The Dark Knight Rack 'em uuuppp! The TDK Award Tracker

B/c It's still a movie in the bastard stepchild genre in their eyes IMO.
Well, the reason why critics threw around the word "Oscar" while reviewing TDK was because it was a bastard stepchild genre film on the way to Harvard. :word: There was no cheesy, safe "comic book movie" plot, it was all seriousness.

Great word usage! :applaud
LOL, what can I say, it was late. :o

Just goes to show that Superhero movies don't have to stick to a certain formula. They have to start evolving or run the risk of going the way of the Western, TDK is the start, hopefully others will follow.
Exactly. Although I dunno if I'd claim it "changed the way cinema is made" in general quiiiiiiite yet. But no doubt it has made its mark on the comic book movie formula.

Well, the reason why critics threw around the word "Oscar" while reviewing TDK was because it was a bastard stepchild genre film on the way to Harvard. :word: There was no cheesy, safe "comic book movie" plot, it was all seriousness.

Exactly. Although I dunno if I'd claim it "changed the way cinema is made" in general quiiiiiiite yet. But no doubt it has made its mark on the comic book movie formula.

When I say change the way cinema is made I'm talking about the Summer Blockbuster, not all of cinema, for years the Summer Blockbuster has suppose to have been a bright, family friendly, easy on the eyes popcorn flick that is Hollywood means of making money, TDK did the exact opposite of what you're suppose to do, it was intelligent, it had depth, it was complex, it's was dirty, it was an artisitc indie film dressed up in clown make up and a cape and cowl, it basically threw the playbook out the window as to how you're suppose to make the Summer Blockbuster, and yet it made more money than some generic piece of fluff, if that isn't redefining what this type of cinema is then I don't know what is.

Last edited:
When I say change the way cinema is made I'm talking about the Summer Blockbuster, not all of cinema, for years the Summer Blockbuster has suppose to have been a bright, family friendly, easy on the eyes popcorn flick that is Hollywood means of making money, TDK did the exact opposite of what you're suppose to do, it was intelligent, it had depth, it was complex, it's was dirty, it was an artisitc indie film dressed up in clown make up and a cape and cowl, it basically through the playbook out the window as to how you're suppose to make the Summer Blockbuster, and yet it made more money than some generic piece of fluff, if that isn't redefining what this type of cinema is then I don't know what is.
I was gonna only quote one sentence, but that entire post WAS one sentence! :funny:

You're right, though. I'm still shocked it did as well as it did in the box office. Chris Nolan even said, accepting his Scream Award, that they'd joke among themselves during filming: What the heck were they doing making such a dark summer action film? They'd never work in Hollywood again! :lmao:

It's a different story than it was 6 months ago, the competition has fallen by the way side, in the wake of a rather poor year for film, and for the Academy to have any relevance anymore, TDK has to be seriously looked at, they may be reluctant, but the fact is this is one of those rare films that single handedly changed how cinema is made, in this case the June/July blockbuster, and on top of that there was near unanimously praised by critics and audiences. At worst it deserves nomination.

I'm not saying it doesn't deserve one, I have yet to see a better movie this year, however there are still enough movies still to open that could take it's place, we will see if the Academy is ruled by critics or not come nomination time..

Just goes to show that Superhero movies don't have to stick to a certain formula. They have to start evolving or run the risk of going the way of the Western, TDK is the start, hopefully others will follow.

I agree with all this, but perception is reality in the movie business.

Again I do fully recognize the risks and evolutionary qualities involved with TDK, but i am just not certain the Academy will see past the stigma.

You bring the wordism when it's late! :D

Exactly. Although I dunno if I'd claim it "changed the way cinema is made" in general quiiiiiiite yet. But no doubt it has made its mark on the comic book movie formula.[/quote]

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/11/22/for-your-consideration-heath-ledger-for-best-supporting-actor/

34486yf.jpg

I'm not saying it doesn't deserve one, I have yet to see a better movie this year, however there are still enough movies still to open that could take it's place, we will see if the Academy is ruled by critics or not come nomination time..

It's been an ordinary year for cinema, and I'm doubtful it's gonna get any better in the few weeks remaining, as a result, the Academy is going to have to grow some balls and swallow its pride, really with the ever decreasing ratings of the Oscars and the ever increasing perception that the Academy is seen as elitist, it's in their best interest to nominated a mainstream movie when one good enough comes along.

I agree with all this, but perception is reality in the movie business.

Perception was always 'Superhero movies aren't for grown ups', enter one C. Nolan who says 'Like hell they aren't. It only takes one thing to change perception and in this case it was Chris Nolan, I'm really hopeful Nolan will kick start the evolution of the Superhero genre from being formulaic popcorn flicks to a genre with some substance to it.

Again I do fully recognize the risks and evolutionary qualities involved with TDK, but i am just not certain the Academy will see past the stigma.

It was also said they wouldn't see past the Hobbits and Lightsabres, the Academy gets a bad rap sometimes but really, every so often when that one big film comes along, they do reward it with recognition despite the subject/genre not traditionally being 'Oscar worthy'. Have some faith man.

It's been an ordinary year for cinema, and I'm doubtful it's gonna get any better in the few weeks remaining, as a result, the Academy is going to have to grow some balls and swallow its pride, really with the ever decreasing ratings of the Oscars and the ever increasing perception that the Academy is seen as elitist, it's in their best interest to nominated a mainstream movie when one good enough comes along.

If TDK is nominated, I hope it's not just because of the ratings. But if it is, you can't help but think that after last year's worst ratings. But yeah, this year it doesn't seem to be any real Oscar worthy films like a No Country For Old Men or anything like that. TDK does have a chance if the academy swallows their damn pride and can nominate a film. Sit down and watch it.

I think TDK does deserve a Best Picture nom. It's certainly the best film I've seen so far this year, though there's still time. And I'm not just saying that as a fanboy; this is the first time I can honestly say that a comic film was the best film I saw that year.

That being said, I agree that TDK shouldn't be nominated if it's going to be about ratings.

Nominating bigger films isn't the way to fix their ratings. Making the Oscar-worthy films more accessible, playing on more screens across the country, will fix the ratings.

Of course people aren't going to care about No Country for Old Men; it wasn't playing anywhere in their town!

I had a hard time trying to see There Will Be Blood last year, but I could've caught twelve showings of Epic Movie in one day. That doesn't mean Epic Movie should be nominated, it means more people should have the opportunity to see TWBB.

It's all about politics when it comes to the Oscars so it wouldn't surprise me if it was nominated just for ratings, but I'm hopeful if TDK get a nod, it's on it's merits.

it begs the question:

Which is the better thread? This one, or the OSCAR PUSH!?

I have an idea.

Dark Sentinel, how about you update the first post to include all nominations and wins that The Dark Knight receives? Kinda hard to keep track throughout this thread and the "Oscar Push" thread.

First post: TDK also won "Hollywood Movie of the Year Award" from Hollywood Awrds (voting was on Yahoo movies website...). ;)

Heath Ledger won the Australian Film Institute award for best actor and also won Australias GQ Man of the Year for actors too I think....

TDK leads the Saturn Award nominations with 11. :yay:

Best Action-Adventure/Thriller Film

Best Actor: Christian Bale

Best Actress: Maggie Gyllenhaal

Best Supporting Actor: Aaron Eckhart and Heath Ledger

Best Director

Best Writing

Best Music: James Newton Howard (I guess only one nomination per composer and Zimmer was nominated for Iron Man)

Best Costume

Best Make-Up

Best Special Effects
http://www.saturnawards.org/nominations.html

djfkajfklajfas High School Musical 3 just beat The Dark Knight on the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards! It wasnt even a Holocaust movie! WTF?! I blame the kids!

djfkajfklajfas High School Musical 3 just beat The Dark Knight on the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards! It wasnt even a Holocaust movie! WTF?! I blame the kids!

And you were watching that because......?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"