Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW, A Triple post.

Yeah, I kind of agree, if Routh had been allowed to bulk up with Jim Jones as trainers and given more time, he would have looked better, and that SR costume was really not the best costume for Superman.

We all should remember that Cavill himself was being considered for SR, had Singer not selected Routh, we might have got Cavill in SR.

And in order to put this discussion to rest, I have to say that Cavill looks great, he was already in good shape as his last movie Immortals required him to look like a Greek warrior, and after that he did intense training with Jim Jones people responsible for training cast of 300, so he had advantage there.

Last edited:
It was hyperbole, but as usual that went over your head. Just say that you think brighter colors are less realistic.

To you it looks horrible. To a lot of people here it looks good. I guess Snyder should listen to you, only you.
At least you're willing to admit you were lying to make a point. And yes those bright colors do not look realistic in the slightest.

routh is very good indeed. he looks more supermanish than in the movie. it was the poor make up and costume of SR.

cavill has the best physique. but with that costume, audience won't believe that it's all his. they will believe he is in a muscle suit.

It is a muscle suit. The proof that's its a muscle suit is that Michael Shannon and Russell Crowe are also wearing the same suit. Not that it being a muscle suit is a bad thing, but lets think about the actual muscle placement on the suit and how you would never see definition in that material otherwise. not with the weight of the cape, the applications on the suit itself and how it makes him look just a little bit bigger than he does in his shirtless pics.

Cavill's muscle suit is modeled after his own physique, and the fact that his muscle suit closely resembles Cavill's natural muscles, having said that his muscle suit is very good.

It is a muscle suit. The proof that's its a muscle suit is that Michael Shannon and Russell Crowe are also wearing the same suit. Not that it being a muscle suit is a bad thing, but lets think about the actual muscle placement on the suit and how you would never see definition in that material otherwise. not with the weight of the cape, the applications on the suit itself and how it makes him look just a little bit bigger than he does in his shirtless pics.
I think looking at Shannon and Crowe is evidence that Cavill isn't wearing much of a, if any, muscle suit. Shannon looks rail thin and Crowe looks fat. It seems to take the shape of the person's body very closely.

There is definitely a muscle suit of some sort. I still contend that Cavill has the best build of any Superman so far -- not necessarily the biggest but the best.

I find a lot of that has to do with his broadness of his back and, as hopefulsuicide pointed out, his height. They give him a certain thickness that the others haven't had.

You know what i'm starting to think?

That Cavill's height being less than the others is actually a positive in how he looks proportionally. Like their bodies being longer means they don't like as wide to my eye somehow.

Its not so much an effect of height, but shoulder width.

Some people have wide clavicles bones giving a wider shoulder width. This is not yet including the amount of muscle on the shoulder.

supermanpics.jpg

See the vein in the arms ? No suit will show that unless it is a muscle suit, the natural muscles and veins do not show up, all the definitions gets lost beneath the fabric of the actual suit.

For me the biggest giveaways are the abs.

At least you're willing to admit you were lying to make a point.

Lawl. I was trying to say that I don't fancy the colors on the suit as seen on those set pics. At least not that "blue". I don't know why you have to be sooo dramatic...

And yes those bright colors do not look realistic in the slightest.

lol yeah, I'm not sure what this means.

supermanpics.jpg

See the vein in the arms ? No suit will show that unless it is a muscle suit, the natural muscles and veins do not show up, all the definitions gets lost beneath the fabric of the actual suit.

That is exactly why there has to be a layer like that.

There is not way a human could actually look like Superman in an outfit with skin tight clothes, as Superman's detail would not compress likes a humans would. That and we cannot actually make a material that pulls itself into the detail the way that suit is designed to look like it is doing.

Even if the suit is 1/2 inch (1.27cm) thick it would still make the guy in it look bigger as that layer all the way around adds up.

For the scenes where Cavill will be Shirtless early in the movie, he will be filmed from angles and distances that make him look as muscular as possible (a lot of prep and thought goes into every tiny detail on screen in any movie of this sort), so that there does not look to be any major difference in how big he is in and out of the suit. Sure, it will be an illusion, but it is a movie after all.

supermanpics.jpg

So it has a vein suit? Good to know.

For me the biggest giveaways are the abs.
Yes, the abs are definitely a muscle suit. I'm sure they will get rid of the awful looking wrinkles around the fake abs in post production. But the abs seem to be evidence that the rest of the body isn't a muscle suit. Why would the abs looks so obviously fake when the rest of the muscle look so natural? Got cheap when it came to abs? The reality is that abs do not show up (i.e., the definitions aren't as pronounced) naturally like muscle in arms and shoulders. Thus, a specific need to create fake abs.

Yes, the abs are definitely a muscle suit. I'm sure they will get rid of the awful looking wrinkles around the fake abs in post production. But the abs seem to be evidence that the rest of the body isn't a muscle suit. Why would the abs looks so obviously fake when the rest of the muscle look so natural? Got cheap when it came to abs? The reality is that abs do not show up (i.e., the definitions aren't as pronounced) naturally like muscle in arms and shoulders. Thus, a specific need to create fake abs.

But I would say it's more than just an abdominal suit.

supermanpics.jpg

In the right picture, look at the sharp bevels under his pecs and in his shoulder.

Now, I'm not, not, NOT, taking anything away from Cavill. The guy has transformed himself no doubt. The muscle suit is only there to make the costume pop more - that's it. It's a way to make his hard work pay off a little more instead of it being buried and unnoticeable -- kind of like in SR.

But I would say it's more than just an abdominal suit.

supermanpics.jpg

In the right picture, look at the sharp bevels under his pecs and in his shoulder.

Now, I'm not, not, NOT, taking anything away from Cavill. The guy has transformed himself no doubt. The muscle suit is only there to make the costume pop more - that's it. It's a way to make his hard work pay off a little more instead of it being buried and unnoticeable -- kind of like in SR.
I think the suit is VERY thin. Otherwise, the wrinkles around the abs wouldn't be so apparent. If it were a thick rubber, it would not wrinkle so many times in such a manner around the abs, the left shoulder (in the left pic), or the inside of the elbow. I'd probably say the material is about 1/16" thick and as malleable as a medium thickness tarp. For that reason definition will show through very easily and it will not be constricting. Contrast that with Routh's suit which was very thick and constricting -- you almost never saw wrinkles in the suit.

Muscle suits really should just be called definition suits cause really they just show definition of a muscle they don't add any muscle

routh is very good indeed. he looks more supermanish than in the movie. it was the poor make up and costume of SR.

cavill has the best physique. but with that costume, audience won't believe that it's all his. they will believe he is in a muscle suit.

Not necessarily. We do know that there will be at least one action scene in the movie where he is shirtless. I am certain they will be filming him from camera angles and distance that makes him look as muscular as possible.

Many perspectives will, when combined with close camera distance give the illusion of having larger muscles, as the image is stretched out visually.

Best example I can give is of Arnold Schwarzenegger in the beginning of T2. At this point he was already 44 years old, and was all the way down to under 220 pounds. In the opening scene he looked 250 pounds, and far larger than he looked on behind the scenes set pictures and candid shots.

Obviously I’m not expecting Cavill to look as big as Arnold (and I need to say it because inevitably someone has to use a strawman argument) Nobody thinks he should look Arnold T2 big in MOS, but Cavill will appear to be as big shirtless as he is in the suit as Superman. Even if behind the scenes images you can see some difference.

No movie of this sort is filmed with point and click filming. Every single detail is taken into close scrutiny to get the right outcome on film.

So it is easily possible that there will be an illusion of a shirtless Superman who looks so muscular that when they transition into showing him in the costume there does not appear to be any difference in muscularity.

That's one of the reasons they will have a couple of shirtless scenes in the film -- so that audiences will know that Cavill's physique is the real deal -- in and out of the Superman costume. As I'm sure you already know, response to the previously released images of Cavill looking jacked has been overly positive. Put it this way. When Batman Begins initially came out, Bale's physique in the early training scenes was frequently commented on and praised. Now, what Cavill has done over the last eight months clearly puts Bale's physique (in BB) to shame.

That's one of the reasons they will have a couple of shirtless scenes in the film -- so that audiences will know that Cavill's physique is the real deal -- in and out of the Superman costume. As I'm sure you already know, response to the previously released images of Cavill looking jacked has been overly positive. Put it this way. When Batman Begins initially came out, Bale's physique in the early training scenes was frequently commented on and praised. Now, what Cavill has done over the last eight months clearly puts Bale's physique (in BB) to shame.

Don't know about that, its' a close one:

Bale in BB

bale_begins_batman.jpg

Cavill in MOS

hcoff.jpg

Last edited:
Bale is a bit fatter than Cavill in BB.

When Batman Begins initially came out, Bale's physique in the early training scenes was frequently commented on and praised. Now, what Cavill has done over the last eight months clearly puts Bale's physique (in BB) to shame.

You are conveniently ignoring the fact that before Batman Begins Bale did The Machinist , he had to achieve the look in very short period of time after being really skinny, that is very difficult thing to do.

christianbalebatmanbegins.jpg

In case of Cavill he already was in good shape in Immortals then he moved on to MOS, so he had some advantage there.

wpid-CineplexMag_immortals.jpg
henry-cavill-shirtless-man-of-steel-10142011-lead.jpg

Not necessarily. We do know that there will be at least one action scene in the movie where he is shirtless. I am certain they will be filming him from camera angles and distance that makes him look as muscular as possible.

Many perspectives will, when combined with close camera distance give the illusion of having larger muscles, as the image is stretched out visually.

Best example I can give is of Arnold Schwarzenegger in the beginning of T2. At this point he was already 44 years old, and was all the way down to under 220 pounds. In the opening scene he looked 250 pounds, and far larger than he looked on behind the scenes set pictures and candid shots.

Obviously I’m not expecting Cavill to look as big as Arnold (and I need to say it because inevitably someone has to use a strawman argument) Nobody thinks he should look Arnold T2 big in MOS, but Cavill will appear to be as big shirtless as he is in the suit as Superman. Even if behind the scenes images you can see some difference.

No movie of this sort is filmed with point and click filming. Every single detail is taken into close scrutiny to get the right outcome on film.

So it is easily possible that there will be an illusion of a shirtless Superman who looks so muscular that when they transition into showing him in the costume there does not appear to be any difference in muscularity.
just by the images, i think cavill looks bigger/better than arnold.!!!

btw, my previous point is... what is the point to have the jackass physique when you can have the muscle suit to do all the tricks.

You are conveniently ignoring the fact that before Batman Begins Bale did The Machinist , he had to achieve the look in very short period of time after being really skinny, that is very difficult thing to do.

In case of Cavill he already was in good shape in Immortals then he moved on to MOS, so he had some advantage there.
No. He finished Immortals quite a while ago. He filmed at least 2 movies after that. As I recall, the role prior to MOS was one in which he was told to put on some weight and lose all his muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"