Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Look, if you're still excited, I can't take that away from you, but shouldn't that raise red flags? They took a beloved franchise and it ended up being a waste of time and potential. No one is talking about how they really went out on a high note with their "Skywalker Saga." I don't think it's a real mystery here to imagine they'll do a similar thing to another beloved franchise. Again, I'm not predicting ROS disaster, but more like TFA. Something solid but very safe that loses favorability over time due to the generic and uncreative nature of it.
I can understand that mindset for sure, but the one thing that makes me think that won't be the case is James Mangold. I don't believe he'd do the film unless he was allowed to do what he wanted. People may use Rian Johnson as an example, but he was already boxed in by the previous movie at that point. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to James and wait and see what he comes up with. If it ends up being a let down, I'll own it for sure. But right now, I'll remain optimistic.

Plus, I think the pressures of not repeating the prequels, which I am a fan of btw, was one of the reasons the ST was a mess.

I can understand that mindset for sure, but the one thing that makes me think that won't be the case is James Mangold. I don't believe he'd do the film unless he was allowed to do what he wanted. People may use Rian Johnson as an example, but he was already boxed in by the previous movie at that point. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to James and wait and see what he comes up with. If it ends up being a let down, I'll own it for sure. But right now, I'll remain optimistic.

Plus, I think the pressures of not repeating the prequels, which I am a fan of btw, was one of the reasons the ST was a mess.

I sound like I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but if this were Mangold under another studio or Kennedy wasn't in charge, I'd feel like you are right now. But I just can't. I have no hope they'll do better next time. The promising directors they got either got fired or made disappointing movies. Everyone else followed a lead that was pretty boring and uncreative. There isn't a good track record. I was excited for this before, but the reality that Kennedy is producing is suddenly hitting me like a bag of bricks.

I sound like I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but if this were Mangold under another studio or Kennedy wasn't in charge, I'd feel like you are right now. But I just can't. I have no hope they'll do better next time. The promising directors they got either got fired or made disappointing movies. Everyone else followed a lead that was pretty boring and uncreative. There isn't a good track record. I was excited for this before, but the reality that Kennedy is producing is suddenly hitting me like a bag of bricks.
Well I can say is that I hope we all enjoy it, and I hope that it surprises you in the best way possible, my friend.

I mean, The Last Jedi’s biggest strength/weakness (whichever way you want to look at it) was that Kennedy gave Rian Johnson free reign. Whether that film works for you or not is down to subjective opinion, but that to me shows that Lucasfilm isn’t always enforcing a strict mandate of nostalgia on their projects.

And I’ll say this, in my opinion Mangold’s a better director than Rian Johnson. If he’s given the same creative liberty then there’s a very real chance that this film ends up being incredible.

If you're still excited, I can't take that away from you, but with all due respect, I struggle to understand that. Shouldn't that raise red flags? You ended up souring on a franchise and you're excited for a revival of a franchise the same studio who was responsible for those feelings? Why?

I don't think it's a real mystery here to imagine they'll do a similar thing. Again, I'm not predicting ROS disaster, but more like TFA. Something solid but very safe that loses favorability over time due to the generic and uncreative nature of it.
I also feel they will take it in a different direction and try to make it a franchise again... with different leads...they do things for money... will this be a banked hit?

Literally just rewatched Ford vs. Ferrari. I really am super pumped for this film, and i can't help but to be excited. It has so much potential.

can‘t wait for the teaser - likely to drop in December
and soon we‘ll probably some filming photos - Indy is always a lot outdoor filming

I feel better with Mangold and his writing team than Spielberg and David Koepp. There's at least a chance of inspiration and spark that I believe Spielberg no longer possesses for this character and that Koepp never seemed to have to begin with.

Mangold probably includes more practical effects and more grounded, than Spielberg.
Hopefully like 1980‘s Spielberg

I dunno, I just... I have told myself not to expect to see the indie I grew up with.. Thinking more in terms of Rocky and the CREED movies, he'll be there, it'll be great to see what he is doing, it'll be great to see a mature, aged, retired almost Indie, he deserves that... but.... and a lot of people are in denial about this, but Ford is 78, that will translate on the screen, esp when with other actors who are much younger. Things on camera come off differently than how we perceive things in reality.

Our eyes don't deceive us - just like in 'the Irishman' and that infamous fight scene.

Personally, how do I want Ford to be used, I want him to be driving this story.... his narrative... I want to see dialogue, well written dialogue - maybe a buddy movie where it's Indie and PW-B on an adventure she drags him on. I want him happy, settled, with someone, kids around him.. he's retired it's all behind him.

I want the villain to know that indie is the key to finding something, so they force him out of retirement. He is the brains, not the muscle in this.

I don't want any deaging, no cgi fillers or botox like we saw with Star Wars, I want a mixture of "Gran Torino" old man doing it one last time and "Leon the professional" - mentoring on an adventure that rivals many..

You know you don't have to keep bringing up Harrison Ford's age in nearly every single post you make, right?

No one is in denial about the fact that Harrison Ford is 78. Everyone knows Harrison Ford is old.

You know you don't have to keep bringing up Harrison Ford's age in nearly every single post you make, right?
in the context of my post, I felt it relevant to express my point that hi age plays a huge factor in how indie is portrayed.. I don't want de aging cgi, I don't want him trying to be younger as it doesn't work, hence the examples I gave.
No one is in denial about the fact that Harrison Ford is 78. Everyone knows Harrison Ford is old.
A lot of people are saying he's fit for his age and can pull off certain stunts, I disagree with that. I would hope people don't think he's a spring chicken... not really sure what your point is...

I get it, people wanna see him back - I do too, but sometimes, just sometimes its best to let things go... I can't see any of this making sense and why they would do it.

If anything, I would get Harrison to voice act a limited series or if they went the live action route, I would have Harrison narrate and have a younger actor portray indie, that's been done before, kinda worked... it's the only way I would do it now.

Ofcourse I could be proven wrong and that's a win/win situation.

Just as a side note, George Hall was 76 when filming this.

Unknown-1.jpeg

You know the most powerful leader of the world is 78. He can play his age, but it’s not like 78 he still isn’t able to do many, many things. No he’s not going to physically move like he did, but we don’t expect him to. We’ll see an adventurer in his 70s who’s kept in shape. You don’t have to be sitting in an old folks home on a ventilator to accurately portray that.

I WANT to see an Indiana Jones in his 70s. I don’t care about another actor playing Indiana Jones in his 30s/40s. We saw that 3 times already with the correct actor.

You know the most powerful leader of the world is 78. He can play his age, but it’s not like 78 he still isn’t able to do many, many things. No he’s not going to physically move like he did, but we don’t expect him to. We’ll see an adventurer in his 70s who’s kept in shape. You don’t have to be sitting in an old folks home on a ventilator to accurately portray that.

I WANT to see an Indiana Jones in his 70s. I don’t care about another actor playing Indiana Jones in his 30s/40s. We saw that 3 times already with the correct actor.
patronize much?

Don't bring politics into it, either.

No one said he will be in a folks home on a ventilator.. Harrison isn't so why would Indie?

This back and forth is starting to bore me. We get it, you think it'll be just fine, I hope so too.

That's it... that's all there is to say.

With the casting of Thomas Kretschmann are the villains some Nazis again? :o

patronize much?

Don't bring politics into it, either.

No one said he will be in a folks home on a ventilator.. Harrison isn't so why would Indie?

This back and forth is starting to bore me. We get it, you think it'll be just fine, I hope so too.

That's it... that's all there is to say.

You were the one going on about it dude.

“I’m very, very excited about it… I rewatched Raiders of the Lost Ark the other day, it is so well-done and so charming, and it’s such great storytelling. So yes it’s a great honor to be part of that franchise that I grew up with… I’m in a lucky position where they let me read the script before. And yes, it was everything I wished it to be, so that was just great.”

“I do think I’m invited in to create a character, I think that everybody wants that. That’s why they pick certain actors that they think can come up with certain things, and it will be a collaboration as it always is. Interesting enough, again a little like Riders of Justice, there is kind of a genre mix in Indiana Jones always. There is something that is a little larger-than-life, almost back to the 30s with a Peter Lorre kind of feel, and then you have Indiana Jones who kind of is a straight man. But he does produce a lot of funny and interesting things, but there are different character genres in some of those films.”

Mads Mikkelsen on the ‘Indiana Jones 5’ Script: “It Was Everything I Wished It to Be”

I have faith in Mangold (probably more interested in good storyarchs than Spielberg and Lucas)...but didn’t Cate Blanchett said something similar about the Indy 4 script?

I have faith in Mangold (probably more interested in good storyarchs than Spielberg and Lucas)...but didn’t Cate Blanchett said something similar about the Indy 4 script?

They all did lol.

However unlike Indy 4 this film actually has a good writing team.

Gotta love Twitter. It's not as if the Indiana Jones franchise had female protagonists to begin with. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"