May 2008 Solicitations

As usual, my rambling, long winded thoughts, now that all the solicts are here:

- As the last Ultimate series I still buy, UFF looks good; I wonder what Carey will do with his version of the Salem Seven. Magic usually has been a little awkward with his Ultimate verions; his DIABLO storyline got muddled, but the benefit of using 616 D-Listers is it is hard for an Ultimate version to be worse. Unless you're Bendis with Shocker, Boomerang, or Omega Red.

- I don't get USM anymore, but I read this and had to comment:
USM #122 said:
The worst day in Peter Parker’s life! Spider-Man has been defeated and kidnapped! Wait till you see who did what the Green Goblin, the Kingpin and Doctor Octopus couldn't do! And can Kitty Pryde and Mary Jane team up to save him in time?

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!? Ultimate Spider-Man has been defeated and/or kidnapped in nearly every other arc, at least up to issue #102 or so when I left. Have things really changed since then? Because I doubt it. How many times has USM been humilated, defeated, and needed help to beat his own enemies, especially from females, at least since issue #80 or something!? I think Feminists should give Bendis an award for writing the most emasculated, helpless, feeble, and ball-less superhero in all of comic book history. Lois Lane in the 50's had more cajones. Penny Gadget was ****ing RAMBO compared to USM. Good god, this schtick Bendis has with making USM a helpless chump got old after 100 issues and it seems almost 2 years later, nothing has changed. Ugh. Really, choosing between OMD and USM is like choosing between a man-child or a wuss-child.

- I like how AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE is picking up some characters that haven't done much in a while. Sure, Prodigy was in CW, but Batwing hasn't shown up in literally a decade, same with Annex. It is getting comical how everyone HAS to wear army fatique pants over their costumes, though. But also, besides the fact that Uy is filling in for Caselli again; Gage is given sole writing credit. I think my theory about their co-writing stint is correct; Gage is being geared to take over when Slott's schedule from ASM gets too hectic; after all, during "his month", he has to produce 3 issues worth of scripts. Not that it matters a great deal to me; I doubt Slott will be leaving the book longer than he has to, and Gage is a more than capable writer to fill in when he needs one.

- I still fail to see the point of AVENGERS: FAIRY TALES or any of the Fairy Tales mini's other than to keep Cebulski off better comics while keeping him on the payroll. Seriously, if he ever goes DC exclusive on us, it will be because Marvel wasted him on this ****. It seems they didn't learn any lessons from McKeever. Give him an Avengers title or somethin', anything better.

- CAPTAIN AMERICA #38 hints that Red Skull may have his own replacement Cap, and could be tampering with politics as well. Looks very interesting, and right up Skull's ally. Still, I wonder if he will actually be beaten by issue #50. I mean, Brubaker's great and all, but if Skull goes uncaptured longer than the One Armed Man on THE FUGITIVE, it may ware thin.

- The cover to FF #557 has the Four fighting what looks to me like some rehash of the Ameridroid, some giant robot of Cap. But I could be wrong.

- IIF #15 spotlighting another ancient IF? Fine, just so long as Brubaker & Fraction weeve it into the current storyline, much like they did with the annual. I don't need a repeat of issue #7, where a filler story acts as a speed-bump to a taut storyline.

- GHOST RIDER #23 could be the near-last issue if the sales don't pick up. I don't envy the load Aaron has inherited from Way, but he is trying to do his best and that counts for something.

- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1 looks bad-ass. I guess DnA are the official Space Marvel writers now. Of course, this completely spoils the fact that Star-Lord, Warlock, Rocket Racoon, Drax, Gamora, and Phyla survive ANNIHILATION CONQUEST. I mean I guess that was a given, but still...man. If I told you who was still alive 3 episodes of LOST in the future, would you still bother with the episodes in-between with the same vigor? Man, some stealth with these solicts can do some good. That said, though, I'm a lock for this. Let's see how it sells. It looks like the 21st century's version of Infinity Watch.

- Of course, with IRON MAN's movie out in May and Hulk's down the pipeline, more products with them in it are shipped than are needed. If you weren't tired of both before May, you probably will be now. I will probably get Fraction & Larroca's Iron Man title, even if I hope Larroca stops his pursuit of becoming the next Greg Land via photo-art.

- "All New Iron Manual"!? Someone seriously came up with that with a straight face? LAME. I mean, seriously, Iron MANUAL!? What next? A Spider-Manual? That's Captain Amerisuck.

- MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #9 should be about when the book is claimed to be on the chopping block by #12, because the sales are horrendous. Enjoy the stories while you can, folks.

- MOON KNIGHT chugs along, trying to make MK matter in the post CW era. Benson's at least trying to get his ducks in a row.

- SECRET INVASION, ah, can Bendis write anything where the solict isn't, "The Marvel Universe is in shambles!", or stuff like, "the world will never be the same!", "heroes at each other's throats", "more retcons to sate the biggest ego modern comics have ever seen", and so on? Seriously, Bendis is the Dr. Phil of comics.

- Nick Fury returns to save the day and tell all the superheroes what useless bickering ******s they are in MIGHTY AVENGERS. Watch. That is how SECRET WAR ended and Bendis can never resist ripping off himself.

- NEW AVENGERS -- back in the savage land, because that is what everyone wants out of their Avengers; dinosaurs. Seriously, why stop there? Make them Ninja Dinosaurs, led by the Hood, who is changed into a woman for no reason atall. I bet it'd sell an extra 50k.

- The FF have to get a SI mini? What are they, the X-Men? Besides, wasn't the MU supposed to mobilize after CW? Every damn year it is destruction, betrayals, and the end of relationships. Even Millar wants to build-up again (at least if you take his FF interviews at face value), but the rest of Marvel seems busy with blowing stuff up s'more.

- CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI-16. Hmm...a title that is both blunt and long. I agree that Hitch pooched Black Knight's helmet. I may give it a try. Haven't read anything by Cornell, though.

- NEW WARRIORS #12 is another book that will have to struggle to not be cancelled by then in terms of sales, but I will enjoy every issue I get. It does look like they are facing some Apocalypse-wanna-be.

- Y'know, I tried NEWUNIVERSAL and it wasn't bad, but HEROES will be back by Fall and the gap between issues has dulled by interest. I may give this a pass.

- NOVA #13 looks bad-ass, and will mark the first time in ages that Nova has starred in ANY ongoing that lasted beyond a year. Way to go, Nova Prime. Now go kick some herald ass!

- LAST DEFENDERS #3 was leaked before Casey intended, I think. Wild & wooly line-up. I am curious as to how it will sell.

- More of THE TWELVE is always good.

- PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL gets more poo art by Chaykin and Fraction gets a co-writer. I wonder if he'll be leaving the book soon; it seems to become a practice to groom a co-writer for a few months before a head writer has to leave a title, for any long or short peroid. It isn't a bad idea, frankly.

- So THOR gets a 2-issue break from Coipel, that is interesting. I wonder if he'll have battled any actual villains yet. Because as good as JMS is on this book, he is in serious danger of putting Thor in too limited a niche. A nice non-Norse story might break something up.

- Grevioux from NEW WARRIORS writes the Stature issue of YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS and I'll be curious as to how well it goes. I think he can handle it. I just wonder if this mini is an attempt to get the franchise back in the public eye while grooming a head writer for the second volume, or just throwing a bone while the endless wait for Heinberg stretches on.

- That CABLE solict reminded me of stuff he was doing in the 90's, meeting random civilians who he spooked at first but then got comfy with. Just call it LONE CLICHE AND CUB.

- I want to read BKV's LOGAN, I really do...but I find it hard to get jazzed about a Wolverine mini that sounds like every other Logan mini that has ever been done. Dredging up his past, having him kill some new random threat, and "make a choice". That is literally every Wolverine mini or one-shot since the 80's, and a great deal of his solo series. I mean I understand BKV wanting to write something that mainstreamers might actually read, but, man. Still, at least Wolverine is no longer the most overexposed character at Marvel. I think Iron Man deserves that belt, at least this year.

- I am giving KICK-ASS a try, so I hope it won't suck. I am expecting the "lesson" to be, "the real world has no morality and anyone who does will fail and be brutalized by those who are higher up", much like WANTED and some parts of ULTIMATES. I could be wrong, though. His UFF wasn't bleak and his start of FF wasn't, either.

- I still fail to see the point of AVENGERS: FAIRY TALES or any of the Fairy Tales mini's other than to keep Cebulski off better comics while keeping him on the payroll. Seriously, if he ever goes DC exclusive on us, it will be because Marvel wasted him on this ****. It seems they didn't learn any lessons from McKeever. Give him an Avengers title or somethin', anything better.

Loners ongoing dammit! :cmad:

Heh, the UFF solicit lists Tyler Kirkham as the artist but the text says Mike Perkins is the new regular artist; nice to see him get a steady gig, though pity it's not something I read.

Heh, the UFF solicit lists Tyler Kirkham as the artist but the text says Mike Perkins is the new regular artist; nice to see him get a steady gig, though pity it's not something I read.

Yeah, I noticed that, it seemed odd.

Ultimate seems to be a wasteland now, even if I still am on UFF. It is like FF: FIRST CLASS to me I guess, just something I enjoy as a lark.

- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1 looks bad-ass. I guess DnA are the official Space Marvel writers now. Of course, this completely spoils the fact that Star-Lord, Warlock, Rocket Racoon, Drax, Gamora, and Phyla survive ANNIHILATION CONQUEST. I mean I guess that was a given, but still...man. If I told you who was still alive 3 episodes of LOST in the future, would you still bother with the episodes in-between with the same vigor? Man, some stealth with these solicts can do some good. That said, though, I'm a lock for this. Let's see how it sells. It looks like the 21st century's version of Infinity Watch..

I Love you Dread :D I am so onboard with GoG :D

I Love you Dread :D I am so onboard with GoG :D

Uh, thanks. :D I'm aboardf GoG too. I mean, they had me at Star-Lord, but it has Rocket & Drax too. I don't mind Phyla or Adam Warlock either. :p

- I want to read BKV's LOGAN, I really do...but I find it hard to get jazzed about a Wolverine mini that sounds like every other Logan mini that has ever been done. Dredging up his past, having him kill some new random threat, and "make a choice". That is literally every Wolverine mini or one-shot since the 80's, and a great deal of his solo series. I mean I understand BKV wanting to write something that mainstreamers might actually read, but, man. Still, at least Wolverine is no longer the most overexposed character at Marvel. I think Iron Man deserves that belt, at least this year.

Oh shut up Dread, you know you want this. Besides this may be BKV's last mainstream comic work for the foreseeable future.

I hate to think ever, but that's how he makes it sound in his various interviews.

Lost is currently owning my soul though. But still, :csad::csad:.

Oh shut up Dread, you know you want this. Besides this may be BKV's last mainstream comic work for the foreseeable future.

I hate to think ever, but that's how he makes it sound in his various interviews.

Lost is currently owning my soul though. But still, :csad::csad:.

Seriously? BKV is going to focus more on LOST or other TV/movie gigs? Makes sense, pay wise. Plus, if I had a choice of writing comics hardly anyone reads or shows & movies that attract millions, that may be a hard choice.

I'll probably get it, I just hope LOGAN offers something, anything, that all the countless other Wolverine mini's haven't done, which is hard for any writer. He has literally done everything. You name it, Wolverine has done it.

Yeah but it's BKV. No worries, it'll be worth it.

Way too many Iron-Man books in May. I've never seen the stands this saturated b4 a movie.

Seriously? BKV is going to focus more on LOST or other TV/movie gigs? Makes sense, pay wise. Plus, if I had a choice of writing comics hardly anyone reads or shows & movies that attract millions, that may be a hard choice.

I'll probably get it, I just hope LOGAN offers something, anything, that all the countless other Wolverine mini's haven't done, which is hard for any writer. He has literally done everything. You name it, Wolverine has done it.

I'm staying away since I'm not a real fan of what marvel is doing lately by jacking up the cover prices all because of a cardstock cover.

It's only one dollar more....oh, Canadian prices right?

One issue is like $57.94. Ouch.

Way too many Iron-Man books in May. I've never seen the stands this saturated b4 a movie.

Same with Hulk.The Giant Sizer and the King Sizer sound good though considering the majority sound like new stories instead of mostly reprints.

It's only one dollar more....oh, Canadian prices right?

One issue is like $57.94. Ouch.

No,even for you guys,look at the prices for 1985,Logan and Secret Invasion,they're all 3.99 with regular page counts.

Us Canucks only pay 5 cents more than you guys at 3.05 instead of 2.99 on a normal sized comic.

Yeah but it's BKV. No worries, it'll be worth it.

Probably.

Well, DC did it for Batman & Superman films, but they show up so often anyway, we didn't notice. Same with Spider-Man and the X-Men. But Iron Man & the Hulk have bordered on B-List for long stretches of time and often only had one ongoing and/or one team book, and now all of a sudden both are getting much more (especially Iron Man with all his guest stints). So it can seem extra jarring and at times annoying.

I'm staying away since I'm not a real fan of what marvel is doing lately by jacking up the cover prices all because of a cardstock cover.

Yeah, that does stink. Even DC had mercy and charged $3.50 for Matt Wagner BATMAN mini's that did that.

I'll pay anything for some BKV. And no Dread, not probably, definitely.

:p

Could say the same thing about your art in that little thread of yours.
Well, that's because I'm not an "artist." Wanna hurt me, Dude? Badmouth my writing. That'll at least matter to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"