Lionsgate "Power Rangers" - - - - - - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Green Ranger has been posted a few pages up.

Wait, did someone confirm the Green Ranger is in this thing?

This is gonna be a weird gripe, but am I the only one not digging Cranston's voice as Zordon? He sounds like he's speaking normally not even trying to put on a different voice. I was hoping for the way he sounded in the Injustice announcement trailer-- an experienced, hardened alien warrior. Instead he just sounds like himself

Well, you don't hire Brian Cranston for his voice and then not have him sound like himself.

Last edited:
You conveniently left Goldar out...but the original Megazord at least had eyes and the Megazords that followed had faces or similar eye/mask combinations as the original Megazord.

Because I don't care. Goldar has always looked stupid to me. Now he looks like a melted gold thing instead of a stupid looking blue lion in Egyptian armor. Does this really change our day to day lives?

The original Megazord had light up fields to simulate eyes. Not eyes.

I wasn't really talking about the Megazords that followed, though that's good to know. I don't think this one is based on any of those, though. I don't know, I stopped watching after Ninja.

Even if the original Megazord didn't have a face, this incarnation is obviously a significant departure so why not give it a face? And are you trying to argue that NO face is the best route to go?

Ok, so why give it a face? Why is it so important that the thing have a face? It is the rangers inside who are in peril and reacting to things, and they have faces.

Also, it does have a "take" on a face. It's just not a humanoid one.

Why does it matter, exactly?

Also...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the original Megazord was heavily inspired by Voltron. Even if you're too dense to see it, Tsuyoshi Nonaka (known for his work on Super Sentai) said that Megazord was inspired by Voltron. So :p

I'll let you in on a secret. There's a reason that I referenced Voltron in a joking manner, and not say, the Transformers.

The Megazord did not have typical humanoid facial features as Voltron did/does. That was a pretty major difference between the two designs.

Last edited:
I think laying the superhero tropes so hard over the PR framework dulled out a lot of the elements that could have gotten this a more unified reaction from fans.

I think this will live or die based on how well the actors gel together since it looks like the rangers will only show up in the last third of the movie.

Wait, did someone confirm the Green Ranger is in this thing?

Rita is
using the Green Ranger Power Coin, so Tommy will probably be in a sequel of some kind.

If this movie does succeed, I want the sequel just to be about Rita and Tommy and then you can bring in Lord Zedd for 3.

It might. I would say 120 mil domestic sounds about right. Maybe more but i don't think anything less. It will kill overseas more than likely.
I'm thinking more Turtles numbers - anywhere from $75m - $100m domestic, $150m - $200m oversees.

AcRap2g.gif

i love this shot:mnm:

I wish the energy surging through the suits matched their respective color schemes, instead of it just being blue for all of them.

It's purple, Boom. Gawd get them Muppet eyes checked. :o

Oh, it still looks like FF. FF after they started deciding to cut "fun" trailers. But then again, FF was another derivative flick trying to be other superhero flicks. It still has the FF and MoS desaturated look.

And this reaction is the same as the one for FF. Talking about how those worrying it wouldn't be good were wrong, because look the trailer is fun. Same happened with the last BvS trailer. Batman is destroying people in a building, best Batman action ever, the film is going to be fun. Same for Suicide Squad. That doesn't mean it won't be, but lets not act like there wasn't a tone shift here in the marketing, a reaction to the first trailer's reaction.

And since when was I rooting for this to fail? If it is a good movie, what do I lose? I gain a good movie of something I like. But this is the tact taken often here. If you don't think something looks good, you are rooting for it to fail. Yes, I wanted the Hobbit, BvS, Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, FF, and now Power Rangers to fail. Because I hate all those things. :funny:
All of this.

And I just realized that the superhero landing is likely the end result of them transporting.

Oh, it still looks like FF. FF after they started deciding to cut "fun" trailers. But then again, FF was another derivative flick trying to be other superhero flicks. It still has the FF and MoS desaturated look.

And this reaction is the same as the one for FF. Talking about how those worrying it wouldn't be good were wrong, because look the trailer is fun. Same happened with the last BvS trailer. Batman is destroying people in a building, best Batman action ever, the film is going to be fun. Same for Suicide Squad. That doesn't mean it won't be, but lets not act like there wasn't a tone shift here in the marketing, a reaction to the first trailer's reaction.

And since when was I rooting for this to fail? If it is a good movie, what do I lose? I gain a good movie of something I like. But this is the tact taken often here. If you don't think something looks good, you are rooting for it to fail. Yes, I wanted the Hobbit, BvS, Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, FF, and now Power Rangers to fail. Because I hate all those things. :funny:

:up:

This is the very essence of divisive.

Overly busy, dripping with "kewl"
Indecipherable art direction, allowing for projection ("oh, so alien!")
A "money shot" that refuses to last more than a split second
A clear departure from the designs we've been looking at which seems at once reactionary but still not crowd-pleasing.

I don't want this movie to fail. I'm just so very tired of being led on and disappointed. The solution is simple: Keep expectations WAAAAAY down. If we expect FFINO, we can enjoy this. If we expect something to do justice to a 20-year franchise... :csad:

This is the very essence of divisive.

Overly busy, dripping with "kewl"
Indecipherable art direction, allowing for projection ("oh, so alien!")
A "money shot" that refuses to last more than a split second
A clear departure from the designs we've been looking at which seems at once reactionary but still not crowd-pleasing.

I don't want this movie to fail. I'm just so very tired of being led on and disappointed. The solution is simple: Keep expectations WAAAAAY down. If we expect FFINO, we can enjoy this. If we expect something to do justice to a 20-year franchise... :csad:

I hope this post is a satire because you sound ridiculous.

That shot is awesome, if you are really against the costumes at this point you were wanting to be negative. They look spectacular in motion and are a welcome departure from spandex. They are everything a modern, more realistic take on the armor should have been.

I do believe someone said "pedantry" several posts ago.

Oh and TMNT (2014) box office sounds about right, but this seems to be taking Power Rangers slightly more seriously.

If we expect something to do justice to a 20-year franchise... :csad:

That is constantly reinventing itself and trying new ideas and even tweaking its tone here-and-there to keep longtime fans coming back while gaining new ones? Maybe it's easy for me because MMPR is a mixed bag so I'm embracing something that shakes the foundation a bit but 'expecting something to do justice' is a bit..odd of a complaint.

The trailer was cheesy, the dialogue was iffy, they still have the giant head Zordon, Goldar looks silly, and so many other things yet that is Power Rangers -- specifically Mighty Morphin' which is why so many have been switching their tune. It's embracing the absurdity that comes along with such a ever-changing property.

If that's not doing it 'justice', I don't know what is.

I hope this post is a satire because you sound ridiculous.

That shot is awesome, if you are really against the costumes at this point you were wanting to be negative. They look spectacular in motion and are a welcome departure from spandex. They are everything a modern, more realistic take on the armor should have been.

Spectacle in a mish mash sucks. No satire, no ill wishing. It's not enough to "not be spandex" or seem "realistic," it has to look good, on its own, having some kind of unified design, inform the characters, let us know what to expect. These costumes let me know to expect overly busy inconsistent presumption cut short. At the same time, it lets us know it will be "modern" and "hip." Which is all some people need. This is why this shot is a great example of how divisive this movie can be, it simultaneously shows how "spectacular" things will be, while also showing how poorly conceived things will be.

Unfortunately, I am in a position to understand where you're coming from, so I'm not going to say you're not sharing your honest opinion, or that you have some ill intent, just because you can't get with the program and see the pattern this movie is following to a gorram T. You like what you like, you expect what you expect, and this movie may meet those expectations, for all I know.

The suits look realistic, but they also don't. In that shot, it looks like the helmets are tangible but the rest of the suit has a digital layer over it. They easily could have done away with those lights. What's the purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"