The Force Awakens How would you rate TFA?

10 and second best star wars movie behind return of the Jedi. I was mixed after the first time felt like it was new hope 2.0 but after the second time watching it I loved it way more and it is not just new hope 2.0.

A solid 8/10

That is the highest score I can give a derivative movie. But the characters are excellent and elevate the movie.

Yep. It's not particularly memorable to be honest, but the film is solid and serviceable. The best thing is that they have a good bunch of characters and TFA provides a good base to launch from.

5 for me, tops. I can't get too excited over the same story and plot lines I've seen before. It lost even more points for having ZERO screen time between Han and Luke.

I get why people love it, I just wanted something a little more original.

I really recommend a second viewing. I was a bit underwhelmed on my first viewing too, but the second time around was a lot better and it allowed everything to sink in more. I went from a 7.5 to teetering between an 8.5-9 from my first to second viewing.

Unfortunately for me a second viewing won't add any screen time with Han and Luke. I'll probably wait till its on cable to see it again. Hopefully I'll like it a little more.

The more I think about TFA the more I like it.

I'm going to wait for my second viewing before giving a rating though.

Right now I'm leaning toward an 8.5.

I give it an 8.5/10. It has problems but its good parts overshadow them.

Initially it was 7, then dropped to a 6, and then a 5 when I realised just how many plot holes there were.

The film was too unoriginal in that it borrowed way too many elements from the previous movies and raises more questions than answers.

Yep. It's not particularly memorable to be honest, but the film is solid and serviceable. The best thing is that they have a good bunch of characters and TFA provides a good base to launch from.

Episode VII will ultimately decide whether my score for this movie increases or decreases. JJ made a derivative launch pad for Star Trek and got a pass from me because the promise was you would see new and fresh things with the sequel. Well, Into Darkness was an out and out rip off of Wrath of Khan. So TFA gets a pass for this movie but if E8 is a ESB rip off it will mean the Star Wars film makers have run out of ideas.

Last edited:
9.5 leaning towards 10 for me. It did something that I didn't think was possible, which was bring back the magic and the good will I have felt towards Star Wars that I have felt since I first saw A New Hope in 1984 on VHS, and that was all but wiped away by the underwhelming disheartening experience of forcing myself to watch the prequels. This was Star Wars again. Everything that made Star Wars stand out. It was a lived in world with likeable characters again. As opposed to the cold computer generated world with characters as bland and lifeless as the computer generated environments that they inhabited. The movie also honored and brought back the heroes journey Joseph Campbell trope that made the original trilogy so memorable and resonate so deeply. I don't agree with the "only a rehash/reboot of a New Hope criticism at all. Loved it and can't wait to see it again.

As someone said earlier, it's a solid fan service film with enough original beats to make it entertaining. But I don't think it will be remembered for anything more than how much money it makes.

Hopefully Ep 8 & 9 are a bit more original.

Day I watched it I would have rated it a 7.5, now I've had some distance from it and I've spoken in depth with a few people I'd give it a solid 8

Definitely liked it a lot more after a second viewing. I guess I expected something a little different the first time.

9/10

An 8, along with Return of the Jedi. Though a hair better. A couple hairs, actually.

Just saw it. My detailed thoughts.

Positives:
-All the new characters are great. Totally on board for their journeys.
-So many great story moments and surprises throughout
-Great energy, humor, joy
-Effects, cinematography, etc.
-So many interesting questions moving forward.

Negatives:
-The Starkiller base stuff feels too divorced from the main plot and the main characters' motivations. Unlike in Ep4, the base isn't part of the message or the inciting incident, yet the shot of it exploding got way more emphasis. Felt flat, not satisfying. The moment of them destroying the shields needed to be more heroic or triumphant. Rey and Finn's journey in this movie didn't have a satisfying climax.
-Damaron hasn't had enough of a story with the main characters for his scenes in the attack to feel warranted, unlike say...following Lando in the attack in RoTJ. Damaron's role was very odd too. The movie starts with a lot of emphasis on the character just for him not to be a main one.
-Some of the comedy undercut some of Ren's menace.
-Missing some breathing room. The third act starts so quickly with the planning of the attack to Han lightspeeding straight into the base. Something about the editing makes lightspeed travel makes the universe feel small in a way the others didn't.
-Not enough new elements, ie: ships, musical themes, worldbuilding, setpieces (for example...Pod Racing).
-Some emotional beats felt like missed opportunities, for example not having certain characters present or reacting to 'the death'.
-Opening crawl or the movie itself could have set up the First Order / Rebellion situation clearer for the uninitiated who wouldn't understand why the Empire wouldn't have just crumbled away after RoTJ.

It was incredibly enjoyable from moment to moment, but the overall experience/story was not terribly satisfying on a simple level. However it did make me very excited for what's next, and I want to see it again...right away, again and again.

3.5 or 4 out of 5.

By the way, that's about how I expected to feel. I dig Abrams' movies, and I was guessing that this would feel like a safe movie. Not bothered at all considering that this is just the tip of the iceberg. We have another go in 12 months, and 6 months after that. Bring it on :)

Last edited:
Gave it a 8/10. Nut shell thoughts : it was good Star Wars, me satisfied, 3D optional ( saw it in RealD 3D™)

9/10. TFA was my first in theater experience seeing a Star Wars film. I thought was great. I'm very much looking forward to Episode 8.

8.5-9/10 for me. Plot may have been a bit thin and a slight rehash of ANH, but it had enough new story elements/characters, the Star Wars feel, and exciting action to make it a good rewatch. I like that they answered as many questions as they left some unanswered since it means I'm left with some anticipation for what will come in Episode VIII.

7/10.

It's a good movie. It's enjoyable. But it is a blatant rehash of Episode 4 and frankly the villain sucks.

But good visuals, most of the new cast looks good, and it was a good ride. For a rehash it at least did it well.

After my third time, still a 10. Though, not a fan of the 3D.

After my third time, still a 10. Though, not a fan of the 3D.

Yeah, the 3D's as non-existent as I find most 3D films to be. The only point it actually does anything is the opening crawl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"