Marvel Now - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are both those kids? Is that Franklin Richards in the Bendis/McNiven book?

^^^ Forget it, the first one is apparently Forge and the second is possibly a new Star Lord.

Ah, so that might be why the Star-Lord Bendis used in Avengers Assemble is blonde and wearing the '70s costume. I have to admit, I hadn't considered that the guy being called Star-Lord might be some newb. I probably should've, though, given the new Nova.

Well at least they're gonna stink up the joint with new guys instead of the ones that DnA spent years making awesome.

I'm still a bit disappointed that the Guardians are Drax, Gamora, and a couple of the other really well known, straightforward badass-types again. I mean, Rocket Raccoon's a given, but I got way more of my enjoyment from the GotG series out of the oddballs like Jack Flag, Mantis, Cosmo, Groot, et al.

Jack Flag was one of the craziest revivals I've ever seen of any character. He was originally from the god awful Captain America storyline "Fighting Chance" when the Super-Soldier serum went bad and started killing Cap and he was forced to wear that Iron Cap armor.

That story sucked so bad I thought I'd never see that guy again until he popped up in Ellis' T-Bolts run, proving that with the right writer, any sucky character can be good. I'm still waiting for Free Spirit to pop up again someday....

Ah, so that might be why the Star-Lord Bendis used in Avengers Assemble is blonde and wearing the '70s costume. I have to admit, I hadn't considered that the guy being called Star-Lord might be some newb. I probably should've, though, given the new Nova.

But... he IS Peter Quill. He's been referred to as such several times, and he's treated everyone he's met with familiarity. All the other characters (plus the creatives) have treated him as the original Star-Lord. And he's definitely not a kid.

I have a feeling the pic from the Point One is just a flashback, and that McNiven might have drawn Quill looking a little too young-looking.

Hmm, fair point. So, back to the initial explanation: Bendis and Marvel's editors are terrible.

Why. Why, why, why?

I miss Nova and Pete so bad, but there's no way I'll pick up this new stuff.

At least Loeb's Nova isn't Rich, right? It's some new Nova or something, whoever popped up in the beginning of AvX?

I'm not a big Bendis fan but Im thinking he may be. Good fit for these characters.

I thought DNA wrote in a very bendisy style...esp Gotg book.

Starlord and Gotg are a very humorous group... And this is a strength for bmb.

I don't quite get the feel of quill in assembled...but I'm willing to give it a shot

Why. Why, why, why?

I miss Nova and Pete so bad, but there's no way I'll pick up this new stuff.

At least Loeb's Nova isn't Rich, right? It's some new Nova or something, whoever popped up in the beginning of AvX?
Sam Alexander, the same one from the Ultimate Spider-Man monstrosity. I mean cartoon.

Yeah, I'll be skipping both cosmic relaunches. Granted, with Loeb and Bendis as the writers, I would've probably skipped them no matter who they starred.

I'm waiting to hear what news comes regarding Nova and the Guardians. I'll likely pick up Nova if that gets turned into an ongoing but I'm not sure on Guarians yet. Honestly, I wasn't a HUGE fan of it when DnA were writing it. I loved Nova, Darkhawk, War of Kings, and all that stuff but I just didn't feel much of their Guardians series was worth the praise... not over Nova anyway. I do like the characters though and the layout of the series really was Bendis-ish so who knows. I'll decide when the time comes I suppose.

I'm waiting to hear what news comes regarding Nova and the Guardians. I'll likely pick up Nova if that gets turned into an ongoing but I'm not sure on Guarians yet. Honestly, I wasn't a HUGE fan of it when DnA were writing it. I loved Nova, Darkhawk, War of Kings, and all that stuff but I just didn't feel much of their Guardians series was worth the praise... not over Nova anyway. I do like the characters though and the layout of the series really was Bendis-ish so who knows. I'll decide when the time comes I suppose.

You know what I completely agree with you DNA get

much credit although I do like then it was Keith Giffen who I think was the real genius behind the Marvel cosmic relaunch....

.. and they tossed him by the wayside

..that never quite settled well with me difference nova was the model.t

Oh don't get me wrong... I give DnA plenty of credit. They wrote a fantastic Nova series and turned him into one of my top two favorite characters (beside Iron Fist) and the War of Kings was fantastic. Their other stuff was good as well. It was just that people seemed to go nuts over the Guardians of the Galaxy and I felt it was probably their weakest cosmic story.

Giffen did do a fantastic job with Annihilation though, obviously. Though, remember that DnA did write the Nova mini that led into Annihilation so they do get partial credit there.

Oh don't get me wrong... I give DnA plenty of credit. They wrote a fantastic Nova series and turned him into one of my top two favorite characters (beside Iron Fist) and the War of Kings was fantastic. Their other stuff was good as well. It was just that people seemed to go nuts over the Guardians of the Galaxy and I felt it was probably their weakest cosmic story.

Giffen did do a fantastic job with Annihilation though, obviously. Though, remember that DnA did write the Nova mini that led into Annihilation so they do get partial credit there.

Yeah that prior post a voice experiment on mobile...but let me say, I like DnA..and I like what they did with Nova and GOTG..but seeing as how Giffen was the creative chief on Annhilation..i just wonder how much creative direction were DnA and how much was Giffen's long term vision.

But..I'm not a DnA hater..just think them a bit overrated...I really Loved Thanos Imperitive, which is the best thing DnA ever did..IMO.

..and man i could never STAND those pseudo "de brief" panels in GOTG..so bendisy.

I loved DnA on the cosmic stuff but I'll admit to be disppointed on everything since. I was stoked for New Mutants and it was pretty bad.

Giffen really deserves to have a much larger role at one of the big two than he currently does.

I can't really consider the debriefing panels in Guardians of the Galaxy "too Bendisy." Talking head exposition existed long before Bendis, and DnA on their worst day were truer to their characters as established by those who came before them than Bendis was.

Although I do agree that Giffen really contributed the best parts of the Annihilation resurgence to the cosmic line. DnA did a good job with what he put forth in both Nova and GotG, but I always wonder what we might've gotten if Giffen stuck around instead.

Well at least they're gonna stink up the joint with new guys instead of the ones that DnA spent years making awesome.

Yeah, I'm coming around to this line of thinking as well. I still resent this new Nova cuz he's not Rich but I'm glad they're "safe" in limbo.

Who was originally blonde prior to Thanos' ongoing title... which was prior to Annihilation.

Yeah, but by the end of Annihilation he was an old man with greying hair.

What he do? Come back and get some Miss Clairol?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"