Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry CAVILL is huge...

He is the biggest Superman we have ever had...

Henry-Cavill-Shirtless-Man-Steel-Set-Pictures.jpg

not to be cotradictory again but that honor would go to Kirk Alyn
Superman.ffffffkirkalyn.gif

But the others were not exaclty resting on their laurels
superman218.jpg

Chris Reeve
rfkworkout2ew7.jpg

Brandon Routh
531100541_7d45ef2991.jpg

Dean Cain
shirtless-tom-welling-showing-chest-muscle.jpg

Tom Welling

not to be cotradictory again but that honor would go to Kirk Alyn
Superman.ffffffkirkalyn.gif

But the others were not exaclty resting on their laurels
superman218.jpg

Chris Reeve
rfkworkout2ew7.jpg

Brandon Routh
531100541_7d45ef2991.jpg

Dean Cain
shirtless-tom-welling-showing-chest-muscle.jpg

Tom Welling

I think he looks bigger than all of them...

And I said nothing about the others resting on their laurels... I just said I think Cavill is the biggest Superman we've had, so critisizing him for not being big enough seems strange to me.

But it's become completely obvious we just don't see things the same.

Last edited:
Kirk was a big guy but the sweater stile costume made him look bigger Cavill has put his heart into this role and has the look Reeve always looks good as Supes but couldnt bulk up enough because he was too long Routh could've looked much
better but that was Singer's fault.

Routh doesn't look like Superman to me.

Does that make sense.

The funny thing is your Superman avatar, and the picture posted above of Brandon smiling look identical to me.

35949_10150213456165262_10150131491105262_13694830_8129773_n.jpg

Last edited:
The funny thing is your Superman avatar, and the picture posted above of Brandon smiling look identical to me.

35949_10150213456165262_10150131491105262_13694830_8129773_n.jpg

And other than the fact they are both smiling, I don't see it...

Huh, Go figure :dry:

Superman looks almost exactly like Cavill in that pic.

:hehe:

and also... heck yeah!

cavilsuperman.png

The cheekbones, the jaw, the chin, the natural curl on his forehead. Even his nose is the right shape and angle :p

Last edited:
Routh has always reminded me of a buff Jason Scwartzman. That combined with his wooden/poor acting, and feminine body shape just turns me off to the whole notion of him as Superman. Plus, he just doesn't have it in the eyes. Even Welling shows a certain wisdom, energy, determination, warmth in his eyes that Routh lacks. Added to that, Routh ends up looking like a blow up doll with blue contacts. All in all, I don't see what the big deal about him is. Cavill is infinitely a better choice and will probably equal or surpass Reeve.

Okay who opened the can of worms? I was saving them for the holidays. :p

Kirk was a big guy but the sweater style costume made him look bigger Cavill has put his heart into this role and has the look Reeve always looks good as Supes but couldnt bulk up enough because he was too long Routh could've looked much
better but that was Singer's fault.

Exactly. Like you said, Kirk was a big guy, but he clearly lacked that defined, muscled look a Superman actor should have (at least in this day and age). Here's a better look at the sweater style costume you made reference to.

lj7s3vxul3i9ux3s.jpg

In my opinion, Cavill has achieved the best physique so far for the role of Superman when you combine both his mass + definition. Welling is up there too, but, over the years, he seemed to lose definition as he gained mass rapidly. Routh's physique was decent as well. Unfortunately, it wasn't helped by the poorly designed Superman Returns costume. My thoughts.

First this thread is about Henry Cavill, I am sure that he will be a convincing Superman.

Routh's features have matured quite a bit from the time he did SR, now he has more square jaw, thick neck.

brandon-routh-anna-kendrick.jpg

And the way he looked as Superman was due to Costume and Singer's instructions to stop working out any more cause they already had a certain look for Superman and made his costume before he could train fully.

It's cartoonish coloring.

The colors [seen on the SFX magazine cover] are vibrant; and that makes the suit look even better I think. That said, I expect an added measure of quality from Snyder's camp when they do their official color corrections. The only real complaint I have with the suit right now is that it looks sort of dull and murky. Here's hoping the brighten it up somewhat.

Would you prefer muted tones ala SR? Black perhaps? The colors suit the comic book character that Superman is. Most fans would be thrilled with those colors.
If I wanted to look at a comic book, I'd pick up a comic book. I don't want it to look like a comic book. I want it to look like a live action movie. I want it to look like this:

superman1m.jpg

The color correction on that magazine cover was absolutely hideous.

If I wanted to look at a comic book, I'd pick up a comic book. I don't want it to look like a comic book. I want it to look like a live action movie. I want it to look like this:

superman1m.jpg

If there's one thing I trust about Snyder, it's his artistic eye. I'm confident whatever he delivers will look good on screen.

superman1m.jpg

I'm sorry my dear, but I suppose this is the part where you say that certain colors are not "realistic", yes?

I think you will be disappointed if you expect the super suit to look almost purple...

I'm sorry my dear, but I suppose this is the part where you say that certain colors are not "realistic", yes?

I think you will be disappointed if you expect the super suit to look almost purple...
I'll be more disappointed if it looks like horrible photoshop coloring. And if you think that's purple you need to adjust you monitor. A low quality monitor might explain why you thought the magazine cover looked good.

bluevpurple.jpg

Last edited:
If there's one thing I trust about Snyder, it's his artistic eye. I'm confident whatever he delivers will look good on screen.
Agreed, which is why I am 100% confident it will look nothing like that magazine cover.

But it doesn't look purple?

It looks like this:
page02.jpg

And I love it!

Routh has always reminded me of a buff Jason Scwartzman. That combined with his wooden/poor acting, and feminine body shape just turns me off to the whole notion of him as Superman. Plus, he just doesn't have it in the eyes. Even Welling shows a certain wisdom, energy, determination, warmth in his eyes that Routh lacks. Added to that, Routh ends up looking like a blow up doll with blue contacts. All in all, I don't see what the big deal about him is. Cavill is infinitely a better choice and will probably equal or surpass Reeve.

I'd tend to agree. I was a bit of a Routh apologist, and blamed any shortcomings on his SR performance on Singer and his direction/script. Despite any criticisms posted earlier about his jaw, he is a big, dark-haired handsome guy, and his face is close enough to comic renditions for him to pass easily as Superman ............ so I was pretty sold on his look, dodgy suit or not.

However, after watching Dylan Dog, Scott Pilgrim, Chuck, Unthinkable and Zack & Miri, I just think he has no range. He can act - at a basic level - and can do action, and he has some onscreen presence, but his line delivery is monotone and he seems to have very little variety in facial expressions or sound. Change his hair colour, his clothes, whatever, and he still looks like he really isn't enjoying being there. I've only come to realise this after actually watching him in a few different productions.

From what little I've seen of Cavill so far, he seems to have far more range and much better delivery so I'm pretty optimistic we're going to get a performance with much more impact.

You know what i'm starting to think?

That Cavill's height being less than the others is actually a positive in how he looks proportionally. Like their bodies being longer means they don't like as wide to my eye somehow.

I'll be more disappointed if it looks like horrible photoshop coloring. And if you think that's purple you need to adjust you monitor. A low quality monitor might explain why you thought the magazine cover looked good.

bluevpurple.jpg

It was hyperbole, but as usual that went over your head. Just say that you think brighter colors are less realistic.

To you it looks horrible. To a lot of people here it looks good. I guess Snyder should listen to you, only you.

I would prefer a brighter shade but definitely NOT more vibrant -- that is important. I felt SR was close it may have needed to be toned done a bit. The shade they used in Captain American may have looked nice.

That being said, I like the MOS suit and have a feeling the colors will fit nicely into Snyder's world.

Last edited:
First this thread is about Henry Cavill, I am sure that he will be a convincing Superman.

Routh's features have matured quite a bit from the time he did SR, now he has more square jaw, thick neck.

And the way he looked as Superman was due to Costume and Singer's instructions to stop working out any more cause they already had a certain look for Superman and made his costume before he could train fully.

routh is very good indeed. it was the poor make up and costume of SR.

cavill has the best physique. but with that costume, audience won't believe that it's all his. they will believe he is in a muscle suit.

routh is very good indeed. he looks more supermanish than in the movie. it was the poor make up and costume of SR.

cavill has the best physique. but with that costume, audience won't believe that it's all his. they will believe he is in a muscle suit.

routh is very good indeed. he looks more supermanish than in the movie. it was the poor make up and costume of SR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"