"Let Your Soul-Glo": The Experience Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
In many of the countries of lights and darks even of the same ethnicity, it's "preferred" to be of a lighter shade.

Well damn. You got a link to this story? That's really sad and crazy.

I looked for it on an english site and found this article. It is very long but that part is shorter.

http://www.dhnet.org.br/denunciar/pcivilrn/mluiza/depstat.htm

Luciano
Soares Ribeir was riding his bicycle in the town of Canoas, near Porto Alegre, the capital of Rio
Grande do Sul, when he was hit by a white man driving a car. The driver, Rogerio Ferreira Pansera, later told the police that
he had not stopped to help Ribeiro because he assumed that Ribeiro was a bike thief. Two passers-by took Ribeiro to a
nearby hospital. When his mother arrived 4 hours later, she learned that the neurologist, Antonio Carlos Marrone, had refused
to treat her son because he assumed that he was a common criminal and would not be able to pay his medical bill. Ribeiro died
2 days later from cranial trauma.

This here does not mention the boy was preto but he was and the doctor said because of his skin color he could not pay his bills. And I know and have read that in the schools you are taught that Brazilians with European ancestry are better than preto and pardo which are black and brown skin brazilians. I'm glad at least I did not grow up in this sort of construct. There are so many places that need improvements.

Don't let people fool you into thinking other countries don't have problems with racism either. The UK, France, Japan, and countless other countries deal with these things yet some act as if it's ONLY some big issue in America.

Yeah I admit I was very surprised to learn that the Japanese do not treat latino immigrants very well. I mean like really really bad.

It is sad that this still goes on between the light and the dark skinned people. Hell between anyone for that matter. I'm pretty dark but my mom is hella light. One of my brothers is light like my mom and people never believed we were brothers. Same dad too.

In many of the countries of lights and darks even of the same ethnicity, it's "preferred" to be of a lighter shade.

Every now and then, I'll watch a Bollywood movie if it's subtitled or in English. A vast majority of the actors I see in their movies have light skin. The beauty queens who come out of India typically have light skin, too. I put 2+2 together and realized there must be a skin tone bias in that country. Then one day I saw a commercial online for an Indian skin-lightening that portrayed a beautiful olive-skinned woman being scorned by love until she used the cream and went up a few shades. I have a few friends who grew up in the Philippines, and I've heard about some skin color bias there as well. It's sad, really.

I think black people in the US are the only people I've ever heard of who encourage people with darker skin tones to be proud of their looks. And even that's not consistent. We'll complain about Beyonce's skin being too light after magazine cover touch-ups, then turn around and crack a joke about Wesley Snipes being blacker than midnight.

Every now and then, I'll watch a Bollywood movie if it's subtitled or in English. A vast majority of the actors I see in their movies have light skin. The beauty queens who come out of India typically have light skin, too. I put 2+2 together and realized there must be a skin tone bias in that country. Then one day I saw a commercial online for an Indian skin-lightening that portrayed a beautiful olive-skinned woman being scorned by love until she used the cream and went up a few shades. I have a few friends who grew up in the Philippines, and I've heard about some skin color bias there as well. It's sad, really.

I think black people in the US are the only people I've ever heard of who encourage people with darker skin tones to be proud of their looks. And even that's not consistent. We'll complain about Beyonce's skin being too light after magazine cover touch-ups, then turn around and crack a joke about Wesley Snipes being blacker than midnight.

"Because of my complexion, he used to call me 'darkness.' He calls me and my brother 'darkness,' called us the 'darkness brothers.' See, this is long before Wesley Snipes. Back then, we was the blackest n****s on the planet according to Rick James."

What did the 5 fingers say to the face?:funny:

On a serious note that is all very true guys. Black and proud, James Brown no? Great talent and taught people to be proud of who they are! My mother is light toned and says she grew up thinking her skin color was not good enough. These perceptions must be put away.

From what I know, this bias is very big in almost every part of Asia!

It is sad that this still goes on between the light and the dark skinned people. Hell between anyone for that matter. I'm pretty dark but my mom is hella light. One of my brothers is light like my mom and people never believed we were brothers. Same dad too.

People are idiots. This same thing happened with my niece and her cousin at college. According to her some kids there didn't believe they were cousins because "You're lightskindedededed and she's darkskindededed." :doh::whatever: I mean it's idiotic in the case of siblings...but cousins?!!!:dry::whatever:

When have all black people ever been one uniform color...? (outside the world of comics, that is)

one of the "real world" "reasons" for the division and preference for lighter skin. It is thought that the darker skinned folks have to spend a lot of time outdoors working and foraging, whereas the upper clases don't have a need to spend a lot of time outdoors and so have lighter complexions...

Haha, most of you have seen pictures of me before, and a black dude that is light skinned with freckles, the comment I get the most is, "you must be mixed" or "are you part white/mexican/native american", etc. Both of my parents are black, but my grandmother is the one that had the white father. But they would say it like, "you're so lucky to look like that and not like the rest of them." :dry:

Haha, most of you have seen pictures of me before, and a black dude that is light skinned with freckles, the comment I get the most is, "you must be mixed" or "are you part white/mexican/native american", etc. Both of my parents are black, but my grandmother is the one that had the white father. But they would say it like, "you're so lucky to look like that and not like the rest of them." :dry:

The ****??? :huh:

I've always hated getting those "You're not like most black people" compliments. It almost always comes from people who don't think they're racist, and they never catch just how stupid that sounds. Do they really think all black people are the stereotypes they see on TV?

Personally, I blame BET. :o

I've always hated getting those "You're not like most black people" compliments. It almost always comes from people who don't think they're racist, and they never catch just how stupid that sounds. Do they really think all black people are the stereotypes they see on TV?

Personally, I blame BET. :o

Those are suppose to be compliments....LoL, it is silly. Everyone is unique and individual, you can't group how someone is as a person because of their race.

But Snoop Dogg is pretty awesome:cwink::oldrazz::o

Snoop+Dogg+Sunglasses+California+Gurls.JPG

Snoop Dogg looks like Willy Wonka dived into the chocolate river after Augustus and forgot to wash up after.

Those are suppose to be compliments....LoL, it is silly. Everyone is unique and individual, you can't group how someone is as a person because of their race.

it's one of those unintentional backhanded compliments like "you speak so well".

it's one of those unintentional backhanded compliments like "you speak so well".

I heard that one so much while growing up, I wanted to speak nothing but ebonics out of pure spite. I didn't, of course. Ebonics sound awkward as hell coming from my mouth. I talk like Carlton Banks.

The skin bias thing is just weird. My mother is light skinned, and she used to get hated on by my aunt and some other members of our family for it. It was more of a jealousy thing because my grandmother was light skinned too, and some people hated her for it and felt "morally superior" and all sorts of crap. Then on the other hand, my cousin, the gay one that hates every demographic you could think of, called dark skinned people like my aunt and her kids monsters because of how dark their skin is. This is coming from the guy who hates: white people, all kinds of Latinos, Asian people, black people, straight people, gay people, bisexual people, old people, young people, people from Texas, people not from Texas, and dark skinned people. I've literally heard him hate on all the types of people I just listed. lol At first it was just sad and shocking, but now it's just sad and funny.

My daddy on the other hand is a little dark skinned, and in his family it was "implied" that he and my aunt weren't too special because of it. It was one of those things to where being lighter mattered on his mother's side. It wasn't as bad as my mama's side, but it was one of those silent things that was in the air.

The skin bias thing is just weird. My mother is light skinned, and she used to get hated on by my aunt and some other members of our family for it. It was more of a jealousy thing because my grandmother was light skinned too, and some people hated her for it and felt "morally superior" and all sorts of crap. Then on the other hand, my cousin, the gay one that hates every demographic you could think of, called dark skinned people like my aunt and her kids monsters because of how dark their skin is. This is coming from the guy who hates: white people, all kinds of Latinos, Asian people, black people, straight people, gay people, bisexual people, old people, young people, people from Texas, people not from Texas, and dark skinned people. I've literally heard him hate on all the types of people I just listed. lol At first it was just sad and shocking, but now it's just sad and funny.

My daddy on the other hand is a little dark skinned, and in his family it was "implied" that he and my aunt weren't too special because of it. It was one of those things to where being lighter mattered on his mother's side. It wasn't as bad as my mama's side, but it was one of those silent things that was in the air.

Your cousin is gay and black....but hates everyone including gay and black people? :ninja:

That sounds like good old fashioned misanthropy.

Your cousin is gay and black....but hates everyone including gay and black people? :ninja:

Yes. He's a miserable old man that hates everyone and everything.

Damn this just made me think of that scene from "Don't be a menace..." with Bernie Mac as the racist cop. :awesome:

Yes. He's a miserable old man that hates everyone and everything.
ruckus.jpg

edit; rocky you beat me to it LOL

ps, your avvy is creepy, freaky, and awesome all in one.

Yeah he's kinda like Uncle Ruckus, except the stereotypical flaming gay. His head kinda looks like Ruckus' though. lol

Yeah he's kinda like Uncle Ruckus, except the stereotypical flaming gay. His head kinda looks like Ruckus' though. lol

Haha, effeminate black dudes always have the most outlandish opinions, and don't mind sharing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"