• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Oh my God, I completely forgot about that Agatha Harkness show

59c912db216ac16ba61c31fb3bd95325.gif
While I think an Agatha show is completely unnecessary, I do love me some Kathryn Hahn so I'll play along in this case.

Yeah, I never understood why there's so much hate towards '98 Godzilla. It's a perfect adventure film for a rainy Saturday night that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Yeah, definitely one for rainy Saturday nights !

Great soundtrack too.

It was mostly bland aside from Broderick and some of the supporting characters being annoying.

To me, the weakest link in the MCU has always been RDJ. I've never liked him as Iron Man...

My exposure to Iron Man in the comics is admittedly limited, but my understanding is that the whole 'Billionaire Playboy' thing was always a ruse to protect his secret identity, similar to Bruce Wayne in the Batman books.

In the movies, I've always felt that RDJ took the whole 'smarmy' thing to the 9th, which I found incredibly annoying and distracting. In fact, if RDJ, Ben Affleck, and Ryan Reynolds never made another movie, I could happily live with it.

Watching Die Hard again for the umpteenth time this past Christmas, I still maintain that Alan Rickman in his prime would have made the ideal Tony Stark...

Along that same vein, I always thought Die Hard-era Rickman would have been a great James Bond.

Sans beard, obviously.

To me, the weakest link in the MCU has always been RDJ. I've never liked him as Iron Man...

My exposure to Iron Man in the comics is admittedly limited, but my understanding is that the whole 'Billionaire Playboy' thing was always a ruse to protect his secret identity, similar to Bruce Wayne in the Batman books.

In the movies, I've always felt that RDJ took the whole 'smarmy' thing to the 9th, which I found incredibly annoying and distracting. In fact, if RDJ, Ben Affleck, and Ryan Reynolds never made another movie, I could happily live with it.

Watching Die Hard again for the umpteenth time this past Christmas, I still maintain that Alan Rickman in his prime would have made the ideal Tony Stark...

Wow. That's an interesting take - I totally disagree, but hey, this isn't the "popular opinions " thread, so fair play to you.

What about Tom Cruise ?

Imagine he'd been Tony Stark. Less smarmy, but he does cocky really well. I think it would have worked.

Wow. That's an interesting take - I totally disagree, but hey, this isn't the "popular opinions " thread, so fair play to you.

What about Tom Cruise ?

Imagine he'd been Tony Stark. Less smarmy, but he does cocky really well. I think it would have worked.

Ya I definitely hid under my bed for awhile after posting this. I know I'm definitely in a minority here...

Obviously it's just a personal thing but RDJ has just never worked for me as Tony Stark. He's great at playing sleaze ball characters but I've never found him to be convincing at stoicism...

It's interesting that you bring up Tom Cruise. As an uber fan I'm hoping the MoM rumors are true. I'd love to see him take a crack at this character, even as a variant...

UNPOPULAR OPINION 1 Tokyo Drift was one of the better Fast and Furious films ( for context, my favorite is still the first one).

Here's why:

1. It's actually about street racing, not ridiculous super spy heists that border on science fiction and have devolved into generic maguffin hunts.

2. The characters have understandable motivations, and believable abilities and limitations. Most of them are good at driving and automotive mechanics - no one is a world class hacker as well as looking like a supermodel and being able to fight like Bruce Lee.

3. The stunts are based on practical effects and real driving skill, not cgi bull****, and are almost all possible within the laws of physics. E.g. nobody tows a ****ing safe at high speed.
This DESTROYS the suspension of disbelief.
The reason I care about this aspect is that it's the filmmakers showing some respect to the audience . What I'm trying to say is that in a street racing film, the convention requires some restraint in how impossible stunts can be. We live in an age where Tom Cruise is doing unbelievable practical stunts, so there's no excuse for the cgi nonsense. Also, Gone in 60 Seconds....but I'll get to that.

4. It treats Japanese culture with respect but doesn't take itself too seriously or get pretentious . It manages to make Japan look interesting, without seeming like a travel video.

5. No one says "Family". The director knows the audience is smart enough to figure out how the characters feel about each other.

UNPOPULAR OPINION 2: For the above reasons
Gone In 60 Seconds is also a better movie than nearly all of the Fast and Furious films.

Morbius looks horrible. It has everything against it (for me): I don't like Jared Leto, I don't like Tyrese Gibson, I don't like Matt Smith, I don't like Sony's attempt to milk their Spider-Man character catalogue without Spider-Man, I don't like their special effects. It's all kinds of awful. I'm avoiding it like the plague.

Morbius looks horrible. It has everything against it (for me): I don't like Jared Leto, I don't like Tyrese Gibson, I don't like Matt Smith, I don't like Sony's attempt to milk their Spider-Man character catalogue without Spider-Man, I don't like their special effects. It's all kinds of awful. I'm avoiding it like the plague.
I think out of that whole post, the only thing you said that constitutes an unpopular opinion is "I don't like Matt Smith", at least around these boards. But I suppose as a whole, the general audience seems to be more forgiving towards the Morbius movie than superhero/comic book fans.

You know, I kind of liked it. Don't get me wrong, why does Morbius need a movie ? **** knows ?

Still, it looked entertaining and at the moment that's enough for me.

I've seen the Reacher films and the Reacher series.

My unpopular opinion is that Tom Cruise - while clearly NOT the physical match for the character, he does a better job of being intimidating.

Alan Ritchson is a huge man, tall and built like John Cena. He has a huge physical presence, but Tom Cruise is just a much better actor, and when he wants to project menace ...he does.

There are a few moments in the Reacher films when Cruise channels his character from Collateral, Vincent - a ruthless hit man.

As such, I think Cruise deserved more accolades for the performance.

Gonna have the pitchforks out against me for this one.............heath ledgers joker is overrated and the Nolan trilogy is joyless and overrated too, Nolan in general is an overrated director and his films all come across as thinking they're far more clever than they actually are.

I think I'd rank the Scream series in release order. I know a lot of people tend to rank 4 over 3 and sometimes maybe even 2, but for me they just seem to get less and less interesting with each instalment. Though in terms of pure enjoyment, I enjoy 2 and 3 about the same amount.

Yeah I think they probably should have stopped at 3. I think maybe 5 was a little better than 4 but at least 4 had prominent roles for the three returning characters. Their appearances in 5 felt like cameos. Sidney’s appearance in particular felt like Charlton Heston coming in at the very, very end of Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

I think Guillermo del Toro is the most overrated director of our modern period.

Except for Blade II I haven't loved any of his movies. I'm not saying his movies are bad; I'm just saying I can't understand why everything he does is met with universal acclaim.

And for the record, I've seen just about all of his movies except for Devil's Backbone and Cronos...

I think Guillermo del Toro is the most overrated director of our modern period.

Except for Blade II I haven't loved any of his movies. I'm not saying his movies are bad; I'm just saying I can't understand why everything he does is met with universal acclaim.

And for the record, I've seen just about all of his movies except for Devil's Backbone and Cronos...

Yeah I like Del Toro but I feel like he gets tons of accolades because his visual style is really good and critics ignore his periodic inability to tell an engaging story. He has made a few films I loved (Pan’s Labyrinth, The Shape of Water and Nightmare Alley). But he’s also made some films that I found damn near unwatchable like Hellboy 2 and Crimson Peak. He also did that Strain TV series, which was so cheesy that it felt like a horror film set in the Schumacher Batman universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"