Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 6 "Spirit of the Goat" General Discussion

It was a decent change of pace episode.For all the "freak of the week" complaints Flash has gotten,I've felt Gotham has been even more predictable.You can pretty much count on Bullock and Gordon to lay the smack down on the weekly freak-a-doo in the last act.In this case they did change things up.(Although,I did peg the hypnotist lady early on)

Cool to see some of Harvey's past.The guy that played Dix was very good.I am beyond relieved that the whole subplot of "Did Jim kill Oswald?" is over.Kind of a weak showing for Penguin this week,although it was neat to see Nygma get a decent amount on screen time.

Maybe the character of Barbara can be of interest,now that she seems liberated from the Montoya/Jim conflict.

Not much happened on the Master Wayne front.I'm dreading him meeting "Cat",but I suppose it's inevitable.

The show still hasn't really broken into "OMG,this is so fantastic!!!!!" territory for me,but it's been consistently decent.

A lot more movement on the various subplots that were previously in stand-by, and a fun change-up with Bullock being the one heavily invested in the case and a puppet master villain. And I like how again they suggested that the heroes were too late; the hypnotist lady was wounded but her arrest was still ambiguous.

I also liked how they had this episode certify Bullock and Gordon's friendship right before throwing Penguin back into it.

Written by Ben Edlund! :awesome:

Dear god, this episode was a breath of fresh air!! Dead subplots come back alive! Sidelined characters being awesome and doing stuff that matters!! Just overall movement on the plot after an eternity of going nowhere!!

I don't mean to gush, but I honestly can't think of a single scene in this episode that wasn't an unbelievably satisfying payoff of something. And that ending! Next week's episode is gonna be pretty frickin' epic.

*sighs contentedly*

Loved the episode. Probably the closest to great as the show has gotten after the pilot. And next week looks even better. Can't wait to see Fish lose her ****.

I thought the episode was nonsense really. It had all the elements about the show I don't like and not many of the elements I do like.

For those who liked it , I'm glad you liked it. It may not be I was looking for in a Gotham series, but at the very least the show has enough in it to keep me coming back week after week despite its issues.

Next week's should be interesting assuming they don't fumble it.

I did like the doctor who's plays Stan's wife on The Americans, Bullock as a disenchanted idealist, and the ending. The Bruce stuff was so brief I couldn't really say it was a positive or not.

My negatives were
* The Goat storyline
* Creeper Nygma
* Barbara/Montoya/Jim stuff

Again next week looks like it could be really good so i'm just gonna write this episode off as a filler.

Nygma miss Cringle scene : very BTAS-y

And it looks like younger Bullock was like Gordon, before becoming losing hope.
And Jim will bring it back to him

This episode was good - the last little bit was bloody fantastic!

Good epsiode.

For a minute I thought the doctor treating the goat would be Professor Hugo Strange until I remembered the therapist.

I guess Penguin isn't from a old blue blood money family who have fallen onto hard times in this version.

The scene with Nygma drinking from coffee mug reminded me of the comic strip someone posted here with "he's The Riddler" in it

I'm glad the Gordon/Montoya thing is resolved.

Bruce is back in the living room

The bad guy of the week part of the episode was good--glad the camp was kept in check.

The scene with Nygma drinking from coffee mug reminded me of the comic strip someone posted here with "he's The Riddler" in it

I'm glad the Gordon/Montoya thing is resolved.

Bruce is back in the living room

The bad guy of the week part of the episode was good--glad the camp was kept in check.

We're definitely going to see Nygma as a very sympathetic "oddball" who finally snaps. It will be a great subplot. Hopefully he starts subverting cases and then finally commits crimes, only to be called in to investigate.

I actually enjoyed this episode the most. It's nice to see Bullock used to be a hero and gives a glimmer of hope that Gordon can bring him back from the dark side. Next week should be exciting

Great episode from start to finish. :up:

I'll agree with that Twitter statement. Not that I don't enjoy Fish (I didn't expect to but she really doesn't bother me) but the lack of certain characters this week made the episode stronger.

Yeah, I actually smirked at that because of how blatant it was, and....they showed the mug twice. TWICE. :oldrazz: Anyways, to be honest, I don't mind moments like that, it's just good fun.

Last week's episode was better I felt, but the show continues to be interesting and just about good enough for me to keep watching. I do hope it improves even more though.

And the last scene with Penguin was definitely epic.

No one will ever accuse this show of being subtle, particular to Nygma. Enough. The awkward interaction with Kringle was good, but when they go to the 'ZOMG! U like riddlez!!1!' I start to throw things. His character has enough innate interest (as CMS is going good stuff there). They can really lay off continuing the heavy-handedness.

I pretty much can't stand this version of Montoya so far, which is a sharp turn from my impression in the books. The look on her face when Cobblepot strolled in was great. Hopefully, she can settle her ass down.

Good flashback on Bullock and the tension in that end scene was great.

Shouldn't Wayne freaking Manor have better security?

Enter Zsasz.

Last edited:
The Ngyma stuff was meh for me. He's more annoying than interesting, but I think Robin Taylor Lord pretty much has the market cornered in terms of scene stealing villains. The show with all of its faults has imo the best version of the Penguin in live action. He's dapper like Meredith, well spoken like BTAS version, yet has that underlying rage of Devito.

Yeah, i liked the flashback and seeing Bullock all bright eyed and bushy faced.

Ugh, why do I keep doing this to myself? I told myself I was done with this show, then I read all your reactions to this episode and watched it.

As far as I'm concerned, Harvey Bullock is a great character and literally all the rest of them in this entire show are terrible. Penguin, his mother, Gordon, Barbara, Nygma, Selina, Fish Mooney, Montoya, Allen... cringe inducing.

I wish this show were just about Bullock, because Donal Logue is the only thing it has going for it. Well, that and the visuals. It's definitely a well shot (except the pilot) show with good set design. The acting, the dialogue, the writing, the music, the tone, the pacing... gross.

Sorry for crapping on your show again guys, I'll just see myself out.

This is without the best episode of the series yet. What a great ending. I can't wait to see Montoya's and Allen's opinion on Gordon is now.

I don't have a problem with the Nygma stuff, and not sure why many seem to. If you can't handle the words "riddle" or "puzzle" popping up in converstion in reference to Nyma once in awhile or a question mark making an appearance on his tie clip/coffee mug, I don't know what to tell you. The man is obsessed with riddles, puzzles, fun facts, and figuring things out. Riddles are literally an essential part of The Riddler's schtick.

If you would prefer a character named Edward Nygma to exist on the show but never try to say a riddle or for the other characters to never mentioned his obsession with puzzles, then he would likely be the Riddler in name only and his later "transformation" would come completely out of left field, or wouldn't be earned.

It's clear what the writers and the show are going for here. Right now, Ed is pretty damn annoying, always trying to shove his riddles or puzzles on people, poking his head into matters that don't concern him to "help" or solve puzzles for others. The man clearly has a high intellect and he seems to be looking for some kind of gratification for his talents and hobby. And yet, no one is showing him any respect. In fact, people on the show are being quite mean to him and often won't even let him get one of the riddles out of his mouth before cutting him off or telling him to shut up. The show is peppering these moments into the series without it completely affecting any storylines yet.

I imagine that down the line, Nygma will find a way to MAKE people pay close attention to his riddles and intellect...as The Riddler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"