Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if it was 2 movies (pretty sure 'Whatever Works' was before Immortals), but he did have to get a more 'normal' body for Cold Light of Day.

Which came out looking like this:

cavill4.jpg

However I'd say Bale prob did have a harder time getting from The Machinist skinny to Batman bulk, compared to Cavill getting from normal but 'big' guy to Superman.

But whatever.

They're both incredibly dedicated to the physical aspects of their roles, and put in a lot of hard work to get the body needed to properly do their character justice... Let's just be happy we got both of them!

Last edited:
Cavill's phsyique for MOS is already fantastic. It's probably the closest yet seen in any Superman live action property to how Superman actually looks in the comics - quite ripped, big shoulders, very narrow waist. Powerful looking.

But you know what, after Snyder puts the film through post production he's going to look even more impressive.

Look at Gerard Butler in 300 - the guy worked out solidly for months before the film and his physique looked great. But there's still a noticeable improvement between an ordinary set pic, and a post production pic which uses shadows, shading and lighting to enhance the muscles and proportions. I can't wait to see how Cavill looks in the film.

450300wallpaperbypudgetwv7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing those pics of Cavill, I hope that the mild-mannered reporter persona will look believable.

just by the images, i think cavill looks bigger/better than arnold.!!!

btw, my previous point is... what is the point to have the jacked physique when you can have the muscle suit to do all the tricks.

Because the suit is limited. One, there needs to be a layer of definition added to the suit, so really it is more of a detail suit, but because it is a layer you will still look a little bigger in it than out of it.

When the suit is providing all of the muscle mass the muscles will not move right. The human eye is very good at noticing oddities in movement. So when a guys biceps don’t flex right, or remain flexed when they should not be, or the shoulders look too round in the wrong position etc... It looks wrong and we cannot suspend our disbelief.

When the actor is very muscular, and the suit is only a layer of detail, the real muscles under that layer provide a lot of the movement, and so it looks more convincing in the post edited film.

The other reason is that you still have get the audience to buy the idea its not a big fake muscle suit plopped on a scrawny actor. For this they need the actor to actually have large muscles with lots of definition. If he is not quite as big as he looks in the suit, they can still film him from the correct angles and distances to give him the illusion of being just as big as he is in the suit.

The end result convinces the general audience that the character they are watching on screen happens to only be wearing a skin tight costume. Its a more convincing illusion.

So there are the reasons for the actor to be in really good shape, and not to have the suit providing all of the muscle.

Seeing those pics of Cavill, I hope that the mild-mannered reporter persona will look believable.

He will. For a guy to look like a bodybuilder in a suit he would need to be FAR bigger than most people first assume.

Cavill looks less muscular in loose fitting clothing that he does shirtless.

There is a certain point of mass where you do start to look huge even in a business suit, but that point has to be much larger than most people think.

Besides Clark can still be a big guy. He does not need to look skinny, he only needs to look smaller/less impressive than Superman.

Big guys are a dime a dozen, most of them do not look ripped when the clothes come off however.

I think Amy's Lois should see Clark shirtless in the movie. Maybe they'd get it on, or something - which I wouldn't mind seeing for the hotness that is Amy. :p At least it'd be a reason for Lois to see Clark as more than just competitive bait - I know Smallville and L&C did this but there's been a serious lack of Lois having an interest in Clark in the movies (just one of the reasons I hated SR, as Lois treated Clark like a stranger off the street).

I was just doing some random search the web for anything remotely Cavill related, when I found this:

955024_115209_front.jpg

[YT]HV7OtPV65Mk[/YT]

And here was me thinking he was engaged to a slightly famous show jumper... no, he's engaged to the star of a video game!!!! :p :hehe:

Did you guys know about this? I'm sorry, I just think that's so awesome :D Plus I didn't realise she was THAT famous in the horsy world.

EDIT: OMG Strike that... TWO video games!

DVDs0_0993441.jpg

Last edited:
I was just doing some random search the web for anything remotely Cavill related, when I found this:

And here was me thinking he was engaged to a slightly famous show jumper... no, he's engaged to the star of a video game!!!! :p :hehe:

Did you guys know about this? I'm sorry, I just think that's so awesome :D Plus I didn't realise she was THAT famous in the horsy world.

Good for her she can ride a Horse, she can't drive for a while... :cwink:

cavill has the best physique. but with that costume, audience won't believe that it's all his. they will believe he is in a muscle suit.
That's why it's a good thing we'll have those shirtless scenes in the movie, then. The muscles in the "definition" suit were clearly taken from a mold of Cavill's actual muscles (that vein and all!), so when the audience sees the shirtless scenes, that will sell the illusion of the muscle suit NOT being a muscle suit. Well played, Snyder.

:hehe: So I take Ellen is also a horse-themed crimefighter solving horse mysteries. :o

LOL, she's a cute girl and I'm sure she's sweet. But I saw those video games and LOLed hard.

You are conveniently ignoring the fact that before Batman Begins Bale did The Machinist , he had to achieve the look in very short period of time after being really skinny, that is very difficult thing to do.

Actually I'm not "conveniently ignoring" anything of the kind. My point is this. Bale's physique (in my view) wasn't quite as well defined as Cavill's is right now, and he was still praised for what he was able to accomplish in such little time. Now, when you consider that Cavill has surpassed Bale's look in terms of physicality to some degree, it's hard to imagine how audiences, having been exposed to one or more shirtless scenes in the new MOS film, would have a hard time accepting the fact that Cavill truly is in fantastic shape -- definition suit or not.

Having said that, I acknowledge that I was clearly off in suggesting that Cavill's new physique "puts Bale's (in Begins) to shame". That was a bit strong. I definitely give Bale props for his miraculous transformation and dedication to Batman Begins several years back.

That's why it's a good thing we'll have those shirtless scenes in the movie, then. The muscles in the "definition" suit were clearly taken from a mold of Cavill's actual muscles (that vein and all!), so when the audience sees the shirtless scenes, that will sell the illusion of the muscle suit NOT being a muscle suit. Well played, Snyder.

You explained that so perfectly! I had to bring up Bale to get my point across and still wasn't entirely successful in doing so; and then you come along and hit the nail right on the head. :doh::oldrazz:

955024_115209_front.jpg

[YT]HV7OtPV65Mk[/YT]

DVDs0_0993441.jpg
she is a drunk driver, convicted too recently actually

Don't know how anyone can call Bale "fat" in the pic above. :doh:

....someone said Bale was fat in that pic??.............WTF?????? Bale and Cavill are probably the only actors to have the physical build required for there respected roles, everyone else was either close or had alot of help *coughBatmanForeverBatman&Robincough* lol

Snyder is a pro when it comes to visuals. He learned from the previous Supes films, that he needs to step it up when it comes to giving us a visually stunning Superman suit this time around!

....someone said Bale was fat in that pic??.............WTF?????? Bale and Cavill are probably the only actors to have the physical build required for there respected roles, everyone else was either close or had alot of help *coughBatmanForeverBatman&Robincough* lol

Not exactly. Someone (JAK to be precise) said that Bale looks "a bit fatter" than Cavill in the pic. I think he was trying to convey that Cavill is somewhat leaner and more defined; that's all. On a side note, though, Bale actually was fat when he first appeared on the set of BB. He was advised by Nolan to lose a little weight and tone up, which he continued to do throughout the production much to the costume department's dismay. (They had to keep making adjustments.) True story.

You explained that so perfectly! I had to bring up Bale to get my point across and still wasn't entirely successful in doing so; and then you come along and hit the nail right on the head. :doh::oldrazz:
Aw thanks, and no worries - some of us got what you were saying, and this place goes off on tangents all the time. That's par for the course on the Hype. :yay:

she is a drunk driver, convicted too recently actually

Yes. We know.

Though to put this in perspective, we're not talking about some party head who got rip roaring drunk and took her jaguar for a speeding session on the motorway.

She made a stupid mistake and underestimated the effects of what she thought was a legal amount to drive on because she hadn't eaten, turned back halfway home through country lanes when she realised she perhaps shouldn't be behind the while and headed for a friends house nearby, which is where she was going when the police stopped her.

Not condoning what she did (and it very much supports my philosophy of 'why drink AT ALL when your driving), just think there are varying degrees of drunk driver, some of whom put a lot more lives at risk - she's certainly not the worst of them.

Last edited:
Don't know how anyone can call Bale "fat" in the pic above. :doh:
There's a difference between saying "he has more body fat than the other guy" and "he's the fattest thing I've ever seen".

JAK®;22109657 said:
There's a difference between saying "he has more body fat than the other guy" and "he's the fattest thing I've ever seen".

Of course Bale has more bodyfat. He readily admitted to having to dirty bulk in order to be big enough in time for the shooting of Begins. He even overdid it and they called him "Fatman" on set until he shed fat during rehearsals/shooting. I don't know why people would object to what you said. However, he did get pretty lean by the time they shot the pushup scene so the difference is the least notable there.

JAK®;22109657 said:

Of course Bale has more bodyfat. He readily admitted to having to dirty bulk in order to be big enough in time for the shooting of Begins. He even overdid it and they called him "Fatman" on set until he shed fat during rehearsals/shooting. I don't know why people would object to what you said. However, he did get pretty lean by the time they shot the pushup scene so the difference is the least notable there.

The reason is that people on the boards love to use "straw man" arguments.

It’s a tactic of politicians and con men. Essentially stuffing an argument in the others persons mouth, one they did not actually say, and is easy to knock down.

In the example above JAK did not say Bale was "fat", he meant Bale had a higher bodyfat% in BB, than does Cavill in MOS.

He never said Bale has a high % of bodyfat, it simply looks 2-3% more than Cavill has.

By doing the whole "I don’t know why anyone would call him fat" that is attacking a point that JAK never actually made.

Straw man is a very common argument fallacy on the boards.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/strawman.html

The other really common one is ad-hominem which is a personal attack to discredit the speaker. "you only think that because you are a newb", OR "people who like Byrne’s Superman are not real Superman fans".

The reason is that people on the boards love to use "straw man" arguments.

It’s a tactic of politicians and con men. Essentially stuffing an argument in the others persons mouth, one they did not actually say, and is easy to knock down.

Don't forget girlfriends. :oldrazz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back