RoboCop Reboot - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lion has finally started to really stir, with MGM announcing its first post-bankruptcy co-financing deal Thursday and studio execs telling creative reps that it's moving on a quintet of projects, including remakes of 1980s pics "Mr. Mom" and "The Idolmaker" and long-gestating reboots of "RoboCop" and "Poltergeist."
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118032494

I'd love to see this remade. I know the originals always better.

Movies that sucked and could be rebooted and done right;

League of extraordinary gentlemen
King Solomon's mines
Van Helsen
etc

Don't go after the classics.

You don't remake something because it sucks... You remake it because its a good story that should be retold. RoboCop is perfect. While the original was a classic, a modern day retelling could easily work.

Seems relevant:-

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=23535915&postcount=998

Basically, there is the opposing arguement to what you've said - In short, maybe a movie had a fantastic concept but just wasnt realised properly to do the concept justice - those type of movies deserve to be remade over movies that are damned near perfect to begin with.

So what if that movie was made 20 or 30 years or so ago - it needs to be remade for 'a fresh take' to suit younger audiences who may have missed it the 1st time around?

Ya I bet those early suit stuff was just early ideas that where scraped for something more classic. I still think in need it probably be a sleek suit like ironman was. And like ironman probably have some pratical suits and some half suits/mocap suit actor/stunt folks wear.

As for rating I would love if it is R like original. But a lot of folks have brought up good points on why its likely pg 13, so it can make more buck. But even if its pg 13 maybe they will stretch the rating for what its worth. Plus maybe they will do a directors cut/unrated cut for video release.

As for the stuff on theme of films and based on going by old film on how murphy becomes robocop/lost of humanity. I doubt that means robo won't show up to end. I like I said in old thread just think joe/joel want to play more on the aspect of turning a man to machine and how that effects his phyche and all that.

Just got done watching Robocop. All in all an excellent film, this doesn't really need a remake, but if I were to remake it myself here is what I'd suggest doing:

Less television news sections. -- The first few sets the tone of the film keep the ones at the beginning and the few dealing with Robocop and the strike... nix the rest.

More time on building Robocop and not just him waking up every now and then and seeing bits of progress. I'd liek to see just why he still has memories and how the actual workers feel about what it is they are doing.

Have Anne Lewis riding along Robocop as insurance that if something goes wrong there is a human cop there to stop him. It seems very dangerous PR wise to just let an untested in the field Cyborg out onto the public alone. This also gives her more time to rebond with Murphy onscreen.

The scenes with Murphy's widow from the sequel should have been in this film.

Sam Jackson for the black board member who gives Murphy the thumbs up for killing Dick Jones. It just has to be!

For me the only thing in the original movie that doesn't hold up is the character design of the ED-209 and the defeat of the ED-209, other than that as a screen writer I would be hard pressed to think of ways to improve the original.

But this isn't about making just one film, MGM is remaking the franchise. RoboCop2 and 3 were disasters along with the TV series and contributed to Orion going bankrupt. Orion made the first film but ran into financial troubles so MGM scooped up the rights and then MGM declared bankruptcy and now MGM/Sony intend to make some money on their investment.

If done right they can have 2-3 sequels, a video game, comic books, figurines, action figures, cartoon show and who knows what else, a spinoff franchise. Repeat every 10-15 years.

http://www.screenslam.com/cinema.php?vid=VhbDAwNTp32h9ObypGvBrOL1J_n-EJLz

Interesting little interview with the director. He seems to "semi-confirm" the budget is around 100 million.

To me honestly, I am not against remakes that try to take certain aspects and go in some new directions. I am very interested to see where this goes. I hope the suit is still mainly robotic, but I'm not against a redesign. Some act as if Robocop is some iconic hero that everyone knows, sadly that is not the case. I mean we've had redesigns of heroes way more popular and iconic, Batman comes to mind.

From the posters I like the redesign, and I hope he's still mainly a robot. But regardless I'm very intrigued and excited for this project. It has a great cast already.

Jose Padilha is a class act. He's an incredibly smart man so I know he can pull it off.

This movie has crept up my anticipation list for next year, I was sold on the quality of the lead but the cast additions have really been excellent.

I think of all the movies we are waiting to get glimpses of for next year, the thing I am looking forward to most is the first look at Robocop himself, I feel his design will be make or break for the film.

This movie is looking excellent! The cast so far is great. It's been a long time since i saw the original, i was still a kid, it may be time to watch it again and prepare for this one. Hoping to hear (or see) more from this one soon.

This movie has crept up my anticipation list for next year, I was sold on the quality of the lead but the cast additions have really been excellent.

I think of all the movies we are waiting to get glimpses of for next year, the thing I am looking forward to most is the first look at Robocop himself, I feel his design will be make or break for the film.
I think that's basically the final thing we need to see to be convinced this can be something truly special. So far so good.

Hunter I really recommend for you to watch Tropa De Elite 1 & 2 whenever you have the chance. A brilliant look into the bureaucratic mess when it comes to government, corruption & honesty within police and the naive nature of gangs. Padilha gives an incredible look at the endless waltz.

I still feel if they can take the overall classic elements of robo like the colors, helmet, leg gun, and mix it up a bit like maybe a slight sleeker look/ironman like design they can find a good balance of a new look but keeping fans of original happy.

I'm expecting there to be a split, regarding the 'eye's visibility' subject.

One thing that has me curious is how they're going to handle the death of Alex Murphy.

I mean, whatever they do will inevitably be compared to his "classic" death in the original so I wonder what there approach will be.

Figured that's a given.

But will we see him blatantly blown away and show it all in detail just as they did the original or will they try to go with a very different approach. Perhaps more restrained? Maybe he'll get taunted and beaten to a pulp and simply capped in the head as opposed to...his hand getting blown off, stumble a few steps, arm getting blown off, still standing around while getting blasted away, still alive until finally he's shot dead.

I guess for me, i'm just very curious to see if they're willing to go as "balls out" as they did in the original or go in a completely different direction.

All I want is a head (brain) shot that makes people wonder if he could still be Murphy after he is made into Robocop.

It'll be hard to top Murphy's death in the original, especially if this remake opts for CG gore like so many movies do these days.

First how death is show first counts on rating for film. If its R I could see something simular to original with getting blasted apart by some crooks. If its pg 13 I could see something a little tamer like he gets in a car accident. His car blows up. And they recover half his body and his brain.

That would be kinda lame, IMO. Murphy's death would be much more powerful if it was tied to the villain.

And who's to say either way I mentioned wouldn't be tied to one of the films villains.

Car accident seems anti-climatic.

Unless of course its a car accident and he's lit up Mafia style and/or Training Day style.

Ya that could work. I was just tossing up ideas going by what could be seen on screen via different ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"