Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Aug 28, 2012.

1. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

It's called Lordosis.

2. Human Torch Registered

The idea is to make characters translate to the screen as accuratly as possible.

The only character I would think needs a major re-do is Phantom Lady.From the few comics I've seen her in,she wears a few Kleenex and dental floss.That isn't the case with Ms Marvel.

I said before,I don't mind Wonder Woman style "knee boots" if that's what they do.But,it's still a needless change,over a few inches of material.

3. Chewy REDACTED

The idea is to adapt the character into another medium while being true to the spirit of the original work.

Every single costume needs to be "changed" to work. And they have a team of talented professionals spending months working on the minute details of every costume.

4. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

This.

5. cph9fa Registered

I know a lot of people are set on the "iconic" lightning bolt, but I like the idea of using Mar-Vell's sunburst logo -- reimagined as a war medal (maybe bronze- or gold-colored) and pinned to his (Mar-Vell's) uniform. It would be something he earned in his past, and which he gives to Carol, maybe as he's dying. Gives it some sentimental value. It could even have a (small) decorative red ribbon on it, to replace the sash.

6. Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

Some pants wouldn't hurt.

7. DrCosmic Professor of Power

Why complain about lack of creativity and then say the idea is not to be creative? That's a lot of jumping around. Then the idea that Sif was bland is funny. Were the rest of the warriors three bland, too? Or she, specifically is bland unless she's showing maximum skin? "They missed their big chance to titlate teh teens!"

You're getting warmer. When the men's costumes were designed, they came out of a multitude of stories, so costumes were a side effect of race (Thor), mutation (Hulk), equipment (IM) or job (Cap). Comics females usually don't have diverse stories, they get hand-me-down powers from male heroes and costumes that have nothing to do with their stories. As you said, they're all the same: skintight uniforms with various patches of skin showing. So faithfully adapting something that only exists to titilate twelve year old boys may be tempting, but it'd be better to update the characters and costumes for a world where they can be admired and respected like male heroes, even though their classic costumes were not designed for that, and have not succeeded in doing that, and give them costumes based on their stories and not based on their assets.

And as said before: why the heck not? All these characters had their costumes changed radically from their classic costumes. The cornier the costume (Captain America) the more remarkable the change. Why would Ms. Marvel be immune to that?

#207 DrCosmic, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  8. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

This is comparing apples and oranges. She-Hulk is a character who specifically embraces an extroverted sex appeal after turning big and green; its perfectly in character for her to run around in a swim suit.

Ms Marvel, by contrast, is a military veteran of generally serious demeanor who. . . dresses up in fetish gear?

9. DrCosmic Professor of Power

^Zactly.

I like that too. I'm still a fan of the sash being what's left of Captain Marvel, worn in his memory.

If by possible, you mean "as much as physical materials will allow" then Iron Man failed. Captain America failed. Thor failed. Hulk failed. It was possible to make much more comics-accurate costumes and they choose to change the costumes in various ways to make them match the story. Batman, utterly failed. Spider-Man... close, but it could have been more accurate.The X-Men? OMFG!!! FAILLLLLLL!!!! Even in First Class when they add some color still failed to make them as comics accurate as possible. Superman? Any one. Lol, fail, Snyderman especially. Speaking of... Watchmen, fail (except Ror and Doc), 300 fail.

I'm beginning to think accuracy is not, in fact, the idea at all.

All these movies take the basics of those costumes, and update them to match how modern people might dress based on the story that they experience. Sometimes the changes are major when the costume has nothing to do with the story (X-Men, Hawkeye) sometimes the changes are minor when the costume flows naturally out of the story (Spider-Man, Black Widow). A successful Ms. Marvel film would be no different, and as has been said, the costume doesn't flow out of the story at all.

#209 DrCosmic, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  10. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

What I'm talking about, and what I was referring to in my original post was that all female heroes in the movies seem to get dressed in are black jumpsuits, which would be the equivalent of men only being able to wear a variation on a business suit, whereas women wear lots of different colours and styles of dresses, just like you see the male heroes (whether in comics or film).

For the women only to be able to wear the equivalent of a business suit on film is boring. Give them more variety.

11. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Oh, and if I were designing a movie Ms Marvel outfit, my first thought would be "flight suit." Aim for something that says "high tech stylized flight suit", and then work from there. Think something vaguely like the Pacific Rim outfits.

The classic emblem and coloration would come in either in the form of unit insignia ( the red and gold starburst would actually make a good unit patch ), stylized Kree uniform patterns, or some combination of the two.

12. DrCosmic Professor of Power

I agree. Give them armor like Rescue or Iron Man, or otherworldly clothes like MCU Sif had, dresses like Storm has sometimes, physical mutations like Tigra or Hulk, and have just a couple in respectable form fitting uniforms like Cap and Widow. Don't just put them all in skintights and shave various patches off and call it 'variety.' And don't give them costumes that don't flow out of their stories and call it being equal with the men who's costumes do. That's just exploitation with a cheap excuse.

Case in point, Ms. Marvel's classic costume, which is just Black Widow's costume with some fabric missing, doesn't offer any variety whatsoever.

Oh, oh, I like it!

A flight suit is definitely fitting for a pilot, human or Kree, and I like the way that comes together. I also think the armor plates over a partially visible undersuit, the way they have it on Pacific Rim, is a really good way to go. And definitely her symbol should be a Kree insignia, I love that too.

In my head... I would love for it to be both. For her to have an all black swimsuit/bodysuit and over that wear the harnesses and straps and plates and armor that make up the flight suit, and have that resemble the Ultimate Mar-Vell white and green armor. I think that could be pretty frikkin awesome. Classic fans would get to see her in black with that thunderbolt insignia, while she can still get the respect and variety of not going out half dressed, but with a silhouette that's dramatically different from Maria and Widow's, and indeed, Iron Man and Cap and Thor as well. Very cool.

13. Ultra Nolanite Registered

Well a generally serious military vet would probably be most comfortable wearing a black non form fitting jumpsuit.

And like you'd be fine with She-Hulk wearing her comic costume on te big screen regardless of what her character is in the comics.

14. DrCosmic Professor of Power

I suspect especially serious-minded active military personnel, like Carol, who expect to see action would probably be most comfortable in a military uniform. The trick is to get her into another military that dresses more colorfully.

15. Chewy REDACTED

Just a few days ago this thread finally became about supporting cast, personality traits, defining characteristics, breadth of authority

And now we're right back in the middle of this uselessness

This is why we can't have nice things

Where is Thor's helmet?!?!?!

16. DrCosmic Professor of Power

Lol, I feel like we can go back to that at any time.

The supporting cast we had was:
    Kree: Mar-Vell, Ronan, Yon-Rogg, Supreme Intelligence, How about Genis and Phyla?
    SWORD: Abigail Brand, Henry Peter Gyrich, Cidren
    Air Force: Michael Barnett, Michael "Ace" Rossi
    Enemies: Yon-Rogg, Moonstone
    Other Humans: Wonder Man, Grim Reaper, How about Rick Jones?

You could add countless supporting cast from SHIELD if you wanted, really.

I think if Ms. Marvel got a film, I would want Yon-Rogg as the main villain, and Sentry-459 as his Destoryer-Armor-esque big finish, and I would want to throw Nitro in there somehow as well. For a sequel, it'd be cool if there were fallout from the Kree with Moonstone and Ronan to judge the planet, rounding out the trilogy with... I dunno Kree-Skrull War? Some sort of Kree civil war storyline with the Ruul? I dunno.

17. marcvader Lurker #1

Two things 1. I hate when powerhouse practically impervious characters resort to wearing armor/pads,. Just a gripe. 2. I just shake my head when one characters rogues are used to lift anothers because they don't have an interesting one on their own.

18. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

so...while we're talking costumes, how about the one that would inform Carol's...

[​IMG]

Left or right Mar-Vell?

19. marcvader Lurker #1

Right one is the "iconic one" and more badass.

20. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I will honestly be perfectly happy if Ms Marvel wears that red and blue Kree costume based on Mar-Vell's classic design. I think it will stand out more than another black leather costume, especially if the Warbird one is given pants. As far as the audience are concerned, the Warbird one might not stick in their memory because it might be indistinguishable from every other heroine's catsuit. The Kree costume will probably make a more memorable impression.

21. Human Torch Registered

The real question is which costume is more acceptable: The (so-called) "stripper boots" or the gratuitously bare midriff?

22. Human Torch Registered

Honestly,I like Carol's on the left,and Mar-vell's on the right,dispite the fact they don't match.

23. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Although I like the bare midriff, that's not the most common variation on the costume. That was her original look but one without the bare midriff has been around longer. They should just go with the version they used in A:EMH for the movie. That was perfectly fine, still far more attractive and sexy than the butch Captain Marvel costume she now has, and probably more acceptable than the Warbird costume.

24. Panthro Team Language

Agreed.

Or perhaps they should have tried this -

[​IMG]

:cwink:

25. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

That just doesn't scream Ms Marvel to me at all when I see that. It could just as well be a completely new character.