So far, Jim Gordon is good and Penguin is bad. Bullock says he's just doing what he's got to do, but he's just a jerk so far. Mob bosses are mob bosses. Where's the grey?

No one is really doing anything noir except saying that they are.

Maybe. I agree with the pulpy idea in theory but the execution isn't there.

I can't really disagree with that, either. I know I'm supposed to take everything seriously, but they aren't presenting it in a way that allows me to do so. They've created an unintentionally pulpy tone and I don't think they've realized it. Once they do, they can either go with it or abandon it.

Huh. I guess I agree with you after all. There is some inconsistency. :oldrazz:

No one is really doing anything noir except saying that they are.

I'm not getting that vibe, either.

I'm not getting that vibe, either.
The whole "show me, don't tell me" idea basically

The idea of the Wayne's as a pillar alongside Falcone is interesting. But we haven't had any clue what Wayne Enterprises actually does/did in Gotham so who cares if they're absent. So the idea that stuff is falling apart rings hollow. Show me!!

Elegant lighting, talented actors, terrible script. There's a bewilderingly farcical tone to this show's attempts at horror, and it relies far too much on the significance of these characters to Batman fans. I'll watch out of morbid curiosity for a while longer, but so far, this is not my idea of good television.

Shame that I care more about the Penguin's journey than I do Gordon's, you know the main protagonist.

Someone finding the villain more interesting than the hero? In a piece of Batman franchise media? Well I never.

We know it's been a couple of weeks since Jim "shot" Penguin. Barbara mentions it at one point. That means a couple of weeks till the end of last week's episode, then there's also the time between the Wayne murder and the pilot ending. So I buy it for now.

Two scenarios:

Episode 2: Bruce is angry. "Why is Bruce being angry? It's too soon for that."
Episode 2: Bruce is sad. "Why is Bruce doing nothing but moping around? He's just soaking up screentime."

:o

I buy Bruce's quick transformation. It's the one bad day version of his origin where he instantly changes during the shooting.

Someone finding the villain more interesting than the hero? In a piece of Batman franchise media? Well I never.

I expect Gordon to be interesting in some way. Sue me. Other than the only good cop in town thing, he has nothing going for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"