Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go into a Amy Adams is Lois Lane thread, you read people talking about Olivia Wilde at times; go into a Henry Cavil Thread, you come across either Tom Welling or Brandon Routh.

I wonder if I were to go into a Olivia Wilde Thread or TW/BR that I would read about Amy Adams and Henry Cavil then? Hmmm...

Speaking of routh and chuck this was brandon's physique on chuck. Do you think with a cavil like workout he had for MOS, he'd probably be a good deal bigger than cavil?

brandon-routh-chuck-02.jpg

It would not have the same effect. Routh's structure is different. As you can see here, he has a very long torso, which tends to make him look very narrow and un-Superman like. His pecs insert relatively high, which adds to the problem. All of this combined creates the wrong visual illusion. His shoulders and chest look smaller than they should because of his long mid-section.

True, putting emphasis on certain muscle groups can minimize structural flaws and help create certain illusions, but it can only work so much. However, anyone who has ever followed bodybuilding will tell you that genetics are supremely important. Ultimately, no matter how hard one works, how one looks is determined by the shape of their muscle bellies, insertions, and bone structure.

Just like his face, Cavill's body looks very Superman-esque in large part because of his genes.

Last edited:
Yeah, I dont really see it. Sure, he's a little too smooth, but hardly feminine.

Cavill might be the hairiest Superman we've had yet. Looks kinda funny with his chest-hairs sticking out when in suit, but I still approve. :up:

Yeah, I dont really see it. Sure, he's a little too smooth, but hardly feminine.

Cavill might be the hairiest Superman we've had yet. Looks kinda funny with his chest-hairs sticking out when in suit, but I still approve. :up:
Yeah that shot of Cavill at the end of the trailer, with his chest hair hanging out of the suit, is kind of funny looking. Not that it's a bad thing, it's that I'm just not used to it. It makes me wonder, though, if they are actually going to edit out his chest hair when he's wearing the suit. Personally I don't mind either way.

I guess it does make him look a bit more "primitive" as in primate, but I really welcome the manly look. The beard is also :up:. Would be cool to see a full-bearded Clark flying and eye-blasting away.

Routh has quite a feminine body, just saying...

I wish to have a feminine body then.

His torso doesnt look long. It was the SR suit design with small S shield, low hip briefs that make his mid section look long.

I wish to have a feminine body then.

His torso doesnt look long. It was the SR suit design with small S shield, low hip briefs that make his mid section look long.

I agree that the suit made things worse, but those shirtless shots of Routh also show that he has the illusion of a long, straight torso. Part of the problem is that his pecs insert rather high on his chest.

henry-cavill-shirtless-greenscreen-01.jpg

See how Cavill's pecs extend lower onto his ribcage and make his midsection look shorter?

While I don't agree with Caboose that Routh was noticeably shorter than Levi on Chuck, you can't trust official pics from the show, as they always made Chuck look shorter than pretty much all the other guys on the show (part of that "underdog" image). In real life, he's actually taller than Ryan McPartlin (the other guy in that pic). I'm guessing McPartlin and Routh are wearing lifts in their shoes in this pic to sell the illusion.

Here's a behind-the-scenes pic:

tumblrl1vxranr8u1qzcqgg.jpg

Chuck must've had one of the tallest regular casts on TV. Even their shortest female regular (Sarah Lancaster) was 5'8".

mcpartlin is a legit 6'5"

I always feel weirded out every time a shirtless pic of a guy gets posted in this thread. Not sure about anyone else, but I'd prefer to not see shirtless pics of guys and would much rather see topless pics of hot women. :p

As someone who thinks Routh wasn't (and still isn't) quite right for Superman, even I have to concur with you here. To suggest that the guy looks feminine is inherently asinine. :doh:

You must hang around some butchy women, just saying...
I find it hilarious how someone who's not manly-man hairy masculine is instantly "feminine." Like the fact I have barely any breasts and I have a wide ribcage (ie, barely a waist) makes me instantly "masculine". I could be a 12-year-old boy in a joking manner, but masculine? :lmao:

There's a spectrum, you do realize....

And for the record, there are quite a number of guys I've seen at the gym who have more of an hourglass waistline than I do. However, they are hourglass in the shoulders, not in the hips. Anybody with a brain would not call them feminine. Routh did not have big womanly hips either....

I always feel weirded out every time a shirtless pic of a guy gets posted in this thread. Not sure about anyone else, but I'd prefer to not see shirtless pics of guys and would much rather see topless pics of hot women. :p
Hello, you are in the Henry Cavill thread. Last I checked, Mr. Cavill is a dude and he's playing a masculine superhero. Folks are going to comment on his physique.

If you want hot women, go to the hot women thread in Community. Although due to SHH censors, you won't find topless pics there either. Sorry. :oldrazz:

Personally, i'd rather see shirtless pics of Henry... I could do without all the other shirtless guy pics tho...

If you want hot women, go to the hot women thread in Community. Although due to SHH censors, you won't find topless pics there either. Sorry. :oldrazz:

Or he could visit Amy Adams' thread to have a look at her booty in skin tight pants. (Wonder who posted that?) ::looks innocent:: :devil:

I'm just popping out to the Amy Adams thread, be right back...

MSDCARU-EC003.jpg

Burt Reynolds (and Stallone ) were in consideration for the role of Clark Kent / Superman at that time (1978) but Brando apparently vetoed them down, and Christopher Reeve was cast for Superman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078346/trivia

Edit: I am just thankful that Burt Reynolds, Sylvester Stallone and Nick Cage never got the Superman part, no matter how much "Manly" they were.

Last edited:
MSDCARU-EC003.jpg

Burt Reynolds (and Stallone ) were in consideration for the role of Clark Kent / Superman at that time (1978) but Brando apparently vetoed them down, and Christopher Reeve was cast for Superman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078346/trivia

Edit: I am just thankful that Burt Reynolds, Sylvester Stallone and Nick Cage never got the Superman part, no matter how much "Manly" they were.

Well technically Cage did get the gig but of course as we know that film never went ahead but he got god damn near close.

I too am thankful they never got to play Superman on film.

Nick Nolte was a front-runner also, until his reputation as a drunken bar-room brawler got back to the producers.

Nick Nolte was a front-runner also, until his reputation as a drunken bar-room brawler got back to the producers.

And his desire to play superman/ clark kent as a schizophrenic who believed he was two different people.

Crazy idea but part wonders about that approach

talking about physique wise jared padalecki would of been one damn imposing superman i always wondered why he was never shortlisted he has a very boy scout personality on supernatural and a decent actor

Padalecki screentested and was short listed for McG's reboot in 2003 along with Jason Behr (Roswell), Michael Cassidy (Men At Work), and of course Henry Cavill. No decision was made when McG was fired from the film.

After seeing Cavill as Superman in costume and in action makes me think that they honestly couldn't have picked a better Supes. He looks the part more than almost anyone. Can't wait to see how his acting chops have come along.

Agreed. Man the Supes casting thread was entertaining back in the day. So many random left field suggestions, basically because it's just so few actors tick all the right boxes.

We got very very lucky. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"