• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Jocks vs Geeks: Is this paradoxical?

terry78 said:
I don't drink, so if do go to any pubs, it's basically an attempt to meet females and buy them drinks. And even then, the bar scene don't really do it for me.

Why coffee shops? It's so... trendy and middle class.

Corinthian™ said:
you evolved... you see, high school geeks evolve at some point or another... they either turn into an ubber geek or into a "hippie" or "indie" which hangs around on coffee houses and talks about music, books, movies or some other wierd **** like that... we are the future's beatniks
And High School jocks either evolve into College Athletes or fratboys.

kainedamo said:
Why coffee shops? It's so... trendy and middle class.
where else can you hang out and meet girls without looking TOO creepy

Corinthian™ said:
where else can you hang out and meet girls without looking TOO creepy

The type of girl that would hang out in a coffee shop most likely wouldn't interest me. I find bars to be much more relaxing than coffee shops. Coffee shops, to me, represent young, trendy people being full of ****.

I'm both so every once in a while I beat myself up and take my lunch money to remind me who's boss.

Mee said:
I'm both so every once in a while I beat myself up and take my lunch money to remind me who's boss.
Good way to deal with inner demons.

ShadowBoxing said:
Good way to deal with inner demons.
And to get cash for lunch.:up:

Mee said:
Brilliant!

kainedamo said:
The type of girl that would hang out in a coffee shop most likely wouldn't interest me. I find bars to be much more relaxing than coffee shops. Coffee shops, to me, represent young, trendy people being full of ****.

Yeah, I never got the deal about that. Buy your overpriced coffee and leave. **** that.

I'm the biggest geek I know, but I still hit the gym 3 days a week.

geek i guess. although people say i look like im a football player. im big for nothing really.

group_silly.jpg

miss-mass-2.jpg

Can these two groups see eye to eye?

terry78 said:
group_silly.jpg

miss-mass-2.jpg

Well I think everyone in both photos would want to plug that chick in the black dress.

I'd like to point out that this thread had no traffic until I came along:up:

terry78 said:
group_silly.jpg

miss-mass-2.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but if this is Civil War, I'm going with the brick walls and the chick in the black dress.

Sorry.

Yeah, it's probably paradoxical in terms of the cliche. . . which is or is mostly perceived as:

1) Jocks are quasi cro-magun airheads who function in a more physically demanding way.

2) Geeks are skinny, anti-social, withdrawn creatures who hide their taunts of the outside world behind intelligence.

I don't really buy into those two categories, but it seems as if a lot of people believe something along those lines.

I'd kind of think that the thread title should've been Nerds vs. Jocks, since a lot of athletes aren't known for their academic excellence, and I think your comparison was more on that basis. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Imo, most Jocks are geeks. I was always under the impression that a geek was an extreme fanatic of anything - so according to that, most jocks probably go crazy over professional sports, certain films, etc. . . and I wouldn't even classify the likes or dislikes of this or any other demographic, because people are different, but I'd say that certain people in general try to find a group to associate w/ or belong to.

Terry78 said:

Random Jock: Don't touch him Flash!
Flash: Or what!
Random Jock: Or his dad will fire your dad! :o

Haha, sorry, that scene was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this pic.​

ShadowBoxing said:
Harping on an old cliche here.

Okay, in the modern world the typical idea is "Jocks are the natural predator to geeks and nerds".

You walk around a local comic store and the regular customers and (usually) shop owners don't scream "Jocks". Very seldom (not to say it never happens) do fans of comics/fantasy/sci-fi ever become jock or jockish type people. While the stereotype may be unfair, it is certainly not without it's hint of truth.

I realize, knowing people from my gym, that superheroes and fantasy characters often are a source and drive for bodybuilders and athletes. But usually it is not the norm. My main question though is: Why isn't this the case most of the time? Why don't most geeks become like those they are fans of? Shouldn't jocks and geeks not be seen as counter to eachother?

I don't think having interests in both areas is paradoxical at all. Most of the world does. When people first meet me, they assume I'm the typical alpha male because of my apperance, which is very large after 20+ years in the gym.
The truth is, I'd take a stack of trade paperbacks over a rilfe, fishing pole or monster truck. I don't find it strange at all. I just nursed a part of my childhood and integrated it into my adult life. That is the way I see it but I've gotten many a wide eye when I tell people that I'm into comics & sci-fi. oh well.

Point is, they don't expect a guy that looks like an abercrombie and fitch model to be hanging around the comic shop. There's a few on occasion that fit that description, but for the most part they are the gawky, skinny, or chubby dudes that frequent that spot.

kainedamo said:

I'd take a coffee shop girl over a drunk girl any day.

49erVenom said:
I'd take a coffee shop girl over a drunk girl any day.

That statement was coming from someone who seems very inexperienced at conversation w/ women period. God forbid moving on to human contact.

Uh, Kaine, no offense, but the attractive woman who you may dance w/ at a bar or share a drink w/ probably aren't the type that you'd want to share a thought-provoking/general conversation with. . a la . . kind of 49er's point.

Or maybe that's just my view.

edit: sorry for taking the thread off topic.
You did bring up an interesting point about the type of people who some athletes look up to, and the type that comic-book lovers enjoy. Nice comparison. :up:

edit: didn't want to take the thread off topic

I met a gun shop guy who was in love with Punisher. He was a really cool guy, a great shot, and looked like maybe he could lift a dumbell or two. He saw my necklace and couldn't stop mentioning him. I know being skilled in guns doesn't make you a "jock" But it does present another look on the idea you presented that people don't try to be like the characters they love. In this case he did and was a really cool guy too.

When I did wrestling...I met a few people there who liked anime as much as me. This one kid was really into Naruto as well. And we were talking about Sharingan and Chidori and stuff like that.We said that working out and doing practice was similar to practicing in Konohoa.

All the people who RP online also in a way are becoming like their characters. Because they are living out those dreams via computer. The reason all of these heroes have muscles and athletic skills....is not because the geek wants to be the jock. It's because of a much simpler reason. LOGIC. You can't lift a truck if you look like the scarecrow from Oz. You can't be bullet proof if you are flabby.

A creative person looks at the world they create their characters in and use real-world laws to help enforce the laws made in their pretend world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"