Status
Not open for further replies.
WETA Workshop shared these images, courtesy of Power Rangers NOW:
https://www.powerrangersnow.com/weta-workshop-bringing-power-rangers-to-sdcc/

WWCTSDCC17070517.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWJIgBjlrY6/

6fGV7yl.jpg

Last edited:
they are not gonna make a sequel because of home video sales the movie bombed at the boxoffice give it up already

The people who liked the movie are allowed to talk about how they want a sequel without having to put up with rude attacks because of it. Post civilly or don't post at all.

Damn! Rita's suit looks PRETTY as hell! And it doesn't look to over complicated.

Precisely. Either way, if there is a sequel, they gotta make significant changes. The finished product is one that reeks of disappointing potential.

Indeed. First impressions mean a lot when it comes to films so if there is a sequel, they'll have to make something so undeniably epic that people feel they have to go see it.

If they do make a sequel, I hope that's the case because it was the exact opposite this go 'round.

They uploaded 3 pages worth of artwork now on Weta's website:

http://wetaworkshop.com/projects/power-rangers-2017/

If someone would be kind enough to post those, it would be appreciated. I still remember when I was sure that the suits would be as a majority black with only some colour. So glad that wasn't the case. :D

Watcing Spiderman:Homecoming made me really wish they had made Power Rangers in a similar light. There was plenty of personal drama. If we get a sequel it is definitely how they should handle it.

I doubt they keep Dean Israelite either.

But if they make a sequel, is it really going to be PG this time?

Maybe due to cheaper price. But that's just a guess on my part. As for "Chips", no idea. haha

Just finished watching this now, the vibe was a little weird early on, the style of the shots feels very seriously done but then the music is a bit weird and cheesy. It feels like a sort of teen dramedy but then like the composer watched a different film.

I did enjoy it though, it did turns a bit cheesy towards the end but that was to be expected really. The film felt like it lacked a little something, althoygh I'm not sure what.

You know what though I really liked the five Rangers, they felt real to me. I really got there connection as the film progressed and I think that was the strength of it.

I felt Cranston was kind of wasted as Zordon tbh but Bill Hader stole the show as Alpha 5, he was hilarious at times.

Elizabeth Banks as Rita, I feel you either enjoy her or you don't but I did. You could tell Banks was having a blast here.

I wasn't very keen on Goldar but it made sense within the context of the film. The puttys however, erm less said about them the better.

The opening though, wow, I'd have watched a two hour film of that. That was the best part of the film aside from the characters themselves.

I'd probably give it a 6.5/10 which could seem low for a score for a film I did enjoy but I actually really like some films I give 6s and above. I really hope it somehow gets a sequel, I'd love to see them take on Lord Zedd and please if they do a sequel don't fill it with pop songs this time. Just stick to a solid score.

Just a few questions:

- Do we know what species the original Rangers were?
- how did Gold repair Rita exactly?

Last edited:
I actually really enjoyed this one when I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Surprisingly has a lot of heart.

I finally watched "Power Rangers"
It just opened in Japan tonight...

First, i want to give it a full review, and as a big Sentai fans who i proudly say that i watched all episodes of Sentai series since the first series, Himitsu Sentai Goranger (1975) until the newest one, Uchuu Sentai Kyuuranger (2017). From the very beginning of more colorful of 70s Sentai series, more drama focused 80s Sentai series, the renaissance of Sentai era in 1990s (i grew up in this era), until the more kid friendly 2000s series.

This is going a little long but i will very appreciate it if it will be read until the end.

Just as i say, i watch it purely as a big Sentai fan who up until now I always despise everything about "Americanized Sentai" (Power Rangers)". I just cannot stand Power Rangers, and i always mad that in the American commercial it is said "Worldwide Phenomenon" as it seems that it is America who the one invented Sentai, I read somewhere (in youtube comment section i believe) that said that "Japan rip off Power Rangers"...That is make me sooo angry and mad at the same time! Therefore my dislike of Power Rangers grew even more. Yes, i know this kind of thinking is "close-minded" and i also knew from Power Rangers fans that my kind of fan has been called "Sentai purist" (well, i might be that...). The point is i hate everything Power Rangers.

Since when i watch it trailer until TV Spot, i have no single reason why i should care for this movie at all... for the look of the trailer, it is not by anymeans ressemble any Sentai elements nor the tone. Despite the fact that what i see a trailer and not a full movie, I deciced not to watch it when it open here....I despite it when the TV Spot always appear on TV!!

A month prior to its release here in Japan, there are Japan premiere event in Roppongi with the cast of American Tyranno Ranger, Ptera Ranger, and the director (i forgot what his name) along with its Japanese dub voice over actresses.

And a change of heart happens to me this past month as i read from one of my closest friend who also a big Sentai fan (who attending a premier event) said that "it was good, you should try to watch it just once"
I am thinking at one point that maybe i should be more open minded, get rid of my "Power Rangers hate" for a while and see this movie just once, besides as a Sentai fan, I curious to see how Sentai suits, actions and its mechas done by Hollywood technology ....and after i watch it, I can decide whether I love it or I hate it..that's it!

With that simple mind thinking, i finally eat my own words and watch it on the opening night along with groups of my friends.

After more and less 2 hours.... WOW....not saying I love it very much,but I REALLY REALLY LIKE THIS MOVIE!

First off, what fears me the most about this new Power Rangers movie (by the look of its trailer) is a dark edgy Dark Knight-kind of tone which is very opposite of what Sentai concept really are, but after I seen the movie, there is a lot of heartwarming, interesting, hopeful, optimism, and also heroism characters that I have seen all of it in many of Sentai series. Some of characters (especially the yellow, blue, black is reminded me a lot of various characters from Sentai series).

And here is what makes me love this movie...the fact that the five of them cannot transform because their heart is not becoming one yet, and aeventhough they are not know each other but along the way, they learn to trust each other .... To me, those elements are THE TRUE CORE SPIRIT OF WHAT SENTAI ARE!!
Eventhough the cast is not Japanese (I not used to see Sentai members but with a non Japanese cast, hehe) but to me, that is very much what Sentai characters arc should be.

Now, I'd like to review the Rangers one by one...

Red, Tyranno Ranger (Jason) - I quite like him, he is a leader who at the very beginning has quite has doubt where he supposed to be belong in this world, a little reckless also, and also has a brave heart (when he save Billy from the bully).
Note: He reminded me of various Red leader like Akama Kenichi (Goggle Red in Dai Sentai Goggle V~1982), Tsurugi Hiryuu (Change Dragon from Dengeki Sentai Changeman~1985), Hoshino Goro (OhRed from Choriki Sentai Ohranger~1995), and most of it, Akashi (Bouken Red from Gogo Sentai Boukenger~2006)

Black, Mammoth Ranger (Zak) - A rebelious character with very charming personality.
The moment where he confronts Jason reminded me a lot of various Black sentai characters with similar rebelious attitude, notably Gai Yuki (Black Condor from Chojin Sentai Jetman~1991), Inou Masumi (Bouken Black from Gogo Sentai Boukenger~2006), Tani Chiaki (Shinken Green from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger-2009), but his humour part is reminded me of Ikenami Ryuunosuke (Shinken Blue/Shinkenger-2009)

Pink, Ptera Ranger (Kim) - A beautiful one, i must admit, i never seen an American actress this beautiful since Jessica Alba....
A girl who also has a troubled past behind her shoulder, same as i seen in various female Sentai characters also (like Yabuki Jun/ Yellow Four in Choudenshi Bioman-1984), her sincerity and care for her teammates reminded me also of Eri /Gosei Pink in Tensou Sentai Goseiger-2010, Matsuri Tatsumi/Go Pink from Kyukyu Sentai GoGo V-1999.

Blue, Torikera Ranger (Bily) - A heart of the team, who is sincerity,earnest reminded me a lot of Kijima Toshii/Goggle Yellow from Dai Sentai Goggle V-1982, Raita/Yellow Owl from Chojin Sentai Jetman-1991, Alata/Gosei Red from Goseiger-2010, Daimon/Go Yellow from GoGo V-1999, Hanaori Kotoha/Shinken Yellow from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger-2009.
This Billy kind of character in Sentai usually a yellow one, so that made me think Billy should be the yellow one..:D In Sentai series, the Blue one mostly is either hot headed character (like Shoji/Tenma Ranger from Gosei Sentai Dairanger, Ayase/Time Blue in Mirai Sentai Timeranger-2000, Hoji/Deka Blue from Tokuso Sentai Dekaranger-2004), or cool calm as seen in many 80s Blue Sentai.
Regardless,I think he is very similar from his Zyuuranger counterpart, Dan.

Yellow, Tiger Ranger (Didi) - An outcast at the first who seems not get along with others, as i can see her in various Sentai characters like Yukito Sanjou/Abare Blue from Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger-2003 but also cool as same as Joe Gibken/Gokai Blue from Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger-2011, Hayate/Ginga Green from Seijuu Sentai Gingaman-1998.
And this Didi character is mostly the type character of Blue in most Sentai series.

Thats my most thought on character in this movie...

The only minus in this movie is that the design of the suits and mechas which are too much gritty...I always thought that if someday Hollywood should ever make a Sentai mecha, it should be modeled and made like one in Pacific Rim, not Transformers.

And when i see 5 Rangers fighting inside a combined DaiZyuuJin without the helmet on, they more looks like Gatchaman than Sentai.

Bottomline and final thought... I was wrong before, and as pure Sentai fan, I am not shamed to admit I LIKE THIS MOVIE... eventhough the 5 members doesnt transform until the very end, but the fact that along the way, they learn to know, they learn to trust each other, they learn from their mistakes through the hardship of the battle, to make their heart becoming one team is more than enough for me (as a Sentai fans) to love this movie, because that is what Sentai is all about. The characters are all very much Sentai (but with more American taste).

Last edited:
And last, I am very pleased to see Suzuki Takayuki name as executive producer in the end credit...

He is the veteran Toei producer who produced most Sentai series from the 70s, 80s, and 90s until early 2000s

I finally watched "Power Rangers"
It just opened in Japan tonight...

First, i want to give it a full review, and as a big Sentai fans who i proudly say that i watched all episodes of Sentai series since the first series, Himitsu Sentai Goranger (1975) until the newest one, Uchuu Sentai Kyuuranger (2017). From the very beginning of more colorful of 70s Sentai series, more drama focused 80s Sentai series, the renaissance of Sentai era in 1990s, until the more kid friendly 2000s series.

This is going a little long but i will very appreciate it if it will be read until the end.

Just as i say, i watch it purely as a big Sentai fan who up until now I always despise everything about "Americanized Sentai" (Power Rangers)". I just cannot stand Power Rangers, and i always mad that in the American commercial it is said "Worldwide Phenomenon" as it seems that it is America who the one invented Sentai, I read somewhere (in youtube comment section i believe) that said that "Japan rip off Power Rangers"...That is make me sooo angry and mad at the same time! Therefore my dislike of Power Rangers grew even more. Yes, i know this kind of thinking is "close-minded" and i also knew from Power Rangers fans that my kind of fan has been called "Sentai purist" (well, i might be that...). The point is i hate everything Power Rangers.

Since when i watch it trailer until TV Spot, i have no single reason why i should care for this movie at all... for the look of the trailer, it is not by anymeans ressemble any Sentai elements nor the tone. Despite the fact that what i see a trailer and not a full movie, I deciced not to watch it when it open here....I despite it when the TV Spot always appear on TV!!

A month prior to its release here in Japan, there are Japan premiere event in Roppongi with the cast of American Tyranno Ranger, Ptera Ranger, and the director (i forgot what his name) along with its Japanese dub voice over actresses.

And a change of heart happens to me this past month as i read from one of my closest friend who also a big Sentai fan (who attending a premier event) said that "it was good, you should try to watch it just once"
I am thinking at one point that maybe i should be more open minded, get rid of my "Power Rangers hate" for a while and see this movie just once, besides as a Sentai fan, I curious to see how Sentai suits, actions and its mechas done by Hollywood technology ....and after i watch it, I can decide whether I love it or I hate it..that's it!

With that simple mind thinking, i finally eat my own words and watch it on the opening night along with groups of my friends.

After more and less 2 hours.... WOW....not saying I love it very much,but I REALLY REALLY LIKE THIS MOVIE!

First off, what fears me the most about this new Power Rangers movie (by the look of its trailer) is a dark edgy Dark Knight-kind of tone which is very opposite of what Sentai concept really are, but after I seen the movie, there is a lot of heartwarming, interesting, hopeful, optimism, and also heroism characters that I have seen all of it in many of Sentai series. Some of characters (especially the yellow, blue, black is reminded me a lot of various characters from Sentai series).

And here is what makes me love this movie...the fact that the five of them cannot transform because their heart is not becoming one yet, and aeventhough they are not know each other but along the way, they learn to trust each other .... To me, those elements are THE TRUE CORE SPIRIT OF WHAT SENTAI ARE!!
Eventhough the cast is not Japanese (I not used to see Sentai members but with a non Japanese cast, hehe) but to me, that is very much what Sentai characters arc should be.

Now, I'd like to review the Rangers one by one...

Red, Tyranno Ranger (Jason) - I quite like him, he is a leader who at the very beginning has quite has doubt where he supposed to be belong in this world, a little reckless also, and also has a brave heart (when he save Billy from the bully).
Note: He reminded me of various Red leader like Akama Kenichi (Goggle Red in Dai Sentai Goggle V~1982), Tsurugi Hiryuu (Change Dragon from Dengeki Sentai Changeman~1985), Hoshino Goro (OhRed from Choriki Sentai Ohranger~1995), and most of it, Akashi (Bouken Red from Gogo Sentai Boukenger~2006)

Black, Mammoth Ranger (Zak) - A rebelious character with very charming personality.
The moment where he confronts Jason reminded me a lot of various Black sentai characters with similar rebelious attitude, notably Gai Yuki (Black Condor from Chojin Sentai Jetman~1991), Inou Masumi (Bouken Black from Gogo Sentai Boukenger~2006), Tani Chiaki (Shinken Green from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger-2009), but his humour part is reminded me of Ikenami Ryuunosuke (Shinken Blue/Shinkenger-2009)

Pink, Ptera Ranger (Kim) - A beautiful one, i must admit, i never seen an American actress this beautiful since Jessica Alba....
A girl who also has a troubled past behind her shoulder, same as i seen in various female Sentai characters also (like Yabuki Jun/ Yellow Four in Choudenshi Bioman-1984), her sincerity and care for her teammates reminded me also of Eri /Gosei Pink in Tensou Sentai Goseiger-2010, Matsuri Tatsumi/Go Pink from Kyukyu Sentai GoGo V-1999.

Blue, Torikera Ranger (Bily) - A heart of the team, who is sincerity,earnest reminded me a lot of Kijima Toshii/Goggle Yellow from Dai Sentai Goggle V-1982, Raita/Yellow Owl from Chojin Sentai Jetman-1991, Alata/Gosei Red from Goseiger-2010, Daimon/Go Yellow from GoGo V-1999, Hanaori Kotoha/Shinken Yellow from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger-2009.
This Billy kind of character in Sentai usually a yellow one, so that made me think Billy should be the yellow one..:D In Sentai series, the Blue one mostly is either hot headed character (like Shoji/Tenma Ranger from Gosei Sentai Dairanger, Ayase/Time Blue in Mirai Sentai Timeranger-2000, Hoji/Deka Blue from Tokuso Sentai Dekaranger-2004), or cool calm as seen in many 80s Blue Sentai.
Regardless,I think he is very similar from his Zyuuranger counterpart, Dan.

Yellow, Tiger Ranger (Didi) - An outcast at the first who seems not get along with others, as i can see her in various Sentai characters like Yukito Sanjou/Abare Blue from Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger-2003 but also cool as same as Joe Gibken/Gokai Blue from Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger-2011, Hayate/Ginga Green from Seijuu Sentai Gingaman-1998.
And this Didi character is mostly the type character of Blue in most Sentai series.

Thats my most thought on character in this movie...

The only minus in this movie is that the design of the suits and mechas which are too much gritty...I always thought that if someday Hollywood should ever make a Sentai mecha, it should be modeled and made like one in Pacific Rim, not Transformers.

And when i see 5 Rangers fighting inside a combined DaiZyuuJin without the helmet on, they more looks like Gatchaman than Sentai.

Bottomline and final thought... I was wrong before, and as pure Sentai fan, I am not shamed to admit I LIKE THIS MOVIE... eventhough the 5 members doesnt transform until the very end, but the fact that along the way, they learn to know, they learn to trust each other, they learn from their mistakes through the hardship of the battle, to make their heart becoming one team is more than enough for me (as a Sentai fans) to love this movie, because that is what Sentai is all about. The characters are all very much Sentai (but with more American taste).
Cool getting to hear from a Sentai fan perspective :up:

Bought and watched the movie tonight. I have to say–after all the mixed reviews, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it very much, but I was very pleased with the movie. I thought it was fun without being cheesy, and it had the perfect blend of humor and action. I hope this gets greenlit for a sequel, because IMHO it deserves one.

It really genuinely warms my heart reading these reactions and people finally watching the movie (which for individual reasons they skipped during the theatre run). Good to hear some positive thoughts and seeing how so many people were surprised it didn't suck. I would say more but it's going to be turned into a technical debate, so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for posting your reviews guys. Looking forward to seeing more reactions now that more people get a chance to see it. Marvel_SKE, that was an awesome post.

Hi, thanks you very much, Reel-Man :)

If anything I can learn is not to judge anything before I see it with my own eyes, hopefully I can be more open minded to any other things ahead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"